The Nuclear Option Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chief Moynahan had been typing on his cellphone. Then he turned to us and said "I called Commander Ross earlier, and told her to put the plans to prep the Old Mill for the military's use into action. That's happening now, and it'll be busy in Headquarters tomorrow morning with all of 2nd Precinct there."

"Captain Croyle," continued the Chief, "you will be 'Acting Commander' for the duration of this emergency. General McFarland has asked that Commander Troy be made available to work closely with him, and since Commander Troy has nothing to do but twiddle his thumbs these days, I agreeeeed to the request."

"Don't let all that power go to your head, Commander Croyle." I said.

"Right back at ya... General Troy." Teresa said, making Joanne laugh. Laura even cracked a smile at that one.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we got back to Headquarters at 10:00pm, it was already busier than it normally would be during the day. Jack Muscone was already there, as was Sheriff Griswold. Tim Jenkins of the Southport FBI was also in the House.

As Laura and Jack and I went to the anteroom of my office, I saw Cindy Ross in her office next door, working busily at her desk. "Why don't you guys go in and sit down," I said. "I need to speak to Cindy." They went in as I knocked on Cindy's door, then went in and closed the door behind me.

"Have they told you what this is about?" I asked.

"No." Cindy said. "The Chief called and said it was big, he'd tell me later, but in the meantime to get with Myron Milton and prep the Old Mill for the military and Homeland Security to use."

"Why don't you come into my office," I said, "and I'll tell you all about it. But before I do... I came in to apologize to you. I'll never let go of my hatred of the Press, but I was wrong to classify my blood kin, and one of my bestest friends ever, as one of them or their allies."

"Thanks for that." Cindy said, looking up at me. "We do need to hash it out, but I get the sense that now is not the time."

"That's Green Crowbar intuition, there." I said. "Yeah, we'll talk about it later, but I did want to apologize now. Anyhoo, come on over to my office..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We didn't make it. The Chief called us into the Main Conference Room, and Laura, Jack, Tim Jenkins, Sheriff Griswold, Teresa, and Joanne, as well. I noticed Cindy and Tim Jenkins talking as they made reacquaintance with each other as Laura checked for bugs, finding none. Additionally, I'd previously ripped the wires out of the I.A. microphones in the room, so Internal Affairs couldn't listen in. They'd bitched, but the Chief told Orosco that unless they could whip my ass in the Police Boxing Matches, that's the way it was and would continue to be.

First, I told Cindy what was going on. Her ice blue eyes got wide as saucers when I mentioned that a nuclear weapon had been stolen from our neighboring State. "Well, that explains a few things." she said with the prodigious power of understatement. Then she gave her report:

"The military is installing its own secure communications and internet systems." she said. "Myron had his I.T. Techs made sure that those lines do not connect with nor cross over our Police lines nor get into our servers in any way, and I'm assured that they cannot access any of our stuff. Myron also said that since the military is putting in its own stuff, it's putting no strain at all on our Police phone lines or bandwidth."

"Precinct Captain Abram is in Jenna's old office, next to the office Sheriff Griswold uses when he's here." Cindy continued. "Lieutenant Rudistan is Tanya's old Lieutenant office, and yes, he has already remarked about the rather tight fit. I told him to lose weight, and he said he'd see me in the ring to train for the Police Boxing Matches." We all laughed at that.

Cindy then said "It's amazing how we expanded to fill the space when the Precincts moved out of here, but we've cleared the old locker rooms for the Uniformed Officers, so they have space now. I also told Captain Abram to use the gym and its side rooms if he needed them."

"Good." said the Chief. "You've done well, as have your people."

"We'll discuss that later, sir." said Cindy, raising some eyebrows.

"Jack, what do you have for us?" the Chief asked.

"The TCPD's mission during this emergency," said Jack Muscone, "will be a heightened alert. We're telling all local LEOs for now that some 'dangerous cargo' has been stolen, and we'll insinuate that it's drugs. We'll say to be on the lookout for unfamiliar trucks. We're going to ask you to have checkpoints at all roads and bridges leading into and out of the County, asking all trucks for their manifests, and holding any truck in place that seems suspicious."

"We're also working on getting Geiger counters for you here in this County." Jack continued. "I don't know if they're going to do that for all counties, or just counties that are logical places to go from where the truck and car were found, so don't talk about Geiger counters with any other LEOs."

"Sir, they're smart Officers." Joanne said. "They'll know something's up just as soon as you hand them a Geiger counter."

"They'll know something just from us moving 2nd Precinct here." I replied. "But they're a very well trained Police Force, thanks to Captain Croyle, here. They know to do their jobs first and ask questions later. But to your point, we can tell them something like that nuclear material was stolen from the University, or some such, if they get too inquisitive."

Muscone said "That'll do, for now. I know Chief Moynahan told you, Don, that General McFarland wants you to be his liaison with us in your capacity as FBI Consultant, and his liaison to the TCPD, as well. But he's also asked me to hang around with you and him, so I guess we can treat him to the best double cheeseburgers in the world."

"Nooo, not tha-at!" Teresa wailed jokingly. "Keep those top secret! He'll never go home if he finds out how good they are!" We all broke out laughing at that.

"Anything else?" asked the Chief.

"I need to see Mr. Muscone and Dr. Fredricson in my office, if y'all don't mind." I said. Laura and Jack nodded.

"And I need to see Commander Ross and Acting Commander Croyle in mine." said the Chief.

"I'll join you, if you don't mind." said the Sheriff. The meeting broke up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Soooo, Commander Ross," said Chief Moynahan, "what are your isss-uuuuuues?"

"After you called, sir," Cindy said, "I contacted Captain Aaron of Physical Properties to begin the process of transitioning 2nd Precinct to Headquarters and prepping the Old Mill for the Army. I told him to call for support to move papers and furniture, and also to contact Myron Milton about tech support for computers and communications. I then called Precinct Captain Abram and Lieutenant Rudistan to get the ball rolling on the personnel transition."

"So that was going on," Cindy continued, "but when Rudistan called County Jail to ask where the trucks were to move all the paperwork files in his and Abrams's offices, they were told there'd been no requisition from Physical Properties. That generated a call to me, and I called down to light a fire under some asses. But I held back on chewing them out, and when they said they'd received no instructions, I told them to contact Rudistan and get things rolling. And they did."

Cindy went on: "So I had a hunch, and I called Myron. He said he'd been contacted by Rudistan, but not by Captain Aaron. When I called Aaron, he was still at home, and he said he was getting into his uniform to go down to 2nd Precinct Headquarters. I told him that my disappointment with his lack of urgency could not be overstated, and that all he needs to do now is be on standby, as others were doing his job for him."

"Heh heh heh heh." Chief Moynahan chuckled. "Adversity does not strengthen character, it merely reveals it. We will have a discussion of the Police Force leadership structure, but it will have to wait until this emergency is o-verrrrrr. So Lieutenants Rudistan and Milton are getting the job done?"

"Yes sir." said Cindy. "Myron is no fan of the FBI nor the Federal Government, but he's doing his job and he's doing it well..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As everyone came out of the Chief's office, they saw FBI Special Agent Tim Jenkins in the Chief's Conference Room, typing on his laptop. Cindy and Teresa went into the room.

"I'm here as the FBI's liaison to the TCPD." said Jenkins. "I hope this is an okay place to be."

"We'll stick you in one of the Lieutenant's offices." Cindy said.

"Thanks, that'll be great." Tim said. "Would you ladies like to go get something to eat, my treat?"

"I can't." said Teresa. "I've got to get home and relieve my husband of babysitting duties." She made her goodbyes, and headed down the hall.

"Why don't I show you your office," said Cindy, "and then I'll introduce you to the Cop Bar."

"Sounds good." said Jenkins...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Laura and Jack sat in the comfortable hot chairs and I sat in my 'Command Chair', feeling very grateful for the lumbar support, I said "Laura, tell me about General McFarland. Particularly his familiarity... with you."

Laura understood. She said "As you know, my first husband was deeply involved in the Intelligence Community. McFarland was a close associate of my husband's; it would not be too much to say that my husband brought McFarland up the ranks with him, and got him his first star." (Author's note: see 'Sting of the Scorpion', Ch. 02, for more on Laura's first husband.)

That meant Laura's husband was instrumental in getting McFarland promoted to Brigadier General, which is an oft-political thing where one vote against can end a career, but where the deciding General Officers often exercise horse trading: give me this guy and I'll give your guy, etc.

"And McFarland brought Just up in the same manner?" I asked.

"Yes, that appears to be the case, but let me keep going from the beginning." Laura said. "McFarland started out in the Field Artillery as a Lieutenant, then transferred to Military Intelligence when he was promoted to Captain. That's not uncommon, by the way."

"Why would he leave the Combat Arms, even for M.I.?" asked Muscone.

I said "The Field Artillery has a lot more Lieutenant positions than most other branches. So a lot of them have to change branches if and when they're promoted to Captain. And Military Intelligence is one of those branches where a lot of them transfer into. In a related manner, the Transportation Corps has a lot of extra Major positions, so Captains getting promoted often transfer into there." Muscone nodded.

"McFarland was a lot like my husband, in both good and bad ways." said Laura. "They were both excellent Officers within the Intelligence Community, but you know that my husband almost got into trouble over forcing junior Officers's wives to have sex with him. McFarland played that game, too, though he was more discreet. He was, and still is, a real lech. He'll probably try to make a pass at me... again... before this is all over. And no, he was not successful before, and won't be in the future."

"I did notice he was frowning at Major Martin when you gave Martin a friendly look." I said with a bit of a grin.

"I'm sure you did. Nothing gets by you." Laura said, then steered us back onto the course of the conversation: "Anyway, my husband and McFarland were both part of the 'Establishment' in Government, and McFarland still is. He and Admiral Keating clashed often, and we recently learned how Keating was a Guardian of Justice, so you can see where some of those clashes would come from. At one time, McFarland was in charge of the Army's nuclear weapons as well as the various nuclear weapons programs, which included security and the security systems of the weapons. Keating was the Navy's equivalent of that for a while."

"So it's natural that McFarland would be put in charge of this emergency." I said.

"Oh yes." said Laura. "I knew as soon as I saw him that nuclear weapons were involved in this, and it was only a matter of whether it was a BROKEN ARROW or EMPTY QUIVER event. Anyway, let me tell you about Just."

Laura went on: "Carl Just was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Chemical Corps, since he had a degree in radiochemistry, but they quickly realized he was too good for that branch."

Muscone barked a chuckle. "That's not saying much good about the Chemical Corps." he said.

"I'll be brutally blunt." Laura said severely. "The Officers that are commissioned into the Chemical Corps are leftovers. The best Officers are put in the Combat Arms. A lot go into the Combat Support branches, and the leftovers go to the Combat Service Support branches. I'm actually surprised that you, Don, didn't get dragged into the Chemical Corps, what with your Chemistry degree and all."

"They must've realized I was too good for it." I quipped with a little smile. "Seriously, if I'd been going for active duty instead of the Reserves, I might've ended up in the Chemical Corps. But I put down Military Police as my first choice of which branch I wanted, and Lo and Behold! I got my wish. Not complaining, either, Jack; that ultimately got me this lovely woman as my wife." Jack chuckled and Laura blushed a little bit, but smiled at the compliment.

Laura said "You're very sweet, Darling. As to Just, he got noticed, in a good way. He became part of the nuclear weapons programs, and when he was promoted to Major he was transferred to the Ordnance Corps, and continued to be closely associated with the nuclear weapons programs. I met him in Europe, when my husband was assigned to NATO. McFarland was a Brigadier then, and Just was part of his staff. The symposium was about the security of nuclear weapons in Europe."

"Okay." I said. "Well, I think we're in for a long next few days. I suggest we go and get some sleep." There was no disagreement with that idea...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Carole and Jim had been staying at Todd and Teresa's house, and we thought they'd just stay overnight. But Teresa called and said she had on her hands a five-year-old girl with an attitude. So on the way home, we went and got her and Jim, who remained blissfully asleep.

"You went to meetings, didn't you?" Carole pouted, her little arms crossed, when we went inside Teresa's house next to The Cabin.

"Young lady, you are not to talk to us in that tone of voice." Laura admonished her daughter. It didn't work.

"You promised you wouldn't go to any more meetings!" Carole said accusingly.

"I'll handle this." I whispered to Laura. I said out loud "Carole, we will discuss this when we get home. Now give Aunt Teresa a big hug for her and Uncle Todd taking care of you." Carole's hug was a bit perfunctory, but Teresa gave her a big hug back anyway, as did Todd. I carried Jim to the car and strapped him into his seat as Carole strapped herself in.

At home at the Mountain Nest, I put Jim on his bed, then came downstairs. Carole was still sulking... and her mother was not in a much better mood.

"Carole, keep your coat on." I said. "Let's take the dogs out." The dogs heard the word 'out' and instantly appeared at the back door. We went out, and Carole and I sat down while the dogs went to inspect the territories and do their business.

"Carole," I said in my father-to-daughter, one-way, authoritarian voice, "listen to me. When your mom said she wouldn't go to any more meetings, that meant she was retiring from her job in Washington and would be staying here and doing her University job. And she has kept that promise. However... there are times when she and I both have to have meetings with people as part of our jobs, especially my job, and those meetings are to enforce the law and help keep people safe."

"Therefore," I said sternly, "I do not want to see nor hear any more pouting from you about going to meetings. You may not like it, but I expect you to not let me see that you don't like it. Do I make myself clear?"

"But she promised!" Carole exclaimed.

"And she's kept that promise." I replied, then tried another tack: "I will say this one more time: your mother and I sometimes have to have meetings to help keep people safe. That's a very good thing your mother is doing to help people, and sometimes things are stressful for her, and me. So stop being so rigid about us having meetings at times, and do what you can to help your mom from being stressed out, by helping to take care of your brother and the dogs, and not making any fusses, okay?"

"O-kayyyy." Carole said, not really wanting to concede the point. Just then the dogs came back. I suggested we pet the dogs, which of course made both of us feel better.

Then we went back inside, where Carole made me proud by going up to her mother and saying "I'm sorry I was mad.", then hugging Laura's legs.

Laura picked up Carole and gave her a big hug, saying "Thank you, Sweetie. Now lets go to bed." She then took Carole upstairs, helped Carole put on her pajamas, then tucked her into bed. They were in there talking for quite a while.

Meanwhile, I went to the master bedroom and sat down in the rocking chair I'd bought and put in there, the only piece of furniture that Laura had not selected. It helped my back a lot to sit in it instead of on the bed or a soft chair. I had intended to undress, but went into a long reverie. When I came out of it, the room was dark, and Laura was already in bed asleep...

Part 6 - The Search Begins

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, March 8th, from in front of the Old Mill. "Channel Two News has learned that Federal agencies are using the Town & County Police Department's Precinct 2 Headquarters as a base of operations for unknown purposes!"

Bettina began: "The Army issued a press statement saying that they are conducting an emergency readiness exercise, and that there is no cause for public alarm. However, there have been no press conferences and no further explanations. The Town & County Police and the local FBI Resident Agency office in the Federal Building have also declined to comment, referring us to the Army's press statement."

Bettina went on: "However, Channel Two News has learned that a highly secret meeting occurred at a secure location in the Valley Villages community to our south yesterday. The Army has said that the meeting was part of the exercise, but sources tell Channel Two News that it was a major gathering of law enforcement officers at every level from local and State to the FBI and Department of Homeland Security. Channel Two News has also learned that Police Commander Donald Troy has been assigned as a liaison to the Army during this situation. For more on this breaking story, let's go to our colleague Tim Sioban of KSB in the City. Tim!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Sioban. "KSB and KXTC have learned that the FBI Offices both here in the City's Federal Building and the Town & County are on high alert. All vacations and leaves were cancelled and Special Agents were called in for what was called 'urgent' meetings! Additionally, KSB has learned that highly classified messages were delivered to the President himself, and sources tell KSB News that those messages may be related to the military exercise in the northwestern part of our State. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Tim!" said Bettina. "Channel Two News has also learned that the Police and Federal Agents are stopping all traffic coming into or out of our Town & County for ID checks, and all crossings along the length of the State Line River from our County to Southport, and even Turpin Heights in the State south of us, have been turned into Police checkpoints where all vehicles are being stopped and IDs checked. Let's go to SNN reporter Bill Hacosta, who is with Dr. Lionel Carmela, Professor of Political Science at the University. Bill!"