The Shepherd's Crook Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I won't, Ben! I promise!" Richard said quickly.

"Good," Ben said with a nod. "Now, for the second reason I came here to speak to you." Richard's eyes showed his nervousness once more.

"After unveiling the first statue on the property of Alexis and Béatrice's B&B, I was told you made a second bronze statue for your own property. Stephanie agreed to this, I assume?" Ben asked.

Richard nodded, and Ben could see Henry had already made the leap and knew what his question would be. The man's expression showed his concern. Ben sighed.

"You've made a second copy of the new life-sized sculpture, haven't you?"

Richard's mouth worked then he nodded guiltily.

"Is Stephanie aware of this one?" Ben asked.

"No. She was rather distraught after the unveiling and hasn't allowed us to visit her since that night," Richard explained.

"The statue which the Singhs purchased is actually the second casting. The first had some flaws, so I set it aside and made a second one. After the disastrous unveiling, I came home and fixed the first one. I wanted to give it to Alexis, but she said no. I couldn't bring myself to destroy it."

"Where is it?" Ben asked.

Richard shared an uncomfortable look with Henry before he addressed Ben once more. "We've, ah, incorporated it into one of our guest houses."

Ben blinked in surprise. "What do you mean by that?"

Henry forced a smile onto his face and made a vague gesture with his hands. "It has become, how you say, a most popular feature of our B&B, yes? We do not advertise. Our guests tell friends and make online posts. The Shepherd's Cottage is fully booked through summer and fall and has many bookings in winter and spring. Tonight, a couple will arrive to stay in the cottage, so we have it prepared for them. They are skiers and will celebrate their tenth anniversary with a week here."

This was the most animated Ben had seen the retired doctor behave, but the answer wasn't satisfactory. "You haven't explained incorporated."

Henry glanced at Richard, whose face was reddening. He sighed at his partner's inability to cope with these situations. "I will show you. It is better," He paused as he looked at the others. "Will you come alone, or must they come too? I just cleaned the cottage."

Ben got a look from Fisher and sighed. "They promise not to touch anything and will remain just inside the front door," Ben said wearily.

"I will remain by your side," Liliya said.

"Me too," Evelyn insisted.

Henry looked at them curiously.

"My security detail. Russian hit teams seem to be after me," Ben grumbled.

Henry stared at Ben, then left and returned wearing his winter coat. "We will return shortly," he said to Richard.

Henry guided them out of the front door and around the building. "Please keep to the pathway. The fresh snow is more pleasing to the eye than messy footprints."

Ben shared a look with Fisher, but everyone remained on the path.

They crossed the property through the lovely woods until they came upon a quaint little log cottage amongst the trees. Ben nodded to Henry as he was impressed so far.

Henry used a key to open the door and removed his boots just inside before walking into a rustically decorated space with rich woods, leather, and warm fabrics. Ben appreciated the exposed logs and the beautifully handcrafted fireplace faced with an artistic pattern made of river stones. The open-concept room was warm and inviting, and Ben grinned as he could see himself enjoying this cottage very much. Then the nagging thought returned. Where was the statue?

"This is truly lovely, but I don't see the sculpture," Ben said as he removed his boots. Liliya and Evelyn did as well.

Henry walked them through the space to the far wall, where a door opened into a hall. Off the corridor was a fully equipped bathroom with all the modern necessities disguised to fit into the woodsy motif.

The hall continued, and they came around the wall on the cottage extension to see a large master bedroom. The back wall facing the bed had floor-to-ceiling windows, which must have cost a fortune as Ben reached out but felt no heat loss from that much glass.

Henry smiled. "Yes, they were expensive but worth it!"

Ben saw the room was at the edge of the woods with a drop-off beyond showing the valley below. The view was stunning!

"For all this," Henry said, gesturing to the expansive view, "the room is extremely private." Ben nodded as he turned from the window.

That's when he saw it.

The room was dominated by a huge four-poster bed that seemed capable of sleeping four, but someone was already in the bed.

It was him, or his brass doppelganger, that is.

Ben froze as he stared at how his brass replica was integrated into the huge bed on its right side like it was sleeping with—"Oh my god! Why would anyone want to sleep next to that?" Ben exclaimed loudly.

Henry was smiling gently as he watched the faces of the two women with him. "I think you should ask them," he said.

Ben caught the guilty look on Evelyn's face and the amused expression on Liliya's. "What?" he asked.

Evelyn answered first, which was uncharacteristic of her. "It's beautiful!" she blurted.

Liliya's composed features burst into a delighted grin as she nodded to the sergeant. "I agree. I would add that it gives one a sense of comfort knowing it's watching over you while you sleep."

Henry nodded with a smile as Ben tore his eyes away from the two women to look back at him. "Our guests claim they sleep very soundly here. Amongst other benefits," the smaller man said.

"Other benefits?" Ben asked cautiously.

Henry nodded. "We've received many comments from our guests. Some say it increased their intimacy with their partner. Others say it widened their sexual boundaries. Many claim it increased their fertility!"

"Fertility?" Ben asked, his eyebrows climbing with incredulity.

Henry grinned. "Yes, we are surprised how many couples report success in conceiving a child after staying in this cabin. It builds a reputation, yes?"

Ben made a noise of protest. "There's no way that could be proven!"

Henry held up his hands and shook his head. "We make no such claims. This is what our guests report on their own. They are happy, relaxed, and comforted by the... symbol they rest beside. These feelings are what improves their chances of conceiving. Those who were unsuccessful in making a baby still enjoyed their stay and tell us they wish to return."

Seeing Ben was somewhat mollified by that answer, he continued. "Couples only for this cottage, no singles. We did have one trio in a polyamorous relationship. They were very happy with their stay," Henry said with a satisfied smile.

Liliya was closest to the bed and touched the sculpture's chest. "Oh! It's warm!" she exclaimed in surprise. Evelyn immediately moved closer to feel it as well.

Henry had a pained look on his face as Ben looked at him, so the man explained. "We thoroughly clean the cottage, including the sculpture, between each visitor. I will have to do this again. Please refrain from touching anything."

"Apologies," Liliya said contritely.

Ben looked at him suspiciously, then back to the brass figure in the bed. "You clean this because it's being used... sexually?"

Henry fixed an expression of professionalism on his features as he addressed the question. "We do not judge our guests. We simply provide a healthy environment for them."

Ben watched him for a moment, but he wasn't going to expand upon that. The engineer in him was curious. "How are you heating it?"

Henry's smile returned. "Hot water piping throughout its form. It is an excellent bed warmer."

Liliya burst into laughter as Ben's face heated up with Henry's cheeky smile.

Fisher poked his head around the corner. "You're taking a long time back here—whoa! That's you!" he exclaimed as he moved closer to the brass reproduction of Ben. He reached out and touched its arm. "Holy shit! It's warm! Guys, come see this!" he called out.

Stim, Killjoy, and Dunno crowded into the room, and each was surprised to see the art incorporated into the furniture.

"Okay! We've all seen it. Let's go back to the chateau," Ben called out, and the commandos blinked at his tone but moved quickly out of the bedroom.

Ben looked at Henry. "Sorry about that."

"I am not surprised by their reaction, but it is tedious to clean," Henry admitted.

They got their boots back on and quickly made their way back to the front hall of the chateau. Richard was nervously waiting for them. Henry put away his coat and rejoined them as Ben addressed the couple.

"Your B&B is lovely, and I'm glad you seem to be having success with it. I wish I wasn't part of it, but I'm not going to ask you to get rid of the statue," he admitted and watched them sag with relief. "That said, it sounds like you've stumbled upon a bit of a windfall from which the creator hasn't benefited." He raised his palm to stop their protests. "I understand you couldn't speak to Stephanie as she was depressed. I've addressed that, and she is feeling much better now. I also understand Alexis refused to accept the art, but emotions were running high at the time, and she wasn't aware of the possibilities. I think it's time for you to speak with her and let her know." He sighed as he shook his head. "I can't believe I'm even having this conversation. It goes against my instincts, and I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of people using a brass replica of me for their... sexual boundary widening."

Fisher's team snorted quietly and found other places to look when Ben scowled in their direction.

Henry nodded. "That is more than fair. Richard and I will speak to Alexis and Béatrice at their earliest convenience."

Richard nodded. "We'll ensure they understand the potential benefits for their guests."

Ben raised a hand as he closed his eyes. "Okay, I think I've had about as much as I can take of this discussion. I appreciate your discretion in not advertising the existence of the sculpture. Please do your best to keep it out of the public eye. Thank you for your time."

"Thank you, Ben," Henry said, and Richard grabbed his hand to shake it gratefully.

Ben gave them a weak smile and then headed outside.

The drive back to the other B&B was quick, and they went inside to get warm. Fisher and Killjoy remained outside to do a sweep of the property.

Once inside, coats and boots were removed, and they joined the others in the living room, where they were relaxing and talking.

"How did it go, Ben?" Gabriella asked.

"Richard thought I was there to beat him up," Ben said and shook his head. "I got that straightened out. They know they're not to sell any more art of me to the public."

He looked at Alexis. "They will call you regarding an opportunity you should... take advantage of." He shuddered and looked at Gabriella. "That's all I'm going to say on that!" She gave him a sympathetic smile.

Alexis and Béatrice perked up.

Changing the subject, Ben's stomach grumbled.

He felt someone hug him from behind, and he looked down at unfamiliar arms in surprise.

Alexis, Béatrice, and Gabriella burst into giggles as Marie released Ben and rushed back to the kitchen, giggles trailing her as well.

"Was that my favorite French chef?" Ben asked with a smile.

"Yes, but you cannot have her!" Béatrice chided him. Ben pouted, drawing smiles from them again.

Alexis stood. "That also means lunch is ready."

Ben moved closer to her. "Will Stephanie be joining us?"

Alexis turned and hugged Ben tight. Then she looked up at him. "Yes! She promised to join us for every meal and to join us for our exercise in the morning. Thank you, Ben, for bringing her back."

He shook his head with a guilty frown. "It was my pig-headedness that made it go on this long. I was so hurt I couldn't see past that. Miscommunications between everyone. I never hated Stephanie. I love her."

Alexis and Béatrice made sweet noises and hugged Ben and Gabriella got in on the hug as well.

"I'm really hungry," Ben said from within the hug.

He saw Zama and Moon were watching him with smiles on their faces, as were the others.

"Let's go to the dining room," Alexis said to everyone as she released Ben. She led the way and pointed Ben to a chair in the middle of the long table.

Everyone settled in while Alexis kept the chair to Ben's left open for her sister. Gabriella sat on his other side.

The missing woman made an appearance in the doorway, appearing hesitant. "There she is. Come take your seat, Stephanie, next to Ben," Alexis said.

With a shaky smile, the woman walked unerringly to the open chair, which Ben assumed was her usual spot.

She settled in and squeaked slightly as Ben leaned over to kiss her cheek. Her hair was much softer and smelled sweet.

"Much better," Ben whispered into her ear, and her smile strengthened.

Marie brought out a large tureen of soup which smelled delicious. There was a basket of small baguettes on the table.

The group settled into the business of enjoying lunch and conversation centered around running a B&B and the quieter months.

"We have a few families joining us next week. They'll all be staying in the rooms upstairs as we don't use the cottages during the winter," Béatrice explained.

Alexis looked at her cousin. "Gabriella wouldn't give me any details on who would be joining us tonight, just that there would be ten people." She looked at Ben. "I never thought you'd be one of them."

He nodded as he enjoyed the soup.

Stim and Dunno thanked their hosts and left to take their turns outside.

Shortly Fisher and Killjoy entered the room with reddened cheeks. They took seats and began their meal.

As the meal wound down, Alexis had a question for Ben. "How many rooms will you require?" she asked.

Ben looked at Fisher.

"We won't need rooms as we'll stay on the main level and will be patrolling the property,' the CO explained.

"Are we in danger?" Béatrice asked.

Fisher shook his head. "No. I've been keeping in touch with the General, and he informs me they've picked up no indication of another hit team assigned to take out Ben. The spooks now report that Zhdankov may be in serious trouble for his last all-out effort. He may have overstepped his authority. It sounds unlikely he'll get any further resources assigned to him for a while."

"Then why are patrols necessary?" Béatrice insisted.

Fisher smiled. "While we don't expect an attack, we remain prepared for one. The security level will not be reduced until Ben is returned to his home. We promised the General."

Alexis looked at Gabriella. "So, how many?"

"One for me," she said. "One for Liliya, Evelyn, Zama, and Moon." She smiled at Ben. "Of course, one for Ben as well."

The ladies giggled, and Stephanie's face became quite pink as she grinned.

Ben wanted to change the subject, so he remembered something he wanted to ask Alexis. "Stephanie tells me you had a guest who hit it off with her. She was very personable, and they spoke frequently and even went into her studio."

Alexis smiled as she recalled the brief time when Stephanie appeared to be recovering. "Yes, she was a lovely woman. From England, I believe. She said she was doing a bit of a pilgrimage around the world. She'd just come from Australia, where she'd worked for a time to pay for her travels.

"Robin!" Béatrice said as she recalled the woman's name.

Then Alexis caught the worried expression on Ben's face. "What's wrong?"

"What did she look like?" Ben asked.

"She was very tall and beautiful, with long red hair—Ben, what is it?" Béatrice exclaimed as she saw his expression drop.

"I think this woman has been collecting information on me. I met her recently on a flight aboard Dennis' largest jet, and she was very easy to talk to. She also may have stolen one of Stephanie's pieces of me."

"What does that mean?" Fisher asked with a frown.

"A model of his penis," Stephanie said, and there was a burst of laughter which was quickly stifled as Ben scowled.

Gabriella was one of the few who hadn't laughed. "Sorry, Ben. You're right. It's not funny. It's a terrible invasion. What do you want to do?"

He gave her a grateful smile and then shook his head. He looked at Alexis. "You said she told you she was working in Australia?"

"That's what she said. I got the impression something bad happened as she wasn't too keen on talking about it," she replied.

Ben felt some unease moving through his chest. "I think I'd better give a business partner of mine a call. She might have visited him as well. If you'll excuse me?" He got nods. "Thank you for the delicious meal!"

He rose from the table and walked into the lounge, where he walked over to the window overlooking the chateau's front lawn, facing the valley below. Everything was peaceful and serene, covered in a pristine blanket of snow, including that damn brass statue that started so much grief.

He sighed and pulled out his cell.

"Excuse me, Ben?"

He turned to see Fisher standing behind him.

"Use this burner to make the call, please."

Ben's eyebrows rose. "Ah, sorry. Good idea. Thanks." With a nod, Fisher left him alone to make the call.

He opened his contact list to get Don Blake's phone number and dialed it on the burner. He wasn't worried about the time difference between Saint-Pierre-d'Albigny and Melbourne as Don hardly slept. As it rang, he worked out it was probably close to ten PM there.

"Hello?"

"Don, it's Ben Shepherd."

"Ben! How's my favorite silent business partner?" the man gushed with a smile in his voice.

"I'm doing okay. Listen, I just called as I've discovered some unsettling news. Have you met a woman named Robin?"

"Fuck. What did she tell you?" Don said, the happiness immediately snuffed from his voice.

Ben paused. "She didn't tell me anything. When I met her, she was a flight attendant. She was close by when I shared personal details of my life with another friend. I also found out she befriended a very close friend of mine who divulged very personal details of our time together. I learned she'd just come from Australia, where she worked for a short time. I wondered if she'd spoken with you."

"Wha—This was all about you?" Don snapped incredulously.

"Don, you'd have to tell me what happened before I can answer that. Firstly, what did she look like? Let's make sure we're talking about the same woman," Ben said sternly.

"Tall. Beautiful. Red hair that fell down her back. God, she was lovely." Don's anger was fading into a melancholy, and Ben had a bad feeling about that.

"British?"

"Yeah, that's her," Don sighed. "Ben, I fucked up. Really fucked up. Against my better judgment and my lovely Rita's instructions, I hired the beauty as my personal assistant. It was November of last year. I was interviewing candidates, and she waltzed in with excellent qualifications for the job and those legs."

Ben didn't want to hear Don's confession as he knew the man's history and could guess, but he remained silent as the man got it off his chest. Don likely didn't have anyone else to speak to about it.

"Robin really was a brilliant assistant. So incredibly organized and friendly with all the staff. Everyone liked her. She even struck it off with the Wild Dogs and went out drinking with them. At the Christmas party, I had a little too much to drink, and we were talking... mostly about you. It was just the two of us in my office. I don't recall who made the first move, but Rita showed up unexpectedly and caught us. She left me and filed for divorce the next day. I had to let Robin go."

"I'm sorry to hear about your marriage. You two seemed like a great couple," Ben said in sympathy.

"Did you say Robin was only working here to get information on you? This was your fault?" Don's anger was resurfacing.

1...1920212223...25