The Runesmith Chronicles Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry Azrin, but she att..."

"Leave," he said without looking up, his voice choked with grief, "get your things and get out. The servant who came and got me told me she attacked you first but that didn't mean you had to kill her. If I ever see you again I swear I will do whatever necessary to see you dead at my feet. Leave."

Ikuno opened her mouth to speak but thought better of it. No, she hadn't needed to take Midora's life, however, she had learned early on in her travels that it was unwise to leave people alive who had tried to kill you. Two years thinking about that particular mistake while rebuilding her lifeforce enough make a new body was a hard lesson.

With a sigh the oni turned and walked out of the arena, leaving her former lover to mourn his sister.

---

"After that, I packed up and left," said Ikuno before taking a deep steadying breath.

"I can understand why you didn't want to talk about it before." Kal reached out and took her hand bringing it to his lips and kissing the back before giving it a small squeeze and letting go. The difference in their heights didn't make walking hand in hand feasible.

Ikuno smiled down at him, appreciative of the gesture. "As I said before that happened ages ago. Knowing how long you humans live he would have died about the time that I came to live here."

"That statement is false," said Ria from Kal's shoulder.

Ikuno and Kal both stopped dead and looked at the sprite.

"You mean he isn't dead?" asked Ikuno.

"No, that part was true, he most certainly died. It was the timeframe that was false, he must have been still been alive when you came to live here. Wherever here is."

Ikuno breathed a sigh of relief, her and Kal started walking again as Kal looked over at Ria. "You can tell if someone is lying even if they don't know they are lying?"

"Most times," said the bag's avatar, "For instance, you get hurt and you send Ikuno to get a potion from me I can determine that you did request the potion and give it to her. Now add someone else in who lies and tells Ikuno that you were hurt but is just trying to get the potion. I can still tell what she is saying is false even though she didn't know it, which makes it very useful. Just so we're clear, normally I wouldn't have said anything, but you specifically asked for my input."

"I appreciate that, even if you did tell us in a way that scared the hell out of me for a minute," said Ikuno. "It actually makes me feel a bit better to know that Azrin lived to a ripe old age."

Seeing the smile on Ikuno's face, Ria decided to keep to herself that something was wrong with what the oni had just said.

---

Wood clacked against wood in Ikuno and Kal's latest exchange out in the clearing in front of the oni's cave. Kal's staff felt extraordinarily light even though when it contacted something like the wooden batons Ikuno was using it seemed to hit with the force of something far heavier.

"I must say you are surprisingly good with that, Kal," said the oni, stepping back.

He looked at the staff in his hand, "It's probably the closest thing to a real weapon I have any experience with. I always took a walking stick with me when I would check my fur traps in the winter. It's kind of necessary when you need to beat off some animal who has found an easy meal in one of your snares. Last year, after the incident with Perra's brother, I started practicing with it more as a weapon as I checked my trap runs."

"Careful what you call a 'real weapon', staves can be very effective in both offense and defense. Your practice seems to have paid off, though you should have mentioned it earlier," she said and held the ends of the batons together where they fused into a staff of her own. "We could have worked on this as well as your other training."

Kal shook his head, "I thought about it, but I wanted to focus on the hand-to-hand part before throwing anything else into the mix."

"Speaking of which," Ikuno looked over towards the cave entrance and the small bag with a ghostly sprite sitting on it. "Ria could you store this please?" she said tossing the staff in her direction. With a wave, the oni's staff turned into a mote of light and flew into the mouth of the bag as the sprite held it open. Kal was about to do the same until Ria held up a hand and stopped him.

"One moment, Master Kal. That staff belonged to a party member of my former master. Since you appear to be planning on using it as a weapon, would you like to know more about it?"

Kal's eyes lit up, "By all means."

"My former master identified it as 'Everyman's Polearm'" said Ria.

"Polearm?" asked Kal.

"'Sword on a stick' as I heard one soldier call them," quipped Ikuno. "However, polearms are more than that and include halberds, spears, and tridents."

Ria nodded, "The gold cap is the bottom of the staff and the platinum one will change into whatever polearm you might need. All you have to do is speak the name of the weapon you are wanting."

Kal looked at the staff in his hand with new appreciation. He was unfamiliar with the terms 'halberd' or 'trident' but he knew what a spear was. "Spear," he said to the staff and the wood immediately lengthened and the platinum tip formed into a spear point.

"Nice," said Ikuno.

Kal was decidedly impressed. "Halberd," he said and to everyone's confusion, it returned to a staff.

"What on earth?" said Ria.

Kal looked sheepish for a moment, "Um... does it matter that I don't know what a halberd is?"

"May I?" asked Ikuno holding out her hand. Kal handed it to her golden end first, she flipped the platinum end upward before saying, "Halberd." The staff again lengthened and the platinum this time formed into a small, thin, battleax on the end with a hook sticking out the other side and a spearhead coming out the top. "Apparently it does." Looking over at Ria she asked, "Is there a limit to the number of times it can change?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"Watch carefully, Kal," said the oni before launching into a long list of the different polearms she knew about and how they were used.

---

"I'm not going to remember half of those, you know that, right?" said Kal as he took his staff back. "Some of those I'm not even sure I can say properly."

"Perhaps I did overcomplicate things a bit since it seems to react more to what I was visualizing than preset patterns. Just remember, spear, blade, axe, hammer, hook, and pike. Any combination of those should cover just about anything you may need. For now, I'd suggest sticking with the staff; work with what you already know."

Kal nodded and played around with the staff's abilities for a few more minutes before tossing it to Ria for safekeeping.

Squaring off in front of Ikuno he brought his hands up and set his legs for a round of sparring with the oni.

His eyes glowed blue and a slight smile played across his lips.

"Ready."

---

"Not sure what the hell you're so damn happy about," grumbled Ikuno as she helped Kal onto her bed, his healing rune glowing brightly to repair what was most likely a cracked rib.

"I may have lost the war, but I at least won that fight," he said reaching across with his other hand to gingerly press on the injured area under his arm. His magic sight told him he still had a couple of minutes to go.

"Really? You didn't even manage to knock me down," said the oni. Inwardly, she had to give the man credit. He had lifted his arm and stepped into one of her kicks instead of just blocking it, taking a hard hit to the ribs but at the same time trapping her leg against his body. Kal had then used that to pull her forward as he landed a powerful straight kick of his own on her midriff. He'd collapsed holding his ribs immediately afterward, but his hit had been enough to stagger Ikuno, a first in their sparring matches. She told herself that she was withholding praise because she didn't want him to get a big head about it. However, deep down she knew that taking a hit like that from someone comparatively new to martial arts had hurt her pride, just a little.

"You said Gerda is going to be here with Sandy tomorrow?" Ikuno asked, happy to change the subject.

Kal sat up on the bed, "That's what it sounded like, which may be a good thing since I'm still not allowed back onto the farm yet," he said with mild annoyance, it was his farm and his home after all. "Also, I've been informed that we are getting some hired hands to help Perra out with me being gone so much."

Ikuno stopped putting things together for their midday meal and looked over at him, "That seems unfair of her, it's not like you are over here all the time."

Kal waved it off, "I think it's her monthlies talking more than anything, however, she does have a good point. Having some hired hands would free up more of my time so I could come to visit you, 'Dell, Bea, and Gerda more often, along with focusing more on my studies and training. Speaking of which, I'm going to go grab Ria from outside then spend some time in the library. I want to learn as much as I can about this Entropy she mentioned, I have a feeling it's something important."

"I'll keep working on lunch then just be sure you don't disturb any of my equipment back there, your ink should be ready to mix sometime tomorrow."

Kal nodded and looked over at the counter filled with glass tubes and jars tucked into the back corner of her library. She had explained to him the basic concepts of distilling things in order to extract their essence or purify them saying that as he got further into the runesmithing book it would become absolutely necessary when making high-quality inks, but this was the first time he had actually seen it done. In this case, she was just washing the ashes from Felli's egg repeatedly with pure water and alcohol to remove what she called 'volatile impurities' then letting the liquid distill off slowly according to the instructions in the book. Beneath the round flask with the ashes was a magic candle that would never go out until a command was spoken.

Once they got back from Silma's, Ikuno had shown Kal the hidden compartment in the bottom back corner of one of her bookshelves where she kept her own bag of holding. She had warned him that the magical leather pouch had been the property of one of the emperor's viziers back in her homeland and had developed a snobby attitude during that time. Worse yet the bag hated that he had been given to someone who wasn't of noble blood. Ikuno had warned him that he was a bit of an ass, after meeting the bag's avatar Kal had to admit that she was correct.

Based upon his experience with Ria, Kal had expected a male fairy to emerge when Ikuno held up the bag and called out "Dai." Instead, the ghostly image was greener and depicted a small man sitting cross-legged on a cloud. The little man was bald except for a braided pony-tail that sprouted from the back of his head and hung halfway down his back, he also had a large moustache with sides that touched his chin. Dai's chest was bare, but he wore a vest that seemed to sparkle as the light hit it, accompanied by pants that were so puffy Kal had a hard time not laughing when he saw them.

Despite the bag's ugly disposition, he retrieved Ikuno's alchemy table with all of the glassware she needed, though not without a plethora of snide comments accompanying each action.

Ikuno dismissed him with a scowl and looked over at Kal, "Trade?"

"Hells no."

"Damn."

---

Kal spent some time poring over books looking for something about Entropy or Cryomancers but came up empty after the first few. Ikuno coming over to wash the ashes again brought his mind to more pressing matters: his first true runes that would go on his skin. Ikuno guessed that they might have enough for three runes once everything was mixed together, Kal now had to decide what those were going to be.

His first idea had been the three that he used the most, Healing, Strength and Haste. However, the more he thought about it the more he thought some prevention or protection spells might be more useful. In the end, he settled on cure poison after a brief discussion with Ikuno about some of the worst hazards facing adventurers. Later on, he decided that cure disease would be his third, though his reasons were more personal.

Cure poison was already in the runesmithing book and just needed some improving before it was ready. Cure disease, on the other hand, was not and he had to adapt the spell from its drawn form to one that could go on his skin. His experience with the much more difficult featherfall spell proved invaluable as it only took a few hours to come up with a finished product. Testing it once he had it on a strip of leather was unpleasant but necessary.

"What's this going to do again?" he asked Ikuno as she reviewed the spell that would give him a magical disease.

"Make a bunch of itchy nasty boils all over your body," said Ikuno without looking up. Kal groaned and the oni threw a sharp look at him. "First, I've never used this spell before, so you need to keep quiet and let me concentrate so I don't mess anything up. Second, I'm taking time away from figuring out how to protect myself from being attacked again to help you with this, so a little more appreciation would be nice. Now strip, if your rune doesn't work you are going to end up with whatever's in the boils all over your clothes."

Feeling properly guilty, and slightly grossed out, Kal started removing his clothing and setting it on her stone chair. He had good reason to feel guilty. Yesterday evening after they had gotten home, and she had set up her lab, Ikuno had been almost desperate for Kal. Sadly, they didn't get to fall asleep in each other's arms like usual after making love late at night. Instead, Ikuno had gotten up and summoned her club then secured it to her hand with a strip of cloth before stating that she would be sleeping in the chair, so she didn't need to worry about rolling over and hitting him with the weapon. Between Ikuno, Perra and even his night with Silma it was the first time in a while that he had fallen asleep without someone next to him, he didn't like it one bit.

"Ready?" she asked.

Kal stood in the middle of the room, naked and holding the strip of leather with the rune on it. He took a deep breath and nodded.

It was a low-level spell that only took a few seconds to cast. Quickly enough that the spoken part didn't get the chance to take on the hollow, echoing voice he had heard from Ikuno before. Once she drew it's accompanying rune and activated it, Kal immediately began to feel the effects.

"Holy..." he whispered looking down at his arms as burning, itchy, red welts began to form. A few of the welts had already started to blister and fill with clear fluid when Kal activated his rune while saying "That's enough of that." The welts immediately stopped growing but the irritated skin was still burning and itching. With a quick motion of his fingers, the vambrace with the healing rune floated over to him, within a few seconds the discomfort was gone, his skin once again pristine and unblemished. Too pristine, he was reminded as he ran a hand over his perfectly smooth scalp with a frown.

"Ikuno..." he began to ask.

"No, I don't. However, the apothecary's wife should have what I need to make a salve that will grow it out again, I'll make you a list to take with you tomorrow. With luck, you will have a full head of hair again before Gerda and Sandy show up. Also, I'd like to make love to you while seeing your face again."

Kal gave her a questioning look, "Is that why you were so insistent on me taking you from behind when we got back?" Ikuno nodded. "I'm not looking forward to going into town tomorrow looking like this, but I'll be happy to have hair again," said Kal sighing.

"Me too. Just so you know, there'll be no playing around tonight, seeing you covered in welts and boils was a pretty big turn off."

Kal groaned.

---

Kal had never gone straight to town from Ikuno's before but he knew the area around Telsin well enough that it wasn't an issue. He came out on the road just south of the village and after flipping the hood of his cloak up, he quickly made his way to Master Jurien's and Lady Nina's.

Ikuno had been correct that Lady Nina had all of the ingredients needed for the salve. What Ikuno hadn't mentioned was that she had nimbly removed his coin-purse from his belt during a heated goodbye kiss.

"There you are Master Kal," said the salve maker placing a small jar sealed with wax on the counter. "Some of those are pretty rare ingredients so that'll be four silver."

Kal nodded and reached for his money pouch only to find it missing. He spent a few moments patting himself down in a panic wondering if he had lost it in the woods. Finally, he gave up and gave a pleading look to Jurien and Nina. "Could I bring payment by in a couple of days? I'll even throw in an extra silver."

Jurien raised an eyebrow, "Ya don't live too far from here I imagine you could run home and be back in an hour, faster if ya used your magic."

Kal fidgeted, "Perra is a bit upset with me right now, I'm not really welcome there at the moment."

Jurien and Nina both stared slack-jawed at the young wizard. Suddenly Jurien howled with laughter, leaning over the counter and pounding it with his fist.

Nina, on the other hand, looked aghast, "Good heavens, boy what did you do to her?"

"Went on a trip and left her to take care of the farm just as she was coming into her monthlies, with luck I'll be able to come home in a few days."

Jurien had nearly composed himself before erupting into another fit of laughter when he heard what Kal had said, this time dropping to his knees and holding his stomach.

Nina threw a half-hearted kick at her husband, which only made him laugh harder, "Stop it, you... What is it you're needing the salve for that you can't wait a few days?"

"Do I have to?"

"Aye we don't work on credit very often I want to know it's for a good reason," she said. Jurien was just peeking over the edge of the counter.

Kal sighed and flipped his hood back.

With a loud thump, Jurien fell over wheezing unable to hold himself upright any longer.

Nina's mouth was scrunched up in an effort to not join her husband. "You take the salve, we'll see you in a couple of days," she said pushing the jar across the counter.

Kal flipped his hood back up and quickly grabbed the jar before bolting out the door, the howling laughter of the apothecary and his wife chasing him all the way back to the forest edge.

---

"I still can't believe you stole my coin-purse," Kal grumbled as Ikuno carefully painted the salve onto his head with a small brush trying to remember exactly where his hairline had been.

The oni smiled, "Call it payment for taking me away from trying to protect myself from another attack these last couple of days. I'm not looking forward to sleeping in the chair again tonight."

Kal's shoulders slumped as guilt washed over him again. "Sorry," he mumbled.

Ikuno felt the intense guilt he was feeling through the bond and walked around in front of him. Kneeling down she put her arms around him, "No, I'm sorry. I took that too far. I only meant to tease you a bit, not to actually make you feel bad. I won't bring it up again, I promise."

Kal sighed as she pulled away, "No, you're right I should be letting you... Ikuno?" The oni had a strange look on her face like trying to remember something that was just out of her grasp.

Suddenly her face lit up, "Kal!"

"What?" he said, only slightly startled by her outburst.

"Do you remember what Silma told me before we left?" She was so excited Kal was wondering if she was about to burst.

"Something about keeping a promise?"

"Yes! I just remembered what that promise was!"