The Rogue Knight

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A steel gray tabby cat lounged on the windowsill opposite the door. Vesian looked into the back room where the witch practiced alchemy, and then into the loft, but there was no sign of her. He turned and left the house.

"She must be out," he called to Thibault as he made his way back through the brush. "I can see neither hide nor hair---"

He stopped, for standing next to Thibault was the witch, Aines. She was pale and pretty, with blue eyes and light brown hair. She wore a dress of dark red wool, slit on the left side to expose a white leg in black leather boots. Her hair was braided, tied with a thick red cord, and thrown over her shoulder where it fell to just above her narrow waist.

Thibault was shirtless, exposing his wounded back while Aines checked his dressing.

"Who dressed this for you?" she asked in disgust.

"Vesian. And two tavern girls," Thibault answered, fixing his eyes on Vesian as he drew close.

"Didn't the Order ever teach you how to dress a wound?" she asked, turning her pretty blue eyes to look on Vesian.

"A fine hello to you, too," Vesian replied. "Did you hear us coming?"

"Not much use in being a witch if you can't know when people are coming unbidden to your home. Usually, it's peasants looking to cure an itch or replenish their supply silphium elixir, but sometimes more interesting people come by. Though they never just want to talk. You always have some ulterior motive."

"Such as saving my squire's life," Vesian said.

"Such as saving your squire's life indeed. Though Deiche has blessed me, I happen to have need of a knight right now. A favor for a favor?"

"Seeing as you're already treating Thibault, I don't suppose I need to barter but I can't turn away a woman in need. A favor for a favor it is."

"Fate is on my side today. Come in, Thibault. Vesian, tie up the horses and join us when you're done." Supporting Thibault on her shoulder, Aines helped the squire into the house while Vesian did as told. With the horses tied up and fed, he followed Aines into the house.

She had settled Thibault onto the floor before the fire. Undressing his wounds, she threw aside the old bandage and climbed into the loft for a replacement. Vesian sat next to Thibault and checked the wound. It looked worse than it had the night before.

"It's not as bad as it looks," Thibault insisted.

"I know," Vesian replied. "Still, we're in the right place."

"What is she going to ask you to do?" Thibault whispered. "Mother told me never to make a deal with a witch."

"I've dealt with her before. It won't be anything I can't bear."

Thibault nodded, though he seemed unconvinced. Aines returned with a fresh bandage and a pouch of reagents. She knelt by Thibault as she applied the bandage.

"There, that will hold for now. I'll make you a potion, so stay here."

"When will he be ready to travel again?" Vesian asked. "We're on the way to Chateau Valeur."

"He should stay the night," Aines said, disappearing into the backroom. From within, the sounds of bottles clinking and a mortar grinding could be heard. "It will give you time to perform your favor for me."

"Oh?" Vesian replied, suddenly interested. He went to the door to her alchemy laboratory and looked in. "And what favor would that be?"

Aines turned to look at him. Her mouth crooked in a wry smile.

"If you're good," she teased, "though I can smell another woman on you. Perhaps that explains why your tavern girls applied the bandage so poorly. But no, I need you to kill something for me."

"Oh." Vesian was disappointed. "Has a peasant been stealing from your herb garden?"

"A simple hex would do for that," Aines replied, casting some ground up ingredients into a small cookpot over the alchemy table. "There is a tomb nearby where mandrake roots grow, and I've nearly run through my stock. I went to get more last week, but it seems that a basilisk has moved in."

"You want me to slay a basilisk?" Vesian asked in surprise.

"I'll give you a potion that will render you immune to its deathly gaze, though I can do nothing about its claws and talons. Will your mail stop them?"

"I should hope so." Vesian thought back to all the tales of basilisk-slayers. How many of them mentioned their armor? How many of them came home with mail that was battered or rent? He could not remember. Only the glorious details of the tales stuck out. At least some of them came home, he thought.

"I will do it," he announced, and Aines scoffed.

"You've already agreed to it, so you don't have much choice." She spoke off-handedly, her attention focused on the boiling ingredients in her still.

"Where is this tomb?"

"It is not far, but in the thickest part of the wood. I will take you to it once Thibault's wound is treated. Which will be imminent." Aines poured the contents of her still into a phial and pushed her way past Vesian into the front room. Kneeling next to Thibault, she pushed the elixir into his hands and commanded him to drink. Unsure of himself, the squire looked to Vesian for reassurance. Vesian nodded, and Thibault drank.

"Lie before the fire and rest up now," Aines commanded, "We will return soon enough and tomorrow you will be ready to ride again."

"You're going to slay a basilisk without me?" Thibault asked, concerned.

"Don't worry," Vesian reassured him, "Aines will not let me fall." Thibault was unconvinced but said no more. Aines took her pack from its hook on the wall and looked to Vesian.

"Let's go," she ordered, and with a hurried goodbye to Thibault, Vesian departed from the house. After seeing to the horses, they plunged into the forest down another shaded and twisting path. Aines pressed a hard pace, leaving Vesian behind more than once as he fought he way through the thick vines and brambles that she somehow slipped through. He drew his longsword to hack his way through the undergrowth, but Aines stopped, turned, and fixed him with a hard stare.

"Do not disturb the wood and it will not disturb you," she cautioned seriously. Sheepishly, Vesian sheathed his sword again, casting wary looks at the trees around him. Aines understood his reasons, however, and slowed her pace enough that he kept up. After much walking along the gloomy trail, Vesian dared to speak aloud.

"What would you have done about this basilisk without me?"

"I have little doubt that some other knight would have eventually stopped by. In any case, there are other sources of mandrake root, though more expensive and distant."

"Do a lot of knights stop by here?"

"Some. Not all stay away for as long as you."

"Has it truly been so long?"

"Four years since I last saw you. Did I chase you away so easily?"

"It's not that. I've had business elsewhere in the kingdom."

"So it would seem. How long since you ceased to be a squire? And in all that time, you never stopped by?"

"I did not know that you expected me."

"It reveals something about you that you would stay away so long, only to reappear when your squire is near death."

"If I had known this awaited me, I would have let him die," Vesian groused, only to be slapped in the face by a branch that Aines pushed aside.

"I doubt that very much. You never could say no to someone in need of help."

Vesian smiled to himself as they continued in silence. The trail was long and winding, but eventually Aines indicated to slow his pace. The wood thinned out up ahead, and she dropped to a low crouch. They crept into a wide clearing, still shaded by overhanging brush. Though a patch of brambles concealed them from the center of the glade, Vesian could see through it to the opening of an old tomb. The tomb's open entrance was set in the side of a grassy mound, stop which the mandrake root was growing. Worn gray stone framed the gloomy opening that was draped in old vines, some freshly cut away.

At the center of the clearing was the basilisk. It was a great gray-brown beast, nearly twelve feet from snout to tail. Its scaly hide was mottled and wrinkled while its sinuous tail was tipped with fearsome barbs. The creature lay on its stomach, head resting in the tall grass of the glade.

It was immediately apparent that the monster was dead. Three great wounds in its flank dripped blood into pools in the grass, which was pocked in places by what looked to have been a great duel.

"You work fast," Aines quipped quietly from behind the thicket.

"Damn," Vesian muttered, "I was looking forward to claiming the glory for myself. Who could have done this?"

Aines shrugged. "There are bold enough knights in the realm. This beast has not been here long so word cannot have traveled far. But wait, I hear voices from within the tomb."

They pressed themselves flat against the grass as they waited in silence. Vesian soon heard the voices as well. They drifted up slowly from the depths of the tomb, accompanied by torchlight. Shadows appeared in the doorway.

Four men rose from the depths. To Vesian's relief, they were all living. Two had the appearance of common bandits, dressed in gambesons and iron skullcaps. The third was a one-eyed dwarf in brigandine who carried a two-bladed axe over his shoulder. But the fourth was a man Vesian knew. He was tall, middle-aged, and dressed in a plain black surcoat and worn mail. His shield, hung over his back, was similarly painted black and marked by the basilisk's claws.

"I know him," Vesian hissed, "he is Almaric de Condorce. He was expelled from the order for cowardice and thievery."

"Thievery, yes. But the cowardice I am not sure of," Aines replied, her eyes passing over the dead monster. Vesian peered closer at the men. Almaric held in his hands an ancient helmet, no doubt taken from the tomb. While worn and dusty, it was still a splendid piece of craftsmanship and likely worth a tidy sum to an unscrupulous buyer.

"I suppose once your brothers all think you a coward, tomb robbing is not so unthinkable," the witch continued. Vesian scowled in response. The thieves ambled slowly into the middle of the clearing, continuing their conversation and oblivious to Vesian and Aines' presence.

"Let's get moving now," the dwarf grumbled, "I've had enough of this damned forest."

"Oh, come off it," one of the other men laughed, "I was only joking about the spiders." The dwarf glared at his companion before his eyes went to Almaric.

"I want to get this relic to the buyer so we can get paid in full. There's a few pretty girls in Bordonne with my name on their asses."

"You will get paid," Almaric promised. "Just worry about getting us there in one piece." He pulled a cloak from his pack and draped it over his shoulders. Pulling the cowl about his face, he looked at the helmet again. "There's no telling who we will encounter on the roads."

The other three exchanged looks before gathering up their things from within the tomb and extinguishing their torches. Still unaware they were being watched, the four thieves shouldered their heavy packs and leisurely strode off into the wood on a different path.

After waiting some time to ensure they were truly gone, Vesian and Aines emerged from hiding. Aines went right away to the basilisk and began to capture its draining blood in small vials. Vesian studied the beast himself, inspecting the sword wounds in its side. A pair of quarrels protruded from its head, near the eye. He examined the beast's underbelly, looking for a vulnerable spot should he have to battle one in the future. As Aines began to remove the beast's eyes with a small knife, Vesian ceased his study and went to the door of the tomb.

The door had been bound with bands of iron that had broken open by the thieves in their plundering. Beyond the door, a narrow stair wound down into the earth's depths. Vesian peered into the gloom until Aines came to his side. Picking up a branch from the ground, she spoke a word of magic power and a small star winked into existence on the end of the branch. With a slight smile, she handed the torch to Vesian and went back to the basilisk. His torch held aloft, Vesian slowly descended the steps into the tomb.

The stairs wound around themselves twice until the let out into a small crypt. A stone sarcophagus lay before a modest altar, its stone lid carelessly heaved aside. Within the sarcophagus was an ancient skeleton, still clad in its old and rusting mail. An iron sword was clutched in its bony hands. Brushing away the centuries of dust, Vesian examined the inscription above the altar. The script was old and worn, but he was able to make out enough. This man had been a great warrior in life.

As he turned to leave, he heard a sound behind him. Dreading what he would see, he turned back to the sarcophagus, only to find the ancient skeleton had raised itself to a sitting position and was looking directly at him. The empty sockets stared into his own eyes and Vesian felt the cold eyes of death upon him. The skeleton opened its mouth, old jawbones creaking with age.

"Mine..." it hissed, "taken from me..."

"Yes, you were robbed," Vesian agreed in a voice that was entirely too calm to be his own. "By a traitor knight and common bandits."

"Reclaim... mine own..." Vesian shuddered under the skeleton's terrible gaze.

"I will restore to you what is yours," he replied.

"Good... else I will rise... and know no rest until I reclaim it myself" the skeleton hissed as it sank back into the sarcophagus. "Return to me ere the moon turns..." it gasped and then moved no more.

Vesian shook himself and then turned and headed up the stairs as fast as he could. He tried to calm himself before he reached the surface but he could tell as soon as he stepped out into the glade that Aines knew something had happened. She knelt atop the grassy mound, digging mandrake roots out of the dirt and stashing them in her pack.

"Did you find anything?" she asked in a tone that indicated she already knew the answer.

"The dead wake," Vesian replied, still shaken despite his best efforts. "The warrior who rests here wants his stolen property back."

"Well, you had better get it. A revenant could cause much havoc if it wakes. I suppose you knights could slay it, but I'd rather dispense justice to thieves than go slaying revenants in search of their own."

"Well, it seems I have no choice. I will bring the helm back before the moon turns."

"You'll return here that soon?" Aines mocked, "I have my doubts."

Vesian stepped close, looking up the little hill to her. He smiled flirtatiously.

"Aye, I've many things left undone here."

"Indeed," Aines mused. She closed her pack and dusted off her hands. "As it so happens, I am done here. We should get back to the house before your squire sets the place on fire."

Vesian fell in behind her. They left what remained of the basilisk carcass to rot in the glade, Aines having no more use for it. Were he accompanied by Thibault, Vesian thought to skin the beast and sell the hide, but it was a task too much for him alone.

Aines led his back through the narrow and gloomy path to the hut, stopping every short while to look over her shoulder to verify that he was still behind her. He had an easier time making his way back, and they reached the house as the sun dropped low in the sky. The horses were still where Vesian had left them and after tending to them once again, he went into the house.

Thibault was still lying before the fire, sharpening his sword with a whetstone. Aines stood over the hearth, tending to the cookpot.

"All went well?" Thibault asked.

"In a manner of speaking. The basilisk is dead, Aines has her mandrake. But you and I have a new mission."

He told Thibault of the rogue knight and his band of grave-robbers, along with the revenant's demand.

"We should leave at once," Thibault said, beginning to rise. "We must catch him before he can sell the helm and slip away."

Aines put a steadying hand on his chest.

"Calm yourself. You should rest the night and then you can begin your search in the morning. Here, have something to eat." She pressed a bowl of stew into his hands and stared him down until he ate. The three of them ate together as the sun went down. Once finished, Thibault settled in before the fire for the night. After tending to the horses one last time, Vesian returned to prepare his own bed for the night. Aines began climbing to the loft when she saw him lay out his blanket on the floor.

"Sleep down here if you like," she said, pausing on the ladder, "but I promise you it is much more comfortable up here." Without waiting for his response, she climbed the rest of the way into the loft. Smiling to himself, Vesian climbed the ladder after her.

In the loft, Aines had laid herself out on her furs. Reclining on one elbow, she watched Vesian climb into the loft to join her. He shed his armor and clothing as she watched with interest.

"I remember this," Vesian said softly as he burrowed into the furs beside her. "I remember it very well."

"And why is that?" she asked, sliding her dress off her shoulder to reveal a round, white breast.

"I like the flowers you have by the window," Vesian replied, pointing to a pot of flowering herbs that hung outside her loft window.

"Well, let us forget this and I'll give you a lesson in horticulture," she said, putting her dress back on. Vesian laughed and pulled it down again. He leaned in to kiss her and she pulled him close.

"It's not every day a handsome knight comes by," she complained quietly. "I must make the most of every opportunity."

"And how would you like to make the most of this opportunity?" Vesian asked, caressing her exposed breast. In reply, Aines reached out to stroke his cock. Vesian offered it to her, taking the opportunity to undress her further. Her pale skin shone by the light of the fire filtering up from below. Aines pulled him closer until she could put his cock in her mouth. Moaning with pleasure, Vesian slid his fingers inside her wet sex. He stared into her sky-blue eyes as she sucked, her tongue deftly working around the head.

"I should have invented a reason to come back here years ago," Vesian whispered to her. Aines only laughed, her round breasts shaking with the motion. Vesian reclaimed his cock from her clutches and she smiled, expecting more.

He lay himself atop her and inserted his cock. She was warm and wet, her silky smooth insides embracing his hard cock as Aines wrapped her arms around him, her fingernails digging into his back. He began to thrust, slowly at first, but building speed as he went. Aines clutched him close, showering his face with kisses, and wrapped her legs around his hips.

"Don't stop," she whispered into his ear. He obeyed, wrapping himself in her arms and her furs as he fucked harder. She dug her fingernails into his hair, holding his head above her so that she could look into his eyes as he came.

Vesian shuddered as he finished inside her, feeling suddenly weak in his arms. Aines smiled.

"My sweet knight," she whispered, kissing him on the lips once more. "It's good to see you again."

Vesian made no reply, only panting with the exertion. Aines rolled over on her side and Vesian embraced her from behind. Holding on to her, he let himself fall into a deep and satisfied sleep.

Thibault was much improved the following morning and in no time at all, they were ready to depart. Aines emerged from her hut and put two phials into Vesian's saddlebags.

"If you do meet the revenant again, you'll each want to drink this. It will ward against its rotting touch."

"Your generosity is appreciated," Vesian replied, kissing her cheek. "With luck, we will see you within the month."

"Don't stay away too long," Aines replied. She returned Vesian's kiss and then crossed to kiss Thibault on the cheek as well. "Good luck to you both and keep safe."

With a smile and a wave, she went back into the house and the two men set off down the narrow and twisting path. After more winding, they emerged once again on the main road.