The Runesmith Chronicles Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then there was Eludora, still just a seed but his daughter all the same. By Aradelle and Ikuno's description it would be some years before he would even get a chance to meet her and even then she would have access to all of the knowledge Aradelle gave her so there would be no 'growing up' period. He chuckled quietly as the thought came to him of standing in front of a sapling with a sword in hand and runes flaring brightly as he defended his daughter from some rampaging beast, the image was comical, but he knew it was the truth if the situation were to ever arise. Looking down at his bracers he knew it wouldn't be much of a fight if he stopped where he was now and gave up, the thought of fighting off a rampaging beast wasn't nearly as comfortable when the image was him standing there with a pitchfork.

What about Gerda's sisters' children if he went that route, or if they timed things wrong with visiting the harpy and he ended up having a daughter there as well. Would he visit them? Of course, he would, same as with Eludora. Would he care about them? Again, the answer was obvious. Would they grow up knowing who their father was and knowing that he cared about them even though he couldn't be there with them all the time, instead of some nameless guy picked off an empty road that was never spoken of again? More importantly, could he take the first part of that question and be happy with that as his new definition of being a father and do his best to make his occasional visits with his children memorable? He felt he had his answer to Ikuno's question.

He turned around to go back to the cavern and ran straight into Gerda.

"Ow," he said rubbing his nose where it ran into her forehead. With her drawing power from the ground, walking into her had been very similar to running into a rock wall. "How long have you been behind me Gerda?"

"A long while, Ikuno sleeps thought I'd tell you, in case you don't want to wake her, was very upset. Crying."

Kal glanced down at her feet wondering how on earth she had managed to be so quiet but more important was Ikuno, "Why was she crying?"

"Thought you might choose father over her. Idea hurt her badly. Here" Gerda placed a rocky hand over her heart.

Kal started back towards the cavern, Gerda's footsteps thudding along beside her "Foolish woman, as if I could let her go. She was right though I've had to change what my definition of being a father is going forward, giving up such old dreams was hard but I think Ikuno and Aradelle and you are worth it."

"Ikuno's worth it, you love her. You don't love me and I don't love you, though I know I'm yours now. Only known each other days, so no love yet."

"'Yet' is the key word there, give it time."

---

"Hello, beautiful," said Kal as Ikuno opened her eyes, "I have some bad news," her face just started to cloud up when he said, "You're stuck with me."

"You ass!" she yelled sitting up.

"That was pretty mean of me, but you were being a complete bitch to me earlier so I'm calling it even."

"So, you got everything figured out?" she asked

"Yes."

"This means you're giving up on fatherhood?"

"No."

She gave him a questioning look, "You're not giving up on being a father?"

"Yes."

"Are you giving up magic?"

"No.

"You're playing some game, aren't you?

"Yes!

Her eyes narrowed, "Do you still love me?"

He thought she had caught him but then he rolled his eyes and gave her a very sarcastic, "Nooooo."

Ikuno kept glaring at him, "Well played."

They both laughed for a moment before Ikuno got serious again, "What have you decided?"

Kal took a deep breath, "You were right I was deluding myself thinking that I could have this perfect father/daughter, father/son relationship like I had always wished my father had with me growing up. The conclusion I came to is that my children will grow up knowing that they have a father out there that cares about them and will visit whenever he can, instead of some nameless dalliance. You said it was a luxury for Aradelle and Eludora to have that. I plan on giving that tiny luxury to each of my children," he said smiling.

"You're okay with this?" she asked suspiciously.

"I had to redefine what being a father meant to me but yes, I'm fine with it."

"If you never get the chance to go back and visit?"

"that would be sad but they would still grow up knowing that I care about them."

"What about if you have tons and tons of kids out there."

"Easy, we will name them 'Generation Kal'," he said as Ikuno shook her head smiling.

"I guess it's about time to get out of here," said Kal looking about the cavern.

Ikuno looked over at Gerda as Kal collected his pack and cloak, "Could you take us home? The path I used to get here will take many hours and then we will have to cross back over to the south side of the mountains."

"I don't know south, take to surface, point way."

Ikuno spoke as Kal finished getting ready, "If the sun moves from east to west then eep!--"

Once Kal was ready, Gerda took him by the hand then grabbed Ikuno's as she was explaining compass directions and pulled her off the moss bedding.

"Close eyes," she said then all three of them immediately sunk into the ground. They moved downward for just a moment then began moving upwards at an angle, Kal's wonder at the strange feeling of having rock move around his body like water warred with his anxiety at what would happen to him if Gerda ever let go.

The trio rose up out of the ground onto the trail, except for Ikuno whose feet got stuck because she was too tall, Gerda had to leave her feet embedded in the stone for a moment then lift her up by the hips to get the oni's feet free.

Looking both directions Ikuno pointed back towards her home, "We need to go that way, there's a cave by the foot of the mountains, that's my home" she said.

Gerda nodded and took Ikuno's hand but Kal pulled his away, standing off to one side and trying to get his panic and breathing under control he said, "I'm don't think I can do that again. I know you are strong Gerda, but what happens if you let go or my hand slips out of yours?"

"Be calm, I will come back," replied the golem and extended a hand to him, "Won't go yet, take," she said.

Kal hesitantly took the offered hand, the rocky side of her face grew down her neck and made its way down her human arm, as it reached her hand the rocks covered Kal's as well. "Can't let go now," she tugged on his arm, "You will be safe," Gerda said as the rocky hand Ikuno was holding onto did the same.

Kal took a deep steadying breath and nodded. Ikuno, Kal, and Gerda all sunk down into the stone of the mountain once again and through the golem's powers moved through tons upon tons of rock as she took them home.