The Porch Wolf Ch. 01-10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I haven't been on a snowmobile in years," Liv said. "Neither of us own the gear for it."

"That will be my problem," I replied. "Would Friday be all right? I can't cook, but I could pick you up at eleven and take you to lunch in town, then out to my property for the afternoon. I will answer all of your questions then."

"Not tonight?" Natalie looked disappointed.

"Friday, I will explain everything if that is all right."

The two looked at each other, then Liv nodded to me. "I will see you Friday at eleven," she said.

"You kids have fun, I'm too old to be on a snowmobile," Natalie said.

I couldn't stay around, not with the thoughts bouncing around in my head. "I must be going," I said. "Thank you for a lovely evening." It took twenty more minutes to complete the Minnesota Long Goodbye, and I ended up taking a plate of leftovers and some pie with me, but I made it home by seven.

I had to make some phone calls before this situation blew up.

Ch. 6

I didn't even wait until I was back on the main road before I made my call.

It wasn't a call to my younger brother, Ivan. It was to the parents of my late wife, the only ones who talked to me after I was exiled from my Pack. Larry and Donna Winters had retired as Alphas of the Winona Pack ten years ago, turning it over to their oldest son. They practically lived with me as they watched their daughter fade away from cancer that ravaged her body. I called his cell. "Larry, it's Leo. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you, son. What's going on? You haven't called in months."

"I know. I found a reason to start going through some of Catherine's things; I've been donating them to charity and helping people. It's time to let go."

"It's about time. I'm happy you've found the strength to tackle it at last." I knew the decline of my wolf and my health had been watched by them, and that was one of the reasons I stopped meeting them in person. I couldn't take the pain in their eyes as they saw what was happening to me. "Do you need our help?"

"I do, but not in that," I said. "I would like to meet with you and go over a few things. I found something in my travels I didn't ever expect to find, and I don't know all the implications of it."

"What was it," Larry said.

"I'd rather explain in person. I'll bring along Catherine's jewelry box; Donna can look through it and take back any family heirlooms."

He covered the phone for a few minutes. "We'll be in Red Wing tomorrow to meet some friends for lunch at the St. James. Why don't you meet us at ten at the Caribou Coffee there? We can grab one of the rooms they use for meetings." I loved that place, it was built into a historical building and was unlike any other store in the franchise.

"That sounds perfect," I said. "Thank you."

The phone got handed over, and Donna picked up. "Leo? This reason you mentioned; have you found someone? Are you finally ready to move on?"

"I found someone, but not to replace Catherine in my life. That hole in my heart will never be filled," I said.

"She wanted you to live a full life, Leo. It's all right to find love again if the right woman comes along."

"I know that in my head, Mom, but my heart is still broken. Is it enough for my wolf to find a reason to keep living?"

"That Alpha... I still can't look at the Welch Pack Alpha pair without wanting to smack the shit out of them. They should have been the ones to help you through your grief, not rip you from everyone you loved."

"Water under the bridge, Mom. I'm still here. We'll talk tomorrow." I hung up and continued the drive, parking in the garage. I passed the cases of Jack Daniels by the door, reaching for one out of habit. I looked at the bottle and put it back. I'd told my mother-in-law I was bringing jewelry to look at, and I needed to get that ready. It also wouldn't help to show up at ten in the morning smelling of whiskey.

I grabbed a Coke out of the fridge and brought it into the bedroom. She had a jewelry case in her dressing area, with four drawers and hooks for her necklaces to hang. Werewolves had slightly different tastes in jewelry due to our shifting. Most didn't wear many rings other than wedding rings, as the paws wouldn't hold them after a shift. Wedding rings could be quickly removed and left with clothing, or attached to a clip on a necklace. The same issue arose during the shift with bracelets and watches.

Necklaces were like collars and could survive the shift, provided they were loose enough around the neck for the extra size and fur. A 'choker' style necklace would do just that to your wolf. Earrings survived the shift just fine, and some of the younger wolves had piercings. If we knew we were going to shift, we'd take it all off. The women, especially those working and interacting with humans, wore jewelry to blend in.

I had it easy. I never wore a watch, and I only had my wedding band. I'd pull that off and put it in a pocket before shifting.

I opened the first drawer, which was filled with pins and brooches. Jewelry on our clothes worked better than on our bodies, and Catherine had accumulated quite a few of them. Some had hidden meanings; the old mill, with blue gems forming the river and rubies the wheel, was a symbol of the Welch Pack. I started sorting them, leaving the ones I had purchased for her, and setting the others aside on the counter. If I didn't remember, I set it aside.

When I was done an hour later, I went back to the kitchen and grabbed a bunch of ziplock bags. The snack-sized bags worked well for the smaller stuff; I used a bread tie to hook all the necklaces together before placing them in a quart-sized bag. I put the small bags into a gallon-sized bag, and that into a shopping bag with a zippered top.

The next morning, I drove into Red Wing and got to Caribou well before ten. I ordered a muffin and a large coffee, and arranged for a small room we could use upstairs. Larry and Donna arrived with their coffees just before ten. "Leo," Donna said with a smile as I stood up. "You look... better."

I kissed her cheek, then shook Larry's hand. "I've made some changes in my life," I said. "Please, sit. I'll explain while you sort through that stuff. Anything you want for you or your daughters just set to the side." I passed the bag to Donna, who laid the bags on the table.

"Who is she, Leo?" Larry didn't mess around. Only a female could cause my wolf to return.

"In my travels, I met a child. Almost five years old, living with her human mother. She's a werewolf, Larry, and she has the Alpha mantle on her."

The resulting spit-take and coughing fit took a minute to recover from and clean up. I was glad all the jewelry was in bags. "Let me get this straight, Leo," Donna said as she cleaned coffee off the table. "There's a girl out there with humans, and she's the firstborn of an Alpha."

"There's no mistake on either one," I said.

"You have to tell her father immediately," Larry said. "That's his first-born, and you know how dangerous it is to have a pup being raised away from other wolves and an Alpha. She could shift at any time, and do it among humans."

"I can't tell her father," I replied. "The father cheated on his mate with the human mother, leaving her pregnant, and offered to pay for an abortion. She didn't accept, obviously."

"He's going to figure it out," Donna said. "The child is four, so this happened around 2014?" I nodded. "He's a current Alpha?"

"He is."

"Oh, his wife is going to serve up his nuts with barbecue sauce and cornbread," Donna said. "Do they have children?"

I nodded. "Two."

She just shook her head sadly. "Then they already know his child is out there somewhere. The Alpha mantle goes to the firstborn child 95% of the time, male or female. In every instance where the firstborn does not get it, the second does. Since the father can only pass the mantle to one of his children, they have to know there is another out there."

Larry leaned forward. "The child is in great danger, Leo. This only goes one of three ways. One, the father claims the child, allows her to grow with his family in the Pack, and turns the Pack over to her when they retire."

I snorted. "Yeah, like the Luna is going to let the bastard daughter take her family's Pack," I said.

"He is Alpha of a Pack where he mated into the position? It wasn't his Alpha mantle, but hers that he passed on?"

"Correct. The father mated the only daughter of an Alpha."

Larry shook his head. "You probably didn't pay attention to this, since you were born with the Alpha mantle, but it's different when the Alpha mantle goes to a female. When she mates, the Alpha mantle extends to him too. The firstborn of either will get it. Now, obviously, their child will not be a problem, but if he knocks up another wolf first, the first-born gets it. I suppose if they found the girl, they could let her inherit the pack, but I wouldn't count on it. The mantle will stay with this child unless she is killed. If that happens, and the father is Alpha, and still in power, the mantle would shift to the second-born child."

"The one that is HER son or daughter," Donna added. "The one who is supposed to inherit the Pack."

"Given the choice, they will kill her in a heartbeat," I said. "That's the danger she is in if they find her."

"And her mother might be killed as well, to cover the whole sordid affair up in werewolf and human worlds," Donna said. "The longer this goes on, the more pressure there will be to eliminate her. The lack of a mantle can't be hidden from the Pack, and they will talk. If it gets out, it will show weakness to other Alphas. Then there is the risk to the Pack if something happens to their current Alphas. Your parents are an example of how quickly things can change, Leo. If this Alpha pair died today, their Pack would have no true Alpha heir. It would be like the Welch Pack now; a Beta playing Alpha, but always vulnerable to takeover."

"Your own Beta never would have defeated you if your wolf hadn't given up," Larry said. "An Alpha wolf with the Mantle doesn't lose to a Beta unless he wants to."

"You know what happened, Dad."

"I do. It was a mistake, but it's done now. The question is what to do with this girl. Since you didn't call the father and you're asking our advice, I assume you want to help her."

"It's like I NEED to help her, Larry. Our wolves, they've bonded. Four years of fading away, and suddenly my wolf perks up and claims her as his own pup."

"You're shitting me," he said.

"Nope. At first, I didn't know what to think. When I looked into her eyes, her wolf submitted to mine. 'MY PUP, MY PACK,' is what he told me. So, yeah, I need to help her."

Donna was shaking her head. "That's crazy. I've heard of that happening with a mate, but never with a pup."

"She's not a second-chance mate; it's not that at all. My wolf sees her as his daughter." My human side did too; she needed protection, and I wanted to be there to protect her.

"What about the human mother," Donna asked. "Is it possible she is your mate?"

"She's less than half my age, Mom, and I've never seen her that way. My wolf is not interested in her, and I'm not interested in anyone else."

She put her hand over mine. "This is an answer to my prayers, then. Not the answer I thought I would get, but an answer none the less." I raised an eyebrow at her. "I've been praying for a woman to come along and rescue you and your wolf from the trail to death you've been walking. This girl will be your salvation, Leo. Love and protect her with all that you are, and who knows? Maybe someday you'll find a woman to run at your side again."

"No woman wants a fifty-one-year-old former Alpha who's been banished," I said.

"I see an Alpha and his heir, ready to make their own Pack a reality," she responded. "Keep her hidden; if a Pack wolf smells her and word gets out, either she's killed, or someone force mates her to bring the Alpha mantle into a Pack that doesn't have one."

"Option three," I said as I shook my head.

Larry looked me in the eyes, his wolf staring mine down. "There is an Option Four, where she becomes Alpha of the Pack she chooses. If you don't want to be Alpha to a Pack, prepare her to run her own. Train her to be a good Alpha. It's her birthright, Leo."

"What about her family? Her human family?"

"I can't tell you what to do there, son. You know the rules. You also know the risks of a werewolf child among humans. They are helpless and clueless against the danger she is in, just because she exists. If you can't remove them from the situation, you'll have to convince them to let you help."

I took a sip of my coffee as I thought, the temperature now low enough to drink. "I'll just have to find a way to convince Liv."

Donna had only taken a few pieces out, and she returned the rest to me. "Your daughter should inherit Catherine's jewelry," she said. "We have to leave, but we're a phone call away, Leo." We stood up, and she kissed my cheek. "You and your wolf are going to live and love again. I can feel it."

I watched them walk out and sat back to think. I had to be close, and for that, Liv and Natalie needed to trust me.

Trust isn't easy to establish or maintain.

I was going to have to show them.

Ch. 7

I arrived at Liv's house at eleven in the morning on Friday. "Unky LEO!" Vicki raced at the door, reaching up for me while I was still walking up the sidewalk.

"Where is your jacket, young lady?"

"In dere," she said. "Sharks! Unky Leo, we saw sharks!"

I stepped inside the door, where Liv was waiting with Vicki's jacket. "She didn't want to wait, so we went to SeaLife yesterday when they opened. I had to drag her out of there," she said with a laugh.

"HUUUUUGE sharks, Unky Leo! Ovah my head!"

"Wow, it sounds like you had fun," I said. "Are you ready to have fun today?" She nodded as Mom zipped her jacket up. I looked around and didn't see Natalie. "Is your grandmother coming?"

"No, she's not up for it."

I led them out to my truck, where I'd purchased a booster seat for Vicki that I installed in back. "Snowmobiling is fun, but you have to have the right equipment or you freeze. We're going to get lunch, and then we'll go shopping."

"You don't have to buy stuff, Leo," Liv started to say.

"I'm hoping this will be something you want to do again, and I don't compromise on safety. Now, do you two like chicken strips?" They did, so we drove to Raising Cane's in Apple Valley and ate lunch before heading to Lakeville and the power sports dealers. It took almost an hour to get both of them set up with snowmobile gear and helmets before we were heading back east to my home.

The garage had radiant floor heat installed, so as soon as I parked, we were able to get out and start dressing in their equipment. I'd purchased matching suits for them, in black and hot pink with the Polaris logo. Snowmobile pants when on first, and I helped them adjust the straps over their shoulders as they extended well above their waists. I held open Vicki's new boots as she put her feet into them, then zipped them up and pulled the pant legs down over them. The jackets went on next, the racing neck tight, then the helmets. It took a while to get everything adjusted, but once we had it, they would go on a lot faster. Last on was the gloves. I took a photo with my phone of them in their matching Polaris-logo suits; they looked amazing. I quickly pulled my gear on, then opened the garage door in front of the snowmobile.

Vicki was bouncing as I brought the big sled out and started it up. It was a snug fit on the long seat, with Liv behind me, and Vicki in front, but I didn't mind a bit. Since Vicki had never been on one, I started slow. The little girl wasn't impressed as we puttered around my land. "Faster, Unky Leo! Faster!"

"We have to go to the trails then," I said. "I want you to hang on, and lean the way I do," I said as I went out to the road. We had to drive along the ditch until I could join the trails that cut across miles of open farmland. Going a little faster, they liked that and the motion of going up and down the slope as I avoided power poles and drove over driveways. We caught up to a trail crossing a mile down the road. Turning on to it, there was almost a mile of flat farmland ahead of us with a fifty-mile-an-hour speed limit. "Hang on," I said. I opened up the throttle, and both girls started to scream as the engine accelerated us down the trail.

I immediately slowed to a stop, thinking I'd scared them. I was wrong. Vicki turned in the seat and looked at me with her gloves on her hips. "No! We go FASTER, Unky Leo!"

I turned around to check with Liv, who was laughing. "You heard the girl," she said. "We feel the need..."

"THE NEED FOR SPEED," I finished as I turned back and gunned the throttle. I don't know who had more fun on the trails, but it was the most fun I'd had in years. We stayed out for another hour before the sunset, and by the time we got home, it was completely dark. I'd scheduled a pizza delivery for six, and we pulled into the garage at five-forty.

Vicki gave me a big thank-you hug after I helped her get her helmet off. "Go again? I want to go AGAIN!"

"Another day," I said. "I'm hungry, and dinner will be here soon. Put your helmet on that shelf, then I'll help you with the rest of your stuff." Liv helped her with the helmet, then we hung up the suits and put the boots and gloves on a dryer. "You can take the gear home if you want," I said.

"I think she'll want to ride again," Liv said as Vicki agreed. "You have a beautiful home," Liv said as she looked around the big kitchen and the open main floor plan.

"Catherine and I built it expecting we'd have a big family, but it didn't happen that way," I said. "It's more than I need, but I can't sell it because she was so much a part of building it. It feels like a museum sometimes."

She looked at a photo on the wall of Catherine and me on our wedding day. "She was beautiful," Liv said.

"Inside and out, the best person I've ever known. We had twenty-five great years together," I said. I heard the driveway motion alarm and looked out to see the driver was here. Liv and Vicki set the table while I took care of the driver, then we had our pizzas. Liv and I both knew that after dinner, we were going to talk, and both of us were afraid of what might be said. You could tell how nervous we were by how we picked at our food while Vicki inhaled piece after piece.

I'd promised to explain everything today, and so far, I hadn't told them a thing. I was praying that Liv would listen long enough for me to explain everything. I asked her to help Vicki wash up, then meet me in the living room. I was hoping that being away from knives would give me the advantage.

I went back to my bedroom and stripped, pulling on a terrycloth robe. When I came out, the two were sitting on the couch. Liv's eyes got wide when she saw what I was wearing, and I know she was wondering if she'd made a mistake in coming here. I sat down in a chair across from them. "Vicki, have you been talking with that voice in your head," I asked.

"Uh-huh. She likes you," she said.

"What does she tell you about me?"

"Twust you. Unky is like us, he will help."

Liv had wide eyes and looked ready to snatch her up and run all the way home. "Just relax, Liv. I'm not going to hurt either of you, but I told you I would explain things to you. The explanation isn't something I can just do with words. I have to show you."

"Show me what? Why are you in a bathrobe?"

"You might be frightened, you might even scream, but know that nothing that happens here tonight will hurt you. I promise you that you are both safe here in my home." I stood up, pulling my arms out of the bathrobe before getting on my hands and knees in front of the couch. Liv's mouth was open as I let the robe hung down, still covering me, then I shifted.