The Old Red Truck

Story Info
Lives of multigenerations revolve around an old red truck.
4k words
4.73
4.8k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a short, stand-alone story, spanning five decades in the life of a multi-generational Vermont farm family and how their lives revolved around a 1947 red pickup truck. It is mostly dialogue between four people. Sex is alluded to rather than explicit. If either extensive dialog or the lack of explicit sex doesn't appeal to you, it's probably best to look elsewhere for something compatible with your expectations. Otherwise, enjoy.

Everything portrayed in this story is a product of my imagination. It was conceived, written and edited by real live humans. No AI involved.

My gratitude and thanks to both my anonymous friend and Pepere for their editing skills and perceptive suggestions. Any and all errors are mine and mine alone.

The Old Red Truck

2001

Christina and I were the last to leave after Grandpa's interment ceremony. He was laid to rest next to Grandma in the family cemetery on the hill overlooking the family farm.

As we walked back down the hill and approached the farmhouse, she said, "This must be difficult for you, Craig."

1978

We had just finished eating and were sitting around the dinner table when I asked, "Tell me about my daddy again, Grandpa."

"Well, Craig, your daddy was born right here on this farm. He grew up to be a big, strong man, just like you will be when you get a little older. He met your mom in first grade, fell in love with her in high school, and married her right after they graduated. They were both happy farming here, but then that war in Vietnam started and he got drafted."

"What's drafted mean?"

"It means he had to join the Army instead of farming. The Army sent him way over to the other side of the world, to Vietnam, where there was a big fight and he got killed. You were born just three months later."

"Why did mommy leave?"

Grandma replied, "Craig, your momma was so in love with your daddy that she

was very sad when your daddy died. Do you remember how you were sad when Buster died?"

"Yes. I loved that ole dog."

"Well, your mommy loved your daddy like that, and really missed him. She eventually asked Grandpa and me if we could take care of you for a little while. She needed to get away from all the things here that reminded her of your daddy. We said yes, of course. She eventually wrote to us and said she thought it would be best for you if you could just stay here. Everything here reminded her of your daddy. Adults sometimes do things that even other adults can't understand. Your momma loved you and did what she thought was best for you. So, that's why we were so lucky to have you stay with us. Do you understand?"

"I think so."

1987

"Have you decided which college you're going to, Craig?"

"UVM, Grandpa. It's the most affordable. I think I've got at least the first two years covered between in-state tuition, some scholarship money, what you've given me, what I've saved from working at the Grand Union, plus what I can pick up from summer jobs and work-study,."

"I'm sorry we can't spare any more, but you know that farming isn't exactly a get rich quick scheme."

"You and Grandma have already done so much for me, Grandpa. You took me in as an infant and raised me as your own. I truly appreciate everything you've done for me. Besides, growing up here has been a far richer experience than most guys my age have lived through. You and Grandma have set a high standard of loving that I'd like to emulate when I meet the right girl."

"How did you two meet anyway?"

"It was my red truck."

"This I've got to hear."

"Well, you know that I was an infantryman in WW II? I had somehow survived the Normandy invasion and all the fighting that followed. I returned to the family farm after my discharge. My dad was still farming with horses, partly because that was what he had always done, partly because much of the US's manufacturing was prioritized for the war effort. New equipment was scarce to non-existent."

"I managed to save most of my pay during the war. I was also a pretty good poker player, or maybe my friends weren't. Anyway, I had a nice little nest egg saved. I had enough to modernize the operation and make a large downpayment on some farm equipment. I went over to the local International Harvester dealer and purchased a tractor, several other pieces of equipment, and a bright red 1947 IH three-quarter ton pickup."

"I went to the Farmer's Coop to get a load of grain a couple of days later. Betty was working there, saw my shiny new red pickup, and swooned over it."

"Robert Baker! I did not swoon!"

"Okay, okay. Maybe she was just smitten."

"Pay him no mind, Craig. He's getting a bit delusional in his old age."

Grandpa winked at me and said, "Then, why did you agree to go to the drive-in on Saturday when I returned the following week?"

"I wanted to see Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in 'Road to Rio'. Besides, you were a handsome young man and I didn't have a car."

"See, Craig. She only went with me as a means to get into my truck."

"You only invited me into your truck so you could get into my panties."

I nearly choked as I spit out the Coke I was drinking when Grandma said that. Grandpa looked like he was going to say something when Grandma cut him off.

"Young folk always think they invented sex. They forget they wouldn't be here if their parents or grandparents didn't have sex. Drive-ins were the prime make-out places for young folks in 1947. Besides, that floor mounted gearshift lever made a somewhat effective, if primitive, birth control device."

"I did not try to get into your panties on our first date. It was on our fourth date, and I wasn't successful until the seventh."

"Bob!"

"Don't 'Bob' me. You started this, and Craig now knows why we try to go to the drive-in in Brattleboro once a summer, and take that old truck."

We were all laughing hysterically by now. I said, "You two are incorrigible. I'm going to go get ready for milking," when I finally stopped laughing.

I heard Grandma say, "I wonder if he knows that we still make love," as the screen door closed behind me.

"Of course he does. You have never been very quiet when you come. Still aren't."

The last thing I heard was, "Bob!" as they both burst out laughing again.

1990

"Craig called earlier. He's bringing a girl home for Thanksgiving."

"Details, Betty."

"That's all I know. He'll be here sometime Wednesday."

***

"Grandma, Grandpa, this is Christina. "

"Nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Baker. Thank you for letting me join your family for Thanksgiving.

"Welcome, Christina. There's always room for one more. I'm Betty and this is Bob. Let me show you to your room."

Grandpa asked, "Tell me about Christina," after they left to go upstairs.

"Not much to say. Just met her this semester. We're in the same computer science class. Don't know her very well. Nice girl, from Ohio. Her parents farm there. It was too far for her to go home to Ohio just for the weekend, so she had planned to stay in the dorm. Thanksgiving in the dorm has to be awful, so I offered her a real Thanksgiving meal and she accepted."

"Well done, Craig."

***

Christina said, "Thanks so much for inviting me. All of your family was so nice to me," when we were on the bus ride back to Burlington.

She leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. That was totally unexpected. "You were an instant hit with Grandpa when you changed into work clothes and came out to the barn to help with chores."

"It's the least I could do. While my parents raised corn and soybeans, we always had a Jersey for house milk. I learned to milk by hand at an early age, since it was impractical to have a milking machine for just one cow. I also cleaned the gutter, hayed, and grained her. I figured there was probably something I could do to help with the chores."

"Grandma also was impressed that you helped her and Aunt Caroline with dinner, especially with the cleanup. Thanks. She told me you were a keeper and I should 'pursue' you. I think she assumed we were in a relationship."

Christina laughed, "Kind of early for that, since we haven't even been on a date yet."

I thought about that for a minute, wondered why we hadn't, and asked, "Would you be interested in that? Dating, I mean."

"I think I would enjoy that. But first, you should know that all my friends call me Chris," she said as she leaned her head on my shoulder and squeezed my hand.

"Chris it is then." We ended up talking the rest of the way to UVM. More of a 'getting to know you' conversation than the small talk we had on the way down. It was the best bus ride, to or from UVM, that I ever had.

1991

"Craig called while you were milking. He wanted to know if Christina, now known as Chris, could stay with us for the summer. It seems they both have lined up a job in Brattleboro doing some kind of computer stuff. I said yes, of course."

"Do you think they are..."

"I'd be surprised if they weren't. They'll both be seniors this fall. Craig is 21 and I assume Chris is or will be soon. They certainly are both old enough and mature enough. I thought we should replace the twin bed in Craig's room with a double. There's enough room in there for a bigger bed. Sears has a set on sale this week."

"Betty...."

"Don't 'Betty' me. This is 1990. Things are different than when we were their age. They're college students. Craig was born the year that Woodstock thing happened. At his age, a college student, and growing up in this era, I'm pretty sure he knows about sex, especially having grown up on a farm." Betty paused for a minute, then continued, "Do you remember when we saw the Woodstock movie at the drive-in in our old red truck? We sure steamed up the windows that night. You were fifty years old and couldn't keep your hands off of me."

"Still can't. You're as desirable today as the day we met."

"You're just a horny old man and I still love you. The point is that if they're not already doing it, they will be while living under the same roof. I think we should just let nature take its course and not make it difficult or awkward for them."

"Go ahead and order it. I'm going to go take my shower."

"Dinner won't be ready for an hour or so. Take your shower, then come to bed for an appetizer before dinner."

***

"Thank you for letting me stay here this summer."

"Chris, we're just happy to have you two young folks staying with us."

"We need to discuss my paying my fair share."

"Pffft. Nonsense, my dear. That's not necessary. We're happy to have you here."

"Thank you, Betty. I can at least help out with the chores."

"There is less to do now that Bob is semi-retired. He's only helping out with the afternoon milking. Do you remember meeting Craig's Aunt Caroline, Uncle Carl, and their two boys at Thanksgiving? They're running the daily operations of the farm now. Less for Bob to do. Let's go up and get you settled in."

We had several bags to take upstairs since we had to clear everything out of the dorm. I helped Chris get her things to her room first. I started to carry my things up to my room while she was unpacking. I noticed my childhood twin bed was replaced by a double bed upon entering my room. I went back downstairs and found Grandma alone in the kitchen.

"Uh, Grandma, there's a new bed in my room."

"Yes, Dear. We thought it might be more comfortable for you."

"My old bed was just fine."

"Fine for one, but that 'you' was plural."

"Uh.... Chris is just a friend."

Grandma grinned as she said, "No, she isn't, Craig. Open your eyes. Besides, she can stay in her room if that's what you both want. Oh, I also put a box of condoms in the bedside table drawer, just in case. You two need to be safe, you know."

I was flabbergasted, but probably shouldn't have been. Grandma always was pretty direct. I took the rest of my stuff up and sat on the bed, wondering what had just happened. I was still sitting on the bed, staring off into space, when Chris came in and sat down beside me.

"Earth to Craig? Craig? Are you okay, Craig?"

"Uh, yes. Just in a bit of a shock."

"What's wrong?"

I collected my thoughts, and, after a moment, I said, "Do you remember this room from when you were here at Thanksgiving? Anything look different?"

Chris scanned around the room. "It looks the same to me."

"It's the bed, Chris. I used to have a twin bed." I related my conversation with Grandma.

"Let me get this straight. We've known each other for 9 months now and you've never made a move on me. Your Grandma has seen me twice and thinks we're in love?"

"Shit, Chris. I'm sorry...."

"Shut up before you dig yourself in any deeper, Craig. I thought you were smart but Betty is much more perceptive than you are."

"But we are just friends, we were both taking very heavy course loads and your dorm was way on the other side of campus, I had work study and...."

She picked up a pillow and whacked me aside of my head. "You're still digging yourself in deeper, you dumbass." Chris pushed me onto my back, rolled over on top of me and started kissing me. Kissing continued, but also involved mutual groping. It seemed to last forever until we heard,

"Dinner's ready in five minutes, you two."

We sat up, straightened out our clothes and went downstairs. Grandma was alone in the kitchen, smirked, and said, "It looks like you two may have had a little discussion."

Grandpa appeared and we sat down to eat before I could respond. I noticed that it was Chris who was smirking now. We all settled in the living room after dinner was done and cleaned up. Grandpa and I each had a beer while Grandma and Chris had some white wine.

"Since you two will be working in Brattleboro and neither of us want to run a twice a day taxi service, I got the old red pickup tuned up, registered, and inspected. It's not fancy, but it's reliable."

"Thanks, Grandpa. I was planning to ask if that was a possibility."

"When do you start?"

"Monday."

"Why don't you take it out tomorrow and see if you remember how to drive it. Remember, first gear is not synchronized."

"I think I can handle it."

Chris popped in with, "I learned to drive on a '48 Dodge 2-ton. I can handle it if Craig can't."

Grandma responded with, "I think our old red truck is in good hands, Bob. Why don't you show Chris around Brattleboro tomorrow, Craig, maybe have dinner at the Mole's Eye, and go to the drive-in. 'Ghost' is playing and I read that it's really good." She gave me a wink as she said this. We eventually, went to bed, separately, but not before some more kissing and fondling ensued.

I spent Saturday morning cleaning the truck inside and out. Grandpa may have had the mechanicals checked over, but it he certainly hadn't done any cleaning.

"Good to see you doing the right thing, Craig. I was going to suggest that you give it a good cleaning if you hadn't started by noon. Girls like clean and neat, you know."

***

Since jeans were the de rigueur 'uniform' of students everywhere, I was surprised to see Chris come downstairs in a sundress. I had never seen her in a dress before and was glad that I upgraded myself to khakis and a polo shirt. "You're beautiful, Chris. That dress is stunning on you."

"Thanks. It was your grandma's suggestion."

I looked over at Grandma who winked and smiled. Again, with the winking. Grandpa said, "Put the transmission in reverse if you do go to the drive-in. The gearshift lever is in the most out of the way position that way," as we were getting ready to leave.

"Bob!"

"What? It's true and you know it from experience."

I chuckled, Chris blushed, and Grandma hmphed. We headed to Brattleboro. I gave Chris the nickel tour and we did end up at the Mole's Eye for dinner. I asked, "There must be more to the story about you wearing a dress," as we were waiting for our check after dinner.

Chris looked around before quietly saying, "There is. To quote her exact words, your grandma said, 'Wear a dress if you brought one. It's easier to cover up in a hurry if you have to at the drive-in. Oh, and panties are optional, although you could wear them to start with and take them off in the restaurant's ladies' room, when you freshen up after dinner.'"

I was dumbstruck, again. The server showed up with our check but before I could respond. Chris excused herself to use the restroom. I asked, "So, are you or aren't you?" as we were walking back to the truck.

She said, "You'll just have to find out for yourself," with a twinkle in her eye.

I parked in the last row at the drive-in. I did find out part way through the movie. No, she wasn't wearing any. Speaking for myself, I didn't really see much of the movie after that. We went upstairs and prepared for bed when we got home.

"I want to sleep with you tonight, but just actual sleeping sleep for tonight, not sleep with you to have sex sleep."

"Uh, okay. Did I do something wrong?"

"Relax, Craig. You really are clueless sometimes. I've wanted to have sex with you for months. It's just that I'm tired tonight after a grueling exam week, then moving out of the dorms, and in here. It will happen soon. Just not tonight."

Chris used the bathroom first and was already under the covers when I returned. I undressed down to my boxers and slipped in beside her. It was immediately apparent that she wasn't wearing anything when she rolled over.

"Take them off, Craig. If I have to be bare assed naked, you do too."

"Have to be?"

"Betty 'suggested' that it would save work, water and laundry detergent if we shared a bed and didn't have a second set of linens to clean each week, and it would save even more if I didn't wear a nighty or jammies. Who was I to argue with that logic?"

"Who indeed?"

We surprisingly both fell asleep fairly quickly, but not before some extended kissing and caressing happened. I woke up the next morning by Chris poking me in the side.

"What is that banging noise?"

I had to laugh. "That is two seventy-something-year-olds having sex and the headboard hitting the wall." This was followed by loud moaning, culminating in a very loud female vocal outburst. "Grandma, in particular, has never been quiet. It's been the sound track of my life for as long as I can remember."

Chris laughed. "They're still doing it at their age?"

"Hearing is believing. I don't know if it is chemically enhanced, but it happens pretty regularly."

I rolled onto my side and realized that I was poking her, and it wasn't with my finger.

"Sorry."

"Don't be."

She reached down and squeezed me. I glanced over at the clock. "Probably best to leave that for later. Breakfast will be in ten minutes or so, and you know how farmers need to keep to a schedule so that everything gets done by the end of the day."

We undressed each other that evening, and eventually made love for the first time. I'd like to say it was spectacular, but the reality was that we were both a little nervous, which made it a little awkward. However, like all the generations before us, we had figured it out by the end of the summer. Well, at least the basics.

1992 and beyond.

We both graduated that June and went to work full time for Brattleboro Technology Group, the company that we worked for the previous summer. By mutual agreement, we stayed in the old farmhouse with my grandparents. I think that they were happy to have us there. Chris and I picked up more of the household chores as age began to take its toll on them. We could afford to buy a new car with both of us having good jobs and decent salaries, and the old red truck was retired again.

We were married on the farm the following summer and continued the two-generation shared home. My grandparents' relationship was my inspiration on how to model my married life with Chris. We became a three-generation home with the birth of our son, Nicholas, in 1994, followed by his sister, Sarah, the following year.

12