The Marriage Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,651 Followers

One of the men, a Bear I had not met yet, broke to the center amid some cheers and did a few complex steps before returning to the circle. The lady next to him was called out and she twirled her way inside the circle and returned once more to the edge, smiling. One by one we were all called to the center, the princess the most willing of all. Her fluid movements were a pleasure to behold and the way she ended on the tips of her toes was stunning.

I had not expected the dance to be enjoyable. I was not sure if it was my joy or Angelica's that made the time pass so quickly. We finally broke out of the circle on the sixth song, sweating and laughing like children.

"I must admit, I found that enjoyable," I said, trying to catch my breath. Angelica gave a slight nod to our parents. They were still sitting calmly at the head table pretending to enjoy the spectacle.

"It will be unseemly for us in time. Promise me we will have fun while it is allowed," Angelica pleaded. I could see my mother's foot tapping under the main table. She wanted to be out in the circle. It would be undignified for the queen and the king to be seen hopping about. It was a day of revelations about my future.

"Yes, of course," I answered quickly, "for as long as we can." I was unexpectedly rewarded with a kiss on the cheek. We finished the banquet at the head table, talking with our parents. Both sets were pleased we were getting along. The rest of the banquet went quietly, at least from my point of view. We said cordial goodnights when it seemed appropriately late. I again kissed my bride's cheek, reminding her of our ride in the morning.

I had not forgotten about Alia. It was terrible how the spill unfolded, my ignoring her until Mother stepped in. I had to speak with Alia and sooth our hearts. I could not imagine the pain she was experiencing. Lucius was my key to that meeting. I stopped him as he gathered my day's clothes for laundry.

"I need to see Alia," I instructed him and added, "alone."

"Tonight, my Lord?" Lucius gasped. I had to smile at his fear. He always worried about the propriety of things.

"No, I fear the nights are over, my friend. I have an apology and a future to offer. There is no more I can give her, though it pains me to think on it." It made me sad to announce it out loud. Somehow it was more of a certainty when it came from my lips. Lucius looked relieved.

"My sorrows, my Lord," Lucius said, knowing my true heart, "what is your plan?"

"I ride with the princess in the morning. After, she will bathe, giving us that time. The library should be empty with guests about," I surmised, "ask Alia to meet there."

"I will tell her," Lucius said. "I know how it grieves you. I am sorry there is naught I can do."

"The duties of the heir have caught up with us, Lucius," I stated, "I will fight them no longer." I went to bed and slept well. I had thought my mind would be preoccupied, and dreams would fight me. I could only assume the proposed meeting with Alia allowed my mind to rest. I needed the sleep. I aged too much in one day.

I met Angelica at the stables in the morning. Her speckled mare was saddled and waiting. I had assumed the small gray palfrey she arrived on was hers. The hostler was just bringing out Storm, my black stallion, when I approached. I would not have picked the large white and gray mare as Angelica's. The mare seemed a bit too much horse for a woman. Then again, Angelica tended to bend the rules. I could see by her almost manly outfit that side saddle was not an option for her. Her long red hair was pulled into a tight braid that ran down her back. I guessed my face showed my surprise.

"You expected a novice then?" Angelica asked sarcastically. Cory, the hostler, smiled at the statement, but attempted to hide it behind his hand.

"Good morn, my Lady," I called out, ignoring her jest.

"It truly is, my Prince," Angelica replied, "I have been so looking forward to the contest you promised me." To that I smiled, knowing it would be a real one.

"What is a contest without a wager, my Princess?" I was pushing it. There was a good chance I could lose. There is just something about a confident competitor that made me want to up the stakes.

"You are an heir to a kingdom. There are no equal stakes I can suggest," Angelica replied. There was only one that I could think of.

"Humiliation," I chuckled. "The loser admits the other is a better horseman at dinner." Cory choked on a laugh and almost lost Storm's bridle. Angelica looked at the hostler with bright eyes.

"You think I should agree, Sir?" Angelica asked sweetly.

"It is not my place, my Lady," Cory said, blushing.

"Feel free, Cory," I said good humoredly.

"Storm has good legs and my prince rides well," Cory said while patting the side of Storm's neck. "Your mare is no wagon puller, and she is spirited this morning. Your bearing, my Lady, speaks well of how you handle a horse. I say it may come down to weight. That would give you the advantage, my Lady."

"There you have it," Angelica said, looking at me, "I accept because you are fat." Cory's eyes nearly popped out of his head.

"My Lady, I never.." I cut Cory off with a wave of my hand.

"It is in jest," I calmed him. "The princess is just stirring me up."

"'Tis true, Sir," Angelica added with charm, "and thank you for the fine care of Sunrise. She looks the happier for it." Cory beamed with pride and bowed deeply. Angelica had made a loyal friend in that moment. The kingdom could do much worse than her as its queen.

We took our rides out and let them slowly warm up. The day was turning cloudy, but the temperature was still well comfortable. A large open field lay before the castle. It was quite a way before the first farms started and the town proper lay well on the other side and out of view. A few sheep, our only company, were grazing lazily on grasses.

"I confess, I believed you would be a dull toad afore yesterday," I said as an off kilter compliment. Someone had to start the conversation.

"I had much the same thoughts," Angelica responded, "I was not looking forward to this union. If it must happen, then I am glad it is you and not some bloated old man."

"You will settle for a fat young man?" I jested. Angelica laughed.

"You are easy enough on the eyes, my Prince. You allowed me my dance and you give me my due as an equal." Angelica looked over to me with sincerity. "Whatever we make of this, you have my respect and friendship. I cannot offer more so soon."

"We have that in common, my Princess," I said, "respect and friendship is a good start."

"I asked you in the garden, 'would we keep secrets?' How do think now?" Angelica asked. Alia was the only secret I felt necessary to keep. I did not want to lie.

"In time," I answered, "I will tell you all. Some things are better kept hidden in the beginning, when they are too fresh to share."

"When you are ready then." Angelica nudged Sunrise into a trot. "You will tell me yours and I will tell you mine." She smiled shrewdly as she pulled away. I had not thought she might have secrets. Why it bothered me, I could not say. I prodded Storm and he joined Sunrise at a trot.

We rode up toward the apple orchard. The apples were all gone, but the foliage still held to its green. The wind was blowing slightly and a slight citrus rot was present in the air. I slowed Storm and Angelica slowed with me.

"On the other side of the orchard is the press shed," I continued when I was sure Angelica understood, "the apples are gone and the ground is clear and will not foul the footing. What say we race between the trees, first to the shed claims victory." I was cheating a little. I knew the orchard and how the trees lay.

"Agreed." Angelica then smiled and shouted, "Go!" It caught me off guard as she took off for the south side of the orchard where the lead trees were spaced farther apart. Sunrise was quick at the start and the shout caught Storm by surprise. He took a step backward before I could coax him forward. I was four lengths behind before I could get to a full gallop. Angelica never looked back and was showing great skill in setting her weight in step with Sunrise. I entered the north side of the orchard, where the trees were tighter in the leading edge, but blight had opened a deep path a little farther in. I gave Storm his head when I broke through the first rows of trees. We whipped past the stumpy remains of the removed trees and only had to slow to weave a few times. Although I could not see her, I knew the tight turns she must have been making.

It felt good to become one with Storm. It had been a while since I gave him his speed and he seemed to relish it. I broke through the final row and headed at a full gallop for the shed at the end of the field.

Angelica broke through well behind me and yelled at Sunrise who answered with additional speed. I should not have turned to see since it unbalanced Storm slightly and allowed Sunrise to gain. I rose in my stirrups and encouraged Storm who answered with his own renewed effort. I reached the shed a few lengths before Angelica, feeling fortunate it was as near as it was. I had doubts a longer race would have left me the victor. Cory was correct, her lighter weight was a distinct advantage. That, and she was well schooled in handling a horse.

Angelica laughed when we finally caught our breath. Our horses were lathered and panting along with us. "Well won, my Prince," Angelica said, seemingly unconcerned with the loss. It was the game that intrigued her.

"I fear I would have lost if the shed were any farther," I admitted. "You ride well, my Princess." Angelica smiled and dismounted. I followed suit. We walked the horses a bit to give them a rest after pushing them so hard.

"While the queens and I were in the garden yesterday, what was talked about?" Angelica asked. I felt she was testing the 'equals' portion of our agreement, seeing if I would hide affairs of state from her.

"We discussed the alliance," I answered honestly, "how it would work if it was needed. Command structures and strategies if joint command cannot be achieved. We will continue again this afternoon."

"If I ask, will you tell me what was decided?" Angelica posed the question with little confidence. It sounded on the verge of a plea. I was surprised and a slight bit offended she doubted me.

"My promise of equals stands, my Princess," I stated clearly, with a sour tone, "you need not doubt it. If you wish to know, you will know."

"No offense meant, my Prince," Angelica replied, "it is just that in the garden...the queens...well they said that a man's idea of equal is different from a woman's." I burst out laughing which caused Angelica to blush and be taken aback. I waved off her distress and controlled my laughter.

"The kings warned me the same," I chuckled, "I am supposed to be wary of a woman's sense of equal." Angelica's smile spanned the field as the juxtaposition became clear. She held out her hand which I took in mine, our mounts following closely behind.

"We will define our own equal then," Angelica said. I agreed and proceeded to tell her of the meeting of kings from the past day. She listened carefully and asked good questions. I spoke of the banner signals we had devised to coordinate battlefield movements when counsel could not be achieved.

"What about night?" Angelica asked. "Banners will not be seen. And distance and trees, for that matter, could make it difficult." She was right of course. None of us had thought of anything but a bright and open battlefield.

"You are right, my Lady," I agreed, "I shall bring it up this afternoon. Mayhap you should join the meeting."

"Father would not allow it, though I am glad you asked it," Angelica said as she was deep in thought. "Horns! They could signal long distances and in the night."

"True," I agreed nodding, "I shall broach it at the meeting."

"As your thoughts, not mine," Angelica said, gripping my hand harder, "they will not be ready for my words." It was true. It mattered not to me, but the kings were old and set in their ways. Warriors have a tendency to think they know best how to protect the women. They would not look highly upon the women telling them how.

"You have a good mind, Angelica," I said, "the kingdom will know it in time." She pulled me to a stop and turned toward me.

"We will be good together, Cayden," Angelica said softly, "whatever comes." I knew it to be true. Alone, I would be weaker. The use of our names made the conversation intimate. I leaned forward to kiss her cheek, instead I found her lips. They were not as soft as Alia's. They were more firm and dry. I preferred Angelica's cheek. She chuckled when we broke the kiss.

"We must work on that," Angelica said, "make it less like brother and sister." I smiled, knowing what she meant. There was no passion, only comfort. Maybe after Alia was gone. Maybe a hundred years after she was gone.

"I will want a rematch." Angelica changed the subject. "Tomorrow morning?"

"I cannot," I answered, "I must drill tomorrow. The next morning mayhap?"

"Yes, the next," Angelica agreed. Her hand felt comfortable in mine as we walked until we cleared the orchard. We remounted, both Sunrise and Storm excited, and headed back at a strong canter. I must admit, I found pleasure in her enjoyment. She wore an unconscious grin as we traversed the countryside, her braid bouncing joyfully in time with Sunrise's gait. I must remember to take her riding often.

Once we had the horses stabled, we parted ways. Angelica went to clean up and she thought the same of me. I instead headed quickly to the library. Lucius met me halfway, nodding secretly to let me know all was as I requested.

"I will wait out here, my Lord," Lucius said quietly as we approached the library door. There was only one way in and out. He would guard against interruption. I smiled weakly in acknowledgment and entered the room.

The room smelled of old paper. Books lined the walls, sitting on shelves made of sturdy oak. A small fire, surrounded by stone, burned in the hearth well away from anything flammable. There were four chairs with lush red cushions surrounding a small round table. Alia stood there, behind the farthest chair. My heart jumped, the brown curls framing her face, her eyes deep dreams of ocean blue. I closed the distance and she hesitantly moved toward me. I saw tears as I got closer and her pain filled me. I said nothing as I wrapped her in my arms and closed my lips over hers. There was passion in her soft lips, promises of love and forgiveness. Here is how I wished to spend the rest of my life. Alia in my arms.

"You make it more difficult, my Lord." Alia pulled herself into me. "I miss you so and this will worsen it." It would. She had the right of it. She buried her head into my chest. I lowered my lips and kissed the top of her head amidst the curls that always seemed so lively.

"I had to," I said, "I could not...the thought of you leaving without my words. It was more than I could bear."

"Your bride is beautiful, my Lord." It was almost a whimper. I think she wished her to be more homely. I would not lie, not now.

"Yes," I replied, "she is intelligent, wise in her own way and beautiful. But she is not you. That is her weakness and I will suffer for it the rest of my days." Alia looked up with watery eyes.

"You must not, my Lord. She will bear your heirs. You must not think of me any more." Alia broke down then. The tears flowed freely. Mine, too, were following.

"I could no more do that than cut off my own head," I choked out, "my heart will always be yours. I cannot change that now." We held each other for a small eternity. Neither speaking, knowing this was likely the last.

"My mother found out. She will see to your future and the king backs it," I broke the silence. Alia looked at me and sighed.

"I told her, my Lord. You refused to let me go. I did what I must." Now I knew why my parents respected her and desired her well taken care of. Alia looked down at the floor, I sensed shame filling her. I tenderly lifted her chin 'til our eyes joined.

"You were always wiser," I said, "I would have risked the kingdom." We kissed again. Her lips swept away the problems, if only for the moment. How I wished for more than a moment.

"I am sorry for the banquet," I apologized, "I wanted so much to not ignore you." I ran my palm down her soft cheek taking some tears with it.

"I knew, my Lord. We looked the fools 'til the queen helped." Alia was breathing deep, calming her ache. I hugged her closer, wanting to remember her in my arms. All those secret nights, the wonderful, laughing, joyful exploration. It was all one-sided and in the shadows. I could never have brought it out in the open, into the light of day. I will regret not standing proudly by Alia and claiming her to the world. It all ends in a small library among the musty smell of old books.

"I will always love you, Alia," I whispered my goodbye. She looked up to me.

"I will always love you, my Lord," Alia responded. Our lips joined for the last time.

"Yes, my Lady, the prince is inside," Lucius said loud enough so we could hear it. We parted from each other quickly, my heart tore as I moved. Alia headed quickly to the door; I moved to the bookcase feigning interest in the volumes there.

"My Lady." I heard Alia acknowledge the princess and I was sure it was accompanied by a quick curtsy.

"Good day to you, Alia," Angelica stated clearly. There was a smile in her tone and it did not sound diplomatic.

"I thought you went to bathe, my Princess," I stated, while continuing my fake search. I heard the door close. There was a pause before Angelica responded. I could only assume she waited for unwanted ears to leave.

"She is a beautiful woman," Angelica repeated her statement from last night.

"Who is, my Lady?" I tried ignorance once again. I pulled a book off the shelf and opened it to glance through it. I had no idea what the title was. There was no answer from Angelica. When the silence became too much to bear I looked up from the book I was not reading. Angelica was standing near the center of the room, hands on her hips and a large grin on her face. I had fooled no one. I sighed and placed the book back on the shelf.

"She is very beautiful," I said, resigned to the truth, "she is in my mind when I wake and she is the last thing I think of afore I sleep." Angelica did not move or change her expression. "I will not apologize to you, for it is she who is owed the apology. Alia has my heart and soon she will take it away with her. The secret, my Lady, is yours now. Do with it what you will." I was not sure what I expected, possibly shouting and screaming. What I received was quite different.

"I knew last night," Angelica said without losing her smile, "it was mean of me to make you voice it." It did not seem to bother her. She seemed to be enjoying her deduction.

"It pains me. Making light of it hurts more," I said crossly. Angelica's smile disappeared.

"I will jest no more," Angelica said softly, "nor will I condone the situation. We will repair it, together."

"Alia is joining my aunt's household." I paused for a moment, then added, "You interrupted our goodbye. There will be no threat to our union and nothing left to repair."

"I never felt threatened," Angelica said slyly, "I know your mind and you know mine. We will marry no matter our pasts." She moved closer to me, and, for some reason, I felt uncomfortable. I did not move, only stiffened. "I am happy you know love. I am happy it is no longer a secret between us. If I could undo this for us, I would." She raised her hand to my cheek and caressed it. "I will do what I can, for you and for me." Her lips replaced her hand, a light kiss, almost non-existent. She conveyed a mountain of empathy with that kiss. "Now, I must find the baths afore lunch." The smile returned to her face.

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,651 Followers