The Shepherd's Crook Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Killing time.

He stepped from the toilet stall and saw the Russian slut standing inside the entrance of the men's room.

"No—"

Before he could lift his gun, she opened up with twin silenced guns already locked on him.

Renzo felt the first few bullets ripping through him, then he was on the floor, trying to suck air into his lungs as they filled with blood.

It wasn't supposed to happen this way.

She'd taken the big guns from his limp hands. That wasn't right.

Next, she opened his jacket, removed his extra weapons, and pulled the picture of her partner from his inner pocket. It was stained with his blood and had a bullet hole through it, but he saw she recognized who it was.

Fuck! He wanted so much to put a bullet through that pretty head of hers.

Her eyes locked onto his as she stood, stepped back, and lifted her weapon to point it at his forehead.

"Da. For the families," she said.

"N-no—"

-=-

Liliya spoke quietly into her mic and stepped over to the sink. She rinsed the blood from the photo, dried it with paper towels, folded it, and tucked it away in her pocket. Another death on Tatiana's hands and hers. She washed the blood traces from her face, hands, and leather.

Three commandos slipped into the men's room and glanced at her. She tipped her head toward the corpse, and they immediately moved to the body, collecting the weapons and ammo. Then the would-be killer went into a body bag.

The closing zipper was loud in the otherwise silent tiled room.

They quickly carried the bag from the washroom and into a service stairwell. Liliya followed them out but returned to the table. As she approached, she nodded to the Sergeant, who was on her way to notify the restaurant manager to close the men's room. Then she'd coordinate with the squad and the police who were on their way. She'd also get a cleaner team to deal with the mess in the men's room.

Ben looked to Liliya. "Something I should be concerned about?" he asked.

"No."

His eyes dipped to her cleavage. "Uh, you missed a spot."

She looked down and smiled at him as she dipped her napkin in her drinking water and dabbed the blood spot from her breast.

"Is-is that blood?" Phil asked in shock.

She smiled at him. "It's not mine."

"Did... did someone die?" he asked quietly.

Liliya nodded. "Better him than us, yes?"

Phil's eyes swung to the table where once sat a solitary diner, then back to Liliya, who nodded slightly once more as she held his eyes.

"How did you know?" Phil asked.

"I should give away all my secrets?" she asked with a teasing smile.

Phil held up his hands. "No! No, of course not, but this is a first for me. How-uh, how close did we come to being gunned down?"

"Since we arrived, he did not behave like the other diners. Then he made awkward efforts to avoid looking directly at us when Lorraine was yelling. I followed him to the restroom and saw he was preparing to kill. After I dealt with him, I discovered he was carrying six handguns and extra ammunition." She sighed wearily. Her accent came through with her disgust. "He was like bad action hero in stupid American movie with ridiculous big guns. Too big. They should call them Desert Emu, not Eagle."

Phil's shaky hand held his water glass as he wet his suddenly dry mouth. When she mentioned the weapons, he sprayed his drink onto the table and began to cough.

Liliya moved to pat his back, but he shook his head and raised a hand to indicate he was okay.

Evelyn returned and whispered in Ben's ear. His expression soured, but he nodded to her as she stepped back.

"I'm sorry, Phil. It looks like we'll have to take a raincheck on dinner tonight. I need to spend some time dealing with the local law authorities. They get a little belligerent when the US Army steps in to claim jurisdiction."

He looked at Ashley. "This wasn't how I wanted to end your visit to New York either." He paused a moment. "Maybe you'd like to stay with Phil to have dinner while I deal with this mess at the police station? We'll leave one of the cars with you, and they can drive you?"

Ashley looked at Phil, whose eyes lit up. "I'd welcome the company," he said hopefully. "Perhaps not this restaurant, though?"

She nodded her agreement with him about changing venues, then looked back at Ben. "You don't mind?"

He smiled at her. "I'd be happier knowing you got to have dinner with charming company instead of sitting in a police station."

Ashley's smile broadened. "Then yes, I'll stay with Phil."

Ben kissed her on the temple, waved at Phil, then followed Evelyn out.

Liliya stood next to the table and smiled at the two of them. "Enjoy your dinner, and I'll see you tomorrow morning at breakfast, Ashley."

She paused with a sly smile. "Or will I?"

Ashley's face turned pink, and her eyes widened in surprise as Liliya walked away with a grin and an extra spring in her step.

She'd protected Ben tonight.

She'd begun to repay his generosity, and that felt so good!

Chapter 40

Ben was happy to be home as the previous night had been long. The New York City Police Commissioner was particularly salty about his use of a paramilitary commando team for security within Manhattan and was particularly annoyed he could do nothing about Liliya gunning down one of his citizens in a restaurant within the same. The Sergeant explained she was permitted to conceal and carry anywhere within the United States and was immune from prosecution when fulfilling her duties as a special agent of the United States Army.

The man looked like he might pop a blood vessel in his forehead until Ben suggested he accept credit for taking a dangerous killer off the streets of his city. Ben and his team had no desire to make this claim. The hitman was carrying enough firepower to kill every guest at the restaurant, a likely outcome had he not been pre-emptively dealt with. He suggested the commissioner could spin it any way he wished as long as Ben's name was not mentioned. This would increase his ability to make the story accepted.

After he left the police station, he and Evelyn spoke with the commando team and filled them in on the Police Commissioner taking credit for the capture of the mad gunman. They snorted in amusement but knew the score and had no issue remaining invisible.

Ben relaxed back against the cushions of his favorite chair and recalled how late it had been when Ashley returned to their room.

She'd had a wonderful time with Phil when it was just the two of them. They'd gone to a small restaurant in his neighborhood for an intimate dinner for two. They ate good food and talked for hours, finally closing the place down. Ashley confessed to Ben that she'd boldly hugged him before she got in the truck for her drive back to the hotel.

Ashley had looked so conflicted when she sat on the edge of the bed. He'd just smiled at her and reminded her of Gabriella's lesson on love. It didn't change his feelings for Ashley that she was also attracted to Phil. Ben told her that he liked Phil and thought he was a great person deserving of love and affection.

She shook her head with an embarrassed smile. She explained that she didn't feel that way about Phil. She liked him very much, but she wasn't looking for a boyfriend as her life was so full, with her family and her studies. Ben was everything she needed at the moment. She'd let Phil know this, too, gently.

Ashley confessed that during the evening, she'd pretended she was on a date with Phil, trying to assess what it might feel like to be in Ben's position with more than one love interest. She smiled at him with wide eyes and a tremulous smile as she saw the relationship from his side, and it took her breath away.

It was also seriously conflicting with her faith. He suggested she might wish to expand the definition of love they referenced in the book, but it was up to her.

Ben chuckled as he recalled how affectionate she'd been before he convinced her they had to get some sleep for the flight home.

She'd been a little dreamy-eyed at breakfast this morning, much to Liliya's amusement.

Phil had surprised them at the airport, where he gave Ashley a small bouquet of flowers, his cell number written on an attached card, and a promise to visit when his schedule permitted. Ashley's grin and her blush were wonderful to behold. When Ashley kissed his cheek, the surprised look on Phil's face made Ben chuckle. He'd given the man a hug once Ashley skipped away to board their plane.

Ben knew the paparazzi were catching the entire interplay, and he wondered what they'd make of it. He hoped it didn't affect Ashley too badly, but he wasn't worried about Phil.

Liliya and Rose would enjoy dinner with Ben and his family tonight.

When they arrived, Ben noticed they were ten minutes early.

"Rose has been so excited about dinner tonight!" Liliya said with Rose sitting on her hip.

Ben leaned in and kissed the young girl's cheek. Then Rose pulled Ben's and Liliya's faces together, and he gave the mother a sweet kiss. Liliya's eyes were twinkling happily as she looked up into Ben's. Her face reddened, so she looked at her daughter.

"You are such a tease, Rose!"

The girl burst into laughter, putting another smile on the mother's face.

The doorbell rang again, and Ben managed to get to it before Tina. He grinned back at her and opened the door to see Chanel standing there.

The woman leaped forward to hug him and planted kisses on both cheeks.

Surprised, Ben moved inside, and she came with him.

"What was that for?" he asked with a smile.

"Your contacting Barry Walker for me has locked down the case for us! The man was very suspicious of his neighbor. He said he met Marion once and something about the man set his nerves off. He kept meticulous records of the comings and goings, dates and times, with photos! He didn't have their names, but he wrote down the license plates of the car service they used to get to the house and leave. I subpoenaed the company for the names and addresses of those customers. Barry said his wife was very upset with him for doing all this, but it kept him occupied, so she left him alone.

He put all this information into a photo album. He's been holding onto it for years and almost threw it away when he moved to Florida, but the album somehow made it into a box he took with him. He was so excited that someone wanted the information. I had it shipped by expedited courier to the station, and we've matched the faces in Barry Walker's album to the nine of the twelve home investors. This proves they were there. The others had no public presence for us to compare the photos against, so we'll match their faces to names when the limousine company records come in.

Most importantly, we have Marion Spencer. He was in most of the photos. He ran the club. He was the one who greeted all his guests. And Barry caught it with his camera."

"Congratulations on solving the case! I'm sure Shelly will be relieved to know the offenders will be charged—" He stopped when he saw Chanel's smile weaken.

She shook her head. "I spoke with my captain. He said we don't have enough physical evidence to link these people to the crimes. He's not willing to go to court with just the photographic evidence your neighbor provided. The DNA evidence found in the cellar was badly degraded. So, the only one who will be charged with the deaths will be Marion Spencer. But as the monster said, he will not see the inside of a courtroom. He will take the easy way out and refuse further dialysis treatments. The case is closed, and we will be able to put the poor souls we found in the cellar to rest. The families have been notified."

Ben scowled. "The others just get to walk away completely untouched?"

Chanel nodded. "One of them is a judge. My captain was very explicit that we would not be taking the case any further. They have their scapegoat; they want the case to be over." She looked like she had a bad taste in her mouth.

Her eyes lifted to lock onto Ben's. "I'm ready to accept your offer. I am done with law enforcement when it will not hold the guilty accountable for their crimes. There is a sickness, a corruption that has weakened the moral integrity of our institutions of law. I cannot be a part of it any longer. I will close off my cases as ordered and give my notice."

Ben nodded. "I'm sorry for the circumstances that led you to this decision, but I'm grateful you made it. The job is yours. I'll contact Walter to let him know and to get the ball rolling." He paused for a moment. "May I assume you received this cease-and-desist order from your captain in writing?"

She nodded and smiled grimly. "I have a copy to protect myself." She sighed and shook her head sadly at the need for such things.

"Thank you, Ben. Now I must go home and prepare for Catherine's arrival. I will tell her the news tonight. I know she's been hoping I would take the job. This should make her happy."

Ben smiled. "I hope you can find some joy in it as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make it work better for you."

"Thank you. Good night," she said, and she nodded to the group as she stepped outside.

Liliya set Rose down on her feet, and the girl rushed into the living room with Christopher. Tina picked up that Ben needed to speak with Liliya, so she and Lucy carried the kids into the room to give them a moment to talk.

"I could deal with these people, much like Tatiana did to the crime families—"

"Thank you, no. I won't use you like a weapon as the Colonel did. That life is over," Ben insisted firmly.

Liliya nodded with a slight smile on her lips. "But you won't let them get away with this."

Ben shook his head and pulled out his cell phone. He dialed a number and waited as it rang.

"Ben! How are you?" Walter answered.

"I'm doing well. You?" he asked.

"Very well. We're getting really busy with the approaching opening date," Walter said with a smile in his voice.

"Great! Listen, two things, and the first is easy. Chanel Babineaux is leaving the police force and has accepted my offer to be the Head of Security for the Shepherd's Foundation. Can you get the ball rolling on that?"

"That's good news! Certainly!" Walter said happily.

"Secondly, I have a hypothetical question of legality," Ben started.

"Oh-oh. Okay, let me have it," Walter said cautiously.

"There was some documentation you asked Grace to create for you regarding previous owners of Fourteen Ashburn Court. A forensic accounting search for names of the previous owners."

"Yes," Walter acknowledged hesitantly.

"This information went to the police for their investigation. Do you still have it, and are there any legal ramifications for me to request it?" Ben asked.

"Well... you paid for the work, and I haven't yet received a court order to seal the documents, so no. There are no legal ramifications if you request it," Walter said.

"Send me all the documentation you have available on the previous owners, please, as soon as possible," Ben insisted.

"As your lawyer, I should mention I recognize the name of a prominent judge in that list. What actions you take once you have the list may have legal ramifications," Walter cautioned.

"I wouldn't dream of doing anything with this information, but I want it. Soon."

Walter hesitated, then sighed. "I'll send you the files within the hour."

"Thanks, Walter! Have a good night!" Ben hung up.

"What are you going to do with this information?" Liliya asked.

"I don't know... yet," Ben said quietly. "But they have to face the consequences for their actions."

Liliya nodded. This could wait.

Ben put a smile on his face, walked to the living room entrance, and rubbed his hands together vigorously. "Did someone say something about dinner?"

Christopher and Rose cheered as Tina and Lucy smiled back at him.

Time for family now. Vengeance would come later.

-=-

Sergey Zhdankov stood before the grim faces of his senior chiefs.

"We were led to believe you would be able to deal with this issue with the engineer quickly and quietly. But you have not done this. Instead, you have cost us four assets, and the engineer continues to work for the US military," Senior Chief Herescu noted.

"His protection was comprised of two of the finest operatives the late Colonel Vasiliev ever created, Liliya Sokolov and Tatiana Pushkin. That said, Tatiana has left his employ after attempting to kill him herself. I can only assume that Liliya prevented her from accomplishing her goal. She's the only one who could have."

"Where is Pushkin now?"

"She has gone to ground. Vanished without a trace. This is another skill Vasiliev taught her. However, I expect her to return to the only home she knows. Here," Sergey said calmly.

That created a stir amongst the gathered chiefs. "Should we not increase our alert status?"

"She is not a threat to us. We give her life meaning. She now knows she cannot live in the civilian world. Vasiliev made sure of this. She needs us. We should remain vigilant for threats, but she will come willingly to us when she can do so safely," Sergey said confidently.

"In the meantime, there has been some activity in the FBI which leads us to believe they may be about to eliminate a useful weapon from our arsenal. Before we lose the opportunity, I am recommending we call upon their little domestic terrorist cell to do our bidding once more. This will cost us nothing and may eliminate the engineer," Sergey suggested.

"Are there no higher priority targets we could utilize them for?" Chief Bolonov suggested, sending a scornful look Sergey's way. The man was not a fan of Vasiliev, and this disdain included his replacement.

"You have only a short time to decide," Sergey offered as he looked around. None of the others had targets they were ready to act upon, so they remained silent.

Bolonov wasn't finished. "The engineer is still protected by what must be the best of Vasiliev's killers. What good will sending some amateurs after him?"

Sergey was ready for this. "Definitely, she is the best. But even she cannot defend against thirty soldiers."

"Thirty?" Herescu gasped. "How is this being subtle?"

Sergey nodded. "Because they have no affiliation to Russia? There is no link back to us for this attack. None of our resources will be involved. It was unfortunate we lost one on the first attempt, but we learned of the effectiveness of his security team in that encounter."

The group conferred as Sergey waited. They finally faced him once more.

"As you've said, this uses a resource we will soon have no access to, so there is little harm in expending it now. If you can assure us there will be no way to tie it back to activity from us, you may proceed," Herescu asserted.

"Thank you," Sergey said.

With a final look at Bolonov, Sergey saluted his senior officers and left the room. He had an operative to give some exciting news to. They were going to launch their American puppets into an act of domestic terror against a quiet little American suburb.

Chapter 41

Ben enjoyed quiet time at home working on a few projects the General sent his way. He parked the battery project until Evelyn could find another facility willing to let them set up a lab in it. None of Davis' projects involved weapons, so Ben felt a little more comfortable with the work.

He'd spent two weeks prototyping solutions and resolved some weight issues with their backpack contents with a new tubular design for an interior skeleton mesh. This shaved eight pounds from the typical kit and increased its durability.

The design he came up with for the honeycomb mesh metal tubing had some interesting secondary properties, which Ben thought might have application in body armor, so he and Evelyn took on a second project from the General to create a more lightweight armor plating worn by soldiers.

1...34567...25