The Mystery at Faldor Hotel Ch. 32

Story Info
Eloise finds Susan.
6.9k words
4.69
9.6k
3
0

Part 32 of the 33 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/30/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, Eloise," Elora said, answering her friend's barely formed question, "It's me, Susan."

This didn't help Eloise much. Not at all, in fact. All she could do was goggle at the Dining Room Hostess, barely recognizable as the woman she used to be, yet unmistakably her just the same. She'd undergone such a transformation that, if she didn't know better, Eloise would have believed her to be Susan Quinn's sister. Not only were her facial features, hair colour and body different, but now her eyes were green. Even her height was different as she stood before her, at least three inches taller than she had been.

George's reaction to their unexpected visitors, Elora in particular, wasn't much different from Eloise's. Her lower jaw sagged before she could remember why that wasn't such a good idea and make it snap shut.

Bess, while surprised and even concerned, wasn't overly put off by the sudden arrival of these people, the first thought in her head being what a great orgy this situation could evolve into. Nancy, on the other hand, was quite concerned.

"What's going on here!?" she demanded, trying to put authority into her tone while a part of her mind wondered at what Elora and her aunt were talking about.

"You've been trying to figure that out since you've arrived, no?" Hildebrandt pointed out. "And you're really no closer now than you were then."

"Not for lack of trying, though," Sherriff Durant put in, a little distracted by Nancy in her provocative beachwear.

Knowing when it was time to put her cards on the table, at least most of them, Nancy retorted, "We came here looking for my Aunt's friend, Susan Quinn, who checked into this hotel over a week ago before completely disappearing!"

"I haven't disappeared at all," Elora said while Eloise continued to stare, her jaw moving as though she'd said something, but no sound came out.

"What do you mean!?" Nancy asked, now centering her attention on Elora.

"I am, or was, Susan Quinn, the woman you've been looking for."

Baffled by this, Nancy looked at her aunt, who was still staring aghast at Elora, asking, "Aunt Eloise? Is this true?"

"Y- uhhh... yes... Susan, what...?"

"What happened?" Elora finished for her in a tone that held no guilt, shame or hesitation. "Well, Eloise, by now I'd think you could figure that out for yourself. I came to Cinder Bay, I liked it here, it liked me, I decided to stay."

This simplified explanation, however, clearly wasn't enough, Eloise's expression stating as much and prompting Elora to go on.

"I was never in any danger and I'm sorry if you were worried, but after our last conversation in River Heights, I honestly thought you would put the past to rest when I stopped calling. It wasn't until your niece and her two adorable friends arrived that I realized how... serious you were about me, that you would actually send them looking. I see now that I should have given you some closure, however, things seemed to have worked out very well just the same."

"You knew who we were?" an astonished Nancy asked.

"Of course I knew," Elora replied. "Your last name was an obvious giveaway and, once we had a little chat with Miss Marvin, we knew you were here to snoop until you had answers. Then the entire town ran you around in circles."

Nancy, George and Eloise all looked accusingly at Bess who could only look from one to another with utter confusion, claiming, "I have no idea what she's talking about!"

"Of course you don't," Elora said, looking to Nancy as she continued. "Bess is loyal. She never would have betrayed your confidence if we hadn't broken her down first with some very entertaining methods. She doesn't even remember the conversation. Whenever she tries, she only comes to the conclusion that she's a very pretty young woman and that Cinder Bay is a great place to be. Isn't that right, Bess?"

"What?" Bess asked, looking worried and frightened. "What do you mean, 'broke me down'?"

"You enjoyed it," Elora told her with a smirk. "And after you told us everything about yourself and your two adorable little friends, you even wanted more. Perhaps we'll let you watch the recording that we-"

"You brainwashed Bess!?" Nancy exploded.

Elora rolled her eyes and was about to reply, but it now seemed to be Mr. Carmody's turn as he held up his hands in a silent plea for calm before speaking.

"Ladies," he officiously cut in with a diplomatic smile for Nancy in particular. "If we could calm ourselves, I think it's time we explained things. As I'm sure you've already guessed, Cinder Bay is a unique locale. Our town plays host to what one might call... an unexampled species. As far as biology goes, Dr. Bolton is much more suitable in explanation than I am, but what I can tell you is the story you've mostly already heard from our beloved Colonel Marks. Unfortunately, at this late date, the story is mostly conjecture so, without iterating too much of the Colonel's tale, won't you please allow me to tell the story by the addition of a few details that will explain much? It begins with the young wife of Tiberian Faldor, the man who built this hotel.

"As the Colonel has said, Faldor's wife wasn't very happy with her life, or her husband, and would often take it out on him in some very inappropriate ways that involved other men. Needless to say, this wasn't exactly the type of behaviour that a man desires in his wife and it was widely accepted, both now and at the time of her mysterious disappearance, that Faldor had killed her. As a man who'd been suffering from constant personal failure, his adulterous wife would not have helped his outlook on life. I'm sure he had a difficult time putting up with her and the laughing stock she'd made of him and, though it was known that he'd treasured her, he most likely murdered her in a fit of rage, as it is also known that he was an impatient man with an explosive temper. I suppose it was his love for her, not to mention guilt, that made him decide to seek her spirit, possibly to apologise, to gain for himself some absolution for his crime, but this is why he came to invite practitioners of the occult to the hotel.

"At this point in the Hotel's history, the wonderful columns of crystal that grow from the pool that both you and your aunt have... experienced, had already broken through the floor of the basement and had begun to spread throughout the hotel. Of course, this crystal growth would have been of significant interest to Faldor's new friends. This is why they held their séances there in the basement, declaring that area off limits to everyone else, and also why they began excavating there in an attempt to reach the source of the columns. We have no idea what they expected to find, even given the fact that they surely would have sensed something from the fledgling spires, but we do know that they were aware of the human excavation and were already working in their own way to meet them in the middle. And the work was only just completed when something that at first would seem so meaningful, monumental even, struck from out of the blue, as it were."

"The lightning strike," Nancy surmised."

"The lightning strike," Carmody confirmed with a slight nod. "Dr. Bolton, if you would?"

Without verbal acceptance of Carmody's introduction of her, the attractive, older doctor in the sharp, sexy business suit stepped forward, her tight skirt short enough to draw Eloise's lesbian attention as she began in her rather cold, almost unemotional tone.

"Assuming that none of you are experienced medical researchers or senior biologists, I'll attempt to communicate the conclusions of my work in layman's terms. Also, please keep in mind that even I don't understand all the mysteries of the organism that lives in the crystal pool and, of what I do understand, time is a constraint that must also be kept in mind. They are eternal, we are not.

"As it is assumed by some that, millions of years ago, a lightning strike to a pool of methane, water, ammonia, and hydrogen created the simple amino acids from which all life on Earth evolved, I theorize that the lightning strike to the Faldor enabled an evolutionary step forward for the long existing, though simple organisms. While they were capable of invading and controlling the growth of the crystal, there are no reports of the crystal that was slowly invading the Hotel emitting heat. It's true that caves of crystal are unbearably hot due to the heat of the earth in which crystals best grow, but the crystal in the Faldor Hotel now puts out its own heat and light, another property which was never reported before the lightning strike. Also never reported before the lightning strike is the divine presence the columns radiate to Humans."

"You mean their influence," Nancy corrected.

"If you prefer," Bolton allowed.

"So, the lightning strike wasn't caused by Faldor and the occultists?" Bess asked.

"Of course not," Bolton answered, regarding the young blonde as though she were an idiot. "It was merely happenstance. A coincidence. The type of random event amongst seemingly related conditions to which irrational people tend to attach meaning."

"The first person to encounter the organisms," Carmody took over, "was Meredith Townsend, my great grandmother. She was the Night Desk Attendant at the time and, after the hotel was struck and Faldor hadn't returned from the basement, she was forced to defy the off limits rule that applied to that area in order that she could inform Faldor of what had happened. She, of course, found the smoking remains of Faldor and his group between the columns but, more significantly, she'd found the columns themselves. To be more precise, one might say that they'd found her. Having been down there, I'm sure you know what I mean," Carmody said with a smile quite befitting any professional in the service industry. "She did not run to inform the rest of the staff, but stayed, enthralled by the crystal and their calls to her."

"We think," Dr. Bolton cut in, "that this point, after being energised by the lightning strike, was also when the organisms, via the crystal, were able to communicate with Humans, a telepathic connection that reaches anyone within the building, but strengthens upon sight of the crystal, and especially physical contact. Once this more direct contact is made, a stronger link is established with that person that can last for quite some time. Even after a person who's made such contact leaves Cinder Bay, the effects of their encounter continues, the power of their influence only gradually decreasing over time, but we suspect that their influence never truly leaves the human mind."

"And this," Carmody added with his warm, yet impersonal smile, "is partly why we here at the Faldor Hotel enjoy such a great number of return guests, but there is another level of interaction with the organism that my grandmother was the first to discover. After presenting herself to the crystal, she was directed to the excavation through which she was the first to see the collective intelligence of the organism, the pool which you and your aunt have experienced. She willingly submerged herself and they infilled her, becoming one with her. In that moment, both species were elevated. The collective requested more humans to meld with and Meredith complied."

"You mean, to infest," Nancy corrected. "This organism is a parasite!"

"A parasite," Bolton argued, "is an organism that feeds off its host while returning nothing, often until the host expires. This organism takes nothing, yet gives back so much."

"It controls people's minds!" Nancy charged. "And I doubt very much it does this for nothing!"

"The collective only wants to experience existence outside the pool of its creation," the stern Doctor returned. "They can do that through the crystal, but only in an extremely limited way. As you might imagine, the inhabitation of a human being offers a much greater opportunity to learn and grow as a sentient species should."

"They're sentient?" Eloise asked, now at least somewhat distracted from Elora.

"Yes, and no," Bolton replied before going on to explain, "A single organism is not sentient, at least no more than, say, a honeybee. As an example, a single honeybee has little purpose beyond that of feeding in order to maintain its own existence while trying to avoid being eaten or swatted. As part of a hive, the bee's drive is to serve the queen, help build and feed the hive and pollinate plant life, many forms of which, we humans use to feed ourselves. In this way, the sentient collective of bees that form the hive not only serve themselves with a greater purpose than any one bee alone, but they also serve nature and, in turn, humanity.

"As a collective, the organism has a combined intelligence that, while different, is at least equal to that of a human being. And, as a collective, they have a purpose, that being to further the likelihood of their own survival as a species while exploring and understanding the world that they share with us, as do all the species of Earth. What better way could there be for them to accomplish their purpose than from the direct experience of humanity? Both from the knowledge that we've gained through science, and our evolved ability to move around and survive above ground, something that they could never do without us."

"Without their hosts, you mean," Nancy said.

"As I've already told you," Bolton sighed in such a way as to suggest that she was beginning to tire of this, "the definition of the term, 'parasite', does not apply here. The organism's inhabitation of a human being does not harm the human."

"What about making total sluts out of people?" Nancy challenged.

With a smile, the first one Nancy had seen on the woman's face, Bolton explained, "Sexual energy is a very powerful force. The organisms, via the crystal, radiate energy that triggers hormonal responses in people which allow us to become extremely aroused. These hormonal responses, in turn, create their own energy that the crystal absorbs and directs back to the collective where the organisms not only feed on it, but also use to procreate. Humans aren't harmed in any way. In fact, once a person learns to... reprogram their moral perceptions of right and wrong, it makes their lives much more enjoyable. Can you honestly tell me, Miss Drew, that you haven't enjoyed every sexual escapade you've had since you've been in Cinder Bay?"

As Bolton grinned knowingly at her, Nancy well knew that she couldn't, at least not in truth. In fact, she couldn't so much as deny the fact that she was glad she'd come in the sense that these experiences had opened up her life in ways that she never could have predicted back in River Heights. But there was more to it than that.

"Y-you're saying that Aunt Eloise and I are now...infested?"

"Inhabited," Bolton corrected. "But, to what degree, I can't say just now. The organism requires a very specific genetic type in order for it to truly take up residence in a person, to make its desired alterations. In yours and your aunt's case, I'm afraid we'll have to wait a little longer in order to see the signs of a truly successful symbiotic relationship."

Eloise and Nancy glanced at each other with undisguised fear before Eloise took her turn, addressing Dr. Bolton with, "How... how will we know?"

The woman Eloise had known as Susan Quinn spoke up with a self-assured grin, saying, "You'll notice certain changes beginning that will be quite undeniable."

After a moment of staring at the Dining Room Hostess, Nancy, Eloise and Bess slowly shifted their attention to a wide eyed George Fayne. She sat hugging her knees, also taking her attention from Elora to look back at her friends, but offered no elaboration.

"The specific type of DNA coding that the organism requires is somewhat rare," Bolton informed. "I estimate that one-point-five in ten people possess it. This, along with the long term side effect of sterility that the columns' effect has on people, makes some sort of trial introduction of the organism to every possible potential human vessel imperative. As you may imagine, we can't get to everyone who comes through town, as few as those people are these days, and this is why return guests are quite important to us. This is also why we're so glad that you and your niece were kind enough to introduce yourselves for us."

"Wait," Bess broke in, only her eyes moving from her cousin to Dr. Bolton. "What about me?"

"What about you?" Bolton asked.

"Have I been exposed to the organism?"

"No, it has to be ingested in order for it to inhabit. In order to truly inhabit, even beyond the level of simply making physical changes, it must be respired. In any case, a trial introduction for you is unnecessary."

"Why?" Bess asked, becoming upset at a suspicion that she was about to be told that she was too fat.

"Because you're George's first cousin," Bolton sighed, rolling her eyes while giving her head a slight shake. "Whatever it is that the organism requires, you obviously have it because you share Miss Fayne's DNA code, so no introduction is necessary."

Ignoring Bolton's rude body language, Bess returned her eyes to George, who now looked warily back at her blonde cousin. When Bess began to smile, George understood why without having to be told, or hearing the next words that came out of Bess's mouth.

"Sooo... when do I get to take the organism?"

"Bess!" Nancy gasped.

"I told you, Nancy," Bess explained without reserve, "I want to stay here. I'm going to stay here, and I can't wait to see what the organism will do for me!"

"Bess!" Eloise scolded, a look of disbelief in her fine features. "Have you not been listening? You'll be infested with parasites! They'll make you-!"

"Yes, Eloise, I have been listening, and Dr. Bolton said that they're not parasites. Being an actual doctor who's studied them, I think she'd know better than you do."

"Bess, you can't possibly trust them?" Nancy asked, looking at her blonde friend as though she'd lost her mind which, as far as Nancy was concerned, she must have.

"I don't have to," Bess replied. "Look at Elor- I mean, Susan-"

"Elora," the sultry woman provided with a pleased smile for Bess.

"She's living proof that it's alright," Bess argued before gesturing to her cousin to add, "And look at George! My God, she was pretty before, but now... Wow! I want that!"

"Bess, stop being stupid!" Eloise snapped. "You don't know what you're talking about! These people are being controlled by-!"

(Slap!)

It came out of nowhere, as fast and hard as the red imprint of Bess's hand that began to appear on Eloise's face. The mature woman of the group could only stare in shock at the suddenly angry young woman glaring back at her.

"Don't talk to me like that! I might be a slut, but I'm not stupid! I can make my own decisions, and I will!"

" ... Bess," Nancy dared, struggling for a tone that mightn't further upset the blonde, "You've been brainwashed by-"

"Shut up, Nancy! Talking to me like I'm a child is no different than calling me stupid! Do I sound like a child to you!? Do I sound stupid to you!? Huh!?" For the last time, I'm staying, and there's nothing you can do to stop me!"

At a complete loss for words, Nancy could only stare at Bess as Eloise was. Even George gawped at her, suddenly realizing that, if Bess had no fear of staying, of making this choice for herself, than what was holding her back? Looking around at the others in the room, she found that even Dr. Bolton stared at Bess Marvin, but now with approval and a new respect. And Bess only looked right back at them as George cleared her throat to make her stand as well.