The Southern Literary Messenger, Vol. II., No. 8, July, 1836

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

From the Norfolk Herald.

The _Southern Literary Messenger_ for May very gallantly holds it own. The ‘manuscripts of Franklin’ are well worth publishing. The chapter of Lionel Granby introduces us into the bodily presence of Lamb and Coleridge, and the ragged regiment of folios and quartos pass in review before us. The Lecture on German Literature, by Mr. Calvert of Baltimore, is a very entertaining discourse on the history of the poetry and philosophy of that wonderful people; but it is clear that the author of the lecture has paid more attention to the German than to the English and those languages from which the English flows. The paper of Oliver Oldschool is worthy of its author, and we were happy to see the story of ‘Tang Lang’ appended as a foot-note. The critical notices are very good for the most part; but then we could hardly expect Mr. Poe to be sour ere the honey moon be past. What has become of the remaining numbers of the series of articles on the distinctive differences of the sexes from the pen of one of the strongest writers of the Commonwealth? We sincerely hope, that, after such a fair beginning, the theme has not proved too mighty—if it has, the author may henceforth ponder well on the advice of Horace. Still we are on the look out for the essays.

Share this Story