The Midnight Apothecary Pt. 02

Story Info
Rolduin is about to see more than he can believe...
2.3k words
4.45
1.9k
1
0

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 11/01/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bbrattan
bbrattan
32 Followers

Cara Cantrell felt sweat under her arms. She couldn't let the Preserver of Rites find out about the Midnight Apothecary Shop, but it looked like they were going to pass by. She relaxed her grip on the wooden floorboards.

Indeed, as she watched out the window, the woman with short brown hair swung up onto her mount and looked to the Preserver of Rites, who nodded and urged her own horse forward. She felt her body relax a little.

Then, just as the other woman turned to motion the protectors behind her to follow, the door swung open, and Sharl was standing in the opening. The robe he wore hung down nearly to his knees, even on his tall, thin frame. Behind Sharl, light leaked through the doorway.

"Cara?"

She watched through the window as the brown-haired woman turned in her saddle and squinted at the window.

"Shit."

She turned to the man who had come to her door seeking sanctuary from some unknown threat. The stranger had blond hair cut shaggy around his face and falling just to the back of his neck and a short, blond beard. He wore traveling clothes, but they looked new—hardly dirty at all. The clothes were still so stiff she could hardly make out his build beneath them, though by his face, the man looked fairly young, maybe twenty, and he appeared to be trim. Briefly, she wished he had come here for her remedies. She'd have liked to see where his secret desires laid.

Most noteworthy about the stranger right now, however, was that he also stared at the woman outside the window. Now she knew. This man had the Arcani after him, and this night was turning into a nightmare. To the stranger, she mouthed the words, Stay still.

She held up a hand to Sharl and stood. After she crossed from the corner to the doorway where Sharl stood, she shouted across the room, toward the main door.

"A moment, please."

She curled a finger at Sharl, beckoning, and he leaned down closer to her height. When Sharl was nearer, she whispered to him.

"Get the wanderer to the back." She grabbed the collar of Sharl's robe, making sure she had his attention. "Unseen."

Sharl nodded, the long, fine hair hanging down in his face. Then she turned and stomped toward the counter, making sure her steps were as loud as possible. She called toward the door again.

"A moment. I'm getting the lantern."

As she lit the flame, she heard the door behind her snikt closed. That meant Sharl and the wanderer were in the back. She took in a breath and walked toward the door at the front, holding the robe closed in front of her. She pulled the key from her pocket, unlocked the door, and turned the knob, pulling it open. Then she poked her head out into the night for the second time tonight.

This time, she looked up directly at the Preserver of Rites. The woman was tall with long blond hair and a serious face.

"I'm afraid the shop is closed in the evening. You'll have to come back during the day." She looked the Preserver of Rites up and down, making a show of taking in her religious cloak. "Rites Keeper."

Though it wouldn't have seemed possible, Preserver Falis stiffened further.

"I am the Preserver of Rites."

"Apologies. I didn't know."

Preserver Falis nearly choked on her words as she bent down toward Cara's face. "You didn't—know?"

She shrugged. "I'm newly apprenticed here."

"Then you should tell your master to train you properly—with respect for the order." The Preserver of Rites straightened up again, as though her body locked itself in place on a hinge. "Never mind that now. I'm looking for someone. A man." Preserver Falis held herself stiffly upright and looked down at her. "Have you seen anyone pass through?"

"Tonight? No."

The Preserver of Rites glanced over her head, into the shop, now dimly lit by the lantern.

"I'll come in and look around."

She pressed her lips together, and her heart turned into a caged finch in her chest. No, this night was not going as she had planned. "As you wish."

As she started to draw the door open, a familiar, thin voice called over to her. "Cara? What's going on here?" She held the door, still only cracked, and let out a calm breath.

Erling Roper, the apothecary shop's actual owner, trotted up to them. Erling was an older man with hair that had gone gray with streaks of white and receded inward from his temples. He had a mustache that matched the hair, white streaks and all. Erling was somewhat short for a human male but still taller than she, and thin with a bit of a potbelly.

The daytime apothecary looked from her face in the doorway to the tall, blond, unmistakable figure standing on the porch. His eyes widened briefly as they met hers. Then Erling addressed himself to the Preserver of Rites.

"Preserver Falis. What an honor to have you at our shop. Is all well with you?"

"I don't require anything from your shop, if that's what you mean."

"Well, I'm sure you didn't come to enjoy my pleasant company." Erling laughed, a high-pitched, wheeze of a sound. Most people found Erling's laugh friendly and disarming.

Falis, however, did not seem to think so. The Preserver of Rites did not return his laughter. In fact, Falis sneered down her nose at Erling. That pissed her off. She was the only person immune to Erling's ridiculous laughter, and she didn't appreciate someone else treating him that way.

"I'm looking for a man who may have come through here."

"Do you suspect he was in need of a remedy?"

"No. I suspect he was looking for a hideout."

Erling's eyes looked hurt. "And you think I'm hiding a fugitive in my shop?"

"There was a light within, and we heard a sound."

Erling gestured to her, still standing within the half-open doorway. "Clearly, it was my apprentice."

Falis turned toward her, eyes narrowed. "And what were you doing in the shop so late?"

She narrowed her own eyes. This woman clearly thought her younger than she was. She got that a lot from humans because of her size, and she didn't like it. She opened her mouth to speak, but Erling interjected.

"She was fetching me the dandelion root. That's why I came out here—to check what was keeping her." Erling turned toward her. "Speaking of which, did you find it?"

"I'm sorry. I suppose I'll have to go out and dig up some more tomorrow." She gritted her teeth, and once she realized she was doing it, tried to turn the expression into a contrite smile.

Falis looked down at her, and she swore the Preserver's sneer grew. Maybe it was the only kind of face the spiritual woman knew how to make.

"You're a halfling?"

She bit back the urge to respond with sarcasm. "Yes, I am."

"Maybe they don't teach you this in the woods, but it's not appropriate to go out in the streets in your night robe."

She gritted her teeth together. Halflings weren't woodland dwellers. Was this woman trying to make her lose her temper?

Falis turned back to Erling, a look of disgust on her face. "Apprentice, eh?"

Erling's face reddened. She knew the daytime apothecary wasn't the kind to take bait, though. Erling straightened up to his full height and grimaced. "Regardless of who she is, I really did need that dandelion root, and I'm afraid I must get back to my chambers. Please lock up the shop and accompany me back, Cara."

She slid out the door, still holding her robe closed in one hand, and started to pull it closed.

Falis held up a hand to halt Erling's retreat. "I need to look in there."

"I'm sorry—digestive troubles—this really can't wait. If you would like to purchase something from the shop, you'll have to come back during the day, Mistress Preserver."

Falis's mouth dropped open, and she started to speak, but Erling insisted.

"I'm afraid I can't let even you wander around the shop without any guidance to what the remedies do. It would be irresponsible of me."

She turned the key in the lock as Erling spoke to Falis, and then she reached up to put a hand on his lower back and pretended to guide him back to his home. Erling spoke over his shoulder.

"Thank you for the honor of your presence tonight, Holy One."

For her part, she struggled not to look back at the apothecary shop. Who knew what was happening in there now that the wanderer had seen what was actually in the back room.

Once inside Erling's house, the apothecary turned to her and raised one full, gray eyebrow. "Care to tell me what's going on over there tonight?"

"Where's your wine?"

"It must be bad. You never drink when you're in session." Erling reached into a low cupboard against the wall and pulled out a bottle of red wine and two glasses. The apothecary poured some into each glass and handed one to her. She sipped at it and then took a long drink.

"The man they're looking for? He came by the shop tonight, seeking a place to stay."

"Well, it's a good thing you don't let strangers into the Midnight Apothecary Shop." Erling sipped at his own wine, watching her over the rim of his glass.

She scrunched her face and pursed her lips. "No, I don't. Except that the gods-be-damned Arcani showed up at the doorstep while I was trying to get him out the door."

"Aww, I didn't know you had a soft spot, Cara."

"I don't! I just like the Arcani less than I like the usual wanderer. I figure if he's on the run from them, he's probably my kind of person—or at least the kind of person I don't mind helping out. I'm sure as hells not going to help out the Arcani." She took another drink. "The gods-be-damned Preserver of Rites, Erling! He must be on the Arcani's bad side if they're sending her after him personally."

Erling sighed and set his glass down on top of the cupboard. "Just because the man is at odds with a group we dislike doesn't necessarily mean we can trust him."

She crossed her arms over her chest, wine glass still in hand, and creeped over to Erling's window. She looked through the gap in the curtains to see if the Arcani were still out there. "I know that. You think I'm not losing my head right now worrying what's happening in my back chamber? I have no idea who this guy is or who he might talk to when he leaves."

She downed the rest of the wine in one gulp. "This could be the end of the Midnight Apothecary."

"Well, I certainly hope that's not the case." Erling took another sip. Half of what he poured remained in the glass still. "You know I'm counting on you sticking around for a while."

She nodded and continued watching out the window.

"I don't understand everything you do in there, but I have to admit that you certainly have found a need in this little town. You provide something that a lot of people sorely desire but are afraid to seek out."

She turned to Erling and smirked at him. "You mean you sorely have a desire for more money, and you're afraid that you'll lose the rent I pay you if my business goes under."

"You know I like you for more than your money, Cara." His jovial face spread in a grin. "But I do like the money. Another few years of The Midnight Apothecary Shop, and I can quit selling remedies here and retire in the city. Get an easy position teaching other people how to prepare the mixtures."

She had to laugh. She admired Erling's honesty, and she had to believe that was one of the things he had liked about her, as well. All in all, she couldn't have asked for a better business partner. She didn't want to get him in trouble with the Arcani, but he knew the risks when he made the agreement with her.

She closed the curtain and went to set the glass down on top of the cupboard. Outside, the Preserver of Rites and her entourage were gone.

"Do me a favor, Erling. Keep a watch. Let me know if the Arcani come back this way."

Erling nodded. "Be careful, Cara. I'm invested in you." He winked.

She tugged the gauzy robe tight across her body and cinched the knot in the belt tighter—not that the garment would do much to protect her from the wind. Then she opened Erling's door and padded barefoot across the clover and chamomile between the two buildings. She breathed in the apple scent of the chamomile flowers and enjoyed a brief feeling of superiority, knowing that taller people couldn't smell the sweet, low-growing plants as richly as she could.

She stepped up onto the porch, slid the key into the door, and once again entered the apothecary shop she shared with Erling. The front room where the tinctures, teas, and powders were kept was silent and dark. She made sure to close the door and lock it behind her, and then she dashed across the room to the door beside the apothecary counter.

Her heart sped up, and she took a breath and willed it to beat normally. She lifted her hand, and the loose opening of the robe slid down toward her elbow, revealing a small, brown cord wrapped around her wrist, and on the cord, an amulet.

As she held her wrist up to the door, the amulet glowed once and dimmed, unlocking the door. She turned the knob and tensed up, expecting the worst as she opened the door to the back of the shop—the place where she actually conducted the work of the Midnight Apothecary.

bbrattan
bbrattan
32 Followers