The Sparrows of Thailand

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then I saw an older woman, not long for the profession, and I gave them to her. She hugged me gratefully and the other women seemed to like that. This wasn't exactly my intention and, as I was going home, I continued.

It's easy for people to think I misunderstood the situation, but I didn't. To put it simplistically, people are people and given a little prosperity, they care about things like each other, art, and flowers. Cultural bridges can be crossed more easily than most think... mostly because they've never really tried.

To address the issue on the minds of most Western readers, I'll point out the fact that women who want to marry Westerners usually become bar-girls and this is by far the most common path to that goal(being a bar-girl doesn't carry the perceived social disgrace of being an American hooker.) Thai modesty doesn't allow for the sort of drinking and dating most Western men want before marriage. This is not to justify the exploitation that sometimes occurs in other areas of Thailand, or to suggest that any of it's an ideal situation.

My sojourn in Thailand ended when, sometimes having the habit of eating the same meal again and again, took in too much arsenic through tuna on Ko Tao Island, an excellent scuba-diving island notable for its black monitor lizards and amazing diversity of tourists.

My mobility being impaired, I took the time with people from Germany, Lithuania, Israel (nice fellow, said their economy was depressed,) France, and Japan... just to name a few, all on the north side of the island at the Venus Resort (basic bungalows right on the beach.)

Arsenic poisoning is not common in Thailand: it occurs through irresponsible gold-mining practices. It happened through a good deal of chance and could have happened about anywhere... heavy metals in seafood is a global problem, but tuna, along with shellfish, is among the most dangerous for such.

Here are a few tips for the visitor to Thailand:

1.) Don't criticize Buddhism and especially not the royal family: in other words, don't comment on them except in positive pleasantries or I guess enthusiastic praise. This is a matter of occasionally enforced law, not just courtesy.

The monarchy is solid and revered in Thailand: barring incredible events, it isn't going anywhere. Think of it as part of the national religion, something you agree to live with as part of visiting Thailand. The present king has shown admirable traits, and has shown compassion for the poor, who revere his dynasty.

2.) Don't bring up the movie or book "Anna and the King." That's an ice-maker, not ice-breaker.

3.) Be aware of the Thai feelings about feet and shoes. Kicking your feet up on a chair, for example, is a problem not just because of the chair. Personally, I wished Thais would extend different rules to foreigners. If you slip, however, you're far more likely to get a courteous explanation than a furious host.

4.) In my experience, Thais respond very positively to courtesy and interest in their culture. It should be noted that there is an elitist and a "common" Thai culture, extending even to word pronunciations. Both are interesting in my opinion, and the latter can be quite sophisticated.

5.) Don't be too quick to judge Thai ways: things like social hierarchy, censorship, and the adulation of the monarchy. Let's just say it's all complicated, and in some ways Thailand is a more civilized and sane place than the U.S.A.

The Thai government has strongly taught its people that hospitality to and protection of foreigners is an important duty. Should you forget these tips or otherwise run into trouble, you'll find that to be a great protection.

12