The Perils of Mandy Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is this more orientation provided by the Institute?

"No, it is an invitation from an admirateur of music and Paris who would be honored by the company of a lady with analogous tastes."

So, he was asking for a date. There was an easy smile on Philippe's handsome, youthful face. It seemed more natural than the predatory expressions of fellow students who had come on to her and not choreographed like the toothy beaming of M. Duval. And Philippe was respectfully asking, rather than directing. She accepted.

* * *

Saturday dawned, Mandy's first free weekend in the City of Light, and her first date there.

It was a wonderful day, most of it spent at the Louvre and Versailles. Philippe proved a knowledgeable and savvy guide to the maze of world-class art and architecture, offering witty and interesting asides about the art and artists that only an insider would know. She praised his knowledge and he revealed having worked for a guide service to fund his undergraduate education.

Philippe also showed skill in his choice of Chez L'Ami Jean as a refuge from museum overload: Several small delicious courses and good house wine complemented nice sound from a duo on guitar and piano. The musicians were young enough to be students. She thought of M. Duval's job offer, which she was still uneasy about, perhaps due to the headmaster's hands-on mannerisms.

"You are so silent. Was the tour guide lacking?" Philippe was smiling at her. He had a nice mouth and deep brown eyes with laugh wrinkles.

"I'm sorry," she said, returning the smile. "I was lost in thought about something else."

"Do you wish to share?" he asked. "If it is a fault of the institute, then perhaps there is something I can do to rectify it?"

She wondered if she should confide in Duval's go-fer. Could he be trusted to give her an objective opinion, or would he urge her to trust his master, and then report back to him any misgivings she shared? But then, if she could not trust Philippe why should she have anything to do with him, and the sooner she knew it the better. He had been kind and generous so far, so why not take the chance. She related her discussions with Monsieur, his offer to get her a job, and even her misgivings about his manner.

"It may be that he is just a physical person, but the way he has touched me, well, if he was a younger man rather than a respected educator I would be absolutely certain he was hitting on me," she said. "And he is so eager to get me a job. At first, I wondered if he was expecting too much of my musical abilities. Now, I can't help wondering if he expects something else in return for his efforts. Am I being unfair?"

Philippe's face took on an unreadable expression, and he hesitated before saying, somewhat soberly, "I can guess where the job may be, and some of the complications you may face. The other day Monsieur asked that I make an appointment for tonight for him and another student who will be performing at one of his favorite clubs." He hesitated. "Perhaps you would be interested in seeing it? It may give you more insight."

She agreed. Philippe flagged down the waiter, and gave him a card, refusing her insistence on sharing the bill. They then proceeded to the Paris Metro and made their way to Le Club Joie de Vivre in the 5th Arrondissement.

There was a €15 cover charge for each of them, which Philippe put on his card, and told her not to be concerned as he had an expense account. Inside was a large room, the decor deep red and black in low lighting. When her eyes adjusted, Mandy's first impression was that she was woefully attired in dress pants and a sweater. Many people were decked out to the hilt, the women in expensive-looking, form-fitting dresses. A long bar was to the right and there was a low stage on the far side, with a dance floor in front of it. The place seemed packed. They found a table near the door, apparently freshly vacated as there were half-filled cocktail glasses on it.

"Here we may observe without being observed, and also, if we are fortunate, the serveuse will think we are taken care of, and we may avoid ordering highly-priced libations, as seems to be a concern for you," Philippe joked. "But even if we must order, refreshments are even more expensive through there." He pointed out a door near the stage, a big man in a dark suit standing in front of it, arms folded. "Through there is the 'club.' If we wanted to enter we would need to make a €150 payment."

"Just to enter?"

"It would entitle us also to a cocktail or one bottle of champagne. Refills after that would cost twice again what they are here in the cabaret, many times what they would be in an ordinary cafe or bistro."

Mandy made a whistling sound. "What is so great about the club?"

"It has advantages to people of . . . let us say appétits libidineu. There are annual memberships, which lowers the cost for frequent visitors, but look, do you recognize someone there?" Philippe pointed to where musicians were mounting the two or three steps to the stage: A pianist, bass player, and young woman in heels and strapless evening gown holding a small mandolin. The woman looked familiar.

"Is that Julie?" Mandy asked. Philippe nodded.

The music began, and it became evident that Julie had a stage presence, moving in slow, sure steps around the platform, strumming her mandolin while mouthing a throaty ballad in Italian. Mandy did not know the words, but there was no mistaking the sultry aura. Luxure, as M. Duval would say. It was evidently appreciated by the French cabaret crowd, judging by robust applause following the first song and two more that followed.

At the culmination, Julie smiled broadly, blew a kiss to the crowd and executed a sweeping bow, then descended the steps to the floor. A man rose from a table nearby, advanced to meet her, and bestowed pecks on both cheeks. Mandy recognized him also. He took her arm and escorted her to the door adjacent to the stage. The big man standing in front of the door opened it, stood aside, and gestured them through.

"It seems that M. Duval has paid the price of admission," Mandy said.

"I think it is a complimentary admission in a mutually beneficial arrangement," Philippe said. "The establishment seeks talented entertainers of young age and little experience, who will work for small gratuities. The entertainers may be obscure, but the cabaret has a reputation for discovering fresh new talent, and that attracts clientele, which increases the revenue from admission fees, cuisine and beverages. In return, Monsieur and other sponsors of new talent are given access to the special atmosphere and entertainment available in the inner club rooms, and the new talent is also invited to partake."

"So Julie works for peanuts, and in return gets comped along with M. Duval," Mandy said. "Just how special is the atmosphere and entertainment in the club section to make it worth her while?"

Philippe shrugged. "Different people seek different rewards. Perhaps the glamour of the atmosphere in the club is attractive to a young starlet. Also, she may meet someone inside who can provide other incentives."

"You said before that the club is for people of appétits libidineu," Mandy noted, frowning. "I'm not clear on the meaning of that phrase. What is it like in there?"

A few more musicians had mounted the stage and tuned their instruments, followed by a male vocalist with a mic. The small ensemble began playing, and people began rising to take the dance floor. Philippe had to talk louder to make himself understood.

"Please be aware that I have never experienced what is behind that door of Le Club Joie de Vivre," Philippe said. "However, when I was younger I was curious and did pay the price of admission at two smaller and less expensive club libertins." Mandy's look showed she was not familiar with that term either. Philippe suddenly looked a little awkward and hesitated before going on. "A club libertin is a place for people seeking a sexual experience," he said at last. "I was young, and had decided I wished to lose what remained of my innocence," he added, somewhat defensively.

Mandy suppressed a smile, finding it amusing that the normally articulate, sophisticated Philippe showed some difficulty with that explanation. Then what he said registered, and she felt a minor tinge of alarm.

"You mean that M. Duval has just taken Julie into a . . . a bordello?"

"No, the clubs are different from bordellos. They do not directly supply women, as did the maisons de tolerance of yesteryear, although they feature the same décor -- plush furnishings, tapestries in red and black, a visage both suggestive and theatrical. Some admit single persons, but elite ones such as this admit only couples who may not stay together but split up and find other people with whom to share their luxure.

"In other words, swingers frequent the clubs?" Mandy asked.

Philippe nodded. "There are also special nights for themed play acting where people wear masks and fantastic costumes for all types of fantasies. If people are masked or costumed they may not even know who they engage with. Some couples go to individual rooms, other people find groups where there may be several to a bed. There may be women with women, and, as I hear, men with men, although I did not see that in my two brief experiences at the clubs."

"Wow," Mandy said. "And I thought college parties were wild. These places might make Fraternity Row look tame. And you went twice," Mandy said, feigning shock. "Philippe, you are such a rogue."

Has he actually colored, she wondered? It was hard to tell under the red lights, but he appeared to wince.

"Please do not judge me harshly," Philippe said. "I was very young. In those two visits, I accomplished what I set out to, but decided I did not like the clubs and would pursue more traditional ways of accomplishing l'amour."

"And I bet you have excelled at those traditional ways also," Mandy said, with a coy look. Philippe laughed nervously but made no response. She was not helping his embarrassment. "So, if I understand correctly," she quickly added, "Julie may be having an affair with M. Duval as we speak, or she may be freelancing around the club looking for the masked man of her dreams."

"Possibly," he laughed. "Although she may not be doing l'amour sexuel at all, but just observing, meeting, and talking with people, taking her cocktail at the bar and letting eager male hopefuls compliment her music and replenish her glass at outrageous prices."

"You told me earlier that M. Duval asked you to make the reservation tonight."

"Yes, I contacted the club entertainment director," Philippe said, his face losing any trace of levity. "It is one of the tasks he delegates to me. Not one of my favorite tasks."

"Does he come here often with students?"

Philippe did not answer immediately. Was he concerned that she would condemn his complicity in the master's vices? Or perhaps he was wondering if he had said too much already, and that Mandy might convey it back to Duval. Either way, he seemed to be considering his words carefully.

"Monsieur has a grand appétit, and some students who are young and perhaps from the rural areas may be impressed by the club atmosphere and that a respected academic escorts them, and they may visit a room with him out of gratitude for a job entertaining," Philippe said at last. "Others, more sophisticated, may turn the experience to their favor, leaving Monsieur to hunt for himself while they look for other opportunities - perhaps la liaison with an agent who can find them more lucrative openings in theatrical or musical venues, or a well-off lawyer or businessman who may offer employment at higher compensation. I have heard of a few students who learned to hunt well enough that they saw no need to continue their formal education."

Mandy was silent as she considered that aspect. Her sister Samantha came to mind.

"In fairness, Monsieur is not alone in using his position to attain his désirs," Philippe continued. "Look around at the clientele here, and you will see more than a few young women accompanied by older men. They may be secretaries or clerks or waitresses perhaps. Many of them will go through that door this evening. Most will stay with their escorts, while others will exchange for new companions, perhaps even with the encouragement of their escorts. An older man may use a younger woman as his means to get inside the club and is then happy to exchange her for an older, more experienced woman of appétits libidineu. And this is not the only club libertin in Paris. There are many, enough to provide training and opportunities for numerous ladies seeking advantages."

They were silent for a moment. A waitress in a red and black body wrapper skirt asked if they wished for new glasses. Looking at Philippe, Mandy shook her head, and he told the waitress they were about to leave

"Thank you for your information and your insights, Philippe," she told him as they made their way out of the club. "I have some thinking to do about Monsieur's job offer."

"Only one more thing I would say on the subject," he added. "Monsieur can be very persuasive, and it is clear that he has the eyes for you as well as for Julie. But a talented lady should not think she must obey and be coerced to follow a course if it is against her good judgment. She could decline Monsieur's offer to perform, although that would make him unhappy. Perhaps she might agree to merely perform on the cabaret stage and enter the club with him but decline participation in activities that she finds distasteful. Coercion would not be tolerated by club management as it could bring repercussions from the authorities. And one other thing. There are numerous other bistros in the city where young talent would be welcomed to a performing job and find an appreciative audience, and nothing more than the song is expected of her."

Mandy thought that advice showed Philippe was honorable, and also a sign he had decided to trust her since M. Duval would probably consider it undercutting him.

They took the metro and public transit back to her residence. Philippe walked her to the door and thanked her for "a lovely evening," as she protested that she should be thanking him. He said he hoped they could continue the tour the following weekend, and she said she would like that. They were facing each other in close proximity. She extended her hand, feeling awkward as she did so. Did they shake hands in France? What if he thought she wanted him to kiss it? He smiled, taking her hand lightly, bestowed the polite la bise, without the lip touches of M. Duval, and nodded his head slightly before turning and walking briskly away.

Julie did not get back to their room until nearly 2 a.m. She felt her way around in the dark, apparently trying to be quiet, but Mandy had been sleeping lightly, and awoke, calling out her name. Julie then put on her low-wattage desk lamp. She still wore the elaborate gown she had performed in but looked weary rather than full of luxure.

"I enjoyed your performance on stage tonight," Mandy said. "So did the audience, judging by the hand you got." She had decided not to hide her presence there, but also not mention Philippe's role in it.

"You were there?" Julie's eyes widened.

"Yes, I was in the audience with a guide. M. Duval has said he may get me a gig there too, and I wanted to see the place."

"Did you . . . You did not come into the back?"

"No. However, I am curious about what it is like. I've heard some stories."

Julie shrugged. "There are many rich people with many exotic tastes."

"I want to ask you because we're friends," Mandy said, looking probably more serious than she wanted to. "Were you pressured to do anything with anyone that you were not happy about?"

"M. Duval was very attentive, and he is not young, but what he asked of me was nothing that I was not familiar with, and . . .Well, I will just say I did not have to spend the entire time with him," Julie said. She shrugged again. "And there are rewards. I receive €100 for a half-hour of song once a week, and free admission to the club, where food and the bar is free to me if no one should buy me anything, but that was not a problem this night."

"You seem tired," Mandy said.

"There was dancing and I met people who were glad to buy me drinks and tell me how good a singer I am. Also, I met Louis, an older man who will treat me to dinner and may get me a second job in another club," Julie said with a yawn. "So actually, I am content and hopeful. You and I both should have opportunities to look forward to."

* * *

"I've thought a lot about it, and I'm going to take the performance offer," Mandy said. "If I don't, I'll always wonder if I let myself be scared away by the size and sophistication of the crowd. I've only played for friends and small audiences. If I'm going to fall flat on my face, it's better to find it out now. And besides, I admit I'm curious about what goes on behind that guarded door. This will probably be the only chance I'll have to find out. Julie tells me she didn't feel pressured to do anything she did not want to."

They were seated at a small table in the student cafe, sipping table wine. When she told him her decision, Philippe's face took on a sober expression. He was silent for a moment.

"I admit we are only recent acquaintances, but I feel that I know you somewhat," he said at last, "and I do not think the club will be enjoyable for you. You are a lady of greater depth, able to take pleasure from higher things. Monsieur would not like to hear me discourage you from his intent, but in conscience, I must."

She found his concern endearing and reached out across the table to touch his hand before realizing the gesture could be misinterpreted. "Thank you so much, and please don't think I am after 'libertin pleasure' with Monsieur or anyone else in the club. I intend just to sing, and only take a look inside to satisfy my curiosity. After all, curiosity drove you to see the back rooms of those clubs." She added, with a sly smile, "And unlike you, I don't intend to do anything but observe."

"Ah, la voyeur." There was a twinkle in his eye, even as he looked slightly abashed. "Okay, go, learn about life. I suppose Monsieur was pleased when you told him you would accompany him to Le Joie de Vivre. But tell me, you do know where to kick a man if need be?"

Mandy laughed. "Julie didn't find that necessary, but oui, M. Duval did seem happy and oui, I do know where to kick or apply a knee, if need be. Monsieur said this afternoon he likes my choice of songs, and even provided me with appropriate attire - red high heels and a scarlet evening gown, low cut, high hemline - 'la fantaisie et le glamour to sell your music,' he said. He had me go behind that screen he keeps in the corner to try it on. When I came out, he said something that sounded like, 'Une touche de parfum et vous voilà fin prêts à séduire.' Does that mean what I think it does?"

"A touch of fragrance and you're ready to seduce," Philippe said, unsmiling. "Monsieur is hopeful. Remember, you do not have to do anything you do not want to, and be sure to practice your kick ahead of time."

"Okay," she laughed. "Now you better get out of here before someone overhears you and word gets back to the headmaster that you're a moralist. Also, I have to go change into my seductress costume."

M. Duval beamed his full smile and chatted non-stop while driving. Mandy felt her nerves growing as they entered the cabaret, which was as busy as it was the other night on Philippe's tour. As they made their way to a table near the stage, M. Duval greeted a few patrons by name, kissed a few cheeks, and introduced Mandy as "my latest discovery." She felt herself receiving positive appraising glances from les hommes along with grudging admiration from les femmes. Soon a signal came that she was on.