The Review, Vol. 1, No. 7, July 1911

Story Info
9.2k words
25
00
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

JULY 1911 ***

TRANSCRIBER’S NOTES

Table of contents was created by the transcriber and is hereby placed in the public domain.

Obvious errors and omissions in punctuation have been fixed.

Any inconsistencies in spelling have been retained.

VOLUME I, No. 7. JULY, 1911

THE REVIEW

A MONTHLY PERIODICAL, PUBLISHED BY THE NATIONAL PRISONERS’ AID ASSOCIATION AT 135 EAST 15th STREET, NEW YORK CITY.

TEN CENTS A COPY. SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS A YEAR

E. F. Waite, President. F. Emory Lyon, Vice President. O. F. Lewis, Secretary and Editor Review. E. A. Fredenhagen, Chairman Ex. Committee. James Parsons, Member Ex. Committee. G. E. Cornwall, Member Ex. Committee. Albert Steelman, Member Ex. Committee. A. H. Votaw, Member Ex. Committee.

CONTENTS

PAGE The Farm Treatment of Misdemeanants 1 What Kansas City is Doing 4 Organization of Systems of Probation and Parole 6 Events in Brief 8

THE FARM TREATMENT OF MISDEMEANANTS

JAMES F. JACKSON

Superintendent of Charities and Correction, Cleveland, Ohio

The old type institution for misdemeanants failed to accomplish satisfactory results, mental, moral and physical. It seemed incapable of developing industry; it was unhygienic, without classification and with no adequate facilities for developing a man’s will or increasing his capacity to do right. There was no individualism. The old workhouse was typical of the most intensified institutionalism, and institutionalism for an adult is an assured failure. Neither the arrangements of the building nor the manner of life nor the administration were conducive to the rehabilitation of the man. The old type of workhouse was constructed to avenge the wrong and not to correct the wrong doer.

When the failure of that plan was fully recognized, people cast about for a remedy. They saw the success and satisfaction attending the location of charitable institutions in the country, and the idea of similar locations for various types of prisons occurred to them. And the cry against prison-made goods gave impetus to the movement.

The prison did seem to be the last place to make real the fact that “a man’s a man for a’ that.” But when the plowshare and the pruning hook began to supplant the stripes and the dungeon, people were certain that at last the dignity of manhood would be realized and that life and immortality were come to light.

St. Paul and Minneapolis were among the first to adopt the farm policy. Various other corrective institutions were established upon farms in foreign countries and in this country, especially within the past twenty years. One of the best institutions for misdemeanants thus established was located at Witzwyl, Switzerland, in 1891. But I wish today to speak with particular reference to Cleveland’s situation, its old workhouse and its new correction farm.

The Cleveland workhouse was constructed over forty years ago on the old lines for 500 prisoners, two miles from the centre of the city. In 1904 and 1905, about 750 acres were purchased by the city nine miles from its centre. Upon this land building was commenced several years later. Thus far there is built only the “service building” which at present fulfills all purposes. Ultimately, it is to be used for storerooms, and shops. There are also to be built dormitories for trusties and semi-trusties, cell-blocks for the least tractable, kitchens, dining rooms, a chapel, women’s industrial building, school building and a greenhouse, all within a high wall enclosing eleven acres. The present intention is that the buildings and wall shall be constructed by the labor of inmates. Unfortunately there are no funds in sight to proceed with this construction.

All commitments are made to the original workhouse in the city. There the women remain, but about two-fifths of the men are transferred to the correction farm. On a recent day the 102 men at the correction farm were assigned to work as follows: on construction of the sewage disposal plant, 24; in the stone quarry, 7; on the farm, 10; in the garden, 7; driving teams (working the farm and hauling material to the filter bed), 12; care of horses and stock, 10; to work on the adjoining infirmary farm, 10; firemen, 2; carpenter, 1; barber, 1; and in the preparation and serving of the meals and care of the buildings and grounds, 18. Some of these last eighteen are unable to do heavy work, but all have fresh air and sunshine daily. At other times men do concreting, making artificial stone, fertilize and drain the land, which is not fertile, make roads on the farm and later they will construct the wall and buildings, plant trees and perform every sort of labor that will develop the land, and cause it to be highly productive and attractive in appearance. I also hope that later they will make and repair the needed wagons, tools and all the smaller farm implements; in fact they now do some of that work, especially the repairing.

An apple orchard and much small fruit have just been planted under the direction of the state agricultural department. Last year by attention to pruning, spraying and smudge fires on cold nights, ours was one of the few orchards bearing fruit in all that region. Bee culture will be introduced and scientific forestation is to be developed. We are about to construct a dairy barn entirely by prison labor, that will be a model of simplicity, sanitary construction and efficiency for the neighboring country.

We propose that the farm shall gradually become a model in all respects. In fact, this year we will produce certified milk for the city and the contagious disease hospitals. We plan, as soon as possible, that the correction farm shall produce the meat, milk, vegetables and fruit, both fresh and canned, for the entire workhouse and the public hospitals, while the adjoining infirmary farm will render similar service for its own use and that of the growing tuberculosis sanatorium.

From the standpoint of the prisoner, the farm policy is to give to each man the largest degree of liberty consistent with the well-being of others. The ultimate purpose is to employ as many without the walls as possibly can be trusted, and to employ out-of-doors within the walls all the remainder except those whose conduct imperatively demands closest supervision.

For years there will be work for all workers, no “idle-house” in any sort of weather or trade conditions. Every working day from twelve to twenty men are sent to work on the adjoining infirmary farm. Such transfer was one of the purposes of placing the infirmary on a great contiguous tract of land. But the plan works to the detriment of the correction farm which for years and perhaps always can use to advantage the labor of all men committed to its care. No key is turned on these men during the day. The night guard and the locked door are more to remove temptation than to prevent escape. You realize this when you know that all these men, instead of sleeping in stuffy cells, sleep in large dormitories, giving them every facility for overpowering the night watch and making their escape. Prisoners arrive a typical bridewell company, drunken, dirty, diseased and discouraged. They go away bronzed, with regular habits of living, accustomed to work, with a new determination and a new grip. Of course some fail, and return. But we do not assume to insure immunity against all the wiles of the world, the flesh and the devil.

Americans seem in constant search for a cure-all. There is a great demand for some hobby for the alert philanthropist to ride. In their order institutionalism, organized charity, juvenile courts, medical charities and country life have had their turn in the spot light. Each is efficient but all together are not sufficient. It is urged that if a convict be sent out under the blue sky to breathe God’s pure air, behold green fields and hear the birds sing from the swaying boughs he will become as one of the best citizens, especially if he digs in the dirt. But unfortunately the country does not afford the alchemy which converts men into angels. This is amply attested by the record of most diabolical crimes committed by country-bred men who would not know an elevator from a subway. The farm prison is no panacea, but it is tremendously worth while.

The men do not wear stripes in either prison. Consideration is combined with firmness in all our dealings, for it is the purpose that every requirement shall appeal to the fair-minded prisoner to be in his interest and for his benefit.

From the experience of the Cleveland correction farm several rather obvious deductions may be made; we are dealing with men, free moral agents, and a good physical environment does not guarantee their reform any more than does instruction in good rules for living.

We have learned that men are sent to the House of Correction for a purpose. These men have faults to be corrected. These defects in the human mind are to be corrected and no ordinary workhouse sentence will effect a cure of such defects as are hereditary or fully acquired. There is some concealed materialism abroad under the guise of environment, but the rankest exponent of environment should not expect to cure twenty years of bad surroundings accompanied by indifferent or bad actions even by a ninety day period on a farm. And ninety days is in excess of the average period of confinement, although Cleveland “golden rule policies” do not burden us with five, ten or fifteen day men.

Our first appeal is to their sense of honor. Their appreciation of the confidence reposed in them often proves a potent influence for good. The transfer to the farm is such an expression of confidence. But it is given with discretion. Hardened criminals are not sent on distant missions unattended. In fact they are rarely transferred to the farm.

As a part of their teaching the misdemeanants need discipline. It is necessary to keep the men on the farm for some time if they are to receive the needed development, especially the men who are sent for intoxication. Discipline is essential to instruction whether in the day school, the home or any other form of education. Many of these men are committed because of their lack of self-control and time is required for its development. We have learned that the men need to be taught the habit of industry and how to do some particular thing well. This is for their good while they are on the farm, and it is essential after they return to their homes. We have learned that not all men can be trusted, and we believe it has a bad influence on a man to attempt to get away, so we make him feel the bad result when he is caught. And the police are faithful to help catch deserters. Personality is a big factor; one man will accomplish far more with and for prisoners than another.

The farm does build up the body of the anaemic; it gives a good physical development. Moreover, the habit of industry can very much better be taught where results are being achieved on the farm than where work is being done at little or no profit in a factory. And efficiency is better developed on the farm. The farm has a direct physical value and an indirect mental and moral value. It clears a man’s mind and allows him to think straight. It affords a foundation for developing the spiritual structure, though of itself it will only slightly develop one mentally or morally. The man is now physically well, having had lessons in life. Here is the opportunity to further develop his will in order that he may do right. Looking to that end, we have introduced the regular presentation of the gospel in an orderly way. We intend to teach by example, but we need an official who shall be recognized by the prisoners as their friend, one who shall know them and make it his exclusive business to help them establish the desire to do right and aid them to be able to fulfill that desire. This seems one of the unsolved problems in Cleveland and in nearly all such institutions.

We have the parole system in operation, though there is not help enough for its most efficient execution. There is the Brotherhood Club for the men who have no home to which to go, established at the suggestion of a former prisoner. There a man may stay until he appears strong enough to live a normal life. The club is intended to be self-sustaining.

In my opinion, the country is the place for the misdemeanant, for the very obvious reason that it affords plenty of light, pure air, a variety of good food and wide opportunity for productive occupation for the prisoners. There, work is purposeful, not a time-killer. They work, eat, sleep, have recreation and religious teaching, all under approximately normal conditions. Every man is treated with kindness and consideration; discipline is not on parade. In short, the prisoner is treated like a man and to the extent that there is manhood in him it will come out. The purpose is to develop honor and faithfulness, to accustom every man to useful occupation and to teach him to be effective. The officers are not armed, they are not even called guards. In fact, they act as teachers, foremen, or farmers as the occasion requires.

There is so much work to do in developing, enriching and cultivating the land, in erecting buildings, in making roads, that every feasible labor-saving machine is used. This of itself speaks to the man the appreciation of his work as a man and not a substitute for a machine.

The hope is that the farming and the making of its equipment, and incidentally the care of the prisoners and their quarters, will profitably occupy practically all the available labor in such manner as to make a man not only fit but anxious to work. It is hoped that a large majority will be improved and many rehabilitated in an environment which favors giving every man all the chance he will use to reform. Moreover, it will thereby be apparent that the government is not only strong, but so merciful and so genuine in its fatherly desire to help each man that in turn he will cease to be “agin” the government; that he will turn from being a consumer to become a producer of taxes, turn from being his own and other’s enemy to become a friend to men.

WHAT KANSAS CITY IS DOING

E. K. BINGHAM

Superintendent Helping Hand Institute, Kansas City, Mo.

Kansas City made great strides toward a better handling of its misdemeanants when it created a new municipal department called the Board of Public Welfare, and placed its correctional institutions under its control. The board at first was appointed by the mayor, it is self-elective and some of its members were social workers, some broad-minded business men, and its first president was a most excellent organizer, a philanthropist and a man of great personal devotion to the cause of humanity.

The newspapers unanimously supported its policies and consequently it received the popular indorsement which freed it from political handicaps. These facts have been the combination which accomplished results which were unusual in its less than two years existence. Its pivotal activity has been a farm colony (which of course we all agree is the indispensable feature of effective correctional work). Of course, also, like other farms, it builds up the under-nourished, gives care to the physically unfit, and also, whether by farm work or in learning a trade, the work habit which is acquired helps largely in rekindling the spark of ambition in the man whom repeated failure has utterly robbed of the power of initiation and confidence in himself. Another help is that no man is ever released penniless, but is allowed to earn something during the last few days of his imprisonment. But the greatest factor which has contributed to a more successful handling of cases has been the emphasis placed upon the individual man. A careful personal record system with daily notations of a prisoner’s conduct and facts concerning his mental, moral and physical condition permits a scrutiny and a kind of helpfulness otherwise impossible.

The records also are examined by a parole committee of three members which meets weekly and recommends certain paroles to be acted upon by the Board of Welfare. A representative of the parole committee visits the “holdovers” at five o’clock each morning, talks with each prisoner, and makes out record cards which are taken into the municipal court by this same representative, who, sitting beside the judge, is frequently asked for information when prisoners are brought in, his record often deciding the sentence imposed.

Forty-six per cent. of the commitments for 1910 were paroled--or 1,660 persons--of whom 150 were returned to custody. Nine parole officers confirm the records by weekly visits to the homes or places of employment, and a woman friendly visitor looks after the needs of prisoners’ families during their imprisonment and also during the prisoner’s parole. From non-support paroled men $8,346.21 was collected and paid over to the dependent families.

During the past winter it occurred to me that the city needed an inspector of the unemployed, a policeman without a club, who should go every day among the homeless men in the lodging houses, saloons and on the street and talk with them, directing them to pay jobs if possible, or if not, directing them to the municipal quarries in the parks, which were operated to provide work to the unemployed, for 150 to 340 men a day earning meal and lodging tickets there at the usual rate paid for rock cracking. Or if the man was found to be making no effort to find work, after several days this officer, being familiar with the facts, could arrest for vagrancy. This idea was suggested to a police commissioner and an inspector of the unemployed was appointed. In addition to the above duties, he goes into municipal court each day, appearing as an advocate of many homeless men, a class so often unjustly accused and arrested on circumstantial evidence. His desk is in the employment office which is financed by the Board of Welfare, but is managed by and is in the Helping Hand Institute (a private charity which the Board of Welfare uses as a municipal lodging house for meals and lodging for all dependent cases.) The seven hundred men per day who lodge there are practically under the eye of this inspector of the unemployed, and the deterrent effect for the misdemeanant is evident.

Among other classes of misdemeanants that Kansas City is reaching is the lodging house keeper, his misdeeds being brought to light by the housing inspection now in progress.

The endorsement of the Charities Bureau, or rather the lack of its endorsement, is eliminating the unwise free soup charities and the soliciting frauds--these are of course among the very harmful offenders because of the shiftlessness which they promote. At the suggestion of this Bureau the police have stopped the practice of women soliciting money in saloons.

Another class is handled by the Recreation Department of the Board of Welfare, as evidenced by the dance hall inspection. For every public dance a license must be secured from this recreation department. This department then sends an inspector to each dance to learn if all its rules are being observed. These inspectors also keep a sharp lookout for young girls and learn their names and addresses. These names are turned over the next morning to the supervisor of police matrons who sends one of her assistants to call on the parents of the girl to inform them where their daughter was the evening previous. Many times the parents had not known of the facts, or had been deceived by the girls. Such supervision can but bring about good results.

The Free Legal Aid Bureau averages about 400 cases per month, prosecutes wife deserters and has brought them in many instances home from other states. The Welfare Loan Agency during its few months of existence has eliminated several of those detestable misdemeanants, loan sharks.