The Priestess' Punishment Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"R-ridiculous!" she managed to stammer at last. What was the point of having been sent back in a new body, if the cumulative efforts of her life - her mastery of the dimensional works - was taken away from her? She had just learned that the church that she had built to govern all her subjects had been dismantled. Was she really going to be powerless to do anything about it?!

Linarei tried to remain calm. What she really wanted to do, was to scream so loudly that hardened subjects of the distant Plaguelands might appreciate her discontent. "When I turned ten years old, I was bestowed the vocation of 'dimensional works research' - a task that would never again be assigned to another. But even on that day, even before I began my great undertaking, my Access Level was higher than this! Even a new infant has higher priority than I, the one regarded as Auralux herself incarnate! How can this be possible? Filipia Designation Zwei! Tell me this is a bad joke!"

The knight sighed sadly. She had her orders, and, while it was actually convenient that Linarei had been rendered harmless, it was still a terrible thing for a warrior - to witness such an immense power vanish without clear reason. No, there was always a reason. Although what had happened to Linarei could not be understood, the basic cause for her being stripped of her powers was obvious. "This must be the price of your resurrection, Linarei. I am sorry."

The former priestess was too distraught to react to Filipia's use of her birth name. Actually, she comprehended the real reason well enough - but it was truly a bitter pill to swallow. Long ago, she had assigned herself the maximum possible Access Level. According to the console log, that value had failed a validation check, and she needn't understand a great deal of computer programming to recognise the problem in the code.

The validation had been checking for an Access Level 'less than' the maximum value. Hers had been 'exactly equal to' that maximum. By reasonable expectations, the 'maximum' value should have been valid! In other words, there was a bug in the system, and she was the first to ever be affected by it.

"Curses," she hissed between clenched teeth. If only she had set her Access Level to even 1 insignificant point less! She cursed whatever programmer in the world beyond had not tested his work adequately, but she also knew that, more than anything else, it was her own greed and vanity to blame for her predicament.

The lost Access Level was devastating, but, since the console log had proven true so far, there was an even greater problem. The 'default profile' for the Access Level was not the mechanic she was used to, that is, she would not be able to increase the number by the usual methods of rigorous training, and the taking of other lives.

She re-checked the transcription of the log, and re-read the details for this 'default profile'. The 'increase method' was 'ADDED_GENETICS'. Why? Probably, she figured, because alphabetically, that string would be ordered before 'HUMAN_DEFAULT', which she knew to be the normal mechanism that every person was born with. Again, this was the result of lazy, poorly tested software. But the implications to her were devastating.

So she had an Access Level of 0, and no clear method for improving on this. Not even among her more advanced experiments had she found an avenue for changing genetic information among humans. As the genome was all simulated, there might be a way from the outside of the system. But not even Linarei could do such a thing from the inside - not even when she had maximum Access Level, and plenty of time and test subjects.

So, if she needed to crack that great scientific frontier in order to experience any kind of levelling up, she could probably just give up now! If her new body did not have the means to advance - not even at the same rate that the lowliest peasant enjoyed... if, even if she resigned herself to kiss goodbye to centuries of mastery of her art, and start her training from scratch, if even then...

She considered her cruel new position in this world, even as she had been ready to ascend from it entirely. With an Access Level of 0, she would never again be able to make an API request of any significance - ironic, seeming as though she had been the one to develop the phenomenon from a young age. Her discoveries surrounding the various spawnable class types had been the basis for her rise to power.

She still remembered the entire catalogue of API commands, including the most crucial one that could effortlessly override an Access Level. However, without at least minimal access, she simply and absolutely could not use any of them! Linarei could have laughed. She alone had enjoyed maximum access for centuries, but now she would be the first human to suffer the disgrace of being blocked out of the system entirely.

But being able to perform API requests would not be her only limitation. In fact, it got worse. The main purpose of the Access Level system was to resolve an order of priorities among all entities in the world. It allowed humans to interact with the basic objects in their surrounding environment. Clothing, furniture, cutlery, fallen twigs and leaves - these kinds of things typically had a priority level of 0. But she would not be able to use anything with complexity, or that was considered to require skill.

For example, she would not be able to wield even a wooden practice sword of the lowest priority level. She wouldn't even be able to use common tools like an axe for chopping wood, or a broom for sweeping. Not that she had any interest in such things, but the point was, her new body - despite being perfectly formed and as gorgeous and durable as ever - was worthless in every practical sense she could think of.

A tear of self pity rolled down Linarei's cheek, and the warm wetness of it shocked her and caused both her eyes to produce more of the humiliating secretion. "Is it possible, are you still loyal to me, Filipia? You've confirmed my weakness now. Are you here to help me?"

How dearly Filipia wanted to smile at her, and confirm her loyalty, and tell her that everything was going to be ok. But telling a mistruth had never been one of her strongpoints.

"Well, you might say that I'm here to help you through the times to come. But I now answer to the governing council, and there have been, umm... decisions made... regarding the former Archpriestess."

Her words carried a heavy feeling of foreboding, but Linarei remained focused on how she might save herself. She needed access to her physical console. Without an Access Level, she could not summon the devices that were concealed beneath the floor, such as the console and the elevator. But, if someone else were to call up her console, operating it would be a simple enough task for her. "I just had a thought, Filipia. It seems that those who rebelled against me are being treated favourably, are they not?"

"Well, yes, your eminence. The first action of the council was to officially clear them of any wrongdoing for opposing the Primordial church. And as a paladin of the Society-"

"But you're only speaking of Elicean. What of this other, irregular unit. Kainan? You said that he was unconscious too?" Actually, she understood well enough what had happened to the assassin. With his task completed, he would have logged out and returned to the real world. The body he left behind was likely just an empty husk, and it would maintain itself only so that he could return to it if needed.

"Well, not exactly. He is alive and he eats and he drinks, but he cannot walk or speak. Something is wrong with his mind. Nobody has been able to work it out, and Elicean has made it her personal duty to care for him. She has since taken a leave of absence to oversee his rehabilitation in the countryside."

"Oh, that is so sad. Such an ill-fitting reward for the two heroes who destroyed my church." Linarei failed to hide her contempt as she all but spat out the words. No, she had to do better than that. There was but one thing she needed from the paladin who stood before her, so she needed to choose her words carefully right now.

"But, Filipia. You said that Kainan was struck down when he attempted to operate my console. I'm certain I could help, if you would be so kind as to cut away some of this disgusting carpet and summon it for me? I think you must understand that I alone can operate it, perhaps I can help this... young hero.

"You know, as a gesture of my good will. And to prove that there will always be problems that only your Debugger can solve." She said the last with a facetious wink of her eye. An attempt at friendliness, but her implied intention was a flat-faced lie. She had no reason to think that the console could return Kainan's consciousness to their world, and in any case that was about the last thing she would want.

"Forgive me, your eminence, but that will not be possible."

"Hawh? Am I still considered a threat then? Even when I just want to help?"

"With you unconscious, the machine stayed in it's summoned state, waiting for somebody else to touch it. The council concluded it to be very dangerous, and ordered it's complete destruction. Personally, I felt the decision should have at least waited until you could have been questioned about it."

"I see, then I guess it can't be helped." It had been a longshot, but Linarei's options would have been a whole lot better if she had been able to regain access to her link to the world beyond their world, and her contact there. In fact, she should have, in theory, been able to attempt the ascension again. No Access Level was required; she needed only to login and retry the last command. But naturally her enemies here, in their pettiness, had managed to rob her of her well-deserved escape!

And, unfortunately, that had been her only out. Regardless of what creative doom the usurpers may have dreamed up for her, she didn't see any point to her continued existence. Miraculous as her resurrection was, for Linarei - of all people who had ever lived in this world - for her in particular - to linger on without the very dimensional works she herself had discovered? It was devastating, and too much for her to bear.

At last she whispered, "I don't want to live." Certainly she was emotional, but as the words popped out, they felt true enough to her. In fact, to utter them was somewhat liberating. It was as if giving up her life was the only power she had left.

"Y-your eminence?"

"I'm sure you're here to break it to me that I'm to be executed anyway! I don't know why I've been kept alive this long - probably so it could be done publicly to complete my humiliation." Linarei's voice raised to a dramatic scream. "But I don't even care anymore! I should be dead anyway, so slay me already! Please, if you still have any love for me, do it."

"I-"

"-Do it yourself, Filipia. I know my high health points won't allow me to die easily. But you possess the Star Prism Blade, and your Ultimate Sword Works! So let me go. I want to be remembered and loved and feared as I was. Please, don't allow anybody else to see me this way!"

Linarei's voice was tarnished with sobbing throughout her tirade, and she was panting heavily by the end. Filipia was finally able to get a word in, though she barely knew what she could even say. "That's not... no decision has been made to execute you. In fact, as part of abolishing the Gospel Interdictum, execution is no longer necessary. The new judicial system does not include it as a penalty."

"I said I don't want to live! I can no longer fulfil my vocation, but you expect me to reside among the ignorant cattle of this world? Don't make me laugh! I alone discovered the secret to ascend from this prison, but right at the end I lost! I can't stand it! It was right that I disappeared, so why was I returned like this?

"Don't you see? My resurrection was nothing more than a rogue subroutine that was triggered by an invalid unit state! And that it couldn't restore me properly proves that it was in error! I didn't ask for this! So finish the job already! If you're worried about this pitiful new council, just tell them I still had some of my powers and that I attacked you first!"

Filipia could no longer look at her former Archpriestess in her tear filled eyes, she pitied her so. She hadn't a clue what Linarei was talking about, but she was sympathetic to her frustration and her terror. Filipia had underestimated the former ruler's vanity - had not expected that she would choose death rather than a life without her immense powers and position of absolute authority. In that case, the fate she was about to unveil was all the more cruel. But one had to perform one's duty, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

"What is it? Tell me already!" Linarei's outburst caused the welling tears to slide down her face. Had Filipia even heard of the Archpriestess been capable of such emotion? It was possible she had not cried in centuries!

"I... can't..."

Linarei sighed before her frustration could cause her an aneurysm. She closed her eyes, and breathed deeply. In, and out. And again, nice and deep. Her response had been emotional; she didn't really want to let go of her life. Just because she couldn't think of a solution now, didn't mean one couldn't exist. "Actually, I'm still thirsty. Can I at least trouble you for one last cup?" If her new body was truly going to rely on food and water again, then it wasn't surprising that she would have a killer thirst after five weeks of unconsciousness.

Filipia managed to smile, if just slightly. "Of course, just leave it to me." She seemed delighted to perform the trivial service to her former mistress, but Linarei was struck with the probability that such meaningless gestures were approaching the limit of the assistance she could expect.

The water arrived in short order. It was the fourth time the large goblet had been filled, and Linarei hastily raised it to her lips. She was clumsy amidst her distress, and she spilled some down the front of her nightshirt, causing it to cling to her pale skin and turn transparent. The wet lace felt like ice being rubbed over one of her nipples, but she ignored her mishap and drank quietly as Filipia produced another sheath of paper from her tunic pocket. "I will read you the judgement now," she said, her distaste for the task clear upon her face.

But what could be so bad, that she couldn't even relate it in her own words? Linarei had suspected they might have planned on burning her to death, just as Chairman Nikeluch had unwittingly destroyed her original body. It was therefore a proven method, but with her off-the-chart health points, such a death would be slow and agonising. Surely that would satiate those who fostered personal hatreds towards her.

That should have been the worst case scenario that her enemies might have dreamed up. But Filipia had already ruled out execution, so what was it? Filipia cleared her throat, obviously dreading reading from the parchment. What could be so bad?! Despite her encouragement to Filipia to get to the point, Linarei was actually suitably terrified. She sat still now but for her body's quiet trembling, which may have been the cool damp that wrapped one of her breasts, but even she knew it was likely more than that. She squeezed the empty cup in her hand tightly, and waited.

"The judgement from the council reads as follows.

"Linarei, who resides as Archpriestess of the Primordial church, and former ruler of the Unified Empire. The emergency governing council has determined your guilt in abuse of your ruling powers, of extreme tyranny, and heinous crimes against humanity spanning numerous generations. It is now recognised that the Gospel Interdictum that you have forcibly indoctrinated into your people was designed primarily to protect your own position of power, while oppressing the freedoms of every other person in the realm.

"It is commonly understood that those who violate even the most trivial of these interdicts are brought to Principal Cathedralis and put to death. However, it is now clear that many of these people have been exposed to vile and forbidden experiments at your very hands. Experiments that have - and only after inflicting untold suffering - led to you developing ultimate weapons with which to protect yourself. You have spread a lie that the Society of Primordial paladins are superior beings summoned from the other dimension, but the truth is that they are the result of an inhumane process you have developed called the Neuron Mapping Override.

"We will now begin the accounts of recent crimes from reliable living witnesses.

"Elicean Glascon, now also known as Elicean Designation Dreizig, has provided a detailed report of a great, terrible weapon you built with the premise of protecting the empire. However, using matter conversion works to transform three hundred citizens into bladed weapons is a humanitarian disaster that has seen no equal in history. Considering that your people would willingly take up arms had you permitted a standing army, the council can only conclude that you chose such a deplorable alternative in the interest of preserving your absolute control.

"All four surviving honourable inquisitors whose memories could be restored confirm that it was the Archpriestess herself who sought them out for their superior skill in the dimensional works, and then tricked them into becoming her enforcers of the Gospel Interdictum. You confined each into a sinister capsule of your design, intended to take away their dignity and suppress their free will. These people were forced to slave away night and day as an insidious surveillance system - all so that you could further tighten your stranglehold on your people and prevent any meaningful progression of society.

"Two child Primordial paladins, whose identities are being omitted from this document on account of the victim's mental ages, testify being given a most perverse vocation by the Archpriestess herself. At just 5 years of age, they were among dozens of children forced to fight and kill each other. Worse, you used the resulting corpses in despicable resurrection experiments, giving the murdered children unnatural reanimation, but only so that they could repeat the process over and over. And as the resurrection experiments failed and terrible abominations were produced-"

Filipia looked up from the papers, and, seeing the state of the girl upon the bed, was forced to pause her reading. Linarei was sitting with her face rocking violently into her knees that were drawn tight against her body. Her genitals were exposed again, though neither woman was concerned about that this time. She was shaking and muttering something over and over. Filipia stepped closer until she could hear her distressed ramblings. "It wasn't me, it wasn't me, it wasn't me-"

Linarei had awoken disoriented and confused. Since, she had struggled to recall her most recent memories, conversed extensively with Filipia, comprehended a complex document, and had repeatedly fuelled her body with water. As she did these things, her brain, which had been protected in an extended period of dormancy, was becoming fully functional.

Before hearing Filipia's damning words just now, she had been so fixated on the loss of her Access Level, she had overlooked the most important change of all with her resurrection. Before today, she had harboured no sense of guilt for any of her atrocities. She perceived, she acted, and she never saw reason to second guess herself on any of it.

But in the present, as Filipia read out the terrible catalogue, Linarei recognised her own evil for the very first time - and her abhorrence of it was enough to induce instant nausea. She had been wrong - vile, deranged, irredeemably damaged... and yet, something had fundamentally changed in her. She had awoken this afternoon, and though she had not realised it at first, she was most certainly an entirely different person. And she knew what it was. It had been right there in the console log.