The Priestess and Her Boy Ch. 17

Story Info
Nikah is hunted.
1.8k words
4.85
3.3k
00

Part 17 of the 26 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

17 - Nikah Outside

Ten days after their meeting in the seed room, Ashala knocked on Ruta's bedchamber door. It was late in the evening, long after priestesses would normally make social visits.

"Ruta, are you still up?" she called from outside.

"Of course I am, come in!" shouted Ruta in reply.

Ashala entered to find Ruta playing chess with her night boy, Fris, from the Library. Walking over to look at the board, she placed a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder and said, "Ruta, he is beating you!"

"Hmmmm." said Ruta, without raising her eyes from the board.

"I always beat her Mistress." said Fris to Ashala, grinning.

"Yes, alright Fris!" Ruta replied, annoyed. "Ashala, what brings you here so late?"

Ashala spoke to Fris, "Go kneel outside the door! Wait there for your night Mistress to call you!"

She waited for him to leave and then turned back to Ruta.

"I have a young Priestess crying in my bedchamber."

"Oh, I am sorry to hear that Ashala. Who?"

"Sharah."

"But Nikah is with her tonight."

"No, Ruta, that is the point. He is not with her. When he did not arrive at her bedchamber door she came to me distraught. She thinks he does not like her. I told her not to be silly. But Ruta, when did you last see Nikah?"

"At midday. I gave him some chores to do in the Garden. I was in the seed room all day. Ashala, should we go and sit with Sharah?"

"Ruta!," replied Ashala, almost shouting, "Do not worry about her! My night boy is sitting with her. Think about what is important! Did Nikah return to you at day's end to be dismissed?"

"Well, no. I do not always insist on that Ashala. I trust my boys. I thought nothing of it."

Ashala dropped into the chair vacated by Fris, sighing. She leaned forward and took both Ruta's hands in hers.

"Ruta, what does Nikah know of the new suf herb?"

"Nothing. He fetches things for me and works the herb beds. He knows nothing of the art."

"He has seen you feed the new herb to the boy from the market? He has seen the change in the boy?"

Ruta nodded.

"Ruta," said Ashala. "Nikah is not a fool!"

"Oh, Ashala, where can he be?"

"Shivering in the dark on the road to Vosgir, that is where. We must bring him back. I will go to the City Adjutant and ask for warriors. But we cannot send them alone - if Nikah talks to them it will be just as bad as if he talks to the Sons of the North. And, besides, they would not even know what he looks like. We must send a priestess with them. Ruta, do we even have a sister who can ride?"

"Only Hanja as far as I know. She is an orphan, I believe, but was born to an aristocratic family. They used to hunt. She once told me that riding was something she missed from life before the Temple."

Ashala considered this for a moment.

"She would not be my natural choice. Tak is in the North, of course, and I would rather they do not meet so soon after he has left us. But Nikah is on foot, and should easily be caught before he reaches Vosgir. And Hanja is fit and strong enough for the journey. Ruta, go and pull Hanja from whatever boy she is enjoying in her bedchamber! Tell her what has happened and have her prepare to leave at first light! You will have to tell her about the new suf herb, but she is devout and obedient to the Circle - she can be trusted. Have her take a gag from the Shrine Priestess - it must be applied to Nikah the moment he is captured and not removed until he is safely back here. He can go hungry in the meantime. And then we will decide what to do with him. And Ruta, she will need warm clothes. Make sure she prepares well."

****

In the City guardhouse, Ashala waited patiently with the sergeant of the night watch and the boy Fris, who had accompanied her from the Temple so that she did not have to walk alone through the dark streets. The sergeant had eventually sent a guardsman to fetch the Adjutant from her bed, after much argument and pleas that the matter, whatever it may be, should wait until morning. But Ashala had insisted and threatened the poor man until he became more afraid of her than of his commander.

The Adjutant finally arrived, instructing her sergeant to leave the room.

"Go with him Fris!" said Ashala.

"Well, Priestess, why am I woken in the middle of the night, ripped from the arms of my husbands? Wait, you purchased a boy from me at the market recently, did you not?"

"Indeed," replied Ashala, recognizing the Adjutant as the seller of the boy Samon. "But tonight I need your help. The Temple has a pressing problem, Adjutant. A boy has fled. We believe he is on the road to Vosgir. I need six of your men to accompany a priestess and bring him back."

"Vosgir? If he is a Son of the North you should let him go Priestess."

"He is not."

"And why this urgency? Why could this not wait until morning?"

"He has taken something of great value. He must be found and returned."

"Very well, I can spare two men. They will be ready to leave at first light. Have your priestess meet them here."

"Just two? Heavens, this City used to have a legion! I must know that my sister will be safe in the forests. Give me four at least. And a horse for her."

"Your High Priestess is the loudest voice in the Republic against a larger force. I'm afraid two is all I can spare. Tell me, how is Samon?"

"You loved him, did you not? Why did you sell him?"

"I had my reasons. How is he?"

"I do not know." said Ashala, crossing her arms.

"Very well Priestess, four men and a horse for your sister."

"Samon is a fine Temple boy. He thrives and enjoys working in the Gardens for sister Ruta - whom you met. He is a pleasure to be with, a popular night boy among the priestesses who have so far enjoyed him, and a credit to his original trainer. I will make sure he knows that she still thinks of him."

****

Outside the Guardhouse, Ashala called for Fris who came running and presented her with five groats.

"What is this?" she asked.

"I won it from the Sergeant in a game of Gist." replied the boy.

"But what if you had lost?"

"Oh, I knew I would not lose Mistress," replied Fris. "But I assumed you would pay him if I did."

"FRIS!" shouted Ashala, "You cannot do that!"

"I was wondering if you would buy something nice for Priestess Ruta, next time you go out into the City, and give it to her for me."

"Oh Fris," sighed Ashala. "How am I supposed to be angry with you now?" She kissed him, took his arm, and they walked back to the Temple.

****

The four City Guards spoke not a single word to Priestess Hanja that first day on the path to Vosgir. But in the evening, after darkness fell, and as they sat around the fire eating their rations, the youngest warrior, a boy named Kive, spoke up.

"You are so beautiful, Priestess Hanja." he said, but then immediately looked down sheepishly.

"Why, thank you boy. That is very kind of you." she replied.

"I attended a Ceremony of Giving at the Temple recently, Priestess Hanja. It was you that presided."

"Oh yes, I think I remember you." she lied, mischievously.

The boy reddened. But now his comrades were keen to continue his teasing.

"I'll warrant you could not maintain yourself until the gong, could you Kive? Not with such a magnificent Priestess before you."

"Shush, leave him be!" said Hanja, a little ashamed at having initiated the boy's discomfort. "Kive - is that your name? - come and sit with me over here!"

Kive moved over to Hanja's side and she rested her head on his shoulder, enjoying the jealousy on the faces of the other three.

"He will be talking of this for years, Priestess Hanja," said the oldest of the warriors. "And why not. He is a good boy. But tell me, what will become of the runaway when he is returned to the Temple?"

"I do not know. It has been many summers since a boy ran. In the days of the Old Queen they say the punishment was fifty strokes and then transport to the quarries. But our current High Priestess is a little more, er, enlightened."

"Even so," replied the warrior, "He will not wish to be captured."

"I think we will catch up with him tomorrow," said Hanja. "I must have him before he reaches Vosgir. He will come when I call him, I am sure of it. And then I will plead for leniency at the Temple."

The City guardsmen looked at each other nervously. Finally the older of them again spoke up.

"He is young and strong? And he has food?"

"Yes very strong, and yes, he took food from the kitchens before leaving." replied Hanja.

"Priestess Hanja, let me tell you a story. I was at the Battle of Tajorg, what, fourteen summers ago. I was with a company of cavalry, at the rearguard of the column. The Sons of the North attacked us from both sides and killed many of my comrades. I was able to escape with a few others and we rode back towards the City to raise the alarm. At least that is what we told ourselves. In reality we were terrified - riding for our lives. Our enemies chased us on foot, but we were able to easily distance them of course. At first anyway. Over the next three days we rode steadily, stopping at night when it was too dark to proceed safely. On the final day we reached the plains under the City and made our way down to the river so that our horses could take water. And then, from the trees, came the Sons of the North running towards us. They had never been far behind."

He paused to see if Hanja was grasping the full meaning of his words, before continuing, "You say he has a good start on us? If he is a runner, and if he has guessed that his owners will chase him, I doubt we will see him before Vosgir, horses or not! But what does it matter? Let us find him there. The Sons of the North must surrender him to us under the terms of the Treaty."

"No!," replied Hanja. "We will rise before dawn and ride much harder tomorrow. I want him before Vosgir!"