The Saga of Tallia the Unwilling Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She ran away from the still shackled rogue shouting at the Tiger-Dragon. The tactic worked in the sense that this enraged the abomination and the terror charged straight at her. As it closed, she rolled to the right and the great beast went past her like a careening war wagon.

'Fast,' thought Tallia, 'But not agile.'

The titanic monstrosity slammed headlong into the wooden wall of the arena. The beast men spectators near the shaking, cracked wall became nervous and backed away. Tallia immediately understood why. This beast was far too big for this arena. The Amazon had no doubt that if this tiger-dragon truly wanted to, it could pounce over the barricades.

The dodge did not buy Tallia much time. The creature was soon upon her once more. This time, the Amazon did not dodge but instead ran as fast as she could. The tiger-dragon pursued close behind and proved easily faster than her over open ground. But Tallia did not need to go far. As she approached the wall again, she planted the butt of her spear and pole-vaulted forward. She landed on the ledge of the low barricade that surrounded the entire fighting circle and balanced there like a cat on a fence. The tiger-dragon pounced and she dropped straight down against the barricade -- still inside the arena, but out of the path of the monster's fearsome charge. It was a risky maneuver with no tolerance for clumsiness or misjudgment, but Tallia made it look as easy as a stroll in the park. And more importantly to the Amazon, it worked.

The monster men in the stands saw their peril now and began to panic but much too late. The tiger-dragon leapt into the stepped seats and was now in and amongst the spectators. The horror was none too pleased about slamming into the stone. It hiss-roared wildly and began to slaughter every pitiful beast man within reach. The stone bleachers turned into a terrified stampede as monster-man trampled monster-man to be anywhere else but in this horror's path.

The wizard stood and screamed, "Not them, you idiot! Her! Kill her!" The great tiger-dragon paused in confusion, its four eyes burning green for a moment. It seemed wracked in agony and spat out a half-eaten rat-man.

Tallia was not waiting for the beast to abate its confusion. She ran straight towards the blood pool that had once been her first victim of the day -- the hound javelineer. He had three missiles when he entered this arena. One she had broken at the wizard's command, one the hound had broken by falling on it but one was still intact. She grabbed it up and threw it straight into the face of the confused horror. It was a good throw, accurate and powerful. But still it deflected ineffectually off its heavy draconic scale. That did not please Tallia. The creature must have at least felt the impact as the throw earned her its ire. It pounced out of the now blood-stained stands and back into the circle of the arena.

Then Tallia saw something she did not expect. The post that had once held Hilarius in chains no longer had a thief manacled to it. That wasn't surprising. She'd been dancing with the beast for what felt like ages. Instead what did take her aback, there was now a halberd sticking out from the post. Impaled on the point of the polearm was -- was that the heart of the albino hound-man? Regardless now the gory piece of meat was wearing a blonde wig, had two white pebbles for makeshift eyes, and a smear of sand for a smile. Hanging off the spear shaft was a pink dress. The gory heart-head on the halberd was wiggling provocatively and seemed to speak in a ridiculous high pitched voice.

"Hey big boy," it seemed to say, "want to do lunch?"

This oddity briefly attracted the tiger-dragon's focus and it closed warily on the weird meat-puppet, ready to pounce. To do this, the massive monstrosity turned its back on the Amazon and Tallia took her moment. She lunged forward and jammed her spear with all her might into the right back leg of the beast. Finally, she managed to find enough force to punch through its hide and scale and push the point of the spear deep into its flesh.

Here at last, she found use in Quan Jo's training. There is a joint in the back leg of every cat, whether lion or panther or tiger, where the upper bones meet the bones of the lower leg and foot. If you strike the joint hard, it shatters and the whole back leg becomes useless. This throws off a cat's balance immensely and, though they can compensate with time and practice, some of them can barely walk after such a strike. Tallia did her best to find that joint and discovered that the tiger-dragon, even though horridly mutated and changed, still shared this weakness with its natural kin.

The beast hiss-howled in intense agony at the strike. Its back leg went limp and bled prolifically. It wobbled off balance but then wheeled towards the Amazon who had retracted her spear and was lining up another strike. It presented its claws and teeth and was poised to pounce. Unfortunately, in doing so it turned its back to Hilarius who had been hiding behind the post wiggling the halberd. The rogue jammed the heavy bladed weapon into the tiger-dragon's other back leg. Hilarius strike was neither as well-aimed nor as damaging, but it still delivered a long lacerating gash to the beast's haunch.

Tallia and Hilarius were on familiar ground now. This was their favorite game back in the old days of Yaath'Xin. As soon as an opponent shifted its attention to one, they stepped back keeping their spear out and the other attacked. Three times the beast took the bait and soon its back legs were a mass of bleeding wounds and cuts of varying depth. In frustration to escape this trap, it made a painful leap straight for Tallia. The move must have been beyond painful as it used its broken leg to propel its great bulk forward into a clumsy attack

This desperation tactic caught the Amazon by surprise. She was ready for an attack, certainly, with her shield braced to counter a slash. But this great leap caused the full mass of the tiger-dragon to slam into her shield. The force sent her flying and she slammed back into the sand, the grit biting into her naked back.

The tiger-dragon was not done and continued to scrambled forward, slashing and biting in a pained frenzy of blows. It left behind a wide track of blood, gushing out from its wounded hindquarters. But this seemed to do nothing to dissuade it from its murderous purpose. Tallia only just got her shield between the beast, but still took a pounding as its slashed and pushed against the bronze. The shield of the hound-man was bowed and rent by the force of these repeated attacks.

Tallia did her best to answer this fury, jabbing at its face and shoulders with her spear. But the heavy dragon scale took this punishment. Hilarius yelled and charged at the tiger-dragon. The tiger-dragon turned and slapped the rogue with its massive swaying dragon tail. The hooked scaly limb knocked Hilarius off his feet, giving him a long scrape across his right lower leg, and sent him reeling.

However as the dragon turned its neck to look at the yelling rogue, Tallia again saw her moment. She jabbed the spear deep into the throat of the lizard. She hit the scale again but this time with enough force to penetrate. She managed in one titanic burst of Amazonian might to jam her spear deep into the throat of the tiger-dragon and out the other end. It made a gurgling hiss-howl of utter pain and blood sprayed out of the wide wound.

It thrashed wildly and Tallia was again knocked back, her spear ripped from her grasp. This time she landed badly and her head slammed into the arena floor. Her left leg had a long cut where the claws of the beast had finally caught her. The tiger-dragon clawed madly at the impaling weapon stuck in its flesh and succeeded only in making the wound wider and more ghastly. Blood spilled out like a river and finally in a great pool of its own viscera, the thing collapsed.

Hilarius found his feet once more, dazed and bleeding but alive. He ran towards the beast with his halberd out and jabbed it once more. When it no longer responded he took this as proof it was really dead and ran towards Tallia. She still lay, unmoving, amidst the sand of the arena.

Arion was still standing in his box and looked out, unbelieving, across the arena. His beloved tiger-dragon did not move. That ridiculous rogue, now naked save for a loincloth, held the battered and unmoving Tallia in his arms. The wizard considered for a moment ordering his monster-men to swarm the arena and kill them both. He watched as the rogue retrieved a tattered bit of the pink shift that the wizard had forced on him and used it as a makeshift bandage to the great leg cut on the Amazon.

Tallia then stirred as Hilarius bandaged the cut. She grimaced in pain but nodded to the rogue. She breathed heavily unable for a time to stand. But as she caught her breath, she gritted her teeth and staggered back to her feet. It was agony.

"What's next, wizard?" the Amazon cried defiantly.

The scowling sorcerer said nothing to that. Instead, the wizard whispered something to Diagoras and retreated from his private box followed by a retinue of terrified looking slaves. Arion Three-Eyes at last departed the arena, anything but pleased.

***

Sometime later, half-alive and at spear point, the exhausted Amazon was led out of the sandy circle. She left it a bloody wreck -- strewn with viscera and even the wall that surrounded it cracked or shattered in two places. She tried not to limp, but the gash in her leg made that difficult. She was surprised though when she was separated from Hilarius and her monster-men escort instead of returning her to the cell instead brought her towards the all too familiar high sanctum tower of the wizard.

At the great door where Tallia and her friends had killed four guards only the day before, were now four more guards and Diagoras. A slave girl, glassy-eyed, fair and topless, was also there holding a robe of blue silk.

"He wants to speak with you in private," said the Major Domo. "Be polite and you might just save the lives of your friends including my daughter."

Tallia said nothing to this advice but slid on the loose-fitting robe. There was no denying after days of squalor, nudity and hard travel the silk felt amazing against her skin.

Diagoras offered her a strange looking silver flask. Tallia eyed it suspiciously. "What's this? Poison?"

"If Arion wanted to kill you," said Diagoras, "he could have easily enough accomplished that as you lay helpless in the arena. It is a restorative. He wants you clear of mind."

She had figured as much and drank deep from the offered flask. It tasted strange and bitter but did in short order make her feel her pain and exhaustion less. And so for the second time, Tallia entered into the sanctum of this wizard Arion Three-Eyes. He was there already, on the far side of the chamber, sitting comfortably upon his throne of dark lacquered wood.

"You impressed me, Tallia," said the wizard calmly. "Yes, you did. Surviving my arena. Quite the feat. I thought for sure that I had crafted a challenge no one could survive, but here you are."

Tallia said nothing and simply glared.

The wizard laughed. "Amazing! What a look! I see fire in your eyes, warrior. Be honest. You hate me, don't you? You don't need to sugar-coat it. Tell me right now the truth."

Tallia finally spoke. "Of course I hate you."

"Of course you do. But why? We'd never met before you invaded my home. And though I've done my share of wicked deeds, oh yes I won't deny it, I don't think I've ever done anything to you."

"Your hydra killed a couple of friends of mine and then tried to eat me," Tallia muttered.

"The only reason that hydra even existed was because I knew a priest was roaming the countryside trying to murder me. Let's be honest, you hate me because of what that damned priest told you. But by now, you must know that Liandra has been driven insane by the death of her mother. Insane people, Tallia, are not to be trusted."

"If she's insane, wizard, it's only because of what you've done to her," scowled the Amazon.

"What I did to her?" said the wizard with a laugh. "I did nothing to her! She was a child when I fled her homeland. And why was I forced to flee, Amazon? Because I dared worship a different god from their depraved, degenerate hermaphroditic sex cult! Her mother tried to murder me because I, a lowly commoner, dared to gain influence over their divinely anointed god-king! You think I wanted Cassandra's blood on my hands?"

The wizard rose from his throne. "I am a scholar, Tallia! I am a learned man living in a barbaric age! But when my work is done, this world will be barbaric no longer. I will build city states ruled by councils of the wise. I will illuminate this dark age with the light of reason and learning!"

Tallia was not impressed. "You are demon-worshipper and a maker of monsters. I have seen your handiwork, wizard, first hand," Tallia all but spat, her mind focused on memories of the hydra as it decapitated Duc and crushed Nien like toys.

"I am doing what must be done!" proclaimed the wizard. "You know of the men who hold power! What have I done to rival the suffering and anarchy that the kings and princes, khans and emperors inflict on their people daily? Do you know why I built my hidden fortress out here in the Rice Lands of Dao, Tallia? Because these people's rulers don't care. They tax them and yet could give two shits whether they are predated upon by pirates or thieves.

"Yes, I have become a bandit! I admit it. It is the only way to survive, to gather what I need. Yes, I make monsters. Without monsters, I would have no chance at victory. Yes, I am a villain. But villains get things done. What I don't have to be, Tallia, is your enemy.

"These vile bastards, the kings and princes of our time, are not going to relinquish their control without a fight, Tallia. And a fight is exactly what I am going to give them. We are at common purpose here, gladiator. I know you were once a champion of the arena in Yaath'Xin. You proved it again and again today fighting against my beast-men. That's how you survived my gauntlet. You suffered as a slave of the mad prince. I am offering you today the best chance you'll ever have at revenge."

"Revenge?" she said. "All you offer me is death and enslavement! You and the mad prince -- you might as well be brothers."

"No, Tallia. We can put all our quarrels behind us. Before today, I believed you were an assassin in the employ of Liandra's degenerate temple, but I see now that you have been duped. Liandra has lied to you, Amazon. You must know that by now. She will do anything, say anything, to exact her revenge."

Tallia paused. It was true that Liandra had led both her and Hilarius into this net. The Amazon had never heard the name Arion Three-Eyes before the priest spoke it to her.

"Listen to me now," said the wizard. "Consider what I have to offer before you reject me based only on the words of a mad woman. Tallia, I have looked into the true face of this world. I have learned secrets that most have never dared dream. This knowledge has transformed me, made me strong and given me power enough that soon I will overthrow the so-called nobility and bring forth a new age. But what I have lacked, Tallia, is a partner worthy of my power and vision. You could be that partner! You could be my sword!"

Tallia listened intently. "Do I have a choice? Can't you just open your eye and command me."

"I don't want another slave, Amazon," said the wizard firmly. "I used the word partner and I meant it! Look, I know I am wicked man. I go too far sometimes. I know that. I'm over three hundred years old, Tallia. Sometimes... sometimes, I feel my humanity slipping away from me. You could help me. Ameliorate my worst impulses."

Tallia said nothing. She had to admit, this is not what she expected from the wizard.

"Consider what we have to gain together. My magic allied with your prowess at arms -- we would be unstoppable. You are a born leader -- I see that clearly. People would follow you without the use of the Eye. And when there are obstacles your sword arm cannot overcome, my magic will make all things possible. I would make you my general, Tallia."

"What of my companion?" she asked.

"What? The thief? He's yours!" said the wizard with a wave. "I can even make him obedient to you, if that is what you desire. I see how he wears upon you, mighty Tallia. The Eye sees all!"

She paced about, deep in consideration.

Arion was not done, though. "But there is more, Tallia called the Unwilling. I know what you want, deep in your heart. Oh, yes. You want to be man once more -- a man as handsome, as powerful and unscarred as your female form is now. I am a shaper of flesh without peer, my dear Tallia. I can make this come to pass. Prove yourself a worthy commander and trustworthy partner, and I will grant you all your heart desires."

"I have seen what becomes of your followers," said Tallia. "You know only how to make monsters, wizard, not men."

"You have seen not a fraction of my power, Amazon," said the wizard. "I can do all that I promise and more!"

"You sound like a back-alley huckster peddling snake oil," said Tallia disdainfully.

"A trickster?! I am no charlatan, Amazon," said Arion angrily. "If you think I am promising you something for nothing, you are sorely mistaken. Changing the world, bringing my vision to life, will be the hardest work of your life. If you fail, you will die and disappear into obscurity. But if we succeed, if together we do what none dared dream and birth a new empire, your name will live for ten thousand years. I offer you, here, today -- nothing less than immortality. Put aside our previous grievances, help me with my great work and save your friends. Truly, who could ask for more?"

"You want honesty, wizard? Fine," said Talia. "If I were cunning, I would accept your offer and betray you later. But I have always been blunt and besides, I doubt I could fool you for long. You are clearly smarter than me, a humble street-born gladiator."

The Amazon continued. "Everyone who serves you hates you. Diagoras visited us in our cells. Perhaps you know that already. You are clever. He told us 'no one hates my master more than me' and I believe him. The beast-men, they doubtless hate you too. You've taken away their humanity, their lives, and made monsters of them. If you somehow gain a kingdom, more people will hate you. Can you control them all forever? I doubt it. Eventually one of your million enemies will kill you, old man. You don't offer me immortality, Three-Eyes. You offer me only a chance to join you in your inevitable defeat."

"You think you can refuse me!" cried the wizard angrily.

"There it is," said Tallia. "All these lofty visions vanish. Diagoras warned me about your two faces, wizard. Now open your eye and bring me to my knees again if you must. But know that I will never voluntarily help you achieve your mad dreams."

Arion scowled at that rebuke. "I thought you cleverer than the priestess, Tallia, but I see now that I was wrong. What idiotic heroics. Fine, then. Back to your cell. And you can spend the rest of your days entertaining me in the arena until I manage to breed a monster than can kill even the mighty Tallia."

Two of the Sons of Arion appeared right on cue and grabbed Tallia roughly. The wizard waved them away dismissively and turned his back on the Amazon and her escorts, still stinging from her rebuke.

Tallia took a few steps towards the door and then lunged to the left, knocking one of the guards off-balance. She grabbed the short sword at the monster man's belt and threw it at the glass coffer with all her might. The green glass of the ornate prison shattered on one side and immediately the Sword of Celaeno appeared in the hand of Tallia.