The Oathkeepers Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Zoe shivered in his arms and he glanced down to see her eyes opening. She gripped at his armored arm and he saw her fingers were beginning to turn blue. "Are we there?" she gritted out between chattering teeth.

"Nearly. I think it's just ahead," he grated as he looked back up to scan the jutting cliffs. And then like a beacon he spotted the low, black building. Its solar paneling sucked in the sun and glowed ebony against the white of the snow. He swooped toward it, skidding in the icy snow right up to the door. He swiped at the panel and the door slid open with a rush of stale air. Stooping to enter, he cast around the darkened building. Normally only manned by a rotating crew of Ivories, the place wasn't built for an Onyx he realized as he took in the tight surroundings. But it would do. Finally he dropped Zoe back to her feet and she again hissed in pain.

"What is it?" he asked lifting her back slightly to examine her.

"My ankle," she gritted out. "He grabbed it, really hard."

Aegis ground his teeth, again imagining the scene of traitorous Mace on top of Zoe. If he could fly back and lob his head off a second time he would. "Okay, I'll look at it in a bit," he said as he carried her to a small seating area across from the station monitors. He situated her in a chair and then turned back to the control station. Flipping through the start-up sequence he set the station back alive, turning the heat back up and the water and other electronics surging on.

As he spun slowly around the small, single room station looking for a med kit, his head began to spin. Blinking, he grabbed at the wall as his vision swam. Suddenly every inch of his body felt heavy, much too heavy to stay upright. He dropped to his knees, trying desperately to lift his leaden head to find Zoe.

~~

Zoe glanced up from examining her ankle as she heard a crash. Aegis had fallen to his knees, clutched desperately at the row of monitors he knelt next to him. His head swayed as he tried to say something, then he fell forward, smashing to the floor so hard it shook the tiny station.

"Aegis!" she yelped and crawled from the couch he'd placed her on.

His wings were unnaturally slack against his back and finally she noticed the large, deep slash that ran across one shoulder. Black blood coated his back, it must have streamed behind them in ribbons as they flew. "Fuck, fuck, fuck," she groaned as she scrambled toward him.

Her ankle had swollen viciously and screamed at her every time she jostled it. Finally reaching his side, she ran her eyes along the wound. It was deep. Too deep. She wondered how he'd even used his arm... And then her mind remembered its training. Stop the bleeding. Clean it. Stitch it up. Wrap it tight and keep it clean. She ran through her basic medic training as she glanced around the room for a med kit.

Aegis's hand startled her as he grabbed at her. She yelped and glanced down to him in relief. "You're awake! Where's the medkit, I need to stop the bleeding in your arm. It's bad Aegis, really bad."

He blinked at her and motioned weakly towards the far end of the room. "I need to get my armor off first," he murmured. Achingly slow, he snaked his hand to a wristcuff she hadn't noticed before. With a few taps, the armor hissed and released from him, clattering loose around him in several sections. Zoe scooted back and grabbed at the thick shoulder guard, tugging it off him. It banged heavy to the floor, barely missing her fragile toes. He was right, the armor weighed a ton.

"Okay, I'm going to grab the kit and clean that up--" she started, but then realized he'd passed back out. Panic gripped her chest. He'd lost too much blood. Had exhausted himself flying them across the ocean. "No," she growled as she hobbled to her feet and limped across the station to the door he'd waved to.

An hour later, Zoe collapsed next to Aegis on the floor. His shoulder was stitched and bound up as best she could. He still lay on his stomach, his face slack and gray and turned toward her. He'd burst back to consciousness here and there as she'd worked, only to fall back into murmuring depths seconds later. She'd noticed his injured leg during one such bout. The blood smeared across the floor as the armor had fallen loose from his legs as he thrashed. She'd sworn and then moved to fix that wound up as well. After that, she'd methodically worked down his body, tugging at the heavy armor as best she could to find any more hidden wounds. Luckily it seemed his armor had more or less done its job for she found no other, at least on his back. She'd tried for a few agonizing minutes to turn him to his side to check his chest but he proved too heavy.

Resigned, she curled next to him, finding a few blankets in a chest next to the couch she wrapped it around herself, tossing the larger one across him. There was nothing else to do, and besides her own body ached and quivered with fatigue. She pressed against him, setting her cheek against his, finding him eerily cool, even more than normal. "You aren't allowed to die," she whispered harshly to him as sleep took her as well.

~~

Aegis's head throbbed. His whole BODY throbbed he realized as he tried to reach a hand to his face. His right shoulder was stiff, arcs of pain ripped through it as he attempted to move. Opening his eyes, he found Zoe's face a breath from his. Her eyes were closed in sleep and she'd somehow scooted under his good arm, pressing herself in the crook of him as they slept. Her hands were clutched together, pressed against his side. He lay frozen, studying her bruised face and gathering his strength. Slowly, he pulled from her sitting up, though his head swam still.

He pushed himself to his feet and stood swaying for a long moment as he took in the room. The air was warm at least, the heating chugging nicely. Scattered across the floor were bloodied bandages and other items from the medkit. He flexed his leg, his shoulder. She'd at least stopped the bleeding, stitched them up. He'd survive for now.

Stumbling across the room towards the small kitchen he grabbed up one of the ration kits. Quickly he pounded back a few containers of electrolytes and then turned on shaky feet back to Zoe. She was sitting up slowly, her eyes bleary as she took him in. He must look a mess.

"You shouldn't be moving around. You lost so much blood," she chastised as she began to pull herself up.

"I needed to replenish," he said as he crossed back across the room. With one arm he grabbed at the edge of the couch in the seating area. With a tug, he unfolded it into a bed and glanced back to Zoe.

She stepped towards him, wincing slightly. His eyes darted down to her ankle and shame leapt up through him that she'd been the one that had to care for him when she was injured herself. "Your ankle...?"

"I think it's just sprained," she waved dismissively as she placed a hand on his chest. "Lay down. You need to rest."

His throat closed as he took her in. Bruised and unbroken. Her hair was wild, her face set sternly. He wrapped his good arm around her waist and dropped into the bed, pulling her down onto his lap. "I'm sorry, for everything," he rasped as he laid back. He tucked his wings so he could lay on his back and pulled her tightly against his chest. She resisted for only a moment, and then her hands slid up his chest to clutch at him.

"I know you are," she murmured as she melted against him. Sleep gripped him again and Aegis happily gave in to it. With Zoe resting on his chest, even with his world falling around him, he felt at peace.

~~

Zoe squirmed as she woke, scrunching her eyes. One side of her face ached and the eye was puffy with bruising. She began to take inventory. Flexing her shoulder, it was slightly stiff but not too worse for wear. Her ankle was swollen and sent little arcs of pain up her leg as she tried to move it. She was sprawled on top of Aegis. His chest, though suitably large for her to stretch, was a bit too hard to make a comfortable bed. He still slept deeply, the rise and fall of his breaths soothing her. She imagined it might be what falling asleep on a yacht at sea would be like.

They'd both been in such a haze of pain and fatigue when they'd passed out, but now in the dim light of morning she examined him. His chest was bare and she felt a surge of exhilaration as the intimacy hit her. His good arm was thrown over her, heavy as it wrapped around her waist. She moved her fingers along his muscled skin, hard and broad and cool under her. He was beautiful. She felt a twinge of lust as she ran her hand up his massive chest. Tilting her head, she found his face, peaceful and handsome in sleep. His sharp jaw like cut obsidian. She'd thought his hard angled nose once severe, threatening, now it was just manly. Perfectly fitting for his alien face.

Tentatively, she reached her hand higher, ran her fingers along that jaw. She remembered the feel of his lips on hers and her fingers brushed against the surprisingly full mouth. He twitched, but stilled quickly back into sleep. She smiled and glanced down. Their legs were tangled. Her golden dress was ragged, ripped in a few places, stained with black blood. He'd worn only a pair of form-fitting leather breeches under his armor. Laying across his torso, she finally registered the bulging of his manhood pressing against her own pelvis. She reddened, realizing she lay with her legs on either side of one of his and his length pressed right against her own sensitive center. The slightest shift of her hips would grind her against him. A flush leapt up her chest as she realized her predicament. She wanted him. Still wanted him inside her so badly it left her lightheaded. Even free from the manipulations of Paragon she felt the craving for Aegis. She wanted to move her aching body against his. Wanted to feel the hardness of him pressing against her deepest parts.

Her stomach growled and she let our a burst of laughter, rolling quickly from him before he could awaken and notice their closeness. She couldn't dwell on it-- on HIM-- now. He again murmured in sleep as she padded across the small station, taking it in with fresh eyes. They slept in the small seating turned bed area. An additional soft leather chair and low table completed that space. Across the room was the utilitarian kitchen and a small table with two chairs. Shelves were loaded with meal kits and all sorts of tubes and containers. Everything a small research crew might need for a few months on the ice. A thin window wrapped around the entire oblong station letting in a bit of sun. How long did Aegis plan for them to stay here? What was his next step? Getting off Homeworld surely. But where was safe with a bloodthirsty Bastion now released on the galaxy?

"How's the ankle?" Aegis's low voice found her as she bent to examine some of the food containers.

She jerked, straightening to find him trying to sit up on the bed. His face screwed in pain as he held his injured arm tight at his side. He was just so LARGE. Without his shirt, his muscles rippled hypnotically in the low light of the station. He blinked as if still trying to pull himself from sleep.

"It hurts," she said with a shrug. It more than hurt. Pain radiated up through her calf. She was starting to think it might be more than sprained with how red and swollen it was turning. A vicious purple bruise completed the ugly injury.

"Here, come sit back down, let me have a look," he said stiffly as he finally managed to sit up in the bed.

Zoe licked her lips. In the light of day, getting too close to Aegis seemed dangerous. She plucked a bag of what looked to be some sort of dried snack chips and limped back across the room. She dropped down, as far on the other side of the bed as she could from him. Gingerly, he leaned toward her, pulled her leg up to set on his thigh. She looked away, ripping open the bag and shoving a few of the salty crisps into her mouth as a distraction. As his fingers tested the ankle, she gasped in pain and instantly regretted her mouthful of food. Aegis froze as she coughed and smacked at her chest.

"I'm fine," she choked out as he reached for her shoulder.

His dark eyes watched her, amusement needling his expression before he glanced back down to continue his inspection of her ankle. "I don't think it's broken," he finally said as he worked his cool fingers over it. "He wrenched it badly though," his voice dipped low and his jaw worked in that Aegis way. "I'm sorry I didn't arrive sooner. If he'd..."

"It's fine. You arrived when you could," she interrupted and shoved the chip bag at him. "Hungry?"

He let a harsh laugh burst from his throat as she met her eyes and reached into the bag. His eyes ran over her face though, as much as she tried to distract them, Aegis's eyes couldn't be distracted. They dug into her, running over the bruise on her face, the blood on her dress. She imagined she looked a bit crazed and self-consciously patted a hand against her tangled hair.

"So what's the plan?" she tried again to change the subject.

Aegis sighed as he munched on the chip. "We need to recover a bit. Bastion will be looking for me, but I think he's got bigger plans at the moment which buys us some time. I'll try to find you someplace safe to stay once we can get to a ship off planet."

She stilled. For some reason the idea of Aegis leaving her hadn't crossed her mind. He'd been the constant at her side since this whole ideal had begun, she couldn't wrap her brain around the idea of him NOT being there. "Is any place safe from Bastion?"

Aegis swallowed and finally looked away from her. "No. Which is why I must get you away. So I can return and put an end to him." His hand still held her leg on his. His fingers had begun to absently swirl along her calf as his eyes wandered.

"What if he puts an end to you instead? Then I just sit and wait until he remembers me. As he subjugates world after world?" She tried to stay still, but Aegis's hand continued to move along her bare skin. He looked away, as if his fingers moved on their own. They sent wave after wave of warmth up her leg.

Aegis turned his dark eyes to her. The lovely, violet halo around his black iris seemed to drill into her. His hand on her leg still, gripped her tightly. Zoe gulped, the small station closed around her. It was just her and Aegis. If he wanted, he could fall upon her now, do anything he wanted. Did she belong to him now? He was an Oathkeeper, she could do nothing against him.

And she wouldn't. She would leap to meet him. The knowledge left her jittery.

"I won't let anything happen to you. Bastion will never touch you again," he finally said softly. He patted her leg, pulling his eyes reluctantly back to her ankle. "Let me get some healing ointment on this for the swelling and I'll get it wrapped up." He scooted from her, gently set her foot back on the bed as he stood and grabbed up the medkit she'd left on the ground.

He knelt and began to work on her ankle, swiping a cooling ointment over the swollen joint. She watched his huge hands work. Those hands that had killed how many other Oathkeepers yesterday to save her? He was so gentle now. "So what happened? Exactly?" she found herself asking.

Aegis pursed his lips. Grief flitted across his face as he dipped his head, avoiding her eyes. "I know he hurt you. But he was my blood. My king. And he thought of you in his last moments. As Bastion raised his blade, Paragon ordered me to protect you. And so I will."

"And that's the only reason you're here?" she whispered.

Aegis sucked in a breath and met her eyes. "No. You know it's not."

Paragon's words still clattered within her. He seemed to stand between them. "Did you dissuade Paragon from letting me go? He told me you did," she asked suddenly.

Aegis's eyebrows knit as he studied her. His face fell and Zoe's heart creaked; there was some truth to Paragon's words. She could see it in Aegis. "He said he would give you a choice. In a year he would let you decide if you wanted to stay with us. With...perhaps me...if you wanted. He saw my attraction to you, I think it entertained him."

"He said you convinced him not to let me go though. Why would he say that?" she pressed.

"He did ask me," he grated, avoiding her eyes. "I was selfish. I couldn't...conceive of the idea of never seeing you again. Of dropping you back into your little human life--"

Anger burst within her. "But it was MY little human life. You didn't get to choose. You're just as bad as Paragon..." Zoe's voice dropped as she trailed off.

Even as the words fell, she felt their untruth. Aegis was nothing like Paragon. He knelt in front of her. His hands had stilled, holding her ankle gently. Her mind searched, betrayed her, tried to find a way to forgive him. Why did she want to forgive this person she'd just met? Who'd stolen her from her life?

Because down in that place she didn't want to admit...she didn't miss her life. She'd wanted her freedom. Had become a pilot to see the stars. But her ship had been just another prison. The excitement of traveling the stars had dulled year after year. She'd wanted something. She hadn't known what. That something seemed to be kneeling on the floor in front of her.

But Aegis's eyes had turned cold, anger sat behind them. "You won't speak ill of Paragon. He was the last Gilded. He held our people together, kept YOUR people safe for over a thousand years. If in his last few years, he gave in to some temptation, to some of his unending grief...well I can't find the strength to fault him for that."

He stood and packed up the medkit and bent to sweep the soiled bandages and wrappings from the ground. As he limped across the room Zoe sat stiff on the bed. His wings were tight, irate at his back.

He turned back to her and the misery within his dark face sucked the air from her. She understood a fraction of the pain he felt for the loss of Paragon. His friend and leader and cousin, someone he'd known for longer than she could fathom.

"I just wish you could have known him when he was good," he rasped.

"I wish I had too," she whispered as the distance yawned between them. Zoe felt the overwhelming urge to go to him. To comfort her kidnapper. But Paragon still stood between them. And her ankle still hurt like hell.

~~

Grief rose within Aegis. When he finally let himself feel it for the death of his friend, it swept over him like a flood. He understood Zoe's anger. He couldn't hold it against her. Of course he couldn't. But she'd only seen a Paragon with the weight of years and ghosts and loss.

And then he sensed the conflict in Zoe as well. As she stared at him with those lovely, sad blue eyes he found himself crossing the room. He dropped down to his knees in front of her and cupped her bruised and battered cheek.

"Paragon ordered me to protect you because he cared about you, in his way. But more, in his last moments I sensed his regret for how he'd treated both of us. He gives us another chance. You know how I crave you, and I think you feel the same. Even as you might fight it. Hate to admit it," he spoke quickly, his voice harsh as he leaned into her, holding her eyes, grasping at her hands. Grasping for anything from her.

Her small hand slipped from his, rose gently to cup his face. He nearly wept from the feel of her soft fingers. She searched his face and the warring emotions rippled from her, back and forth, back and forth she fought her anger, her confusion, her desire for him. "I think I forgive you," she whispered.

It was the only thing he needed. Aegis pulled her face to his, brushing his lips tenderly against hers. When she parted for him, cautiously returning the kiss, he wanted to roar with joy. He pressed into her, slipping his fingers into her tangled hair as the kiss deepened. He went slowly this time. He eased his tongue against her silky lips, teasing and parting them more, asking for entry. She sighed, melting into him in easy compliance. He explored her mouth. He had all the time in the world now, she was his. He felt it in his bones, in the way her hand grabbed at his on her cheek. She wanted him to pull her closer, impossibly closer.