The Ranch Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You are insatiable," he chuckled, now indulgently watching her.

"No, you are," she corrected, lifting her head.

Cory grinned at her elegant features, hardly believing this beautiful woman belonged to him.

"No man would blame me," he replied, and kissed her again, this time fervently.

Aware Katie was braless, Cory's hands slid beneath the hem of her shirt, searching for her breasts. Katie moaned when he found them.

Tracing their perfectly circular shape with his fingertips, he drew circles from the outside of her breasts, closing in on her nipples. Lifting her shirt, he bent to suck one pouting nipple.

"We did it twice this morning," she protested as he lifted her into his arms with clear intentions.

"I don't remember complaints. I remember waking up with your hand down my pants," he laughed, kissing her neck as she blushed.

"I was just checking it was still there," she feebly argued, embarrassedly burying her face in his shoulder as he carried her from the window toward the bedroom.

"The only other place it would be, is inside you," he breathed, feeling a familiar ache for her build in his lower body. "God knows we need to escape sometimes. There's no better distraction, than you."

"You shouldn't lift me. Your shoulder-"

"Is fine," Cory interrupted. "If it bothers you, I can easily carry you with one arm," he teased.

"Cory?" Katie sighed.

"Yeah?"

"I'm happy. This is the happiest I've ever been," she murmured against his neck.

Cory frowned at her tone and lowered his arms, peering questionably at her passive face.

"And?"

"I don't get it. How can I be this happy, and sad at the same time?"

"Because a piece of us is missing, Katie. Look," Cory exhaled and gently put her down, cupping her face with both hands.

"You don't understand how hard this is for me. I grew up with him. But I don't own him. As for you..." he paused.

"There is nothing wrong with being happy. It's your right. There's nothing for you to feel guilty about. But I promise, I swear to you, I'll look into it if we don't hear anything by Christmas."

Slightly comforted, Katie smiled and nodded. Cory's eyes warmed as he tilted her face upward and softly kissed her.

**********

Christmas came, and went. Cory and Katie spent most of the day sitting together, looking out the large living room window. They poked fun at each other for it, but the truth was they both wanted to be there. Just in case.

As promised, Cory made inquiries. But he knew it would be some time before Alex could discreetly trace Mark, if at all. The next evening, Katie and Cory playfully unstacked the dishwasher when they paused, hearing the rumble of a car pulling up nearby.

"Could be anyone," Cory murmured, squeezing Katie's shoulder as she eagerly peered out the window.

There had been a number of false alarms, followed by bleak disappointment, and Cory didn't want Katie to get her hopes up. If he was being honest, he didn't want her to get his hopes up, either.

A few, very slow minutes ticked by before the sensor light flickered on, triggered by movement at the front gate. Light flooded the area, illuminating a very tall figure coming up the path. As the visitor drew closer, Katie gasped.

"I-It's him. It is!" she breathed, pulling at Cory's sleeve. "Come on, it's him!"

Cory knew. He'd immediately recognised his childhood friend long before Katie did.

"You... you go first. I can't. I mean, I just..." Cory stopped talking before he choked, and gently pushed her to the door.

Understanding, Katie squeezed his hand and raised to her toes to kiss his cheek, then his lips, before running out. Taking a deep, unsteady breath, Cory pressed a fist to his mouth and watched Katie take a short-cut from the cleared path, excitedly navigating through snow.

It was a reunion that required no words. Mark was unshaven, sporting a black-eye and looking immensely exhausted. But it didn't make him any less handsome, nor did it stop him grinning widely, holding his arms out as Katie ran to him.

Mark lifted her in a hug and squeezed, laughing heartily for the sake of it. After a long moment he kissed her hair and gently lowered her to the ground.

Finally releasing Katie, he stood tall and looked down, deliberating whether to speak or kiss her. Then he glanced up and saw Cory.

Wiping away tears, Katie stepped aside, looking mildly apprehensive. After a moment's uncertainty, Mark held out his hand.

"Don't be a dick," Cory scoffed, seizing Mark's wrist and pulling him into a hug.

"Thought you'd still be pissed," Mark said gruffly, trying to conceal how overwhelmed he was.

"Of course I am," Cory replied, releasing him. "I'll let you make up for it. You owe me for the flowers."

"What?" Mark frowned, half-grinning at the bizarre statement.

"Minerva sends them every week," Katie raised her eyebrows. "They're beautiful...but..."

"Keeping them alive is something else," Cory said dryly, crossing his arms. "I said I'd tell her when you're back, but that family is...tenacious."

"I remember," Mark rolled his eyes, glancing down as Katie gently pulled his sleeve.

"She's just grateful you kept your promise," she said softly, her eyes shining. "Marco would be, too."

"I didn't, really. I-" Mark swallowed and looked away.

Katie smiled at him before discreetly wandering back to the house, affectionately poking Cory's bicep on the way past. Mark didn't realise how intently he watched her retreat until Cory cleared his throat, startling him.

"I won't sugar-coat it. You look like absolute hell."

"I've just been there."

"So? Is it over?"

Mark nodded, but his jaw clenched with raw emotion and the blue of his eyes darkened from cheerful sapphire to dark navy. Cory had seen that look before, though this one had a new edge to it.

"Will you talk about it?" Cory asked, uncrossing his arms.

"Later. I need liquor," Mark murmured.

"That can be arranged. I presume you're staying. I won't take 'no' for an answer."

"How's the shoulder?"

"Good as new," Cory answered, still carefully watching Mark's face.

"How is she?" Mark's eyes darted back to the house.

"Good. Better. I wish you'd called, or something."

"It wasn't safe."

Cory narrowed his eyes at Mark's facial bruising. "Are you hurt?"

"Nothing that won't mend," Mark shrugged, walking away from Cory's concerned scrutiny. He took a different path, away from the house.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Cory exclaimed, not bothering to hide his exasperation. Deliriously happy as he was in the moment, he was also terrified Mark might disappear again.

"To build a fucking snowman. It's Christmas," Mark called without turning around.

"Actually, you're late," Cory sniped.

"It's still the season for snowmen," Mark countered.

Realising his friend needed a moment, Cory smiled. "Don't give this one boobs."

Mark laughed and Cory walked by him toward the house, turning back as he reached the door.

"Mark?"

"Yeah," he replied, bracing for another vulnerable moment.

"You had me scared. I'm really glad you're back. We both are."

Mark nodded and crouched to gather a small pile of snow, his mind wandering as the door closed behind Cory.

"Me too," he muttered, carefully shaping white frost with shaking, gloved hands.

It was time he needed to recover from seeing the only two people who meant anything to him, proving bloodline meant absolutely nothing without the strength of a relationship. He had a wonderfully steadfast connection with his mother, while she lived. He knew she would have adored Katie.

Mark straightened with startled astonishment as tears dripped down his face. He hadn't cried since his mother's funeral. The rest of his life he dreaded it, terrified of being forced to endure those feelings again. But it wasn't so bad, after all. The tumultuous emotions overwhelming him didn't erode or override a comforting, peaceful sense that he was finally home.