The Outsider

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Both carried enough water to get far off the main trail; the skis made virtually no noise.

The candid pictures of the animals were almost too good, and it was if the animals didn't even know that the pair were there, much less a threat. The most shared picture was the one B took of a Cedar Waxwing eating a suet block off of the outstretched arm of Kathy. The pair edited the day's shoot and posted nightly.

They went back to the ranger station/education center regularly to get more water, bird food, and to generally rest. A young boy, no older than eight years of age, asked to see some of the pictures on their cameras. "Wow, these are so cool. How did you get so close? Can you make me a copy?"

"Mom, you got to see these pictures!"

"My son is right, and I never saw such animals in such detail."

"Do you have a computer at home young man?" The boy nodded. "Here is the name of our blog. The pictures will look even better once we balance out the colors. Send us an invite; then you can view and print any of them you want."

"Can I Mom, please? I hardly use my computer for anything."

Mom, surprised, she never saw her son so interested in anything before, and he never asked for much. She nodded her head and made a mental note to get an inexpensive camera for her son's birthday in a few months.

"All right! Thank you, mister, thank you miss, you made my day!"

"Ma'am, I know it is not my place, but I would go to your local wild bird center and ask how you can attract birds for your situation; squirrels are the worst, you can ask them how to deal with the problem.

"Seeing and identifying all the birds with their brilliant colors makes each day an enjoyable event for the whole family. The fantastic yellow of the Goldfinch, the red of a Northern Cardinal, the orange and black of a robin, not to mention all the woodpeckers, doves, and sparrows to name but a few. Even a pigeon, also known as a rock dove, it's a lovely bird, if you look at it closely."

Kathy whispered in the mom's ear, "Get him a beginner set of binoculars and a bird book first. If he likes to identify the birds, and has an interest in it, then get a camera for Christmas."

B took a picture of the little boy and his Mom to post on the blog.

Kathy and B each had a Go-Pro camera on their hats in case they stumbled on something while doing cross-country, or now, when they were going to do the downhill runs at the lodge.

By the time they got back to college for the spring term, B's shell had cracked wide open. The living arrangements were almost perfect. Kathy wished B lived in Matron's house. She did not realize that living under that contract, he couldn't see her; yet by living at Helen's, it freed him of those constraints.

"Miss President, I am told that this sorority does service projects, and we didn't do one last semester. I have put a service project on the town's docket for Friday night at 19:00. Could you request that the girls and our Fraternal brothers show up in force, say 18:30?"

"That is our mission Kathy, but no one had any ideas last semester. I will make the call, you can count on us."

Friday night was standing room only at the town hall; students filled the room.

"Kathy, I am intrigued about what you have to say about our wall. You can have the floor."

"Thank you, Madame President and commissioners. I apologize in advance as I may go over my time limit. I ask that I can get some latitude; this is important to me."

"Granted."

"As a Canadian, I truly appreciate the sacrifices that were made by my forefathers, so I could have the freedoms I have today."

"I would like a show of hands for anyone on the board who has visited our Wall of Remembrance in the past year on their own time?"

No show of hands.

"It is not my intention to insult, but can I have a show of hands of the board members who knows where the Wall of Remembrance is?"

No show of hands, again.

"I was at our Wall of Remembrance yesterday. There are one hundred and fifteen names on the wall; my service project will cover two areas of the campus. The people in the back of me do not know it yet, but I believe that they will support me."

"Firstly, our wall is bland and boring, so it blends into the background. I propose to create a meditation type garden with a couple of park benches near the wall for people to come to pay their respects. In addition to the tall flag pole we have there with our flag, I ask that we add a POW-MIA flag under it and four smaller flag poles, two poles flanking the center one with flags representing all our military branches."

"Secondly, I wish to play you a verse of a song. B if you please."

B hit the play button and the song Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree came over the speakers.

"As you know, we have a huge oak tree on our quad. I purpose having some netting of some kind that wouldn't hurt the tree but had one hundred and fifteen yellow ribbons tied to it. A living memorial, one that embodies the acknowledgment of all those sacrifices made in the past, and its personification into the students of the present. Also, have a few park benches under the tree for people to rest."

Madame President spoke, "Thank you, Kathy, for your enlightening presentation. I am embarrassed that I don't know where our wall is, and even more ashamed that I have not thought about all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice."

"I will put a motion the floor. If the vote passes, we will help you along the process to complete the projects."

"I move for initial passage of renovation to our Wall of Remembrance and to our oak tree as denoted in Kathy's presentation."

"Do we have a second?"

"Seconded."

"So, moved."

"For the vote, who is 'yea'?"

All hands raised.

"Who is 'nay'?"

No hands raised.

"Motion passes 9-0, congratulations Kathy; we will keep you informed."

There was a round of applause for Kathy; she was beaming. Her great-grand-dad was a decorated officer in WW I; his name appears on the wall. This project had special meaning for Kathy.

The projects morphed into a grassroots campaign, and the whole campus wanted to take ownership.

Kathy covered the sorority bulletin board with blank white paper. She wrote down all that needed to happen for this phase, and deadline dates, then assigned committees to work on their area. A business associated with the college used interns for architecture and landscape design for a reduced cost.

Helen's girls were a great help with organization, no time deferral was allowed.

Everything happened so quickly, the wall had all the plant material sandblasted away, and the stonework mortared. The brass plaques polished to an impressive sunlit brilliance. Kathy and Carol made many of the large yellow ribbons, and the fire company draped the net on the tree.

Kathy and her family had the honor to place the wreath on opening day. The dedication on the benches was modest "To those who served with honor and dignity." After the wreath laying, Kathy and her parents each walked over to place a poppy next to her great granddad's name; Kathy kissed the nameplate.

Kathy walked sobbing into B's arms. "He was my Great Grand-Dad B; I had to do something."

"I know Kath, I know. We are all here to honor him and his name as well as all the others who never came back. It is a debt we can never repay. You made our wall into a showcase, standing tall and proud. He may have died in 1917, but he still lives on in you."

A still sniffling Kathy asked, "You think that?"

"What does your heart tell you? What motivated him to join the war? What drove you to do work on the project? What motivated everyone on campus to help? They did not know of him, except for the family morals and values they see in you every day."

"I love you B."

"I love you too Kath."

In late March, the Ornithological club came back from their big two-week trip to the States. They traveled to Nebraska to see the feeding site on the migratory path of the Sand Hill Cranes, some 600,000 of them. The treasured pictures were that of the Whooping Cranes. From there the Cranes flew north to Canada, and even some to Siberia. Kathy and B were more than jealous.

While eating dinner, Matron asked Kathy, "Where are you two going on Spring Break?"

"We weren't thinking of going anywhere. Do you have some suggestions?"

"What about someplace like Grand Isle, Louisiana. I hear they have over one hundred different species of birds down there, and the eco-systems are more unique than around here, or perhaps, some other southern US area."

B called the forest service in Grand Isle. "My girlfriend and I want to find a good birding spot in the southern US and was wondering what to expect if we go down to Grand Isle. We love to photograph birds and wildlife, so your eco-systems would be a good contrast from up here in Northern Canada."

"Well even if you miss the very beginning of the season, there will be more than enough to photograph. We have several kinds of eco-systems here on Grand Isle, you can expect t see..."

Kathy could see the excitement grow in B. The longer he talked to the ranger, the more expressive his face became. "Thank you, Ranger, your information has been most helpful. It sounds like a good experience for us to have."

"What do you say, babe, want to go?" B was prepared to duck as he said those words, and the couch pillow sailed over his head and hit an innocent table lamp behind him.

The question was almost rhetorical; both were deeply in love with each other. The ring was a mere formality. Moreover, once B got home, and was about to go to bed, he was on Skype doing nightly prayer time with Kathy; this was the seal on their relationship.

None saw the romance coming, least of all B and Kathy. Kathy was so far out of his league, and B, well he walked out into a blizzard rather than speaking to Kathy, or should I say the woman who was sitting next to him. It was not a good first impression.

However, it is what B didn't do that most captivated her. As a cheerleader, most guys fawned all over her. B didn't let her talk about herself. He had no idea she was a cheerleader while disconcerting for someone used to talking about themselves, not doing so was charming in and of itself.

Good news came just before Spring Break; their grades soared, they were both awarded with free rides for the rest of their school plus books. If they kept their grades up, next year they could have internships.

Kathy had mixed emotions on internships. Because of different majors, their time together would be restricted.

"Kathy, they will be a great experience. If you think I am going anywhere, you are crazy. When we graduate, I hope to propose to you and hope you say "Yes." Then we get an apartment or house. We will need jobs.

Kathy jumped off the couch and into B's arms with her legs wrapped around his waist. Kathy proceeded to smother B with kisses. Kathy screamed, "Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!" I think I will need to remind you every day."

When they came down for dinner, they got a round of applause. Kathy and B blushed.

"Well, it took you long enough B. A blind man could see how in love you two are."

The next day, Miss President, Carol, and Kathy dragged B down to the jewelers; they were like kids in a candy store. B brought Chuck along for moral support.

"Sir, we are looking for an engagement ring. B and I have prayer time nightly, so I was thinking of a triangle for the Trinity or something else with Christian meaning."

Yes, Miss, we have many requests of that type. May I pass along my congratulations for you. Follow me."

All the girls were amazed at how all the diamonds sparkled.

"We sell white diamonds here. However, we can obtain a yellow one for Miss. We should have a book in the back that shows other colors and cuts of gems. Are you aware that the old Apple logo contained every color of diamonds?"

"Here we are, this is a two-carat yellow diamond. It shows up better in the picture. Is this the style of cut Miss wishes? You have slender fingers; a quarter of a carat would suit you."

"Do you have a white diamond of this cut in that size here?"

"Yes Miss, follow me. I have been in Jewel-crafting my entire life, and I believe that the yellow has a brilliance the white does not have; it ranks right behind the pink in my opinion.

"I suggest the setting to be on a narrow golden band. What would the inscription be?"

B stepped up to the counter, "To K, with my ever-endearing love, B."

"You are a kiss up B," said Chuck.

"No, I am not; I am just learning how not to get punched in the arm by Kathy.

"You need to follow the eight-word rule, Chuck."

"'Yes Dear." You say that often.

"'I'm sorry." You say that a lot.

"Finally, 'While you are up,' you never, ever say."

Two weeks later B was using his macro lens to take pictures and video of the ring on Kathy's finger.

Kathy was not sure how to post her blog; going from birds to rings does not track. Then she giggled.

"AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!"

"What do you get when you put a yellow diamond on a gold band?"

The pictures and video's followed.

"... Very happy fiancé, I SAID 'YES!'

"I got the yellow in a triangle shape to symbolize the Trinity. B and I will need God's help for our marriage to work."

A little boy far away was slowly looking at the new pictures on the blog; suddenly he bounded out of his chair. "Mommy, come look; he finally did it!"

"Oh my, that is exquisite. I never saw a yellow diamond before."

"So, have they married Mommy?"

"No, dear, they are engaged to be married. They will get married after they graduate."

The engagement was the talk of the campus. Everyone wanted to see the ring; no one had ever seen a yellow diamond, many thought that was for sapphires. Kelly had to explain. "'The Hope Diamond' is a blue diamond because it was in the presence of boron gas. This diamond had sulfur gas."

"Mommy, I want to be like them. They were nice to me, and they like things like animals."

"You need to work hard in school then, college is hard, and getting to know someone can be painful. Did you see on the blog Miss Kathy mentioned God needs to help them in their marriage? You could include them in your prayers."

"God won't use me to help them."

"Why not? He already put them in your life. You have things in common, and you have an extra fifteen years to help them. It sounds like you are the front runner."

"Look at this," Mom scrolled back several pages on the blog, "Who is that?"

"It's you and me on our trip when we met them."

"I think it is time for me to give you this, it's Miss Kathy's e-mail address. Why don't you write her a long e-mail, tell her everything we talked about, don't forget to congratulate her and B. Dinner is in thirty minutes."

The little boy wrote a very long e-mail to Miss Kathy, everything from what he did that day, to how much he loved the blog, what he and Mommy talked about, and said he was going to put them in his prayers. He didn't know what to put on the subject line; so he put TO THE B TEAM FROM TOMMY.

Tears were streaming down Kathy's cheeks. "B put that down, you need to read this. It is from that little boy we met." B was stunned.

Kathy hit the reply button.

"Dear Tommy, only have time for a short note. I was crying when I read your e-mail. Most people would not even think about praying for someone else. I will long for your prayers. Your Mom was right; God put all my friends into my life, some for a short time, some forever."

"God had us meet for a reason; only God knows why. Life sometimes is hard; we can sure use you in our corner. We will be in yours if you let us."

"Keep watching the blog for Spring Break. B and I are going to the Gulf of Mexico, that's at the bottom of the United States. Ask your Mom for a map of North America, and you can track where we go. The library has lots of children's books on birds and animals; you might enjoy them."

Tommy had to go to bed right after dinner, but eventually, he will read what Kathy wrote. Kathy and B came right after Mommy and family in his prayers.

"Tommy after church, I want you to talk to Miss Daisy."

"You mean that old lady who wears cowboy boots? Why does she wear cowboy boots, Mommy?"

"She earned them. She won a horse riding championship when she was nine. Her horse's name was Angel."

"Ask her how to start a prayer log; she knows all about them."

Tommy approached Miss Daisy. "Miss Daisy, Momma told me that you could teach me how to start a prayer log. Could you teach me?"

"I have been doing my prayer log for over eighty years; my best friend showed me how to make one. It is straightforward. You must remember you are talking to God Tommy. He wants to hear about everything in your life. Your job is a little harder because once you ask for something, you have to be aware enough to see God was faithful to answer your prayer. That is the whole key and purpose of the prayer log."

"Tommy, take a piece of paper and put the date including the year in the left margin, then in the center, with a few words write what you are praying. Miss Sarah had me write at least ten prayers the first time. She knew God would answer them quickly. 'Let's say your prayer is Mommy has a cold; please make her well.' Then you wait. In a couple of weeks, Mommy is not sick; what are you going to do?"

"I don't know."

"Well, who made Mommy well again?"

"God."

"Are you going to tell Him something?"

"Umm, Thank you."

"A simple thank you or tell the world that God made my Mommy well again and you are celebrating."

"I love my Mommy. I want God to know that I would celebrate!"

"I want you to think about this question. You will be giving thanks to God for a lot of things. How are you going to remember all the times he was faithful to you by answering your prayers?"

"I am not sure Miss Daisy, that is a lot to remember."

"My best friend taught me to put a date God answered your prayer on the right side of the prayer and cover the whole line in yellow highlighter. First, you will have one yellow line, then a page full, then you will make a second volume."

"Then you need a particular family and friends' book for prayers like 'Keep Mommy safe,' that has no end date, but every time you see or talk to your Mommy, then you know God is faithful to you, even if she is sick."

"Tommy, this is just one way for you to see God's faithfulness, perhaps you should ask God what the best way is for you. That is the important thing. I review mine every three to six months. Remember to have some private time with you and God, besides talking about your prayer log. I have thirty minutes alone with God, then an hour for just my prayer log in the morning, then an hour at night with my prayer log."

"Tommy, I hear you have some friends who like to take pictures of birds and animals."

"I do, Miss Kathy and B. She is engaged now."

"I lived on a ranch since I was four. You have to earn your keep at the ranch. I could not do much of the outside jobs to begin with, so my jobs were inside. It was a big commitment, but Miss Sarah trusted me with those horses. She let me figure out how to solve problems. Later I became a vet for the ranch. I saw many babies born. The miracle of life, it is amazing seeing up close and personal."

"I took Angel out on birding trips all the time. There were all sorts of birding areas to see, and the deal was, every new bird I saw I had to check it off on my life list. I then wrote the name down in a special book. It was one of their sneaky ways for me to learn to read and write, but I was so interested in birds I didn't even realize it."

"Tommy, I want you to talk to my best friend, she is calling me now." Soon the ring tone of "You have a friend in me" rang. Daisy had not heard that tune for years."