The Photograph

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Storm62
Storm62
355 Followers

"All I know is when she came in she went upstairs with a paper bag, and she was positively beaming when she came back down."

I furrowed my brow.

"I wish she'd confide in me a bit more at times. All right Alan thanks. I'll just have to wait until she calls me I suppose."

-----

I'd almost finished for the day when I got Jessica's call. "Dave?"

"Hello Jess. I've been waiting for you to ring."

"Have you finished yet?"

"Just doing the vehicle checks, then I'll be on my way home. Are you going to let me in on the mysteries?"

"Mysteries?"

"Alan said he couldn't tell me why you'd taken him to the solicitors."

"Oh that. Well, I decided to make him a partner. It'll help keep the business going."

"Why would it need help?"

"Well, in the not too distant future, I'm not going to be able to be there."

"Why's that?"

She seemed to delight in talking in riddles at times.

"It's why I went to the doctor, I needed to confirm something."

"Jess, stop dragging it out. Just tell me what's wrong."

"Oh, there's nothing wrong. I'm going to be a mom."

I was almost struck dumb.

"How did that happen?"

"Don't be silly. I know you're not that naïve from all that porn I found on your computer."

"Sorry, stupid statement. And how long are you going to keep dragging that up?"

"Depends how long you keep making stupid remarks I suppose. Is there someone with you? I can hear them in the background."

"Yeah, Steve is."

"What's he saying?"

"Wants to know what's going on."

"Well tell him then."

I turned and called out to my workmate.

"Steve, I'm going to be a dad."

"Does Jessica know?"

"Very funny." I walked away a little. "Jess, I'll be on my way home in an hour. I'll wait for you to tell me everything when you get in."

-----

It was after six when Jessica came in.

"You madam! Why didn't you say something? Here, sit down, put your feet up. I'll make some coffee." I was fussing and I knew it, but it was something I couldn't help.

"Well I wasn't sure." She replied as she sat down. "And you don't have to treat me like an invalid." A short pause. "Well, not yet anyway."

"Just getting some practice in. What are we going to name him?"

"Dave, you're getting ahead of yourself a bit. And it may be a girl just as easily."

I grinned.

"Sorry, and I honestly don't care if it's a boy or a girl as long as you're both fine. Will it be all right? You're a bit older than most first time mothers." I suddenly realised that hadn't sounded quite right.

"I don't know whether to be insulted or touched by that remark." She smiled.

"Sorry. Again."

"Good, now come and kiss me."

"Is it safe?"

"Don't be silly. Now come here."

"Just keep that knee uncocked."

"Fool!"

-----

It was a little bit tense in the delivery room. I was stood next to Jessica as she strained, breathing hard.

"Grip my hand Jess. You're nearly there."

"You swine! This is all your fault. Aaahh!" She was sweating quite a bit. I was too. Childbirth was obviously as difficult as I had been led to believe.

"Keep going Jessie." I said soothingly.

"If I could get my knee at you, you'd be feeling this pain too!" She clenched my hand harder.

I winced a little.

"You're nearly breaking my hand as it is Jessica."

"Good! Aaaaaagghh!!"

The doctor and the midwife looked up. The midwife nodded at me.

"Jess, Jessie! It's coming! I can see its head. One more push."

"Aarrrggh!" With a sudden rush, the baby was born.

"Congratulations! It's a girl." The doctor said.

"Jess, Jess! She's beautiful. She looks like you." I kissed her sweating brow. "You've made me happier than ever."

The midwife handed the bawling child to Jess, resting her next to her head.

"Here you are Jessica; she's going to be a strong one."

Jessie looked at the tiny baby.

"Thank you nurse. She is all right isn't she? We were worried that I might be a bit old."

"You are both fine." The nurse said, patting Jess's hand.

I had been staring at the little girl in wonderment.

"She has your eyes Jessie. To a tee." It was true; looking at the two of them I could see so much of my beloved wife in the tiny mite. "Can... can I hold her please?" I asked tentatively. The baby was handed to me. I cradled her like she was the most precious thing in the world, which she was; scared that she'd break if I held her too tightly, worried that she'd slip if I didn't hold her close. I looked down into that sweet little face, totally unaware of any troubles, and fell in love. Gingerly I touched her nose with my finger, then her mouth. Her eyes looked straight at me and her hands converged on my finger, attempting to catch it. "She's so beautiful. I can't get over how small she is. She's holding my finger look!" I was totally enamoured at once. A daughter, a beautiful daughter.

"Don't get so excited Dave. Anyway, she needs a name remember? All you came up with was boys' names."

"I did? Sorry. How about Charlotte? She looks like a Charlotte."

"Charlotte? That's a nice name, okay." Jessica lay back, taking the newly-named Charlotte from me.

"Doctor? Jess? Can I take a few pictures? Will it be all right?" The doctor nodded. Jessie sighed.

"If you must Dave." She smiled, a thought coming to her. "The amount of pictures you're likely to take, I suspect her first words will be 'cheese'." Charlotte's arms and legs were waving as if to some unheard tune, gurgling and chuckling to herself. That was the first of many photographs of Charlotte.

-----

I was taking another picture of my darling Charlotte sitting out in the garden while Jessica prepared her afternoon drink, talking to her as I always did, when I heard her say 'Dada'. I stopped.

"What was that Lottie? Say it again for daddy." She did. "Jess! Jessie!! Come quick! She said 'Dada' twice!"

Jess ambled out, the bottle in her hand.

"Again?" She said wearily. "That's the third time this weekend you've claimed she's been talking. She is barely ten months old you know."

I ignored the friendly jibe. It was true I kept thinking I heard little Charlotte say a word, but this time I was sure.

"Say it again Lottie, say it for mommy too." Nothing. I knelt next to the toddler. "Please Charlotte; your mother thinks I'm going potty. Say it for daddy."

She reached out her little hand and tried to grab me.

"Dada."

Jessica's amused smile froze. She knelt down as well.

"Dada."

"See! I told you Jess." I was grinning massively. I felt so proud.

"Well, I have to admit that did sound like 'Dada'. Pity, I was hoping her first words would be 'Mama'."

"I'm sorry Jess. Perhaps it's because I've been coaching her. Well, nagging her really."

"You don't think I haven't?"

"Of course not, I didn't mean it like that."

She kissed me.

"I know." She grinned at me. "And I did say her first word would be 'cheese' anyway." Charlotte seemed oblivious to our pride, she just sat and grinned.

-----

I was a little concerned. I felt Charlotte should be trying to walk by now, but she seemed content to crawl or shuffle on her bottom. Jessica said it was my fault; I kept picking her up, so I'd decided to try and encourage her. I stood her on my feet, holding her hands to balance her, and shuffled forward. The problem was, she enjoyed that so much she wouldn't try herself. All I'd done was invent a new game for her. Jess had just sighed and told me to let her be; she'd walk when she wanted to, when she wanted something. I'd nodded, but knew that I wouldn't be the first one to see this happen. Jess had been taking Lottie to the studio with her for seven or eight months, where her receptionist Tracey or Alan the other photographer could keep an eye on her if Jessie herself was busy. With Lottie getting so adventurous now, I knew that exploring the studio would be the inspiration she needed to take her first steps. She'd explored our house already with me helping her, so I knew it was my own fault.

-----

My phone rang while I was at work driving so I was forced to ignore it for a moment. As soon as I pulled up I pulled out the mobile and checked the missed call. I groaned when I saw it was from Jessica, suddenly sure that Lottie had been spotted walking. I called back.

"Jess? Sorry I couldn't answer. What's up?"

"Charlotte!"

"What?"

"Charlotte's been standing up!"

"And?"

"And nothing. She's never stood up on her own before has she?"

"No." I conceded. "Except in her play pen, holding the bars." I had a thought. "Did you get a picture?"

"Of course." Jessie sighed. "Another one for the ever-growing file on your computer."

"Of course." I was pleased; there was still a chance I could be there when she first walked.

-----

I walked into the studio through the front door. Tracey, the receptionist, looked up.

"Hello Dave, come to collect Charlotte?"

"Hello Trace. Yeah, I've come for the princess. Is the boss in?"

"She's out back; printing off someone's wedding pictures. The princess is with her."

"She's been standing up on her own?"

"Oh yes." She smiled. "She looked so proud of herself."

"But no steps?"

"Not while anyone was looking."

I grinned.

"That's my girl, waiting for her dad."

Jess appeared in the doorway, Charlotte held in the crook of her arm.

"And why would she be doing that?" She asked, a wry smile at my enthusiasm. "She loves her mommy too."

"Because she's a little girl who knows that the rewards will be greater from her daddy. And of course she loves her mummy, and she's not the only one." I kissed them both. "Ready to come home Lottie?" The little girl held out her arms as I took her from Jessie.

"You spoil her you know?"

"And the three of you don't?" Tracey looked away guiltily and Jess went red. I smirked. "What time will you be home tonight love?" I asked as Lottie settled on my hip, trying to pull on my ear.

"I might be a bit late; I've got to get the Johnson's wedding album ready for tomorrow." She sighed.

"Well don't be too late; Charlotte and I might have a surprise for you."

"Exactly what are you planning?"

"Just a little bribery and encouragement. See you later. Wave to mommy Lottie."

-----

I set Charlotte down in the middle of the front room.

"Does daddy's girl want a biscuit?"

"Dada. Bikkit."

"All right then. Come and get it." I produced a digestive and held it up for her to see. She crawled over, but found she couldn't reach where I was holding it. She pulled herself up me and stood on her feet, wavering slightly. Carefully, so as not to disturb her balance, I backed away a pace or so, still offering her the biscuit. Then, tentatively, what I'd been hoping for happened. She took a few steps and grasped hold of the digestive! "Good girl!" I scooped her up and hugged her. She gurgled happily and began to suck on the crumbly biscuit. "Can you do it again for Mommy when she gets home?"

"Mama." She said, waving her hands, throwing crumbs everywhere.

-----

I was beginning to think I might have to put Charlotte to bed when Jessica came in.

"Okay Jess. Sit down and I'll get you a coffee."

"All right, I'm not one to turn down a drink, but why is Charlotte not in bed."

"Because we have something to show you." I called out from the kitchen.

"If she's cranky tomorrow, you'll be in trouble." Jess warned.

"Believe me Jessie, this is worth it." I said, bringing her coffee in on a tray with a couple of digestives.

"What's this?"

"It's a biscuit Jess."

"I know that, but I don't have biscuits with my coffee this late."

"I never said it was for you. Offer it to Lottie."

A light dawned in my wife's eye.

"That sort of bribery eh?"

"Just do it Jess."

She sighed and held out the biscuit towards Lottie.

"Charlotte, want a biscuit?" This time I had got my camera out and was snapping the toddler in action for the collection.

"Bikkit!" Lottie pulled herself up onto her feet and teetered over to her mother, grasping the digestive before plonking herself down on her bottom and sucking on the biscuit.

"Oh you beautiful girl!" Jess exclaimed, picking up the surprised Charlotte and kissing her. "And you, you sneaky Daddy you." She kissed me too.

"Your idea Jessie. You said all she needed was to want something badly enough and she'd do it." Lottie was waving her hand again, showering her mom with crumbs from the biscuit. Jessica gave me a look that said 'Couldn't you have found a more solid bribe?' I scurried off to find the vacuum cleaner.

-----

"Daddy, I don't want to go." Charlotte wailed.

"Why not? You enjoyed Nursery School didn't you? This will be like that."

"But it's EVERY day daddy. I'll hardly ever see you or mommy."

"Good job too!" Jessie said. Charlotte and I both looked at her in surprise. "She needs to learn to be herself, not just our child Dave." I nodded slowly. I understood the theory, but it was still difficult. "Just go and check with the Head that our arrangements to pick Lottie up are fine, while I have a word with Miss Clever here." Sighing, I walked over to the Head Teacher who nodded at me benevolently.

"Problems?" She asked.

"Nothing that her mom won't sort out. Jess is so much better with the serious talking; I tend to give in to Lottie too easily."

She smiled and patted me on the shoulder.

"Don't worry; you're not the only one. Lots of dads are the same, especially with daughters. Moms are much more practical."

I brightened up.

"And I thought it was just me." We grinned at each other. "Anyway, the reason I came over was to check it was all right to keep Charlotte back until one of us turns up to fetch her. It'll usually be me, but occasionally I get delayed. If it looks like I'll be late, I'll call. If I think I won't make it by quarter past, Jess will come and fetch her. Is that all right?"

"Don't worry, there are several after school clubs she can get involved in until half past three."

"Thank you. It'll never be later than that, I assure you, even if I have to bring the Dustcart over!" We grinned at each other again.

"It looks like your other half has worked her magic." The Head said, nodding in the direction of my two lovelies. I nodded and walked back.

"Sorted?" I asked them. Jess nodded and Charlotte looked at me shamefaced.

"I'm sorry Daddy; I didn't mean to make you worry."

"I'll always worry about you princess." I kissed her head. "Now go on in and I'll pick you up at three." She trotted off, waving.

Jessica looked at me and sighed.

"What are you like? You know she'll enjoy it, but you just have to worry don't you?"

"Of course I worry." I smiled and kissed her. "I worry about you too."

"You'll never change will you?"

"I hope not."

"Me too."

-----

I was a bit nervous waiting outside the school. I felt so out of place amongst all the young mothers. I was old enough to be the father of most of them. They were curious about me, but started to talk to me when they realised I was collecting my child the same as they were. The children came pouring out of the doors at three. Charlotte came bouncing up to me pulling another little girl with her.

"Daddy, this is Maria. She's my new bestest friend!"

I smiled at her zeal.

"Pleased to meet you Maria."

"Hello sir." She said shyly.

"We played football and beat the boys." Lottie spoke excitedly. "Maria was brill. She scored our goal!"

"I learnt how to play with my brothers." The little girl said, blushing at Lottie's enthusiasm. "I must go, my mommy is waiting. See you tomorrow Lottie." She left with a wave.

"Oh, you want to come back tomorrow now?" I teased.

"I was being silly this morning daddy. I was worried that I wouldn't fit in." Charlotte looked up with her eyes shining with enjoyment.

I leant down and kissed her.

"That's my fault princess. You get that from me. You should be more like your mother is now."

"She doesn't worry?"

"She worries, especially about us, but she doesn't let it get in the way like we do." I took her hand and we walked towards the car. "Now then, tell me about what you've been doing apart from playing football."

-----

I was checking my camera equipment before the airshow the next day when Charlotte came up behind me. She spoke in her special 'pleading' voice.

"Daddy, can I come with you tomorrow?"

I stopped what I was doing, turned around and looked at her. She meant it; there was a serious look on her face.

"Of course you can sweetie. I never asked because I didn't think you were interested."

"Well, if I don't go I won't find out, will I?"

"That's a good point sweetheart."

"And I am seven now you know."

"I remember how old you are."

"And what about mommy? We can't leave her on her own."

"She might actually enjoy that." I grinned. "But let's go and ask her shall we?" She took me by the hand and led me into the kitchen where Jessica was ironing. I had offered to do it, but she'd laughed and said that Charlotte's school clothes needed to be done properly. "Jess?" She looked up. "Lottie has something to ask you."

"Yes love? What is it?"

"Well mommy, we were wondering if you wanted to come to the airshow with us."

"Oh, you finally asked daddy did you? And he said yes?"

"I did, but I don't want to leave you here alone. So, will you come with us mommy?"

"Actually, yes. It would make a nice change. It's been a while since I photographed some aeroplanes."

"I didn't know you liked to take pictures of planes Jess." I said.

"Well I am a professional photographer who used to be in the RAF."

"I keep forgetting that bit. All right then, we'll start out early tomorrow morning then."

"Good idea. I'll need to pop into the shop on the way and pick up a few things." As I nodded I caught a glimpse of Charlotte's face. She was looking thoughtful. Jess saw the look too and imperceptibly shook her head. Leave it for now, I thought. Jessie knows something I don't.

-----

As I pulled up outside Jessie's studio and she opened the car door Charlotte spoke from the back seat.

"I wish I had a camera too."

I turned around and looked into her serious face.

"Why's that princess?"

"Well, you and mommy will be taking pictures and I'd like to as well. I know what to do; I've watched mommy and Alan."

"You've left it a bit late to mention this darling; I might have been able to find my little camera."

"Oh." The crestfallen look on her face nearly broke my heart.

"I'll let you borrow mine while we're there. With your own memory card, so you'll know which pictures are yours, how's that?"

She perked up a bit.

"Thank you daddy, that will be nice."

Jessica had returned with her camera bag and put it in the back with the picnic gear. She slipped back into the car and smiled.

"Okay, I've got everything I think." She turned around and spoke to Lottie. "You all right sweetie?"

"Daddy says I can take some pictures with his camera!"

"He did? Well, that'll be nice." She looked at me and gave me a grin that I recognised. She was up to something! I gave her a questioning look but she ignored me. "Let's go then, off to the airshow."

-----

The car park was almost half full even though the gates had only just opened. I turned off the engine and looked at the two glowing faces in the car with me.

"Before we have a look around I suggest we get the chairs and go and stake out a spot. I know a good place."

"I should hope so; you've been coming here for years." Jess said, getting out. "Come on then poppet. Grab your seat and we'll follow daddy."

"What about the cameras?" The little girl asked.

"We'll pick them up after we've got our spot." I smiled at her earnest look; she so wanted to take some pictures. "Don't worry; you'll get your chance."

It didn't take long to put up the chairs and peg the windbreak around them so we were soon back at the car. Charlotte waited impatiently as Jess and I fiddled with our cameras and lenses. Jessie smiled at me and pulled a second camera from her bag.

Storm62
Storm62
355 Followers