The Shepherd's Crook Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He turned to look at Tatiana, who was trying to pretend she wasn't aware of his attention. Her rapid breathing spoiled the illusion, and her eyes snapped to him as he slowly stepped closer.

"Anything you'd like to mention about the story they're reporting?" he said very softly so only she could hear.

Her eyes flicked to the screen, then back to Ben's. "I won't tell you what you don't want to hear."

He took a deep breath to calm himself. "There's no evidence linking it back to you?"

Tatiana snorted in scorn. "Of course not."

"Because they're bad guys isn't enough. That's no longer your job--"

"So, I take down your over-zealous fanboys now?" she hissed. "This is what I've become?"

Ben clenched his jaw and looked for anyone watching them. Liliya and Evelyn were, but none of the people nearby seemed aware of their words.

"What you've become is someone I rely on to protect my loved ones and me from hostile forces, as I believe you have exceptional skills for that. But most of the time, we won't be in crisis situations. During those times, I rely on you to remain vigilant for dangers and take reasonable steps to disable them, non-lethally when possible," Ben explained as he looked into her eyes.

She looked like she might argue, but Ben put his hand on her shoulder, squeezed a warning, but nodded with a smile. His eyes were tracking the progress of a few airport security men who were walking through the departures area in their direction. They seemed like they might be looking for someone, but that might have been Ben's paranoia now that he was aware of Tatiana's extra-curricular activities

"Sergeant? Any word on boarding, like now?" he called out for her to hear. The woman in question hustled over to the gate and spoke tersely to the agents there. They talked into their mics and nodded to her. Evelyn caught his eye and gestured to come.

Ben released Tatiana's shoulder, and she wobbled momentarily before turning and walking to the gate casually.

He turned to Louis and his group and gestured for them to board quickly. Ben picked up his carry-on and joined them, with Liliya bringing up the rear.

She was keeping an eye on the security people, and they hadn't spotted Ben's group yet as she stepped into the gangway.

Once they were on the jet, the flight crew expedited their roll back from the gate and taxied out to the runway. They got into the queue, and soon they were rushing down the runway.

Ben allowed himself to relax as the jet reached cruising altitude and the seatbelt lights turned off. He turned in his seat and looked back at Tatiana, who quickly turned her head and looked out the window. He just didn't have the energy to continue with her now. He closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat, feeling his age.

"Excuse me, Ben?"

He opened his eyes to see Louis and Dan standing next to his chair. "Yes?"

"Can you tell us what that little bit at the end was? Something we need to be concerned about?" Dan asked.

Ben knew Dan was the legal brain in their company, so he wouldn't put the man in a compromising position. "It wasn't anything for you or your people to worry about. It may be another burned bridge for me, though."

When Louis and Dan saw that was all Ben was willing to say, they nodded, shared looks, and went back to their seats.

Liliya had moved back to sit with Tatiana, and they began speaking quietly, but neither was smiling. The tension could be felt, and the Sergeant joined Ben.

"I take it that news story was related to a certain team member?" she whispered.

"Yes," Ben replied.

"The headcount was reported to be twenty to twenty-five. That's not a minor blip. It isn't something I can downplay for the General," Evelyn said hesitantly.

"Don't," Ben said as he held her eyes. "I'm out of my league here. I've done what I can, and it's apparently not good enough." He looked away. "Do what you need to do."

Ben closed his eyes again. He felt sick to his stomach. Giving up on someone grated on him like nothing he'd felt before. He forced the bile down and turned his face to the window to avoid more conversations.

-=-

Robin picked up on the tension the moment their passengers stepped on board, so she tried to melt into the background. She ran through her pre-flight duties and skipped the less essential ones to ease them on their way.

Now, she sat in her position at the front of the jet and absorbed what appeared to be happening.

The Angry Beauty was first to board the jet. She didn't look at Robin and immediately took her seat at the back. She seemed to be having trouble breathing like she'd been running and suddenly stopped. She might be the instigator or the target of the tension.

The Developer Team was next, and they just looked confused and concerned. They were the innocents.

The Sergeant followed, and Robin saw the tension in her expression. She was a doer, so she might be the final solution.

After Ben arrived, the Deadly Blonde slipped inside and kept her eyes on the Angry Beauty until she could move to the back and speak with her. Robin wasn't sure what role she played in this. The last line of defense, perhaps?

Ben's expression was most telling. He was trying for neutral, but his frustration showed in his eyes, and now she could see he was having trouble swallowing, and his look was now one of defeat. That seemed out of character for such a powerful man.

She felt an instinctive tug, a need to go to him to make it better, but she knew it wasn't her place to do that, so she'd just give him space.

Something had happened while they'd been in Hong Kong. She was aware of the media frenzy over Ben's interlude in the supply closet. She doubted that was the cause of the current mood. Something must've happened after that. She looked at the angry expression on the dark beauty's face again. She caught her glancing toward Ben. Maybe the interlude was a factor?

She'd do some research once they got to Singapore.

For now, she'd do her duties.

Chapter 33

Ben fell in love with Singapore.

To him, it felt like a modern city that embraced nature within it. Beautiful, tall, mature trees shared space with gleaming glass and steel office towers.

There was also what seemed like a harmonious mix of religions and cultures, with civility and hopeful enthusiasm amongst its populace.

He admitted he might have been projecting his own current need onto his perceptions, but he didn't believe so.

Then there was the food.

The food was unlike anything he'd ever experienced! After their first meal in the city, Ben was already making plans to bring everyone he could to share in this experience.

The security team was on the best behavior, so he could relax and enjoy the visit. Ben enjoyed getting to know Ed, who seemed to be a sponge for knowledge. He asked questions about the meals in the restaurants and even managed to get some recipes from the chefs so he could make some dishes at home.

This made Ben realize he was observing one of the biggest differences between him and Ed. While he was considering bringing his entire family to Singapore, Ed followed the simpler, more reasonable path of a homebody, bringing the experience to his loved ones. Ben wondered when he'd switched behaviors, as his new ease with wealth felt recent.

The real estate developers they met were both suitable, but Louis and Dan opted for the first one as they had more years under their belt and had an excellent relationship with the country's governing body.

They enjoyed their second night in the gorgeous city and did a little sightseeing before heading back to their hotel to sleep. Their flight to Germany was first thing in the morning, and they'd been visiting three developers, so they needed to rest.

Ben was feeling much better than he did when they left Hong Kong. Tatiana was subdued but behaving professionally. Liliya seemed more relaxed as well. Evelyn was watching Tatiana like a hawk. He'd spoken to her about easing up to prevent Tatiana from lashing out, and the Sergeant accepted his advice, and her observation became less obvious.

The primaries of the company they selected took them for an incredible seafood meal on the patio of a restaurant overlooking the beach on the southern shore. The conversation was lively, and the food was exceptional.

Afterward, they shook hands, and Ben's group went back to their hotel and up to the rooftop bar to enjoy sunset views and drinks.

Ed and Ben continued to discover similarities. After dinner, the two began comparing notes on their areas of technical knowledge, and the conversation drove Louis, Dan, and Mark to find more interesting scenery.

Like Ben, Ed avoided alcohol, but for different reasons, so they enjoyed some herbal tea as they sat in the lovely rooftop bar watching the sunset. Ed confessed to enjoying scotch, but his tolerance was low, and he said his behavior changed when he was drunk, so it was safer to avoid it.

Robin walked into the bar, and Ben spotted her looking around. He smiled and waved to her, so she approached their table. He couldn't help but notice how good she looked in her little black cocktail dress, which emphasized her long, toned legs. She'd also released her long hair from her ponytail, and it flowed down her back.

"Good evening! Would you mind if I joined you two?" she asked.

"Good evening, Robin! Please do," Ben said, gesturing to the chair between Ed and him.

She sat and glanced at their beverages. "You've come all the way to Singapore, to one of the country's premier bars with the most spectacular view, and you're not following the tradition of enjoying a Singapore Sling?" she asked with a smile.

Ed perked up. "What tradition?"

"It began with the poshest hotel in Singapore, Raffles. They have a lovely bar where the drink was said to have been invented. I understand there is a tradition to enjoy a Singapore Sling as you enjoy the view of the city, especially when it's this breathtaking," she said with a smile.

Ed looked over at Ben as if asking permission, but Ben just raised his hands. "If you want to try one, I'm not going to stop you. You know your limits far better than me. For myself, I'll pass."

Robin flagged down a waiter. "Two Singapore Slings, please."

"I'll have a bottle of spring water. Put the drinks on my bill," Ben added.

Robin grinned at him. "Thank you!"

Ben nodded. "It looks like you're prepared for a night on the town and maybe some dancing?"

She smiled and nodded a little self-consciously. "I travel a lot in my job, but It's very rare for me to come to a place as lovely as Singapore. I'd hoped to enjoy the nightlife, but it's looking like I'll be calling it an early night. I've got to be at the airport early tomorrow morning, and I don't know enough about the city to find the right hot spot to truly enjoy myself. I should have prepared better."

Ben nodded as he knew very little about the city other than he loved it and wanted to come back.

The waiter returned with their drinks, and once he left, Robin lifted her glass. Ed and Ben raised theirs too.

"To a successful completion of your around the world tour!" Robin said, and they tapped glasses.

Ben watched Ed's face as he took his first sip. The man's eyebrows went up, and he looked at Robin with a smile. "That's really good!" She smiled after she took a sip of hers.

"Just a word of warning. I believe it's also very strong. That's all I'll say," Ben offered, and Ed nodded.

"Did you ever think you'd be here doing this when you were growing up? I know I didn't," Robin said as she shook her head in wonder.

Ben looked over at her curiously. "Why?"

She shrugged self-consciously. "My mum worked as a maid in a big house in central London, and my grannie raised me. My father worked as a taxi driver. My world was contained in two city blocks. I didn't know there was anything outside of that."

Ed sipped his drink and nodded to himself. "My mom died in a car accident when I was five. Her cousin was the only family available to take me in. Aunt Shirley raised me and her daughter Grace. She didn't have much money, especially after getting hurt in the factory. We learned how to live with very little, but we were happy, most of the time."

Ben was staring at Ed as his mind spun. Another similarity and an ugly one. "My parents died in a car crash when I was five. I didn't have any other family, so I was put into the foster care program." He swallowed some water for his suddenly dry throat. "My experiences weren't... positive, but I survived and picked up my engineering skills in school and college."

"To humble beginnings leading to greater things," Robin said, raising her glass once more.

Ed and Ben raised their glasses as well.

"Ben has certainly achieved greater things, and from what I understand, he's been successful in finding love as well. How about you, Ed? Have you found love? I don't see a wedding ring."

Ed's face flushed, and he gave her a bashful smile. "Yes. I've found love, and I have three beautiful daughters."

Robin grinned. "Pictures!" she insisted.

Ed didn't need much coercion to bring out his cell phone and pull up a picture of his triplets. He handed the cell to her, and she cooed over the images.

"They're lovely! Triplets?" she gasped, and Ed nodded proudly.

She handed the cell back. "And their mum?"

Ed swiped to the next picture. "In the black swimsuit," he said, handing it back.

Robin's eyes widened as she took in the number of bikini-clad women in the photo's background. She focused on the woman in the black one-piece and could see the love in her eyes. "I see where the daughters got their looks."

"Grace is very beautiful!" Ed said happily.

Robin's eyes widened. "Oh! Your cousin?"

Ed's smile slipped away. "Second cousins, actually."

Robin immediately looked contrite. "Please don't misunderstand. I'm not judging you! The heart wants what it wants, and you make a lovely couple!"

Ed's smile returned, and he nodded bashfully.

The lovely redhead looked at Ben and saw he had his cell phone in his hand. "Children?" she asked with a grin.

Ben nodded happily and showed her the photo of Tina holding Sam with Christopher leaning up against her side with a big smile on his face. Then he showed her the picture of Lucy with Gretchen.

"They're beautiful, and that was a lovely tribute to your daughter's namesake," Robin said gently.

Ben's smile wobbled a little, but he nodded.

"This is the first time I've met you on one of Sky Shepherd's flights. Do you travel much?" she asked Ben.

"No. I prefer to stay home with my family," Ben said. He looked at Ed in question.

Ed nodded. "I go with Louis and Dan on these developer meetings. Sometimes, I travel to inspect the buildings to ensure everything follows the specifications and the local building standards. I don't like traveling away from my family either."

"I don't have anyone at home, so I don't get homesick, which would be troublesome for someone in my line of work," Robin explained.

Ben sipped his water to relax his throat and nodded. "Meeting someone must be difficult when your job takes you away so much."

She nodded. "That's why I made a deal with myself to move on to another occupation when I turn thirty-five. Before taking this job, I've worked in several different fields, so I may go back to one of them when I've gotten this wanderlust out of my system."

The music playing in the background changed to a slower tune, and they watched two couples get up and move onto the dancefloor.

Robin looked at Ben with a hopeful smile, and it took him a moment to catch on.

"Oh! Would you like to dance?" he asked.

"I would if you don't mind?" she said as she rose to her feet at his nod.

Ben got up as well.

"I'm not a dancer, so I'm going to head back to my room. My head's spinning a little," Ed said.

"Goodnight, Ed. See you at breakfast," Ben said and patted the man on the shoulder as he followed Robin to the dancefloor.

They faced each other, and Ben took her hand in his as his other landed on her lower back to pull her closer. He moved them into the flow of the music, and Robin's eyes flashed with delight as she grinned at him. They smiled at the other couples enjoying the music then Robin sighed happily.

"I rarely get to dance, and I enjoy it so much," she said.

"You don't dance when you're alone?" he asked with a cheeky smile.

She grinned. "Of course I do! But dancing with a partner is so much better. Especially one who moves so beautifully. You've had lessons!"

He gave her a small smile. "A long time ago, but muscle memory is a strangely permanent thing."

They were quiet as they enjoyed the rest of the song and danced through the next two as well.

"I'd love to spend the rest of the night out here on the dancefloor with you, but I have an early start tomorrow," she sighed regretfully.

"I had a delightful time. You're a great dance partner," he said with a smile.

She bit her bottom lip as she looked at him, then smiled. "See you tomorrow."

He bowed over her hand and stepped back. She grinned, turned, and headed for the exit as he watched her leave. She was a strikingly lovely woman, and her movements were graceful like someone else....

Ben was about to head back to the table when he heard his song playing. The opening notes to When I Fall in Love caught him, and he couldn't move. The tide of emotions caught him by surprise.

-=-

"Are you all right? Ben?"

Liliya's hand was captured by Ben's, and he pulled her close as he moved them onto the dancefloor. She was a little stiff at first but quickly let him guide her, and they moved as one. She wanted to see his expression as he'd looked so lost moments before when she approached him.

She'd seen him freeze and went to make sure he was okay. Now she felt like a feather in the wind, giving him complete control of her movements. She'd had training in dance as it was a necessary skill to lure in her targets, but Ben's movements were pure heaven. She gave herself over to it and relied on Tatiana and Evelyn to remain vigilant for dangers as she enjoyed the dance.

When the song came to a close, Liliya finally got to see Ben's face, and she saw the tears there.

"Ben, come back."

He blinked, confused for a moment, then he looked at her, but she wasn't positive he was seeing her.

His lips landed softly on hers as his big hands gently touched her face. She pressed her mouth against his, and the kiss threatened to ignite her ears as he sensually caressed her lips with his. It was so sexy, her breath caught in her throat.

"NO!"

The shout was sharp and violent, jarring Liliya from the moment. She was trembling as she turned to look in the direction of Tatiana, who was storming toward them.

"STOP!"

Equally sharp and loud, the Sergeant stepped between Tatiana and her. She wanted to yell a warning to her as Tatiana wouldn't stop. She didn't see the Sergeant as a threat.

Tatiana lashed out lightning-fast with her right fist, but the Sergeant had already moved, and the punch sailed over her shoulder.

Then the brunette assassin hit the floor face first as her legs were swept out from under her. Evelyn had her pinned instantly.

Liliya worried that Evelyn might have taken a step too far.

-=-

Ben came out of his momentary confusion standing on the dancefloor clinging to Liliya as the Sergeant held Tatiana down.

"What the hell is going on?" Ben asked.

Liliya stepped away from him. "You reacted oddly to a song the DJ played for the dancers. Have you been subject to psychological programming?" Liliya asked.

"Get off me! I swear I will kill you if you don't," Tatiana snarled from the floor.

Ben blinked in confusion, then closed his eyes as he felt the memories fading. He'd had another regression. They were fewer and farther between, but he wasn't cured, it seemed.