The Shadow Queen's Wrath

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jmanchu
Jmanchu
18 Followers

"Is that so?" Dante took another sip from his drink.

King Byron wiped bits of fish from his mouth with a piece of cloth. "Yes, this evil has also spread beyond East Frisch. North Frisch and Norma to the west are affected by its influence as well. There's a dark force actively working behind the scenes with the intent to destabilize all of Frischia."

"I assume Nu'rath is behind this?" Dante asked.

The old sage spoke: "We do suspect that they may have a heavy hand in this as well and likely are playing puppet masters behind these events. What is confirmed is that the Congregation of the Void is involved in this. They've become more active lately. Even in the city there have been some cases of disappearing folk turning up dead with markings reeking of foul magics, which I have suspected to be their handiwork, and there have been rumors of fiends stalking the boundaries of the city itself."

Dante sat back on his chair pensively. The Congregation of the Void. That was a problem. The Congregation of the Void was a cult made up of mostly human zealots and dark sorcerers of differing beliefs and sects but they all worshiped the dark gods and sought to bring the End Times in one form or the other. Wherever they worked they sought to usurp and promote discord within the human nations. Some rival fanatical sects held a particular reverence to Nu'rath. They viewed the Black Sorcerer King of the dark nation, and either one of his sons, Krosimar or Numos, as their prophesied savior against the world. Most followed Numos or the Black Sorcerer King. Strife between them wasn't uncommon with many innocent lives having been lost caught in the crossfires between their infighting.

"Fell bastards..." Jarn looked down before he took a sip of his drink.

"So what's the plan?" Dante rested his elbow on the table.

King Byron bit a piece of the tender fish from his plate then set his cutlery down. "Sage Marlon shall go over the details, but I wish to trust you with leading the fight against them. You may take what you need from the armory. I would send what soldiers I can to aid you and follow your command but keep in mind that most of my men are preparing for the upcoming assault of the dark elves so I can not offer much." "

"As Mistwood is my fief I will send some of my militia and best men with you." Lord Victor spoke.

King Byron gestured to the two knights near him. "I will send two of my best men here as well. Sirs Phillippe and Jean shall accompany you in aiding Sage Marlon in this quest."

"I understand," Dante spoke. "I'll do what I can to stop the Congregation of the Void."

"Splendid! When you succeed in your quest, know that I will hold a parade in your honor," King Byron grinned. Sir Philippe's lip twitched as his eyes lowered down for a moment before his stoic expression returned.

Sage Marlon held a hand out, "Before we head off to Mistwood, I wish to investigate certain incidents reported in the city. Once that is taken care of, we all depart for Mistwood."

"Very well." Dante nodded.

"Good. I will get my things ready for tomorrow."

"Then it is settled," King Byron said. "The horses shall be prepared for your departure, and I will give word that the armory shall be unlocked. Sirs Phillippe and Jean, you shall accompany them. May the gods bless you on your journey."

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

Dante made his way across the stone hallway of the castle. Camille ran by in a hurry holding her cheek. She paused as she looked over her shoulder with a forlorn look. There was a mark on her face.

"Camille?" Dante raised a brow.

The young brunette looked down before she started back down the hallway.

"Camille, wait," The warrior held a hand out.

"Dante..." Camille turned around and meekly grabbed her arm in front of her.

"Is everything alright?" Dante asked. "Your face..."

Camille gingerly touched the bruise on her cheek. "I-it's nothing."

Dante walked towards Camille and moved her hand away before he rested a fingertip near the mark. She sniffed as hints of tears began to well up in her eyes.

"It doesn't look like nothing," Dante's eyes narrowed. "What happened?"

"It's..." Camille trailed off before she continued. "It's my fault. Kyle... he's not always like this. It's just... he gets in a bad mood sometimes and when he is he doesn't like to be bothered. He was in a bad mood today so I tried to avoid him, give him the space he needed, but..." Camille whimpered. Her eyes opened with sudden alarm at the young warrior. "Dante? Don't do anything rash. Please..." She grabbed his arm. "Please, don't get into trouble because of me... I-I know you're upset, but please... please..." Tears ran down her cheeks.

"Am I?" Dante asked.

Camille nodded. "I know you. I know how you get when you're upset... Please don't do anything. Please. For me." She massaged his right hand to ease the warrior's tight fist.

Dante sighed and looked away. "Did he find out what happened in the garden today?"

Camille shook her head as she delicately ran her hands across Dante's open fingertips, "No, Dante, he doesn't know." The brunette lowered her hands with her gaze. Her lip trembled. Dante rested a hand on the trembling brunette's shoulder. She jumped into his arms and clutched onto him with a peck on his lips. Camille sniffled as her slender hands pressed firmly against his back. "Dante... you're a wonderful and caring man..." Camille shivered. "You'll find someone deserving of you... You'll make her happy...." After a few moments she pulled away from the embrace and wiped her wet cheeks. She quietly walked away but gave one last longing look over her shoulder before she left.

Dante stood for a moment in silence as he watched Camille disappear. He walked through the castle as he tried to calm himself, but all he could see was Camille's crying face with the mark Kyle had left her. His balled fist trembled as he took in a deep breath.

"Really, Sir Philippe...? Is that true?" Lord Kyle stood near the armory talking with Sir Phillipe. They stopped talking and faced Dante as he made his way through.

"You there, stop," Kyle's eyes were cold as he blocked the warrior's way. Sir Philippe quietly stepped around to the side of the young lord whose eyes narrowed. "I have questions."

Dante raised his eyebrows and took a wide and relaxed stance.

Lord Kyle frowned. "Did you try to force yourself on my woman?"

"What...? Force?" Dante shook his head. He raised his chin. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"You know exactly what I speak of, animal. I'll ask once more, did you... touch my woman? I demand the truth." The young lord stepped forward menacingly until he was within arm's reach of Dante. Kyle's fist clenched.

Dante held an arm out to stop the young lord's advance. The image of him coldly standing over the bloodied, unmoving body of the young lord played vividly in his head. Kyle's posture was open and his guard was down. The warrior anticipated the welcome sensation of his knuckle crushing cheek and nose. He could feel it in his hand. Time slowed as Sir Philippe stepped to the flank. Dante played out in his mind taking out the knight while he thought all of his attention was on Kyle, then the young lord would come next. Remember boy, you gave your word, Jarn's warning echoed faintly in the young warrior's head.

Dante smirked, "I already told you my answer. Also, I'd change that tone when you talk to me."

Sir Philippe sneered as he placed a hand to his heart, "The vagabond lies. I have seen it with mine own eyes. He accosted the fair Lady Camille in the garden and tried to force himself on her. She barely got away from the animal as he attacked her with his foul mouth. I stand here as a witness to these events."

"Really?" Dante glanced at Philippe while he kept Kyle in his peripheral. "If that's true, then what were you doing while you supposedly saw these events, Sir Philippe? Standing there idly by? Thought you were braver."

"Dishonorable swine! Watch your vile, slanderous tongue or I'll cut it off!" Sir Phillipe's upper lip twitched as he snarled with his teeth out like a dog ready to bite. As he stepped in, Lord Kyle held a hand out to stop him.

"So then, you deny touching her? Do you swear by this on your honor?" Lord Kyle stared at the warrior with vicious eyes. "You had best understand this now, she belongs to me. I own her, not you. You may be my uncle's guest for now, you may have some fooled into thinking you are some sort of savior, but that will not change that I am a noble born of true honor and you are not. you are just a commonborn, a refugee playing hero. I will not tolerate dishonor towards me, especially not by a lowborne wretch like you. You will show me respect and acknowledge your place under me." The young lord pointed to his feet. "Lower your head. Now."

"You'll have to make me," Dante's voice was low as cold fury coursed through the warrior's veins like his blood pumped ice and fire. He jeered with his smirk: "And what would you know of honor? Sitting back, kept safe and taken care of like a moody little boy in your little keep? While the men do the hard work so you can beat women at your leisure?"

"What in the hells are you talking about?" Kyle's eyes widened with outrage as he trembled.

"It's the talk of the castle. You beat your wife," Dante's smile faded. He did not know if others in the castle really knew but he did not care at the moment. "I have to say I don't respect that at all."

"Do you remember years ago how you once tested me just like you are doing now?" Kyle spoke with sudden calmness as he slowly lifted his chin. "Did you forget the public whipping and humiliation you had gotten that day in Red Marsh? Perhaps I should sentence you to the whipping post in front of everyone to make sure you never forget that lesson again. Maybe I could whip you myself personally. What do you think, o hero?"

"If you really want to try me..." Dante crossed his arms. "... why not keep it simple? Man to man? Are you scared?"

"Man to man, as in a duel? You would speak to me like we're equals?" Lord Kyle chuckled and looked away for a moment as he shook his head. The noble swung without warning with an open clubbing hand at Dante's face. Dante, in a blurring rush of adrenaline, caught the blow on his arm and attacked the young lord with a hard tackle against the wall. Lord Kyle cried out in shock and fright.

Dante growled with harsh breaths; he looked into Kyle's trembling eyes as he roughly took in handfuls of his fine tunic. "It's different when someone can fight back, huh!?" Blood poured from the young noble's nose from a blow thrown in the heat of the moment before.

"Scoundrel! Unhand him!" Sir Philippe screamed as he pulled out his sword. Dante spun the shaken lord around and shoved him into the charging knight's path. Sir Philippe stumbled backwards as he braced against Lord Kyle's body crashing into him. Dante stepped forward ready to rush in with a hand on his hilt. Remember boy, you gave your word, Jarn's warning rang again in the young warrior's head. Dante released the grip on his sheathed sword and stepped back as Lord Kyle scrambled back with terror in his wide open eyes. Sir Philippe awkwardly moved the young lord away from him.

"You would dare assault a lord!?" Sir Philippe snarled as he held his blade forward while facing the young warrior. They circled around without keeping their eyes off one another.

"You will pay for this insult!" Lord Kyle screamed as he placed a hand on the stone wall for support. "Forget banishment! You will suffer in the dungeon and face execution for this, you worthless, Leonian refugee wretch! Do you hear me!? You will pay! Guards!!"

"You both came at me first," Dante regained some of his cool as he readied himself into a trance and focused with a forefinger and middle finger held together. "This is self defense."

"You've made a fatal mistake, boy..." Sir Philippe lowered his head; his blade danced skillfully in his hand as the point stayed centered on Dante. The knight feinted with one aggressive lunge after the other as he circled his enemy like a wolf ready to pounce. "You've made a very fatal mistake!"

"Don't try it," Dante spoke as he waved his fingers in front of him and muttered a quick incantation.

"Silence!" Sir Philippe screamed as he dashed with a thrust ready. Dante finished his invocation as the knight closed in with great speed. As Philippe's blade neared Dante's neck the air turned charged with mysterious energy and the hairs of everyone in the vicinity stood on end. The rushing knight was blown back inexplicably as if he ran headfirst into an invisible wall or an unseen charging bull crashing through his path. Gusts of wind blew all around the castle hallway. Sir Philippe cried out as he rolled across the floor. He got on his shaking knees in a huff. "Magic... You know magic..." His eyes opened with astonishment.

Dante held a hand out as Lord Kyle and Sir Philippe flinched. "I think this is far enough."

"Far enough?" Sir Philippe stood up slowly; his lip trembled as he kept his eyes on his adversary with sword in hand. "Do you think I'd fear you even if you know magic!? Do you think knowing magic gives you the advantage!?"

Dante glared as he held his two fingers up. "Stop--"

The enraged knight charged in with reckless abandon before Dante could ready another summon of Air. The Leonian warrior leaned his upper body away with a backstep as Sir Philippe's blade flashed in front of him.

"Arrgh!" Sir Philippe growled like a rabid dog as his sword whipped around in a skillful but wild dance of fury. Dante nimbly evaded cuts to his legs and lower body with well-timed steps and pulled his torso back from blows aimed higher. He managed to stay just one step ahead of the blows that flew inches from him.

Dante clenched his teeth as he tipped his neck away from a thrust that passed a hair's width from impaling his throat. It was difficult to find the focus to cast another spell while trying to avoid the relentless attacks. The bastard was fast. Sir Philippe committed fully to another thrust but Dante read the attack; he evaded and deflected it away with the push of his hand and closed the distance to clinch with the knight.

"Damn you! Unhand me!" Sir Philippe snarled as he struggled with great effort against Dante's hold. Both men whirled around the hallway as they fought and wrestled. The knight pushed forward with his impressive strength but he found himself off balance over his toes. Dante had instinctually given way as he twisted his upper body with Sir Philippe's to his side and blocked the knight's foot with his. Sir Philippe, caught in a trip, was wheeled over behind Dante's left corner and crashed against the hard, gray stone floor.

"Bastard!" Sir Philippe screamed as he bounded back up to his feet with determined athleticism. As he readied for another charge a powerful gust of wind came forth. He fell back into a stumbling crouch and caught himself with his free hand to the floor behind him. The knight braced against the winds. He hesitated as he saw the murderous intent on the Leonian's cold eyes as his hand fell onto his hilt.

"So, you wish to settle this with the sword, then!" Sir Philippe roared as he took one determined step after the other against the relentless torrent of air that impeded him. "Come on!" He growled as his feet began to lose traction from the overpowering winds that kept him at bay. The Leonian drew his blade. Sir Philippe screamed with an arm held out against the increasing power of the air that beat him back. "Fight me honorably, damn you! Without magic! Or are you afraid!?"

Dante silently stepped forward with his sword in front. He raised his blade over his shoulder as he approached the snarling knight who stumbled with a wide backstep to keep his footing.

"What the hells is going on here!?" Jarn screamed. Behind him was Lord Victor who stared in shock from the spectacle in front of him, Sir Jean whose observing eyes were stoic, and the castle guards who rushed in a hurry.

The torrent of wind had stopped suddenly as Dante lowered his blade and relaxed his stance. The guards surrounded Dante and Sir Philippe. Jarn and Sir Jean quickly made their way in between Sir Philippe and Dante and held their arms out.

"This is not over! You have not bested me, you bastard!" Sir Philippe stood up with the help of Sir Jean's support. "We continue this with a proper sword duel! Let us see whose sword skills are superior! I challenge you! An honest fight with no magic! Or are you afraid, boy!?"

Dante chuckled and shook his head as Jarn pushed him back, "if you want another beating that badly, I'll accept your challenge. I'll take both you and the wifebeater over there, one after the other. Or together, I don't care."

"Damn it boy..." Jarn grimaced as he spoke in a hushed tone. "I don't know what in the hells happened between you and them, but you gave me your word."

"He attacked me! That wretch attacked me!" Lord Kyle pointed a shaking finger at Dante as he stepped behind the guards. "Don't just stand there! I want that uncivilized beast put in a cage!"

Dante stood, unmoving as the group of armored men quickly surrounded him with their polearms pointed at him.

"Surrender peacefully," A guard with a decorated helmet called out.

The warrior's stoic eyes carefully observed the armored men who stood around him ready. He had enough stamina to cast magic before the fatigue and mental haze of mana withdrawal would start to take its course. If he bombarded them with Air and casted a bright fire or a flash of light he could disorient them, rush them, and slay a few easily to make his escape. He stared at Sir Jean whose intense eyes were firmly on him as he faced Dante fully forward. The problem was Sir Jean. The unreadable man who stood upright without a tell in his relaxed posture was certainly powerful. The air around the mighty knight exuded a mysterious aura that made Dante's hairs stand on end. If it turned into a confrontation while dealing with a group of armed men at the same time it would be troublesome. He would have to be taken out quickly.

"Another fine mess you've put us in, boy..." Jarn whispered with a shake of his head as he faced the men. "You gave your word... No trouble. You swore on your honor, damn it."

"This is your final chance," The head guard spoke. "You have no escape." As the guardsmen stepped in Jarn held both his hands out.

"Hold on!" Jarn called out as the enclosed wall of pikes around them shrunk in. "We are honored guests of King Byron. Should we not at least be given the chance to explain ourselves first? Is that not a reasonable request? There is far too little of what we know transpired here. I know my friend. He is not a man to attack another without good reason."

"Reasonable?" Sir Philippe's lip shook as a twisted grin appeared on his face. "The only reasonable request to give the likes of a scoundrel such as him is a thorough lesson of humiliation with a beating so severe he can never forget his place! Defending an immoral man in this case only makes you appear as an accomplice to his crimes, dwarf!"

"We will investigate the matter ourselves," The guardsman's cold eyes stayed on Dante and Jarn as Lord Kyle sneered silently from behind. "But until then he will be detained in the dungeon."

Jarn hesitated as he looked at the pikes that jabbed out inches from them, then at Dante who stood calm and composed. "Damn it..." The dwarf clenched his teeth as he squatted with his feet rooted to the ground and reached inside his coat for his bag of magical reagents. He closed his eyes and the ground started to rumble as he held a hand out with his fingers down. The guards stepped back with hesitation and wide eyes of alarm as Jarn chanted with his casting hand lowering to the ground.

Jmanchu
Jmanchu
18 Followers