The Painting in the Background

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I respect your honesty."

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Anything without alcohol. I'm driving."

Robin got an opportunity to release a deep breath he wasn't aware he'd been holding. Something about Jared's presence was tremendously unsettling. Heather had proceeded to speak to a tall, lanky fellow he didn't know. He returned to where Jared sat still, scrolling through his phone.

"Here you go." Robin handed him a glass of apple juice and returned to his seat. He made a weak attempt at starting a conversation. "So you want to go to Whitestone College?"

"That's the plan."

"Well it's a damn good school, you'll be making a smart move."

"What do you do there?"

"Visual arts. So you're in luck."

Jared relaxed into the chair and watched him with an indifferent expression. Robin had a difficult time fighting the uneasiness of being observed by the strange man beside him. He tried to convince himself that it was nothing unusual—plenty of artists back in school tended to possess a confounding personality.

"You seem my age. What took you so long to apply?"

"I've been working at Turner's Centre for visual arts. What makes you think we're the same age?"

Robin shrugged. "I don't know. How old are you?"

Jared hesitated. "Twenty-two."

"Oh cool, I was right. I'm twenty-one. I didn't get your last name."

"Hurley."

Robin had lost his attention. Jared studied the people crowding the glass door. Some of them were getting louder from all the liquor passing around. Gary was the center of the show, handing out bottle after bottle and proposing silly toasts.

"The giant who can't keep his mouth shut, that's Gary."

Jared went silent for too long, watching the commotion.

Robin started to panic. Why is he like this? Does he think I'm boring?

"You okay?" Robin asked.

"I'm a smoker, I obviously need one right now but I can't." He spoke without glancing in his direction.

"I certainly didn't say you're forbidden. Go ahead."

Jared turned his head, a smile playing on his lips. "An honest pushover."

"Hey, I invited you here. I don't want to see you bored. Look at how mad everyone is going."

"Whatever, man."

Robin leaned back in his seat. It had taken him a while to finally get hold of his nerves. "But seriously, go ahead, I can tolerate it. I should be advising you to stop altogether."

Jared gave a weary look. "I have enough people on my back about it, so spare me, please."

"Are you showing me respect because I offered to help you?"

"A break from smoking helps sometimes. I do it a lot. Even when I'm at work. Jessie gets so frustrated. She's at the top of the list of people who lecture me."

"She seems nice."

"Yeah, she is. A close friend."

Not only had Robin thought Jared wouldn't show up, he would have never believed he'd be so open after a short time knowing each other. He figured Jared needed his help and made an effort to socialize.

"We can start tomorrow, that's if you're not busy," Robin suggested.

"Sure, I'll swing by after lunch."

Jared let his breath out, a smile threatening to break free at the corner of his mouth. He finished off his apple juice and placed the glass on the table. He gave in and took out a cigarette, sparking it up with a gold lighter. Robin stayed in place, bothered by the strong stench but not so much to continue complaining. He found that he enjoyed Jared's almost quiet company and to his fascination, sneaked a glance in his direction to watch him succumb to a toxic addiction.

Chapter Three

In the morning, Robin woke up more excited than usual. He was quick to get ready, struggling to pick out the right tshirt. He settled for a forest green V-neck vest, exposing his muscular arms. A pair of faded blue jeans slipped on with ease over his tan legs. His portfolio package arrived. Kevin collected it for him and dropped it off in his room.

"Why are you locked up in here? The party is downstairs."

"Still going on?" Robin rummaged through the box, delighted to see all his files intact.

"Yeah, Gary insisted that his close friends stay in the guest rooms."

"Why am I not surprised? I'll join you later."

"Cool." Kevin closed the door.

It was late in the afternoon when Kevin returned to inform him about Jared's arrival. Robin searched the room as he descended the steps and spotted his visitor near the open doorway carrying a slim leather bag, dressed in monochrome clothes—a white tshirt and black jeans. He raked a hand through his hair, appearing nervous and ill at ease. Robin approached him, waving a hand to gesture him to come in. As they walked in, Jared glanced around at the guests filling the sofas. A fleeting look of nervousness was on his face when the others approached them. He quickly regained his composure while Robin watched him.

"Oh my God, I can't stand it anymore. Who's this?" Amy asked, tilting her head.

"Jared Hurley, he's here to get help with some artwork," Robin said.

"That's nice. I'm Amy, and this is Kevin and Gary," Amy said. She was the only one to reach out and shake his hand.

Gary gave him what looked like a cocktail. "You came at the right time. Once you're done, join us for some dinner, please."

"Sure, but I'm driving. If you don't mind getting me something alcohol-free..." Jared returned the glass to Gary.

Robin led him to the upper floor, to the privacy of his bedroom. Robin struggled for words that would remove the expression of being out of place on Jared's face.

"Did you enjoy the party last night? Because you don't have to stay..."

"It was okay," Jared muttered. He marveled at the photographs near the window that overlooked a magnificent view. The silence stretched on as he stood there like a statue, studying the photographs with an absorbed expression.

"These are all yours?" Jared asked.

"Yes."

"I think these are... extraordinary." Jared shrugged, smiling, and for a moment, he wasn't the dark-haired stranger that intimidated Robin.

"Thanks, those are my greatest."

"Are you not planning to do better?"

Jared's penetrating gaze threw him off. Robin couldn't take his eyes off the handsome man standing across the room. What's happening to me?

"Yeah, I guess I can still top that, if I tried harder."

"You'll manage." Jared unzipped the leather bag and spread his paintings out on the desk. "This is what I'm working with."

When Robin went through the paintings, Jared stood close next to him. Jared's gaze burned into him.

"What do you think?"

Robin ran his fingers over the smooth texture. "Absolutely stunning. Some are simple and elegant."

"What do you make of this one?" Jared showed him one of an old woman sitting on a wooden chair before a fireplace.

"If you're thinking of impressing me or impressing the guy who'll assess it, you should do that but keep in mind that it's about your audience."

"Another one of your theories."

"It's true."

"Whatever, man. What do you think?" Jared insisted.

"It's exceptional."

"That's my grandmother."

His work ranged from portraits, peculiar designs, to subtle, natural colors on different landscapes.

"You're clearly someone who respects his craft. These are interesting enough," Robin said. "I think you'll fit perfectly."

"Spoken like you're one of the judges."

"Maybe I am." Robin smiled. There was something in Jared's black eyes that took all Robin's attention. His lips were a major distraction. Robin battled the urge to taste them.

Jared turned to focus on the pages with a slight frown. "I think it would've been easier if you were."

Worry lines appeared on Jared's forehead.

"You'll be fine. After seeing these, I doubt you need my help."

"Why did you agree in the first place?"

The question caught him off guard. "Because I can't say no to an opportunity to see some creativity. Why don't you join us on a boat ride? Maybe you can find some inspiration with the view of the island."

"I'll think about it."

Robin neared Jared's face, and Jared flinched away. A bitter sense of disappointment and instant panic filled Robin. He hoped Jared hadn't noticed his advances, merely that he was reacting to something else. The panic worsened. Jared sorted his paintings and neatly placed them back in the bag.

"I think that's enough for today."

Robin frowned. "Leaving so soon? I haven't shown you my—"

"I said for today. I have to get somewhere. Same time tomorrow."

Robin nodded, watching him leave the room. His words did little to assure him or erase the dejection creeping up his body. He was no longer in the mood to join the others downstairs. They are probably giddy from the drinks flowing anyway. Seeing Jared's paintings gave him some inspiration to start a drawing.

He fell asleep on the covers hours later. A persistent rustling sound drew him out of sleep. Groggily, he got off the bed to close the window. When he went to close the balcony doors, the sound grew louder. Something larger than a bird flapped rapidly through the trees. His gaze drifted through the many trees creeping above the roof, but he couldn't make out what was going on. The wind howled and pushed the twigs to flap over each other.

Robin moved closer to the edge of the balcony, squinting to see ahead. He glanced in the direction of the commotion every now and then, but he couldn't see anything. He concluded that it was nothing and closed the door.

Chapter Four

Reluctantly, Robin woke up late. The sun was at its brightest and highest point beyond the clouds. After a long, warm shower, he put on shorts and a light blue tshirt. He checked his phone to find a text from Jared stating that he'd join them for the trip. There was an obscure excitement at the thought of seeing him again.

Robin walked downstairs. The others were all ready to go. Amy carried the picnic basket, and Gary picked up the cooler box without much effort.

At their destination, the sight of the blue sea and white capped waves stirred the excitement in him. He listened to the waves of saltwater lapping along the shore. The familiar smell of palm trees and decomposing seaweeds brushed through with the wind.

Rays of sun penetrated his tan skin. Everyone entered the clearing with the beach in full view, following the coastal path leading to a small dock built at the edge of the estuary. The great delta was an amazing sight. In the distance, the Atlantic, a deep turquoise hue, promised a lovely journey. Different shades of green veiled tiny streams flowing into the sea.

Robin trotted down the track when the others were already on the dock. Kevin and Amy were inseparable, boarding the sailboat together. Amy ambled across the platform. She walked gracefully onto the deck of the boat and made herself comfortable. She had on a satin black blazer over an ivory sleeveless robe. Her bag had small gleaming details.

"Kevin bought me this, I adore it," she said.

One sailboat was tied against logs supporting the dock. Gary started untying the large brown ropes. He was set on doing everything on the bucket list he'd shown them before moving to the holiday home. They'd all tagged along because the guy knew how to have fun.

The incomplete drawing he'd started last night... How had he lost the desire to find inspiration? He was losing his thoughts to the open sea sprawling far beyond. He reached the edge of the dock and looked into the deep blue seawater. Robin was still silent on a blanket against the deck bench when they were all aboard. Gary jumped into the cockpit right in front of them and steered the boat.

Robin surged forward, dropping next to Amy. Kevin was the last one to topple inside. The boat rolled gently away from the harbor, and the headwaters of the delta made loud splashes propelling it forward. It drifted out to sea, and they were on their way. The clouds were still dark, promising more showers later on in the day. Sounds of the ocean waves were calming. The sunlight carried a soft breeze.

"There it is, the private Mena Island."

Gary pointed at an expansive dark layer on the horizon. Robin looked farther into the distance where the seawaters had a darker blue color and the waves were more violent and peaking. It was clouded by fog. He strained his eyes to make out the silhouette of a small island.

"Are we going there?" Amy asked.

"Not today." Gary grinned. "But we will."

"Not the best weather for a boat ride," Amy said.

"Don't worry. Gary here is the best sailor around after his father. Rough seas are his specialty," Kevin praised.

"Is there anything Gary cannot do?" Amy asked.

Robin turned to face her. He leaned against the bench, too. "You sound like his groupie."

Jared had managed to avoid Robin for a while, but now he sat across from him, gazing out at the dark blue sea commanding his attention. Robin tried to seem just as uninterested in his presence by taking random pictures of the island.

"So, Jared, you said you're an aspiring artist." Amy eyed him with keenness.

"Yeah, I'm trying to get in to the Art and Design College."

"Oh, nice. I'm sure it won't be long until you join us there."

"I guess it will be easier now. Robin is helping with my portfolio."

"Oh yeah, he's gifted. You're in good hands," she said with a faint smile, viewing the horizon.

Robin kept taking shots at different angles. His curls were a mass, hanging and blowing carelessly over his face.

"Has he shown you some of his work?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah, a sneak peek."

"Out of this world, I tell you. I'm always begging him to show me a thing or two."

Jared looked at Robin with renewed interest. It made Robin uncomfortable. Robin shrugged, acting like he was merely an average artist.

"So where did you learn how to draw?" Amy asked.

"I joined the art class in high school. After that I taught myself—well, apart from the pastel and ink pictures, an old friend helped me."

"That's impressive." Amy brushed some hair off her face. "Now I'm eager to see your work."

"It's stunning, never seen anything quite like it before." Robin thought aloud.

Jared watched him wearily. Gary let go of the wheel and the boat started drifting off on its own.

"You were falling asleep anyway," Kevin said.

"No, I wasn't," Gary said, his eyes concealed by sunglasses. "The jetty is a few miles away. Let's just cruise, no rush."

After several minutes, they reached the island shore. The water was a darker blue, white capped, and heaving to the rock pools. The beach had too many coal boulders on every edge of the sand. A thin border of actual sand appeared where they stopped, and the rest were rocks of all shapes, sizes, and color with fierce waves crashing and breaking against them.

Robin was unsettled by the gloom that emanated from Jared. There was an unspoken burden he was carrying as he tried to socialize with his friends. The sailboat pitched, and Gary worked on putting the sails away. The sea breeze forced the boat onto the shoreline, creaking when it slammed against the wooden platform. Gary leaped out, high in the air, and landed on the sand with his bare feet.

"Finally," he shouted with echoes bouncing off the cliffs nearby.

"Feel like a kid again yet?" Kevin threw some bags at him.

"Ladies first." Kevin leered at Amy.

They stood from the blanket.

Amy held her robe at the hem and hurled herself over the port in one quick blur, her landing on the platform skillful. Robin only saw her moving again near the trees. Jared stood on the edge of the rail, dropping on the platform in one lithe motion. Robin figured they were accustomed to such expeditions. He followed while putting on his backpack. His heavy landing felt bone deep.

The darkness of shadows beneath the trees created ghostly sounds, and as they looked upon the mystical jungle of Mena ahead. Robin spotted a grand, secluded holiday home hidden by the tallest palm trees.

"So how far do we hike up?" Gary asked.

"Not more than two kilometers. I don't think I can handle more than that."

"What a chump, let's get to it."

They took the well-used paths leading up a gentle hill teeming with trees of different shades of green. The summer air was fresh, the heat turned down by the shade. Jared fell behind, trailing last while Gary led them through the trees. Robin slowed down in order for Jared to catch up. His head turned slowly to look at him, and Jared fell into step beside him. Sunlight broke through the trees, and Jared's eyes were dark coals. The dark yet imperceptible weight of his presence enthralled Robin.

"Have you ever been this side?" Robin asked.

"Yes, plenty of times with friends. You?"

"No, it's my first time actually. It's a wonderful place."

"Yeah, well it's a great tourist attraction. People keep coming. I guess they never mentioned what happened here in the news."

"What happened?"

"A couple disappeared a few weeks ago. Most people say they must've drowned because there's no trace of them anywhere."

"Sounds like a nightmare." Robin dragged his gaze from the striking presence beside him to scan the quiet jungle.

"Yeah, especially when you can't figure out what actually happened to them."

After almost an hour trekking up the hill, they came across a sign that read No Hiking Beyond This Point.

"Time to make our way back," Gary announced.

Robin grabbed the camera out of his carrier bag and snapped photos of the flower trees. He extended his vision beyond the sign to try to catch a glimpse of what they were being kept away from. It looked like an abandoned sanctuary from the top with blowing trees. The darkness of shadows beneath the trees created rather ghostly sounds.

He turned around after taking shots, surprised to find Jared standing there, watching him. Robin took a moment to entertain the strange desire he experienced while taking in the full view of Jared's body his chest rippling through his vest and seeing his muscular biceps for the first time.

"How often do you do that?" Jared asked.

"What?" Robin ran a hand through his curls.

"Photography."

"Oh, as much as I can. I guess it depends on where I am. But most of the time definitely. More than I do my artwork, that's for sure."

"Are you done?"

"Yeah, we can go."

Robin flushed, feeling weird and dazzled. He walked ahead of Jared to curb the growing fascination for his features. A figure lurked farther into the trees on their right, and Robin stopped dead in his tracks. He grabbed Jared's arm and pointed.

"Who's that?"

Jared's gaze followed his. He frowned. "That's nothing. Keep walking."

Robin shook his head. "No, some dude is walking on his own, and I think he's been watching us."

"I guess it's one of the people living in that beach house down there. Now can we get moving?" Jared said impatiently.

When they reached the island shore, Kevin and Amy were laying the picnic blankets and they set up the plates and cups for a late lunch. The intense sun turned Kevin's skin more pink than tan, but he didn't seem to mind as he munched down on a burger.

Chapter Five

They returned to the resort in the evening. After dropping off Jared at the shop as he requested, they went back to the mansion. Robin was grateful for the meditative trip. A blurring image moved behind the bushes. The others were already inside. The faint rustle of the leaves sounded as an image materialized before him.

"Jared, what the hell?"

The moment Robin saw him, he went blank again, not sure how to act. Disbelief surged through him. Despite his seeming calm, fear clutched at his heart. He stalked him, silent and menacing. Jared's ragged dress code grabbed his attention—a white shirt, buttoned down to expose his smooth chest, black jeans, and brown boots. The way in which his black eyes studied him sent chills down his spine. He exuded a lethal persona with the mysterious way he carried himself. They were apparent opposites.