The Prince's Consort Ch. 08

Story Info
Caitlin meets the Queen.
3.4k words
4.64
13.8k
15
2

Part 8 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/24/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Standing hurt, sitting hurt, so she laid on the couch, watching the flames die out. Caitlin's bruises were beginning to color, and she poked at them to feel something. Brushing her tongue on the back of her teeth, she teased the sore spot that had ruined the evening.

Kalen didn't release his canines the first night, either that, or she hadn't noticed. She wondered if he did it on purpose, or if it was an unconscious act.

It was nearing dawn, and she was still unable to sleep.

Caitlin wanted to open the stairwell beneath the fireplace, but he'd warned her against following him, and she wondered how long he meant for her to wait. He wouldn't make an appearance before nightfall returned, which left the entire day to whittle away, and little to do.

Dressing became a feat of balance, fighting the stiffness in her joints. When Caitlin was dressed in a plain shirt and riding pants, she rang the bell, hoping Marianne might entertain her.

The wait took longer than usual, and she rang it again, hoping Marianne didn't mistake it for impatience. Eventually she poked her head out the door; the hall was silent. The servant stairs were empty and nothing but the tick of an old clock sounded through the building.

"Hello...?" her voice echoed. "Marianne? Edmund? Anyone?"

For the first time, she felt a jolt of panic, could they have abandoned her?

Gingerly descending the stairs, she checked the front door, the bolt was locked. She traveled through the dining room and into the kitchen, where the scent of food lingered. Caitlin opened a door near the back, finding, rather than a pantry, a small room made up neatly. It smelled like Marianne. On the dresser, several pictures sat of her with two young men, they had her nose.

Marianne wasn't there.

A trill ring made her jump, she turned to the far wall and saw a series of bells and their associated rooms labeled beneath. One still wavered: the drawing room.

Who could have rung it?

Considering that it must have been from the basement, she descended the servant stair, hoping Kalen did not have guests. The worst she could think of was Eamon had returned, but she kept Kalen's words in mind; he could not hurt her now that she was bred.

Caitlin hesitated outside the door before pushing it open. Kalen's mother turned to look at her impassively, lounging with all the grace of a lioness after a hunt. "Miss Stone." Her soft voice observed, "So good of you to join me."

"Um..." She felt awkward in her presence. The woman's pale skin glowed with finesse, her features delicate and perfect; her loose curls stacked high, studded gems nestled within. "Sorry... I-" Caitlin's brain seemed to stop functioning, but Kalen's mother cared little of her gawking.

The Queen's smile mirrored her son's, "Come and sit, I will not bite."

Caitlin clamped her jaw shut and sat in a leather high-backed chair.

"My name is Amandine, I am Kalen's mother, as surely you know by now. How are you liking it here?" She straightened a crease in her midnight gown.

Caitlin nodded, overwhelmed by her radiance, "It's wonderful, but... where are the servants?"

"They took the day off, by my request. You and I must talk." Amandine watched her with pale blue eyes, considering something, "The nature of your arrival here was less than ideal. I apologize on behalf of Kalen, he does not understand the nuances of human courting."

"It's okay." Caitlin said in a small voice.

"I hear the King visited you as well," the Queen moved on, "what did you think of him?"

Caitlin's first thought was to water down her response, but she thought better of it. "He was awful. He made Kalen..." she didn't finish, uncertain that Amandine would have any sympathy for it; she certainly had worse. "I'm sorry." Caitlin amended quickly.

"You should not be." Amandine's words cut through her self-pity, "He is monstrous and deserves no one's consideration." The Queen looked away, thoughtful more than angry.

"What's going to happen to me?" Caitlin asked, "When I..." she touched her stomach.

Amandine's eyes cleared and she smiled, "You will bear a child, of course."

"But it will kill me." The truth trumped her manners.

The Queen scoffed slightly, "Is Kalen dead? Am I?" she sat up from reclining. "Death is a finite matter; most intellectuals can agree it is only when the heart stops." When she stood, Amandine was taller than Caitlin by nearly a foot, every inch a Queen.

She remembered Kalen's warmth, his breath in her ear, even, if she thought hard enough, the pulse of a heartbeat during coitus.

"Come," she offered her hand, "feel it yourself."

Caitlin took the hand and stood, when she was within the Queen's reach, a mellow calm drifted over her. Her hand was placed over porcelain skin, and sure enough, she felt the even beat of a heart. "So, you are alive, then?" She took her hand back, sleep weighing on her eyelids.

Amandine's lips curled into a smile, "We are, but we need life to retain it. Some of us choose to kill only the wicked." Her smile faded, "Some do not."

"Do you?" she whispered.

"Yes, and I taught Kalen the same. I could not bear to take an innocent, with all that potential, their whole lives ahead of them..." As the Queen paused, Caitlin thought of what Kalen had said about her little sister. "The King attempted to undo my guidance; my son still believes he is at fault for his father's commands. Has he told you?"

"Only last night..." she remembered his self-loathing as he told the story.

Amandine nodded, "I will tell you a secret, one you must not tell Kalen until his father dies. Eamon may still use it against him."

Through the haze of fatigue, Caitlin pressed to hear this divulgence.

The Queen leaned forward, her closeness making Caitlin especially heady, "A blood child of a vampire, as Kalen is, cannot directly disobey their sire. They will even believe that they were complicit in the deeds they are forced into. Such as the other night. Kalen was ordered to seed you; he must obey his maker. When Eamon is dead, the truth of it may surface, but it will be difficult for my son, when he becomes aware. He is, essentially, good. As I raised him to be." She stood straight again, watching her with the tenderness of a mother.

"I know... I see it sometimes, when his guard is down." Caitlin spoke only truth, realizing she might be unable to lie in Amandine's presence.

"It was no accident that you two united. I am glad that he found you." Amandine allowed her to sit on the couch, taking her seat next to Caitlin. "Forgive him for his shortcomings, he is learning to be gentle in a world that expects otherwise."

"Sometimes," Caitlin began, "he is callous, I feel that I have offended him."

"Kalen is hard on himself, do not take it personally." The Queen touched her arm, "He cares about you more than he can admit."

"I care about him, too..."

"Have patience, then." Amandine removed a long, studded pin from her hair. She brushed a section of Caitlin's own hair back and inserted it The Queen kissed her forehead, "It is up to a mother to protect her child from any danger that may come. Through all of this, know that it will be worth it in the end."

Caitlin reached up to touch the pin nestled in her auburn hair. "Thank you."

The Queen smiled and stood, "Of course." she paused, "Dawn has arrived, you should sleep. Do not forget what I have said."

She nodded, reclining against the arm of the couch as Amandine closed the door.

Caitlin snuggled into the couch; Here, she was closer to Kalen's own resting place, making her feel a little better. She'd respect his wishes and wait for him to come to her.

*

Marianne entered the room in the midafternoon, waking Caitlin from sleep. "We spent half the day looking for you, miss." She breathed a sigh of relief, "You were not in your room when I returned, we nearly had to rouse the Master."

Caitlin rubbed the sleep from her eyes, "I was speaking with Amandine." She grumbled, still dizzy from being woken, "I'll go back to my room."

The servant gave her a strange look and shook her head, "You may sleep where you wish, I didn't mean to wake you."

She was about to depart when Caitlin stopped her, "Where did you go?"

Marianne paused at the door, "I visited my boys. Met my younger son's new wife as well; told them I wanted some grandchildren." She smiled, "they're good for each other."

Caitlin also smiled, "Glad you got the chance."

"It's good to be back, too. The talk went well?"

"Yes." Caitlin touched the pin still in her hair, "It went well." She wouldn't mention she'd felt dopey next to the Grecian goddess that was Kalen's mother. Her stomach grumbled, Caitlin's last meal had been with him the previous night, and she was starved. "Is there anything to eat?"

Marianne perked up, "Actually, Lev and I were about to have a picnic, care to join us?"

"Sure," Caitlin thought she could use some sunlight. The remarkable view from her room didn't compare to actually being outside. She wanted to make the most of it before the end.

"Good, you know where the stables are, I'll see you there in a few minutes." She said, closing the door behind her gently.

Caitlin stood, stretching the stiffness from her limbs. The sleep did wonders for her body, even her wrist felt better after the long rest. Remembering what Kalen said the night before made her heart flutter: she could see her mom again. She made her way upstairs, finding a side exit through the back of the kitchen, passing Marianne on the way.

"Could you help me with something?" Marianne stopped her, pushing a basket across the counter, "I overpacked and can't carry it all in one go. Don't trust Lev not to eat it all." She winked.

Caitlin took the basket and followed the servant to the field, where Lev had already laid out a blanket. His eyes widened when he saw her as he waved with enthusiasm. The horses, Alba and Bailey, were already out on the field, nibbling at the grass nearby.

It was a beautiful July afternoon, and it hadn't become too hot to stay indoors yet. Caitlin relished the temperate climate at the mansion. Her hometown was likely cooking today. She wondered about her mother, and her aunt. They always went to the lake on hot days, a small, muddy patch that was fed by an underground spring.

Marianne sat and opened the basket, pulling out trays of sandwiches and cut fruit and unwrapping them. "Help yourself," she said to both of them as she continued setting up. The lanky boy waited for her to take a sandwich before doing so himself.

Caitlin swatted a fly away as she chewed on a sandwich, appreciating the trill of birds and the majestic hills and mountains that surrounded the mansion.

"More mail arrived," Marianne said, hoisting herself to the ground and grabbing a sandwich, "Looked like it's from your mother. There was something else too, they're on your desk."

"Thanks." Caitlin finished the sandwich and speared a slice of melon on a fork, "Kalen said I could go visit her soon. I miss her so much..."

Marianne glanced up at her, "That's nice! Glad he came around."

"Me too."

Lev made a motion with his hands at Marianne, who nodded, turning to Caitlin, "He wonders whether you want to go riding again soon?"

Caitlin wanted to, but touched her stomach, "Can I?"

Marianne's chewing paused, "You are pregnant? We should have the doctor come by," she motioned at Lev with a crisp close of two fingers to her thumb, "It would be bad for you to ride once your stomach starts growing, but you shouldn't risk it."

"It's too soon yet," Caitlin amended, "Kalen says I am, but I haven't shown any signs."

"Best believe the Master, miss Caitlin." Marianne chided, "they can sense these things." She avoided looking down at Caitlin's stomach.

The revelation changed the tone of the luncheon, now accompanied by a giant proverbial elephant that no one dared touch upon. They finished eating and resumed small talk, deftly avoiding anything that might be associated with the letter 'P'.

When Caitlin moved to stand, Lev insisted he help her up.

"I'm fine." She waved the servant away, trying not to be rude. If they began helping her now, two days in, she would not be able to put up with the next three years.

She tried to pack up the basket, but Marianne stopped her. "I can manage, you take it easy."

Caitlin rolled her eyes and went over to the filly, who didn't look at her any differently. She rubbed Alba's face as she batted her gorgeous eyes, "Don't you be treating me any different now," she murmured. Bailey ambled over, and jealously nosed in to get a petting. "You, too." She reached up and stroked his face, marveling at his sheer size and strength.

When she'd finished rubbing the steeds down, she turned around to find everything packed up. Marianne hobbled to the door under the weight.

"Let me help." Caitlin insisted.

"Do not worry about me," Marianne said, "You should plan the visit to your mother's." Caitlin could tell that was that, so she left the servant to her work and went to her room. In the study on her desk lay two items of mail, her mother's, and something official in a crisp, white envelope.

Caitlin opened her mother's first, reading and re-reading.

My Dearest Daughter,

Your last letter was distant, but I'm sure you are busy traveling and have less time to sit and write. Did you go to the city as planned? How was it?

There's nothing exciting going on here in town, Marjorie left the council, decided to retire with her husband, so there's an opening. I'm thinking about joining, Eric wants to nominate me, but it might take away from some of the farm work. Now that you're gone, I hired someone from out of town. His name is Gabe, and he's very helpful around the farm. He's staying in your room for now, I hope you don't mind. If you return, say the word and I'll make him stay at the Inn. He's not using your bed, I've got it stowed away in the attic.

Your auntie and the cousins are doing well. Brian wants to leave town for college, probably got the idea from you (I kid). Don't forget to write me back, I look forward to your next letter!

All my love,

Mom.

Mention of the city made her hands tremor slightly.

Caitlin closed the letter and set it on the table. She felt guilty, knowing she'd left all the farm work to her mother when Kalen took her away. Of course, she'd hire someone to fill in, her land was a three-person job, but they had gotten by in the past, just the two of them.

She stewed in the nostalgia for a little longer before looking at the next piece of mail. It had the same PO box as where her mother sent her letters, but there was no return address.

Using the gold letter opener, she easily sliced through the fold and pulled out a crisp sheet of paper. She read:

Dear Caitlin Stone,

RESULTS NOTIFICATION

We are pleased to advise you that the results of your blood tests were NEGATIVE.

The tests administered covered the entire spectrum of bloodborne pathogens, however, it is important that you send in another blood sample if you experience any of the following (as some results may not express themselves on our tests until long after exposure):

Loss of appetite

Vomiting

Fatigue

Diarrhea

Jaundice

Muscle pain

Pain in joints and/or stomach

From the Sunshine Clinic, we thank you for your patronage.

Dr. Althea Gray

Between her mother's inquiry on the city, and the letter guaranteeing her clearance, Caitlin's hands begun to shake violently. She didn't want to remember the dark alley, or the hands that shoved her to the ground, forcing themselves upon her and very nearly taking her on the cold cement. Even the first night with Kalen didn't rise her heckles the way those thugs had, they intended to use and kill her for little more than her perceived status.

The door to her bedroom opened quietly, "You are having another attack." his voice drifted over the thudding in her ears and chest. She shoved the chair back and stood, facing him. She took a breath, trying to calm herself as anxiety rose into her throat.

Caitlin was swiftly folded in his arms, and he held her close as her control melted, the letter opener still gripped in her hand. Panic came in waves, clenching and releasing her before finally relinquishing their hold. With him there, the tremors abated.

After a long time, when she could finally stand without assistance, Kalen stated, "You spoke with my mother last night."

"I did," she took a breath, "you failed to warn me that she was radiant." Her laugh was strained.

Kalen chuckled, touching the pin that still nestled in her hair, "You are radiant yourself." he stroked her back, "Have you considered when you want to visit your mother?"

"I usually plan things after my daily panic attack, thank you." she gave a half-hearted snort, then caught Kalen's unamused glance. "I haven't," she amended, "I've only been up for an hour or two."

"Marianne said you went missing." He stroked her cheek.

"If you call 'sleeping on the couch' 'missing', then yeah, I guess I did." She rolled her eyes, "I couldn't sleep after you left last night, not until your mother and I talked."

Kalen shot her a piteous glance, "It was unfortunate." She wanted more from him, but it was clear she wouldn't get it.

She slipped from his arms and stacked the letters, "You'll be glad to know that I'm free of disease. The doctor's letter arrived today." Caitlin held it out to him.

He looked it over, "Dr. Gray is a capable woman, I trust she has completed all necessary tests, and billed me accordingly." Kalen sounded irritated, but when she looked up, he gave her a wry smile.

"So, you do know what sarcasm is." Caitlin appreciated.

Kalen waved her statement away, "It is adorable that your generation believes they invented it. Regardless, I have an appointment with someone at eight that may take a while. After that, I am yours for the evening, is there anything in particular that you would like to do?"

Caitlin bit her lip, "Nothing I can think of."

"Consider it," he kissed her cheek, "and we will reconvene after my meeting."

"Who are you meeting with?" She asked, wondering who was taking Kalen from her.

"My father's ambassador. I must go through financial reports for the Crown, an arduous process that includes details that would bore you to tears."

Caitlin took hold of his shirt before he could escape, "Tell your father's ambassador that I am not much pleased with him stealing you away." She rose to her toes to kiss him.

"As you will it," he mused, catching her lips in an innocent kiss, then pulling away. "I do not want a repeat of last evening, passion weakens control over my bloodlust."

His hand caressed the back of Caitlin's neck as she looked at her feet. "Kissing is off limits, then?" she asked.

"Until your tongue has healed, yes." Kalen ran a hand through her hair, "More than anything, I must protect you from myself."

She pressed her ear to his chest and he looped an arm over her, the steady beat of his heart a reminder of Amandine's words. "More than your father?" she hinted.

"Even more than he." Kalen concluded. Her heart sank, knowing he was a puppet to his father's will. If only he knew, but she promised not to tell.

Caitlin had to protect him from himself, too.