The Pride of a Slave

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

**********

I stood in my room, looking at it stunned, it was bigger than my entire house had been. The bed was large and had white gossamer curtains around it, allowing one to hide the bed from view.

I started to protest but Dimitri shook his head, "Before you start complaining Sera, there are smaller rooms for the servants and I am sure that you would be more comfortable there. However, I thought you would want this room because it was the same room your mother used when she lived with us. You always slept in the nursery so I assumed you wouldn't remember it."

I got a little choked up when he said this and he was right, I didn't remember it but I felt a little better knowing I was in the same room my mother had spent her night in, sleeping as she changed the future for her daughter and herself by simply being the amazing woman she was.

Dimitri placed my bags on the floor next to the door just as Ryder came in looking grumpy but no worse for the wear, "Shown her the closet and all yet?"

"No." Dimitri shook his head and Ryder leaned against the door frame.

"Okay, well Sera, basically the University has a dress code. Your normal clothes just wouldn't make the cut. Its nothing personal against the lower class humans, but its simply the fact that they believe finer clothing shows that the student care about their appearance."

Dimitri nodded at Ryder's statement, "It is a sad truth that for Ryder and myself, that how we dress reflects directly on us as leaders. Most everyone in University got accepted because they will be politically, scientifically, or academically important. In all three of these, learning to dress properly and to be comfortable in proper clothing is essential."

I nodded at Dimitri knowing that they were right. Ryder cleared his throat and continued, "So, like I said it wasn't a direct stab at you. You are the first slave that we've ever heard of going to University. So before you start complaining about the clothes, just remember that they are so that you can adjust as well as possible."

I took a deep breath and nodded looking at the double doors of the closet, "It must be pretty bad if you guys gave me a disclaimer before I even took a look."

They both snorted and I walked over and with as much courage as I could muster I opened the doors and winced and hissed as the lights turned on. It was simply obscene, the amount of clothing in the room. It wasn't just the amount of clothing that was obscene as it was the fineness of the clothes. There was a great deal of silk, satin, lace, in bright amazing colors I had only seen occasionally here at the palace. I sighed as I walked in looking disheartened at the whole quarter wall dedicated to shoes of every kind. Some flat, some athletic, some fine and high, and some just old enough to make me think of them as work shoes. Next to that was a wall of purses, large gaudy name brand purses lined half of the section and the other half was a selection of smaller purses and bags, all still name brand but not as gaudy.

I still accepted everything, the hats, the dresses, the shoes, the bags but I drew the line at the large cabinet of jewelry. I didn't open it but instead I crossed my arms and said loudly to the two standing at the door way, "Absolutely not."

I heard them murmuring to each other and I stormed out of the closet, "I draw the line at the jewelry!"

"Ha." Ryder said to Dimitri and he held to his hand and Dimitri handed him a wad of cash, the pair being rewarded with a sour look from me.

Ryder and Dimitri held their hands up, "The jewelry in there was what your mother had given to you. Also a lot of that is Ryder's moms presents to your mother and you. You will need a selection of jewelry for the more formal occasions, regardless if you like the idea. The cabinet is more space than jewelry."

I took a breath and nodded, turning and looking at the room feeling greatly overwhelmed. Ryder threw an arm over my shoulder, "Well Di and I need to go get ready for the interview, and you do too. Use the closet, you need to make a good impression on the counselors so they feel inspired to help you as much as possible."

Dimitri nodded, "You need to shine like a new penny, if you dress and act like a slave you will be seen as nothing but a slave. We both know you have greatness in you Sera, just make the outside match the inside."

I nodded, "Alright, can you guys come back when you are done. Just knock and I'll let you in."

They both nodded grinning as if they had won a war without fighting and then both took off to their rooms. I turned back and walked into the bathroom, turning the shower on and getting into it, scrubbing every inch of me. I stayed in the shower longer than I normal would have, enjoying the fact that the hot water didn't fade away after a few minutes.

I got out of the shower to a very plush set of towels and I put my hair up in one and wrapped another around my body and went warily to my new closet. I looked at all the dresses not liking how formal they all looked. After looking through them I started seeing less formal dresses but I still didn't like them. I sat on the bench in the closet and sat thinking about the clothes.

I hated the fact that the clothing would be a significant part of how people perceive me, and if I wasn't serious and didn't look serious or if I didn't look like I could handle what was being thrown at me, my link to success, my guidance counselors, would write me off, and it wouldn't matter if I were accepted or not, I would fail out after a year and never go back.

I straightened my back and looked through the dresses again, unsatisfied with what I found. I couldn't look too formal, because then I would look stupid, like I was an onion trying to be an apple. I turned away from the dresses and began to search the rest of the closet, becoming more impressed with the extent of the different clothing in it. I grabbed a few shirts and pants and skirts and then as I moved around a few outfits I saw a beautiful, dark, blue, pinstripe, ladies suit.

I pulled it down and grabbing a cream colored undershirt I put it on, surprised only mildly that it was in fact tailored to fit me. I put on a good looking pair of shoes and then spent a while in the mirror putting my wavy hair up in a twist that looked professional, but still young.

I opened a drawer looking for some hair pins and stumbled onto a very expensive set up of make up. I looked at it nervously and held up a black coal liner, and lined my eyes, and a pink liner, and lined my lips, glossing them and with a hint of darker color on my lids I stepped back and looked at me entirely.

I looked very different, there was no doubt I was a human, that couldn't be avoided, and the brand of a slave was very visible on the back of my neck, but I didn't care about it being seen, it was part of who I was. The rest of me could have passed as very important Administration, maybe even main level Administration. The idea unsettled me a bit but I figured for a human that was a good thing to look and with a sigh I walked out into my room and waited for Dimitri and Ryder.

They knocked a few minutes later and trying to tuck an unruly, curly, piece of hair back with the rest of my hair I opened the door. The boys looked amazing, like I knew they would. Dimitri was in a very good looking, perfectly tailored, black suit. The likeness to his father was unsettling, except, unlike his father, he kept his hair un-styled, letting it still fall down.

Ryder was wearing a black pair of slacks and a green, button up, shirt with a darker green tie. His hair was brushed and the frizzy curls were suddenly in control. I smiled at the two of them and invited them in, both of them looking me up and down. I shifted, not from being uncomfortable, but from hoping that I had judged right and was wearing something appropriate.

After a few moments of silence between the three of us, with me trying to wrestle the lose curl into submission, and finally giving up Ryder nodded, "It looks good. That's what I think."

Dimitri nodded, "Yes, however, I don't know if you should have your hair up..."

My brand was something Dimitri hated on a very primal level, I had gotten it when I was two and he remembers me crying every night in pain because of it. I don't remember, but he does and because of that, he has always seen the brand on my neck and associated it with severe pain.

I shrugged at him, "I'm a slave Dimitri, there's no getting around it."

Ryder nodded, "That's right Di, leave it alone. I think it's a bold statement, and I like it."

Dimitri pressed his lips together for a moment and nodded with a shrug, concern still in his eyes. We walked together into the main entrance way of the Palace and then reluctantly I let Ryder's and Dimitri's hands go as the boys went into separate rooms closing the door softly behind them. I turned and taking a deep breath walked into the atrium.

There were two women already seated at a small table, one vacant chair waiting for me. I walked to them quickly, picking out Madame Aleckzaner quickly from between the two. She was tall and much like Victor and Dimitri her hair was black, straight, and her face and body were much like her brother and nephew. The severe angles of the family made her look equally severe and quite intimidating and I would have been thoroughly intimidated except for her bright, blue eyes were twinkling with the same mischievous look that Dimitri's had when he was in an exceptionally good mood.

The other lady was the complete opposite of Madame Aleckzaner, while the vampire was tall, lean, and severe, Lady Harrington was short, barely over six foot which was very unusual for an immortal. She was round, and very merry looking, her face and cheeks flushed as if she were constantly laughing.

Madame Aleckzaner noticed me first and stood up, Lady Harrington standing soon after both with wide, open smiles. I smiled in return and bowed to both of them, greetings them and then we all sat down waiting for tea.

"Well you certainly are quite lovely, Victor failed to mention that." I smiled at Madame Aleckzaner.

"Thank you Madam."

"Oh, goodness don't call me that, call me Isadorre when we are having private meetings like this."

"Oh, I agree, call me Jizelle, I can't imagine the horror of having myself called Ladyship all the time."

The two women both laughed and then turned their attention to the tea that was being served. I quietly stirred in the sugar and lemon into the tea and sipped it politely, my mother's instruction on proper tea etiquette reverberating in my head. When I looked up from sipping tea I saw the other two women staring at me intensely.

I smiled, setting my tea down and waiting politely with my hands in my lap.

"My, when I was told my first interview would be with you Seraphina, I must admit, I was a bit wary, even after speaking with Victor."

Jizelle smiled and patted her teased up hair and took another sip of tea, "Well, most of this meeting is to find out what your interests are and how we can reconcile that with what the plans for a major the University has for you. Which in this case is pretty open, so tell us Seraphina, what are you interested in studying?"

I took a breath thinking about what I was interested in and shaking from nerves I said softly, "I was interested in Anthropology or Sociology."

Both women sat back with a wince and sighed, "I'm not entirely sure you will be able to study that Seraphina."

I sighed disappointed and slumped a bit, "Why?"

"To be completely honest, it makes everyone nervous enough that you are going to University, but to center your studies on the role and development of the role of humans in our society, well that's too much." Isadorre was trying to be polite but I understood.

I sat back in my chair looking past the two counselors and to the windows, noticing the clouds moving across the sky. It didn't matter what I wanted, it was a brutal reality, and I was, suddenly, very glad my mother had died during the happy part of this whole thing.

"Alright, so what am I supposed to go into then? Because my guess is that it doesn't matter what I want to do unless what I want, is exactly what the University wants for me. So let's cut through the pretense of this entire conversation and get to the heart of the matter, what do they want me to major in, and then I'll take my class schedule, rooming assignment and we can, the three of us, be on our way."

Both women looked startled and Jizelle put her hand to her chest with a softly uttered, "My word."

I ignored the both of them, a dark streak of frustration and anger washing through me. I felt a cold hand cross the table and grab mine, "You have done well Seraphina, but things cannot be changed all at once. Take the steps that are given to you, and pick the battles for the other steps wisely. That being said, you will study politics."

I winced, "So I'm going to be an Administrator."

The calm, fluttery little Jizelle slammed her hand onto the table, causing the china to rattle violently, "You listen here young lady. Were you enrolled into the Administration program? No, you were not. A great deal of people fought to keep you out of that program. You are in the Academic program, and I can understand your disappointment but that is how it stands."

Isadorre seemed bemused by the woman's outburst and turned to me, "Matter of fact you are going to be in the same program that Ryder and Dimitri are being forced to take. Unlike them, however, you are not allowed to take a secondary major, mainly because we are more than aware that the work load would be too great for you to handle."

"You force them to take a major?"

Isadorre touched her chest, "Me? No, I do not. They are the future rulers, so as such, a lot of their destiny is predetermined, much as yours is right now. So if it helps, just try to remember that fact."

I swallowed feeling appropriately ashamed at my outburst and nodded, "I apologize for my previous words."

Both women waved them off and we sat down to finish the tea and spoke briefly of electives. Much to my horror Isadorre pulled one of the sketch books I kept at the palace out of her bag, "I found this in my room."

I gapped at her, "Your room is the lilac room?"

She laughed and nodded, "I saw your signature at the bottom, and I was wondering where you learned to draw like this."

She opened the book and handed one picture after another to Jizelle who kept patting her chest with soft "oh, my." every other picture.

"I taught myself."

I spotted one that I had done of Dimitri and Ryder, both of them sitting underneath the apple trees in the garden, Dimitri reading and Ryder sleeping. It was one of the rare times they had been touching, their shoulders touching, where I didn't have to force them. I considered it one of the best drawings of them I had done.

Isadorre sighed and continued to stare at the picture before carefully handing it over to Jizelle who gasped and stared at it, her face blushing, "This is beautiful."

Isadorre began to put the pictures back into the large pad leaving the last one out and on top, "Your technique needs a lot of work, but there is really something special about your art, especially the ones of Dimitri and Ryder, so I'm sure Jizelle will agree with me, that perhaps your electives should focus on art?"

Jizelle nodded emphatically and I smiled, "I have always wanted to get better."

She handed my pad back to me but I noticed her keep a hold of the drawing and I looked at her worried, "Oh, don't worry, I just want to show someone first."

I nodded and then stood up, realizing the interview had been concluded. Isadorre handed me my schedule, winking at me, "I had hoped you would agree to the art classes so I already enrolled you in them."

I looked at my schedule and taking a deep breath I thanked the women and turned and walked out.

*****

Isadorre smiled at the slaves departure, she was a bold girl, and Isadorre was content to know that all the while the girl would be pushed, she had it in her to push back just as hard. She looked down at the picture, her eyes automatically picking out the flaws in the shading and where the girl had spent too much time erasing a mistake.

The picture was stunning, despite its flaws, or maybe because of them. The drawing was amazing and Isadorre quickly bid the little Wolf woman farewell and walked through a hidden door way. She walked quickly through several of the unknown passageways until one opened up into her brothers study. He was silently reading something and as she closed the door behind her he cleared his throat.

"It would be more appropriate to enter through the main door Isadorre."

Isadorre held the picture behind her, "Oh hush, you already know I'm the only one that knows those passages. I have something for you."

"And what would that be?" He asked quizzically, his eyes leaving the page finally to look at his young sister.

"Seraphina has a talent I bet you didn't know of."

"It would not surprise me. The only thing that doesn't surprise me is how little I know of the child." there was a smile playing at the corner of his mouth and Isadorre felt a bit of her stress leave. Her brother was doing a lot better than she thought possible, since the loss of the Queen.

"Did you know that your son has been letting her spend her free time in my room?"

Victor shook his head, curiosity sparking his intelligent eyes, "Why have they been doing that?"

"Oh, probably because it has the best lighting in the Palace. She has certainly been using the window enough." Isadorre handed the page over to Victor.

He looked at it stunned for a moment, and then touched one of the edges very softly, so he wouldn't smudge the line, "Who?"

"Seraphina." Isadorre perched on the corner of the desk and watched her brothers expression go from amazed, to concerned, then amazed again.

"Her technique needs work."

"Oh I agree, it was a relief to find an elective she would be so interested in, considering you personally requested her to learn the same line of academics as your son, even though her mind was set elsewhere."

"I'm more than aware of where her mind was set on, but as optimistic and idealistic as she is, I'm hoping learning politics will give her the leg up she is going to need." He tapped his jaw in thought, considering the drawing carefully.

"Look at Dimitri and Ryder in the drawing, how often do you see the two of them at peace with each other like that?"

"Not as often as needed, to be honest I thought they both were going to take after their grandmothers for a while."

"Yes, I do remember when Ryder was first put in the nursery with Dimitri. You know, I remember you trying to do it when little Seraphina wasn't there, and the two did attack each other."

"That is how it has always been with those two boys, together and alone they are too opposite to ever get along. Seraphina's presence has ensured the boys at least consider each others opinions before disagreeing."

"This couldn't have been drawn too long ago, Victor, the boys look too old. I would say that she is getting them to do more than just not openly disagree right away."

Victor sighed, "I cannot lie when I say I wasn't greatly relieved when the University accepted Seraphina."

"I was relieved too." Isadorre and Victor both looked up to the door of the office and both smiled in greeting as Mariah walked in looking flushed and slightly out of breath.

"Ryder is still in his interview, I'm guessing Seraphina is done?" Mariah was speaking to Isadorre who nodded.

"She's as observant as you told me, she understood quickly about where she stood and her outburst was very minimal. She also looked very good in the clothes you both got her, the suit was nice on her."