The Signal Ch. 04: Espionage

Story Info
The Cipher Society faces an enemy from within.
5.7k words
3.4
976
00

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 01/14/2024
Created 08/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 4: Suspicion

Galaoua Cipher Society Headquarters, 3 years and 3 months after contact.

"We've got an order of new parts coming in today," Gallo squinted at the bill in his hand, and then looked away in a bit of shock.

"Say that again? New parts?" Tika turned to her husband in a bit of disbelief followed by suspicion, "I don't remember us ordering some before."

"Yeah, new 3D-molded parts we ordered from a company across the state. We don't have the tools to make the molds en masse."

"Well, it's nice that somebody out there decided to look out for us." She consoled, "I just find it a bit... odd. But let's wait and see."

Gallo looked back at the table. Strewn atop it was the under-circuitry for the translator. "How much would our sponsor be willing to pay? Expenses and material costs I mean."

He quieted down deep in thought over the budget price range.

"Can I see that bill- oh... umm..." Gallo gave her the bill. Her eyes widened in more disbelief with what she saw.

"Tika? How much was this month's budget?"

"20,000 gatts."

"And how much money do you say we invested in this thing?"

"A bit too much I would think."

Gallo nods in solemn agreement, "this month's going to be a little tight. No, very tight."

Tika shook her head down and sighed through her nostrils. "Well, that's just stupid! Well, let's hope these parts will be worth it."

Two hours later

Gallo and a few other engineers continued their work and study of the inner workings of the 'universal translator,' coordinating their efforts. Then came a knock on the door.

"Oh, well that's fast. I'll get it!" Gallo sets down his tools and walks briskly to the door.

On the other side of the door reveals, not the delivery man with the parts but a single individual. He was a campicursor like Gallo, but his plumage is blue-black with some white splotches laid symmetrically at his sides. Also, unlike Gallo with his yellow-orange eyes, the visitor had blue-green eyes. This is a coloration typical of Okashkans.

"Why hello there," he greeted with a deep, accented voice. "I take it this is Gallo Timulla of the Cipher Society?"

"Why yes! Yes it is! Yourself?"

"Lykra Takosha. My family and I have lived in Galaoua for fifty years. I've been looking into your organization and was very intrigued by it. I've wanted to become a part of that project. Is it alright if you take me in for a moment?"

"Sure! But let me get my wife real quick. Tika?"

"Yeah?"

"There's somebody at the door here. He wants to become a new member and wants to talk with us!"

"Bring him over to the guest room, I'll be right with you!"

"Okay!" He turns back to Lykra. "Looks like you got yourself an approval. Let's head on over to the guest room and discuss things. Care for some tago juice?"

"Certainly!"

A few minutes later, Gallo and Tika sat down side-by-side facing this potential newcomer Lykra, who calmly sipped the tago juice from a plastic cup through a straw. It is a type of sour-sweet berry juice with an orange color.

"So, Lykra is it?" Tika pushed her glasses up as she addressed the guest, "tell us about yourself."

"I was born here, in Galaoua," he answered, "but my family came from Oukashka. But fifty years ago, when the Tsar Tyl II came to power, he cracked down and brutalized all he suspected of resisting him. My family escaped and settled in Unohua."

"That's terrible," Gallo sympathized, knowing how brutal the tyrant tsar's regime was.

"Yes, it was. Many thousands escaped and fled across the world, but millions perished under his paranoid crusade. Not even members of his own cabinet were safe. It was not surprise when his cousin, Ulgesskr, the father of the present tsar, deposed him and took the throne for himself after only a six-year reign."

"Yeah," Tika commented, "Tsar Tyl was the one who started the whole war. Ulgesskr II only took on the reigns during the final years before proposing the ceasefire. That ceasefire still stands today, with his son, Ulgesskr III still keeping it. But before we go too far into a tangent, can you tell us about your capabilities, including your educational and professional background?"

"Yep," Gallo said, sniffing and wiping the tears off his face with a tissue. "Do tell us about your professional background?"

Lykra saw in him in his state. "Are you alright, sir?"

"I'm fine, really." He sniffled, "I am."

"Not to worry, that is far behind us now."

Tika just rolls her eyes at this.

"Now then, professions," Lykra continued. "I studied in Cultural Studies at the University of New Otaga. I had an interest in the languages and cultures of the world for a long time, as well as of international relations."

"Okay," Tika nodded, "with what degree?"

"I have two four-year degrees. I already mentioned Cultural Studies but my other degree was in Political Theory."

"Interesting," Tika answered. "It sounds like you were looking to be a diplomat of sorts, handling public relations and across nations. Is this correct?

"Quite."

"Then what motivated you to become a member of the Cipher Society? We are one of an international network of hundreds or even thousands of organizations, each dedicated to deciphering extraterrestrial messages for the benefit of Gaka-kind."

Lykra answered, "when the aliens came to us from across the galaxy, I saw that my talents could be used for a higher purpose. I wished to contribute to the unity of the world, instead of merely negotiate and handle relations between countries. I think we all can agree with that, no?"

"I agree with you," Gallo said. "You've come at an interesting time in our history, with the latest information being sent by the aliens and all that."

"The latest information given by aliens," he leaned slightly to Gallo with an interested look. "From what I gather it is a communication device, correct?"

"Correct, it's a communication device... of a sort," Gallo corrected. "We don't fully know the nature of this device yet. How can you tell?"

It was that moment that ruffled Tika's feathers, both figuratively and literally. How in the world did this visitor know? This was supposed to be classified information.

"Oh I heard rumors that it's a communication device, from the grapevine as it were. There's nothing that can confirm until you say so."

Now Gallo's neck feathers spread out a little, stumped at the news. "The information spread to public?"

"Yes, you recall that the results get announced on public television?"

This calmed Tika and Gallo's nerves. Apparently, they haven't been out in the world often for quite a while. Perhaps they missed out?

"Oh, I get it!" Gallo exhaled and put his head down, "I keep forgetting about that for some reason. So," he straightened himself back up, adjusting himself, "linguistics and culture. We think that with your talents and the very thing we happen to be working on, we think you'll be an excellent addition to our Society, or at the very least this project. But what do you think, Tika?"

"Hmm..." she touches her lower beak with her finger in thought. "Let's see how he does. We don't have a lot of linguistics people here so..."

Lykra waited tensely for an answer.

"...you're hired."

"Excellent! I am honored to hear it." He gets up and shakes the couple's hands.

"Were looking forward to your progress here," Gallo said, "were almost finished with the translator, you see."

Lykra froze upon hearing this. "Translator?"

"Well, the insides," Gallo elaborated. "We can use a translator like you after all."

"Wonderful! It will be an honor to work with you."

After not even an hour, there was another knock on the door.

"Special delivery for the Cipher Society?" The mailman wheeled in a giant cardboard box on a dolly cart.

After opening it, Gallo found exactly what he was looking for - a series of helmet molds, all hollowed-out for implanting circuitry. "Well, look at this!"

"It's about time. What is it?" Tika came in.

"The helmet molds! They're here! We need them to put our translator together. Thank you, kind sir!"

"No problem!"

"Hmm..." Gallo mulled over the package on the table, looking nonplussed, "our month's budget was burned through, and all for a light-up bicycle helmet."

Indeed, their translator device resembled a helmet with blinking lights atop it. At least it seemed to be working.

"Huh," Tika looked over the helmet, "apparently it was meant to be mass-produced so that everybody could wear them, and the interior lining of that helmet is what scans our brains."

The couple exchanged glances before looking at the device again.

"I guess our interstellar visitors have quite the sense of humor," Gallo mused.

"Well, it seems unpleasant and a bit too heavy for the head. I think we should at least give it a test run before we go back to the drawing board."

"Yeah, I hear you. We might have given it too many parts. Maybe we should use that matter converter to build some lighter material?"

"Agreed, but first we need to get a willing test subject."

"Or experiment on one of those little animals and see if we can talk to them?"

Tika looked at him doubtfully, "I'm not sure if we could go that far. Let's find a volunteer."

"Good idea," he turns around to the rest of the staff. "Okay, everyone! Stop what you're doing! Our first prototype is up and running! Who will like to give it a test run?

Immediately multiple hands were raised clearly excited about the new device, more than he expected.

"Okay then, hmm..." He surveys the roster as he thought over his choices, "looks like everybody here is excited."

Then he points to a larger gaka, a torkashkanu native to the arctic regions with white feathers, dark spots and slate-grey skin. "How about you? Tola? How about you give it a shot?"

"Alrighty then," Tola gets up from his stool. "Let's do this."

He gets up from his chair and approaches Gallo, with Tika watching from the sidelines.

Tika gave the instructions. "I'll provide the language test. I will be speaking in my native language and then see what happens."

"Excellent. Now, careful there. This thing is a little heavy." Gallo carefully puts the thing on Tola and puts on the strap beneath his chin. "Now, how are you feeling?"

"I'm doing oh-ahh!!" He accidentally slipped to the floor, and the helmet let off a loud reverberating clang as he comedically made impact. "I'm ok..."

The helmet proved to be quite durable. The internal workings were another matter.

Someone else in the audience quipped, "at least the helmet's okay."

A few chuckled at this.

Gallo slapped his hand against his face and groaned. "We should probably get some cushioning for the inside to prevent concussions."

"I'll get an order immediately," a defeated-looking Tika sighs and walks elsewhere.

"Someone get him an ice bag."

Tola chuckled yet winced slightly as he stood on his knees, running the side of his head.

Meanwhile Lykra chuckled at the incident, covering his beak politely. Unseen by everyone however, there was a dark glint at his eye. Little do the fools know, he thought privately, is that inside your little prototype is a listening device that goes directly to the King himself! Everything you say he will hear.

He watches on, watching everyone helping Tola onto his feet so casually, being able to laugh off the little accident like it was nothing. Certainly, accidents happen in any testing, but if any of the king's agents found out everyone involved would have been severely punished, even executed if it was severe enough.

Nevermind that, he told himself as she shook his head of the thought, his service is to Oukashka and that is that.

Tika, however, noticed this. Though she could not read his mind, she gave him a suspicious glance before helping Tola up. She will have to examine the newcomer further.

Two months after Lykra's arrival

"Alright," Gallo stood at a control console while holding a clipboard and pen in hand. "Testing of the Squawkbox, Mk V is now in session. Tola, the helmet please."

Tola nods and puts the helmet onto himself. It doesn't feel as heavy this time.

"How does it feel?" Gallo asked Tola.

"At least my head isn't leaning to one side. I think we're doing great."

"Alrighty then," Tika steps forward to Talo. "Let's wait for the thing to calibrate and then I will begin the language test."

"Alright, activating device," he holds up a finger over a small button. "...now."

He pressed it, instantly turning all the devices on.

Right away, Tola can hear Tika's words without even speaking.

Let's see, greetings? A simple hello? Numbers? Ahh, dammit! It's starting! Think of something, quick!

Tola then glanced over to some other members, listening to their thoughts. He looked over to N'ka, a smallish africanus from a desert-dwelling ethnicity, who looks at him in turn.

Why is he wearing that silly bicycle helmet? N'ka thought. You'd think our space-plants would come up with something not so ridiculous!

"Hmm... it's translating," Tola spoke aloud. "But it's translating the minds of everybody I look at."

"Hmm..." Gallo tapped his beak with the blunt end of his pen. "Looks like we're going to have to make some tweaks. You may remove the helmet."

"Removing helmet," Tola was about to take off the helmet just as he was glancing at Lykra, catching a glimpse of his thoughts for a moment.

It translates everyone's thought- ahh! I must clear my mind before he finds out. Then he inexplicably does a quick breathing exercise to wipe his mind clean while that helmet is on him, doing his best to not look suspicious.

Tola quietly took off his helmet, stumped and unsure of what to think about that. But not before hearing something like "listening device."

Gallo set his pen back down, "we might have to do some more fine-tunning on the brain-wave transceiver. I'm so glad he wasn't receiving everyone's thoughts at once; he would've gone crazy. I would not want that in my conscience!"

Tola nodded quietly as he got back in line, standing as far away from Lykra as he could.


"Lykra was just shutting out his mind when I looked at him, and he was making brief mentions to a listening device. It's like he was hiding something."

"Chill out man, aren't you overreacting here?"

Tola, Gallo and Tika all sat facing one another at the main office. Tola was explaining what he experienced with Lykra while he was wearing the device, and his own suspicions of him.

Gallo paused as he thought more carefully at what Lykra mentioned.

"But then again," Tika added, "he did mention in our interview that he majored in Political and Cultural Sciences."

"That's true he did," Gallo answered. "But does that necessarily mean he has an ulterior motive? And if he really did have a listening device implanted someplace, where would he hide it in anyway?"

"And more importantly, why was it in his mind? And why was he trying to hide it? Something is very suspicious here." She turned to Tola, "any indication on what it looked like, or where it was?"

"No. He just said there was one somewhere."

"Odd. Where could that be?" Tika gave it some thought as she thought of something. It wasn't long before realizing something that unnerved her. "...wait. Don't tell me."


Gallo opened the original prototype translator - quietly.

At first, he saw nothing unusual, just the typical pieces-parts and wiring.

But then he sees something odd. He saw a small copper disk hidden inside the wiring and circuitry of the interior.

"Hmm..." Using a pair of tweezers, he quietly poked at the device, careful not to make too much sound.

After some delicate work the disk was pried loose, done without incident. It was taken out quite easily, like it was hastily planted in as opposed to professional work. As he pulled it out, he caught a glimpse of something on the other side. It looked like text.

He carefully shone a little light on the other side of the coin, staring at whatever it is. His eyes widen at what he saw. It was text, all in the Oukashkan script, wrapping itself along the rim and around the center like in a coin.

"What have you done, Lykra?"

He soon dropped it into a jamming box from his tweezers as he left the room.

"It's official, there's a spy among us - an Oukashkan one."

Tola let off a squall of alarm, clasping his beak instinctively.

"What?! How?" Tika shouted, "and what is that you're holding?"

"It's that jamming box we purchased a few months ago." Indeed, he was holding a metal box in his hands. "Inside is a communication device linked to the Oukashkan royal government."

"Lemme see it."

Gallo nodded and handed her the box. The device inside was still active and sending signals.

Tika gasped as he saw Oukashkan characters on what is supposed to be an audio-converter disk. Worse, she was able to decipher some text on the bottom: King Ulgesskr III.

Gallo carefully made the two shush, closing the box again. He was stunned, holding a livid tempest behind his eyes. "For two months, the King has been given information regarding the technology we've been making."

Tika looked slowly up to her husband, and then set the box down with furled eyebrows. "Gallo? I think it's time we asked a certain 'friend' of ours some questions."

"My thoughts exactly."

"I'll go get the tools," Tola heads off elsewhere while the couple forms a plan.

"How do you suppose we catch him?" Gallo asked.

Tika chuckled, "I have a special plan for that."

She taps one foot on the floor, showcasing her powerful legs. She knew exactly what she was going to do.


When nightfall came, after everyone left the building for home, someone was still there checking his surroundings. Silently he slipped onto the main office and to one of the computers. In one hand he withdrew a small adapter cable, alongside a small storage bank.

Meanwhile, Tika hid behind one of the desks and observed quietly, hiding in the dark and waiting for an opportunity to strike. It was difficult to tell in the dim lighting but the lighting from the computer screen should reveal his face.

Slipping into the main chair Gallo worked in, the man started up the computer and preparing to insert the drive. The light from the screen reveals it all. It was Lykra.

"You slimy..." Tika whispered very quietly. "Just what are you up to?"

Lykra soon inserted the hard drive, quickly skimming through the folders for schematics and information on their projects. Tika gasped softly. She knew she had no more time to waste.

"Is this what he was doing? All this time?"

He stared into the screen motionless, focused and silent. He knew exactly what he was doing. He was just about to press the button to begin file transfer, through which the king and his cabinet may misuse the information for his own ends.

"You won't be stealing any of our honest work today, you filthy mudrat." Tika prepares to make her move.

Once the transfer began, he spoke, scoffing quietly and speaking in his own tongue. "[Those fattened, boneless Unohuans don't deserve the gains that they get. We will know how to use them responsibly. Now, once I download more of these files I will report back to the capital and-]"

"AIIIIIIII -YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!" The shrill battle cry made him jump and fall of his chair, cursing in his native tongue.

"[What in Gods' names!]"

Before he knew it - POW!! something gave him a vicious kick in the cheek, sending him flying and tumbling along the ground with much noise.

"[You crazy whore!]" As soon as he stopped rolling, he fixed his gaze at his attacker. He hastily reached for something in his waist and then pulled it out. It was a concealed handgun!

12