The Society Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Links also began compressing and moving around their fingers, adjusting to create an optimal fit now that it was turned on. Kodi noticed that it felt snugger around her hand, but not too tight that it was squeezing. Both of them went to the wrist panel, pinched their index finger and thumb, then extended it to release the bigger virtual control panel.

"Wow." That was all Kodi could say as she marveled at their work.

The control panel showed a chart that had information for each of them already compiled, preset before the launch of the prototype. It showed their name, and then under had a list of categories. There was at least a dozen of them, and it seemed to go further than that, as each of them scrolled down to see all of the sections. At the top right of the menu there was a button that said: "Begin preliminary exam" They each pressed it and then heard a whirring noise from the device. The lights that graced their fingers and wrists were now flowing back and forth, and emitting a blue tint. This color meant that a scan or analysis was taking place.

As the analysis happened, they noticed that boxes on the control panel's chart were beginning to change, the numbers going from their default position of zero to accurate data. The first exam didn't look at everything, but it did analyze the same things that a check-up at the doctors would. This was meant to act as a foundational examination that the device could use to build on for future assistance with any ailments or issues. The colors changed and blinked green twice, signaling the end of the analysis.

"This is...amazing. Okay, let's try out the Bond feature, and see if it works."

"Yes, I can't wait to see it!" Kodi exclaimed. It seemed like everything she said was in excitement now.

In order to activate the Bond, Kodi programmed the device to respond to a physical touch, the meeting of the fingertips of each device, pressed against each other for 10 seconds. This way, you wouldn't be able to start a bond with just anyone you saw with a device. It had to be consensual, and you had to be sure. Both of them grabbed the word Bond on the control panel and expanded it, until only the word Bond and a percentage bar under it were there.

Also, their fingertips were now emitting a glow with a fingerprint symbol around each of them, meaning that the Links were ready for Bond. Kodi and Ethan looked at each other for a moment, both nodding approval. They lifted their hands up, spread their fingers apart, and then brought them close to each other, aligning each fingertip. When they finally all touched, they held it there for the 10 seconds, and Kodi felt butterflies. She couldn't believe it, after how intimate their bodies had been, something as trivial as a simple touch still made her nervous sometimes.

The colors went blue, then green once it was done, and they kept their hands together for a moment longer.

"Oh, sorry, we should...let go." Kodi said, giggling nervously.

"Right, right. Okay, it looks like the Bond was complete, and bar under it isn't empty anymore. But it's only at 5%."

"5 percent? We should've been wearing these while we-"

"That definitely wouldn't have worked. And I don't even know if that would help the bonding process."

"You don't know that. But, that's the whole point of the experiment. To see what happens with this feature, it could really help people."

"I think it will. Well, I think that's about everything. You've been amazing working on this Kodi. I know your parents would be proud. You're a genius."

"You think so?"

"Of course."

"Well, you've been alright too." She said while smirking.

"Sure, just alright." Ethan said as he sat down in a chair. Kodi noticed his disposition changed suddenly. Something was on his mind, she knew this look from before.

"Ethan, what's wrong?"

"What? Oh, nothing's wrong. I'm just about to start cleaning things up. You're messy as usual around here and-

"Come on. I can tell when something's wrong. You've had enough silent stints around me, I can see it. It's alright, you can talk to me."

"Well, I have this big work thing tomorrow, a big...presentation that's gonna potentially lead to some major changes. I've just been thinking about it."

"And you can't tell me what it is."

"I can tell you that I need to make a speech, and a good one. I'm just not sure if it's good enough yet."

"Well we could have postponed finishing the Links up. I mean this presentation sounds pretty important."

"But this is also important to me, and I wouldn't just leave you high and dry like that." Ethan said with a somber glare into Kodi's eyes. It was hard for her to help without knowing exactly what it was. But she wanted to try anyway. She didn't like seeing him like this, like so many times before.

"Hmm, well I think the main thing you could work on is loosening up."

"Loosening up?"

"Yea, like you are a very calculated person. You're focused and think through everything. And that's great and all, trust me. I had to do it on Earth to survive. I get it. But for something like a presentation, I think sometimes being too calculated can be a bad thing. It might be better to just say how you feel."

"I'm not sure how that'll help me now..." She looked at him, looking generally confused, and wondered how he maintained this stoic aura all the time.

"Exactly, that's the problem. You think that the way to get through this is to write some pre-determined speech that'll cover all the bases and solve everything. But it's also important to just feel things out, see what people are thinking and feeling, and then react."

"I don't know about that, I mean what if something catches me off guard? I want to be ready."

"I don't think there's anything wrong with preparing, but you are ready. You are always ready. You just have to trust yourself. The same way you told me to trust myself during the beginning stages of building the Links. You already have the knowledge, have the experience doing it. So just do it."

She could tell that the simple way she was explaining it was getting to him. He was making things too complex, and even though she didn't know what this presentation was about, she knew that might help him. At least she hoped it did.

"Okay, I think I see what you're saying now. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Kodi." He replied, looking more content than before.

"Yea, of course. And, after we clean this up, you can go ahead and take the pod tonight. You'll probably need it more than me."

"Now you're giving me orders? Okay, sure, I'll take it, but only because I want to." He said while grinning.

After taking some time to clean up, Kodi remembered something important before they slept.

"Wait! There's one more thing we have to test really quick." She said with haste as she opened the control panel on her Link.

"Oh, right. How did we forget? The cloaking. Okay, you ready?"

"Yes."

They both pressed something, and after a few seconds, the Links around their hands and wrists slowly started to fade away, disappearing. This was one of the most difficult parts of the project, and they hoped it worked.

"Do you think it'll hold?" Kodi asked.

"It looks like it. It still amazes me, every time I see it. Or don't see it, or whatever."

"I'm glad it works! Sometimes I can't believe it either."

"Yea, well I'm going to get some rest. Everything should be ready for you with the bed, I'll leave the force field off so you can walk out tomorrow if you want."

"Okay, sounds good." She replied. They both paused, looking at each other. Steadily, they leaned in close and kissed each other deeply and passionately.

"Well...umm- look at you, trying to get your Bond meter higher already." Kodi said, still reeling from the intense kiss.

"It's not a contest, we'll both raise it up, together."

"Good night."

"You too, Kodi."

***

"Hello, everyone, and welcome to the Society's 3rd annual presidential debate!"

It was the night of the debate, and almost everyone was on the edge of their seats. Over the past seven days, the Society was in a frenzy. After news of the upcoming debate was announced, it spread like wildfire, garnering immense amounts of attention, as father and son would be engaging in a mental sparring match. It was drama and change that the Society seldom had, and thus had everyone talking. In their respective corners, both Ethan and Marshall were doing what they could to prepare for the event, albeit in very different ways.

Ethan had the trouble of balancing preparation for the debate with his work with Kodi, so he had to make sure his schedule was extra succinct. Of course, no one would know about his working on a new invention, so there would be no excuse if things went wrong on debate night. His proposal for the abolition of the weighted scale of the voter system was denied, he focused on controlling what he could control: his talking points. He also tried to keep what Kodi told him in mind. He thought about saying how he felt, from the heart, but also balancing that with the mind games of politics.

Marshall, on the other hand, continued his own balance of his intimidation tactics, and winning over the hearts of the citizens with nostalgia and his old age. Being older granted him a bit of innocence and he was using it well. The key would be if people would buy this new version of him, or still be afraid of his cold, aggressive demeanor from the past. This was the main reason why he decided earlier in the week to cut down on the "persuasion sessions" he had with some of the voters. He and the General had already secured enough votes, he felt, and it was getting too risky to continue these violent games. If they tilted in the wrong direction, it could jeopardize what they worked for.

"Thank you everyone for coming here tonight, in this glorious room. Thank you to everyone in the commons division who worked hard to make sure this area looked regal." The crowd responded with clapping, a mixture of citizens, and employees from various divisions, including enforcement agents.

The man speaking was a reasonably tall white male, with medium length brown hair, a stubble, and brown eyes. He worked in the commons division, and typically handled many of the announcements and events, due to his ability to project his voice well. He donned the all-white uniform representative of the commons workers, but had a special red tie to jazz up his outfit a bit.

"I will be your moderator for tonight's event. My name is Lucius. I would now like to thank both Marshall and Ethan Conners for joining us this evening. They both have incredibly busy schedules, so we appreciate their time during this riveting and dynamic stage in the Society's history!" The crowd clapped as Ethan and Marshall glared quickly at each other. Lucius' perky tone seemed to directly oppose the dark and tense mood of the area. He was trying his best to cheer up the situation, but you could cut the tension with a knife. There was too much at stake.

"Now, as tradition goes, we would like both participants to come together in a ceremonial handshake, as a show of respect for each other. Gentlemen?"

Slowly but surely, Ethan and Marshall stepped from their respective podiums and walked towards each other. Both of them were wearing classic and neutral colored suits, save for Ethan's blue jacket. Marshall was wearing a typical black jacket with a red tie and white shirt, while Ethan had a black tie and blue jacket. They each wore black pants and black shoes. As they shook each other's hand, they leaned closer and embraced in a hug that elicited awws and applause from the crowd. This drowned out their whispers towards each other:

"You're finished, and once I find that girl, so is she." Marshall grumbled low.

"You won't find anything. You'll never get the chance to try." Ethan replied as they separated, smiled at the crowd, and returned to their podiums.

"That's the spirit, that respect is so important, and the love between father and son is as well. Now, folks, let me get to official business, and explain how the rules of engagement are going to work tonight. Unlike Marshall's press conference, which was a special occasion, the questions that our candidates will answer have been chosen already by a council of uniquely chosen people, including myself. Not to fret though, we ensured that these questions covered issues that Society citizens care about the most. The way it will work is that there will be three questions asked. Each candidate will be asked the same question, with a rebuttal then following after. The first response will alternate each time, and at randomization, Marshall will start us off."

Ethan and Marshall gave each other one last glare of determination, before the moderator began asking them questions.

***

"Alright, and now we have our final question! Marshall, we will start with you, since Ethan started us off for question number 2."

"Seniority of course." Ethan joked, making everyone laugh.

The debate was reaching towards its conclusion, and the two candidates had not disappointed. The audience was laser focused, zeroed into their responses and some even taking notes. Although it didn't seem as serious because of the nature of the Society, the citizens took elections very seriously and since they didn't happen often, its importance only grew. The first two questions were mostly policy based, with one being about the future of the Society's security protocols, and the other being about more citizen involvement.

Marshall impressed audiences with his commitment to security and his new "watchful eye" program, which would ensure that not only would there be a doubling in enforcement agents, but there would be more cameras to watch over every sector of the space station. Ethan on the other hand, captivated the audience with his promise to bring new technologies to the Society, as well as training courses to involve citizens in its production and teach them about usage and functionality.

"So, the final question, gentlemen, is a question uniquely suited for a unique situation. Do you believe that the fact that you are running against each other as father and son can potentially damage your relationship? And does that bother you?"

The room was so quiet you could hear a pen drop. The audience was as still as a statue, looking at both candidates with bewilderment. This was the drama that undercut the chess game of politics, the strategy of it all. Marshall gave a quick glance to Ethan, furrowed his brow, and then smiled at the audience. Ethan took a deep breath, his chest visibly in movement as he exhaled. His facial expression remaining the same, appearing unfazed.

"Well this is it, right? While the presidency is important, this is what lies underneath, the foundation, the roots. Family. And I don't believe there's anyone who cares more about his family than me. There's an instinctual need to protect the ones I care about, to love them and make sure they are safe. Much like I do for all the citizens of the Society. But when it comes to Ethan, that need is even more special. He is, of course, my son, and I always want what is best for him. Since I first awakened from my prolonged slumber, I have seen him in action as the President, and it is clear that the job has taken a toll on him, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I remember how daunting the task is. And so, my reasoning for running against him is an effort to hopefully convince him to step down from his stressful position, to allow his father to take on the mantle of President once again. You've done a good job son, but I can take over from here."

The audience erupted in applause, with some even cheering him on. How these people were actually convinced that Marshall was sincere, Ethan didn't know. But what he did know was that his father's angle was clearly a sympathy vote, utilizing a fabricated version of their relationship to appeal to voters' hearts. More so, making them feel sorry for Ethan, pitying him would double the impact of the emotional appeal. Marshall's political savvy hadn't been lost in the cryogenic chamber, that's for sure. But Ethan just took a deep breath, cleared his head, and responded how he knew he had to.

"Well Marshall, I appreciate that. I really do. I think that, in a time we live in, and have lived in, where so many families were stripped apart forcibly by tumultuous events, it is important to hold onto the family we do have left. I'm lucky to have my father back in my life, despite the troubles he and I have dealt with in the past. I'm not going to lie to you all, Marshall hasn't been the best father over the years. We've butted heads, had disagreements. Hell, us debating each other on this stage should tell you that. I remember a time back down on Earth, when I was a kid, and there was this special convention for the city's best engineers, and I thought I could apply for it. I asked my father for his approval, as well his opinion. And he only said 'No, you're not ready.' I was crushed as a kid who thought that I could take the next step. Now, Marshall, citizens of the Society, I stand before you a man, tested by obstacles and ready to lead you all. I promise, Marshall, you don't have to worry, I am ready to take on the challenge this time."

The crowd bellowed in applause and 'awws' with some standing in ovation. They loved Ethan's response, and all he had to do was follow himself, instead of overthinking his answer, just like Kodi said.

"Thank you, thank you, you may all now be seated! That was a lovely expression of love and compassion from a father and son, something that we don't get to see as often anymore in our times. I would now like to thank the candidates for a great debate, and wish you both luck in the election. A final round of applause for Ethan and Marshall everyone!"

The crowd applauded one more time, before heading out the room and back to their sleeping quarters. As Ethan gazed at the audience exiting, his feelings of happiness turned over to concern. He looked at their faces, and instead of seeing smiles and laughter, he saw confusion, frustration. Some even looked sad, like a melancholic wave had washed over the area without him knowing. And Ethan only knew of one person that start a wave that spreads that quickly and powerfully. Marshall had done something, something that negated his excellent performance in the debate. Something that Ethan didn't have control of.

***

Who could be doing it? When is it going to happen??

Fran was in a state of panic, but tried not to show it. It was hard not to be worried though, because she knew Marshall. She knew that if he said that Alyssa needed to be killed, twice, then he meant it. It wasn't a joke, wasn't a game, wasn't just talk. He sounded fed up with her. And then when Fran talked with Alyssa and tried to change her mind, she was unsuccessful, and in fact might have pushed her even further away.

Now, she was going back to talk to Alyssa again, but the objective was different. Instead of trying to bring her back to their side, she was merely trying to save her from the inevitable. Maybe she could buy her some time, and convince Marshall. Something.

"Fran? What's wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost." Alyssa said as she saw Fran in front of the door to her sleeping quarters.

"Close the door, quickly dear." Fran replied, looking around to make sure no one saw her. As much as this was a mission to save Alyssa, she also needed to worry about her own safety. This could be considered treason based on how the election went tomorrow.

"What in the hell is going on?"

"Alyssa, you are not safe anymore. You need to be extremely careful."

"Not safe anymore? What are you talking about? I'm fine, this is the safest space in the universe."