The Serpent's Prey

Story Info
A python with hypnotic abilities sating all his needs...
6.3k words
4.48
4.6k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a hot, humid day, which is basically like every other day in the jungle. The humans had come and reduced a lot of what was left of the territory by claiming so much of it for themselves. They used to live in fear of all the creatures that dwelled there, fencing their village off from the predators. Nowadays, they fence the jungle in instead of themselves, tearing it down when they want to make room for more humans. This just made all the predators frenzied, searching for food in the jungle and the human towns. Most of the predators would settle for a fresh kill or something in the dumpster, no longer picky about what they eat. There was only one predator who refused to degrade himself in such a way. He wanted a fresh kill, and if it was a bit of a challenge, it made it all the sweeter. Because of his ways, it also made his section of the jungle safe from humans tearing it down. Humans were too afraid, some even superstitious, believing that ghosts or spirits were behind so many deaths and disappearances.

Sapa was no ghost or spirit. Sapa was a Titanoboa, although commonly mistaken to be a large rock python. That was because no one ever got to study Sapa, see his full length. He kept himself wrapped around branches and tree trunks, lowering portions of his body at a time to ensnare his prey and bring it back up into the treetops. While the majority of men steered clear of the section of jungle belonging to Sapa, there were the few thrill-seekers and ghosthunters that went to make camp and find out the answers to the mysteries. Sapa didn't have to eat often, which worked out with how often people actually entered his territory.

It rained recently. It made the ground particularly loud, the air particularly sticky, and activity particularly energetic. All kinds of animals were enjoying the recent rainfall and how the natural flora was affected. Due to the lesser amount of human activity in this area, animals felt that they could frolic and hunt and explore the jungle freely. Even predators weren't as malicious on days like this. Well, most predators. Sapa wasn't most predators.

Sapa was not one who found a particular interest in furry or hooved or feathery or clawed creatures. He saved the sating of his appetite for his favorite creature: humans. Because he took care of them so flawlessly, the rest of the jungle creatures let Sapa be. They also gave the humans a wide berth when the humans dared to enter the forest, making sure to not get in the way of Sapa's little games. Sapa, of course, was grateful to such an accommodating community.

After such a wet few days, Sapa was enjoying stretching out across a few branches in the tops of the largest tree. There was one tree that was just large enough for Sapa to live in. It was just as tall as the tallest trees, but much wider than any other tree. He fertilized the ground around it after any meal was digested, just to make sure his home was as nourished as he. Sapa hadn't been able to feed either in quite some time though. The rainy season had gone on longer than it usually did, meaning no tourists for him to devour. He was hoping his luck would change soon as he really wasn't in the mood for a monkey to tide him over in the meantime.

As luck would have it, a small group of tourists were making their way into Sapa's jungle that same day. The group had been holed up in some motel waiting for the weather to pass. They had almost called the whole thing off when the radar showed a whole week without rain. Sure, the ground would be soaked, but they could lay extra ground pads down and hang hammocks for sleeping. The group consisted of Randy, a twenty-one-year-old content creator who specialized in the supernatural, his twenty-three-year-old business partner, Cory, who planned the excursion; Henry, Randy's twenty-four-year-old brother joined as temporary camera man since their usual guy fell ill. Lastly, Haley, the eighteen-year-old friend signed up for the excursion as well, wanting to do something exciting before shipping off to college.

The guys were both excited and reluctant to have Haley on the trip. For one, she was an understated kind of beauty, a real girl next door type. On the other hand, while she had done some outdoorsy things before, Haley had never been camping or away from home for an extended period. They all wanted a shot with her though. All the guys had known Haley all their lives, and none of them ever had gotten a chance to date her. Randy had been in love with her for some time. Cory only recently saw how attractive Haley was, and he was equally surprised by her intellect. Henry always had a thing for a girl next door, and, honestly, would just be happy to get laid. Haley had no idea how beautiful she was, and she put very little effort into her looks.

When the morning came, the group all loaded their bags, checked out of the motel and made their way toward the jungle. They stopped to interview some locals along the way, most of whom gave warnings about going in there. The locals all warned of an evil that lurks in the darkest parts of the jungle and of all the disappearances that have happened before. Of course, the guys all knew. This was the whole reason for the trip. Haley was a little uneasy with all the warnings piling up, but the guys all assured her that it was just superstition mixed with inexperienced campers.

"Don't worry, we won't let anything happen to you Haley," Randy promised with an arm slung around her shoulder.

"Yeah! And, if it makes you feel safer, you can sleep with one of us every night." Henry joked with a little wink at Haley, which made her blush.

"Okay. I do feel better knowing y'all will be around and know what you're doing. Just don't let a jaguar eat me." They all laughed as they left the safety of the village gates. Little did they know, a jaguar would be the least of their problems.

It amazed them all how immediate the density of their surroundings changed. One minute their were walking in a completely open area, the next, it was hard to tell which way they even came from. Luckily, the boys all had plenty of experience camping and exploring, and they came prepared with a map and compass. Every half hour, the group would stop, mark about where they were on the map, then keep going. The guys were sure past explorers simply didn't think to be as prepared as them.

It was difficult to tell time of day based on the sky as the treetops covered most of their view. None of their phones were working this far out, and they wanted to save their batteries in case of emergency anyway. Light flickered in now and then, and they knew they needed to find a good place to set up camp before the light was gone completely. Based off how many thirty-minute intervals they had taken, Henry thought it would be a good idea to check for an appropriate spot. He took off ahead of the group, clearing any branches or vines with a machete to make his path more obvious to his group behind him.

Randy and Cory knew what to look out for as they began trekking after Henry. Haley just a few steps behind her friends, trying carefully not to disturb any wildlife. Although Haley was scared of what might be happening in the jungle, she was also really excited about the animals she might see. Haley was an avid nature documentary viewer, but she knew very little about the fauna of this jungle. She hoped she might see some exotic birds or a family of monkeys or whatever the jungle wanted to delight her with. Haley knew there were poisonous and dangerous creatures here too but seeing them from a safe distance was probably fine.

While this group of tourists were searching for the perfect spot to set up camp, a certain snake was just waking from his nap in the sun. Warm and well-rested, Sapa just needed to sate his hunger. Just as he thought this, he heard the familiar sounds of happy humans traipsing their way deeper into his jungle. An evil smile spread across his maw as he began to slither in the direction of the squelching jungle floor and human laughter. It took him no time at all to spot the four humans, now huddled up in a more open area around the base of some trees. Three men and one woman. Women were always tastier, the extra fat they had in both the upper and lower regions made Sapa so hungry. The men always filled him up longer though. Decisions, decisions. He watched from the canopy as the humans set up their tents and hammocks, built a campfire and unpacked equipment that Sapa wasn't as familiar with. The longer he watched them though, the more he saw that the girl didn't know as much as they boys. She also apparently didn't sense all those lingering glances each boy was giving her. She could be smart, but her naivety meant she could fall a little more easily for Sapa's tricks.

The guys all silently fought over who would be sleeping with or next to Haley. Anytime she was out of earshot, they would bicker like kids over a new toy. As soon as she was closer to them, they would suddenly be gentlemen on their best behavior. Eventually, Henry won some contest between the three. He set up Haley's sleeping bag in his tent, while the other two guys grumpily gathered more firewood. Getting more than smoke going was no easy task; the recent rain and general dampness of the jungle made building a fire near impossible.

"Hey, at least the smoke might keep away the mosquitos and other unwanted creatures," Cory shrugged, trying to not sound too defeated over their pathetic campfire.

"Yeah, I guess." Randy couldn't help his sigh, poking at the embers that were trying their hardest.

"Hey, I could probably find some stuff that wouldn't be quite so smokey!" Haley piped up, having just tied her button-up shirt around her waist and thrown her hair up into a ponytail.

"We don't want you to get lost," Randy argued, still looking pathetically at his fire.

"I won't go far. I'll stay within yelling distance." Haley put her hands on her hips as she looked down at the two guys. Cory and Randy exchanged unsure looks, but they knew how stubborn Haley could be.

"Okay, but if those ghosts get you, then it won't be our fault," Cory joked as he handed her a pocketknife to assist in her collection.

"Ha ha. You know, if a ghost does get me, you'll be sorry you said that." The guys just smirked as Haley pointed accusingly at them before stomping off into the jungle. They decided to set up their camera equipment while waiting for Haley. Agreeing to only give her ten minutes or so before checking on her.

"Hey, where'd Haley go?" Henry asked as he finished setting up the mosquito nets around everyone's sleeping areas.

Corey continued getting the tri-pod ready as he answered nonchalantly, "She went to go find more appropriate firewood."

"What? You let her go off on her own?" Henry yelled at the two boys. They exchanged a look again before pausing their work.

"Look, we weren't gonna let her go off for long. Plus, she promised to stay within yelling distance," Randy defended. His older brother still made him feel like a kid sometimes, despite how far Randy had already come in life. "Watch." He cupped his hands around his mouth and took a deep breath before yelling, "Marco!" They all held their breath, waiting for an answer.

Right when Henry was about to lay into them, they all heard "Polo!" It sounded like it wasn't that far off, and not a minute later, Haley re-entered their campsite. "Everything okay?" She set down some drier twigs and brush on her button-up shirt. "I'm going to let these finish drying out on my shirt while I collect some more pieces. There's still a little light, and I want to get this stuff while I can still find it." The guys all just stare like it wasn't what they expected. Each one expected her to come back empty-handed, or with equally wet wood. She was like a girl scout.

"I don't know if you should go alone..." Henry began as he stepped forward. Haley shot him a similar look she had given the other two only moments ago.

"I am fine. I've done barely anything to help, and this is one thing I know I can do. I'm not fragile. I'm not a child. This is not my first time outside. I know what to look for and what to avoid. Y'all have a job to do while we're out here, and soon you won't have any natural lighting left for good footage. Now," Haley's hands went back onto her hips, "Does anyone else have any more stupid objections, or can I go now?"

"You've done it now, man," Cory chortled as Randy tried to hide his own laughter. Henry just rolled his eyes.

"Alright babe, you go do you. When you need rescuing, I'll save you." He winked at her before turning back to help the guys with all the recording equipment. Haley just scoffed and turned back toward the jungle.

Now she had been questioned twice. Her abilities to do one simple task not believed. She was peeved. Haley may not have as much experience camping as them, but she wasn't a complete idiot. Stopping and searching the area for dryer spots, she didn't realize that someone had indeed followed her. Of course, it wasn't to make sure she was okay, rather, her stalker was studying her. Waiting for this beauty to drop her guard for just a moment. Haley scoured the area, thoroughly but quickly, so as to get the most out of what she came to do with the limited time left.

"Hello there," a bodily voice seemed to hiss from the brush. Haley squeaked in surprise, not recognizing the voice or where it came from.

"H-hello?" She called out, glancing around past the bushes and trees. For a moment, there was no answer, and she was starting to wonder if she completely imagined it. "Must be letting all those ghost stories get to me," Haley mused aloud, trying to reign in her imagination.

"No ghossstssss here." She swore she heard that voice again, coming out almost like an actual hiss. Haley was starting to get a little aggravated, thinking one or more of the guys decided to play some kind of trick on her.

"Ha ha guys. Very funny," although she realized her bravado didn't sound all that convincing. "Come on, stop messing around."

"Oh, I'm not messssing around my dear," the bodiless voice responded, much quicker this time.

"Okay, well, I don't know who you are, but I'm heading back to my friends." Haley moved her head from one viewing point to another, trying to get a visual of whoever this person was that she decided to run from.

"Of course, but firssst, would you mind helping a poor soul?" Sapa asked with a devious smile, not yet revealing himself to his prey. Haley hesitated taking another step, his words playing on her need to help others.

"Are you hurt?" She bit her lip while waiting for a response.

"I'm ssstuck, you sssee. If you just look in the bush, you'll sssee me." He watched her with amusement as the girl looked over her shoulder and back to the bush a few times. Clearly trying to decide if she should help the voice or not. Sapa tried not to snigger aloud as he watched the girl sigh and decisively move forward.

"Okay, sure. I'll help you." Haley attempted to put on an empathetic smile for the stranger. She hoped this would be an easy fix that she wouldn't need the guys for. Maybe if they saw how she rescued someone, they would respect her more. "So, where are you exactly?" She began to push branches out of the way as she stuck her face into the bush.

"Right here," Sapa muttered as he activated his hypnosis. As soon as Haley saw him, she barely had time to register the massive head of the snake. Her eyes immediately locked onto his as they seemed to swirl endlessly with various colors. The longer she stared, trying to determine the pattern of colors, the more drawn in she became. Soon, her eyes began to mirror the snakes, swirling with the same colors in the same pattern. "Yesss, good girl. Jussst look into my eyesss. Trussst in me sssweet girl." Sapa hissed so gently, so softly, his words and tone lulling the girl deeper into the trance. He grinned as the girl's face went into a slack smile, her mind becoming empty and malleable for his own fun.

"Haley!" Randy called from their campsite, a mixture of annoyance and worry in his tone. Sapa huffed at how his fun would be ruined if they came looking for his prey right then.

"You won't remember meeting me. You will not scream or ask for help the next time you sssee me. I'm your friend after all, and you can alwaysss trussst in me." Sapa wrapped his head around hers, a full coil loosely around her neck. He brought his face back to hers, speeding the swirls of his eyes while letting his commands sink in. "Sssee you sssoon girl cub," and just as quickly as he had been there, Sapa was gone.

Haley blinked, glancing around at her surroundings. What a bad time to just daydream! She quickly gathered the few bits of kindling and firewood she could find, picking up a few pieces she dropped on the ground.

"Haley!" Cory yelled this time. He sounded more frantic than Randy had, and a bit closer. Of course, Haley didn't remember even hearing Randy, so she didn't know why he sounded so panicked.

"Coming!" Haley yelled back as she made her way toward the camp. Once she got back, there was some light bickering between the four, upset that Haley seemed to wander further than she was supposed to, even though she swore she didn't.

From up in the canopy, Sapa watched on with a mixture of amusement and annoyance. If those men were just a teensy less concerned about the girl, he could have made off with her already. He knew she would be his soon enough though, and until then, he would try to learn more about his prey. He watched as the four went from frustration to light-hearted as the evening wore on. Two of the guys spoke to the third about the reported disappearances and supposed hauntings of this jungle, while that third man held a contraption that Sapa with which Sapa was unfamiliar. He sniggered to himself at the ludicrous idea that it was more widely believed that the jungle had ghosts rather than the very real, very deadly predators here. Of course, unlike most predators, Sapa never left any trace of his kills.

"I sssupossse I am haunting this jungle," Sapa joked to himself as he listened to the inane chatter down below. He studied how each man stared hungrily after his girl. It was as if they each wanted her, and it was giving Sapa new ideas.

"Alright, I think that's good for tonight," Henry announced as he began shutting down all the cameras. "I'll charge these tonight with the solar chargers. Tomorrow, maybe we could get some daytime shots with a couple of specific stories y'all have heard."

"Listen to him, your brother is acting like he's our full-time producer or something," Corey laughed as he turned his mic off.

"It's not the worst idea. Henry has vision," Randy mused back thoughtfully. The three guys began to chat more animatedly as the idea grew to a realistic option.

Haley watched the beginning of her friends recording, but soon was sitting further away from them just getting some reading in. She was really proud of what her friends had accomplished to be able to do a trip like this, but she couldn't handle listening to those awful stories again. Haley allowed herself to get lost in the fantasy novel she brought along, enjoying the background noises the jungle provided.

"Hello again, my sssweet," Sapa hissed from a nearby bush. Haley turned to look, a scream caught in her throat, but not coming out. She tried calling for help, but something in her told her she didn't need to. "Ssso nice to sssee you again." Sapa smiled as sweetly as he could. He could tell that the girl wanted to call out, bring attention to the snake in the grass, but his hypnotic suggestions seemed to be remaining strong.

"Y-you're talking?" Haley finally managed to ask. She knew she would look ridiculous talking to a snake. She began to go through different reasons she might be mentally giving a snake a voice, but she couldn't grasp onto any.

12