The Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"May I interrupt?" I asked. "There's something that's always niggled me."

"Sure. Ask me anything."

"I assume the money Rallison paid you was for a bigger house. How were you going to explain it?"

"I admit I hadn't thought that through properly." she said. "I think I'd have said I inherited it from a mystery aunt."

"Go on."

"Well I'm done really. How do you want to proceed?"

"My turn to interrupt." said Garside. "I have a letter here, which may affect your decision."

He opened an envelope.

"A Miss Trudi Yeats approached me. I don't know how she found me, or how she knew about this meeting. But I'm a parent myself, and one thing I've learned over the years, is never underestimate what young people will find out."

Pam and I looked at each other.

"She asked me about her rights concerning custody. I told her, legally, she cannot choose which parent to live with until she is sixteen. But at her age, a divorce court judge will listen to her opinions. So she listed them here, and asked me to read them out. May I?"

"Please do."

'On Saturday 17th of November, I had my first away football match. When we arrived at school, Coach Rayburn said he had just been informed that Bourne had half their team ill with 24 hour flu. So the bus took us all back home. I heard noises from upstairs and saw my mother having sex with a man. Not my father.'

"Oh no!" Pam wailed and buried her face in her hands. Garside gave her a moment before continuing.

'My parents probably don't realise I'm aware, but I believe they led a more open lifestyle when my father was in the air force. And I know they made some kind of promise to abandon that life, when he left. I am shocked by what my mother did, and tried to tell my father, but never found the right moment until after we moved.

So, taking into consideration my moral welfare, I believe it would be better if my main residence is with my father. I love my mother, and I forgive her. But if I am allowed to choose where I live, I'd prefer to be with my dad.'

He put the letter down and Pam burst into tears. When she was able to speak again, she said: "It wasn't just you Len, I hurt you both! I'm so sorry!"

I reached out and held her hand. I don't know why, it just seemed appropriate at that moment.

"There's more." announced Garside. "She continues:"

'Finally, I would like to address my father. You've been the greatest dad a girl could wish for, and I'm sure you will continue to be. But I'd like you to think about that promise you and mum made. And to ask yourself if you think mum will ever break it again. I know she hurt you, hurt both of us. But is our future as a family worth more than one promise?

If you go ahead and get a divorce, you will have my support. I understand there are some things that cannot be forgiven. But, for what it's worth, living with you, dad is actually my second choice. My first choice would be to live with both of you.'

My lips went tight and something caught in my throat. I looked at Pam who was in floods of silent tears. I was most certainly not going to cry. Not here anyway. I swallowed, and took a deep breath. Then:

"What do you think?" I asked her. "That house still needs a lot of hard work, and there's no proper office for you yet. Can you handle all the upheaval?"

"I can. I promise."