The Memory of Place

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Me? Oh, right after the funeral, Tom. Lisa made me promise not to tell you."

"And the baby's mine?"

"Well, the blood test for the other guy, Drew, turned out negative. He insisted, wanted to...he wanted proof. So, he was happy, anyway, and moved on. Then Lisa found out she was sick, back in August. That's when she came to see me."

"I see."

"She wants you to raise the baby."

"I see."

"Thomas," JeanPaul said, "look at this baby girl. This new life. It is yours, this life."

Thanks, JP, always nice to have another master of understatement in the family. I walked closer to Liz, looked closely at the little girl bundled up in my ex-wife's arms, and I gasped when I looked at the little girl.

She looked exactly like pictures of my mother when she had been so fresh and new.

I took her from Liz and held her close.

◊◊◊◊◊

We moved down to the coast, my two girls and I, and we moved aboard aquaTarkus. Moved on for good. But not before Madeleine and I married on Christmas Eve, in the little chapel by my mother's house -- by my home, really -- my home by the sea near Hennequeville. Liz stayed for the wedding, and even Marie came, too. Jean Paul talked about a reconciliation while Luc and Claire played with little Elizabeth in the snow afterwards. Madeleine and I decided to put Lisa's ashes in the yard by my parent's tree, so Elizabeth would always have the sanctity of familial love focused intently on the spot that had united us all, once upon a time -- when my father fell from the sky.

I wanted Elizabeth to always know the memory of place. Her place in the world.

So, yes, we moved aboard, for good. We resolved to live our lives afloat, to carry Madeleine's practice to distant lands, where she could bring the miracle of her strength and love to those bereft of hope, to those bereft of peace. And yes, to those bereft of love.

After all, she and JP had given this to me, this love I had no reason to expect. And my daughter, and the love that surrounds her, was a part of this gift, because you never know where the next memory will come from. In the spring I sit with my girls in the cool shade of my parent's tree, this impossible tree of our life, and I watch her cool budding arms reach for the winds that will carry us on our way.

©2007-2016 Adrian Leverkühn | abw

1...456789
  • COMMENTS
8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Well done. A touching if somewhat obscure romance.

Thank you for the drama and the suspense and the lust and, mostly, the love. But I would have preferred a bit more logic. OK, a lot more logic.

Why did Liz divorce Tom? If you think you told us, you didn't. Why did Liz want to reconcile with Tom? Why didn't Tom and Liz talk about it where we could listen, or did they even discuss the dissolution of their lives together? Seems kind of cold, or that it somehow became irrelevant to them. Must have been a pretty shallow and tepid relationship.

Why did Tom rely on the baby's blood test, rather than a definitive DNA test? We know Lisa was capable of lying, and would do whatever she could get away with to guarantee her child's welfare. Did Lisa not have any family that wanted to raise her child, or at least wanted to be in her life? Is that why Lisa was buried in a foreign country, because she had no family? Since Tom was not her husband I don't see how he had any say in where Lisa was to be buried. And why did Tom name his daughter after his ex-wife, rather than her own mother, or maybe Tom's mother? That was weird. Will Liz continue to have some connection with Tom, and Elizabeth? Wonder how Madeleine feels about that?

So many questions, that I hope do not bother you. But they occurred to me, so I thought I would ask.

Thank you for your time and effort.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
Always happy to follow along an AL literary pathway

This is one of those contemplative sagas that tugs at the emotional boundaries we live within. Liz experienced (sellers?) remorse after the divorce. Lisa stepped over the ethical line while granting a colloquial form of "mercy". It was almost jarringly abrupt when our narrator sailed the Atlantic to discover a family we knew nothing about. All the while Liz and Lisa are altering his future in his absence and without his knowledge or involvement.

In an over simplified way I wish we had been an observer during the decision making process.

Thanks Aa for another marvellous tale.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 7 years ago
Good Prose and a Good Plot

Definitely an outstanding story. The plot was unusual to say the least. As it meandered along I felt carried by the story and although I was somewhat put out by the outlook of a 9 page story I decided to go through with it in installments.

I did think that Liz's defection from the marriage was somewhat abrupt. After 25 years she gets into a tight affair based on sex? Can a relationship go by the boards because the wife is enamored of a big cock? I'd like to think that reasonable people don't do that. I have experienced two relationships that lost their luster with time, but not through unfaithfulness. I recognized after both ended (one in divorce and one from Cancer) that the secret is hard work and communication. I was not really good at either, but I know that a relationship like Liz and Thomas had should have been good enough to withstand a bit of weather.

I thought the ending was a little trite. He does turn out to be Lisa's child's father and Lisa conveniently steps out of the story with Cancer. There's nothing that says that people can't wrestle with next steps and new directions and make mistakes in the process. Thomas made his share, but I think I agree with most of his steps. Certainly a 5* performance and I will go back and read some other (hopefully shorter) stories by this author.

I was amazed to see the phrase: "likety-split". Haven't seen that in ages!

imatrojanmanimatrojanmanover 7 years ago
Good one!

Good story as always! I, however, had some trouble following at times. The fine line between clever prose and wordiness seemed to be crossed at times. This seemed to have too much literary detail and imagery at times. For me, it distracted rather enhanced the experience.

Like the other commentors, these places: New Zealand, Charleston, France, California, etc are an important part of this southerner's life experience. It is nice to see them featured. Maybe throw in a whale spotting experience near Kaikoura next time!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Beautiful

As always, I was lost on your story. Thank You again!

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

The Rehab Following one's dreams.in Romance
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Hero's Reward One brave deed holds the key to unlocking a scarred heart.in Romance
Her Fairy-Tale Life She saves his life and he transforms hers.in Romance
Save One Love Adopted daughter helps wounded father find love.in Romance
More Stories