The Spirit House Ch. 01

Story Info
A House with a past gets a new Resident.
12.3k words
4.69
2.4k
9
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/18/2023
Created 10/10/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
32aa
32aa
448 Followers

This story could have gone in either 'Romance' or 'Non-Human'. However; since it is mostly Romance, that's where it's posted.

It's a slow build, and just so you know, there's no sex in this chapter. However, chapter 2 picks up exactly where this chapter ends.

As always... everybody is over the magic age of 18 and all sex is happily consensual. Like I said, It takes a while so please be patient.

Being single and living in an apartment in Northern Illinois has its advantages: no maintenance, no lawn to mow, or snow to shovel. If you get tired of where you live it's relatively easy just to give notice, pack up your earthly possessions, and find another abode. On the other hand, at the end of the year, you sit back and realize that you've been paying rent all year with nothing really to show for it. No tax write-offs. No equity... nothing. Filing your taxes as a single person is painful.

I'd like to say that I knew some of the others that lived here. But, it seems like everyone just does their own thing. To and from their places of employment and back into their rented shoeboxes for the evenings and weekends. Even meeting someone at the wall of mailboxes it's just a casual smile and most of the time not even that. Most appeared to be single men and women with ages from around my tender age of 23 to middle age.

The apartment building was just that. A rectangular box with a lot of little boxes all connected by stairs and a hallway down the middle... How imaginative? Why couldn't they have at least made a 'commons' area for some socializing? Maybe even things as simple as a couple of ping-pong tables or even a pool table and TV? Oh well. From what I saw when I was apartment shopping those features never existed, at least not around here.

Hi, I'm Kevin, living in a small Midwestern dairy town in the early 70s. It was spring and having just graduated from a state university as a Mechanical Engineer, I was fortunate to land a position with a local dairy in their plant engineering group. It was the same dairy that I worked at for my summer jobs for three years. Doing mindless tasks like picking cartons of cottage cheese, dips, and yogurts off a moving conveyor, placing them in a wire case and sending it down a chute to the cooler. Funny thing was that there was a guy doing the same thing on the other side of the conveyor belt who was about my dad's age. It was all he wanted to do... eight hours a day, seven days a week. My incentive to study hard.

I remember my last day there before heading off for my senior year. The plant manager came up to me and told me to come see him when I graduated, adding, "We're always looking for hard-working, bright, and imaginative members for our plant engineering staff. Especially if they already have some experience in the operation of a dairy."

I inwardly smiled at that offer knowing that I wouldn't be doing the same mundane and mindless tasks that I had been doing for the past three summers. Instead, I might even be able to apply some that valued higher education.

Having a job offer coming right out of school meant that I would be spared the tedious task of writing a resume and then trying to find a job... somewhere. It also meant that I could be on my own sooner with an apartment free to come and go as I wanted.

On the other hand, a career in a much larger and urban location may be kind of appealing; different than my life growing up in a small town. My college experience, away from the boredom of small towns, was refreshing, eye-opening, and fun. And then there is that other plus... the much larger selection and availability of female companionship and opportunities. Still, small towns do have the advantage of familiarity and the closeness of 'community', be that good or bad.

The first week I spent in the corporate headquarters in a suburb of Chicago to learn the ins and outs of 3-A Sanitary Standards. The whole 'Milk Making' process: pasteurization, homogenization, and then, separation to remove some or all of the cream for reduced-fat, low-fat, or skim milk. The separation process includes a number of technologies that I had never heard of: membrane filtration, and spray drying for powdered milk products. These things that I was sure were in the dairy when I worked my summer jobs, just never paid attention.

My 'in plant' training was going to start off with some 'hands-on' exposure starting with hanging out with the maintenance guys while they serviced the various pieces of equipment. While I had previous experience cleaning and sanitizing the machinery, I never really paid attention to the various parts and or the machinery in production. This time each of the guys explained what was there, how it operated, and the pitfalls of each piece. It was something that could never be taught in a classroom.

That would go on for about three weeks until I had 'touched' each piece of equipment. It was invaluable. In the end, I thanked them with all the enthusiasm that they deserved and was told to come and see them anytime, if I wanted 'real world' advice or an honest opinion on anything.

The engineering team consisted of two senior engineers, two other engineers, and myself. Both of the other engineers were single, had college degrees, and were a couple of years older than I was. Brad's major was Chemical Engineering and Dale majored in Environmental Engineering. I guess that management felt that a Mechanical Engineer would round out the team.

We really hit it off as our personalities blended nicely. Brad and Dale had been with the dairy for a couple of years and were hired directly out of college. Corporate had instructed the dairies to look at getting 'new blood' and to beef up their staffs with individuals with college degrees.

I was assigned to a senior engineer, Bob, as my mentor. Given my time at the corporate training on the whole 'milk making' process, with the maintenance guys, and my previous summers around the dairy, he didn't think that it was necessary to spend time going over those details. Instead, we went directly into whatever project he was working on and the background on the engineering details.

There were always projects going on, both for improving efficiency and expansion. It got especially involved when the dairy decided to expand its processing capabilities, either for increased production, a new product line, or a new technology.

As you can imagine, working in a dairy is not a woman-rich environment. All of the dairy workers were men varying in age from early twenties to those nearing retirement. The office staff consisted of a number of middle-aged married women.

The only bright spot was in the Quality Control department, which consisted of a small lab where they would constantly grab product samples, and grow the bacteria cultures that transformed the cream into sour cream, yogurt, and cottage cheese. They also performed the required testing to ensure that the various products met the dairy's quality and the FDA's standards. Monitoring the company's waste treatment plant by constantly testing and recording the effluent to make sure it met EPA standards before it was discharged into the nearby creek was a major responsibility as the creek water was regularly tested by the State.

The lab consisted of a lead Quality Control Engineer and three technicians. Two out of the three techs were women... one was the mother of two teens and one was about my age and nicely single, from what I had heard. I later learned that her name was Paula and she was the daughter of Howard, one of the guys who worked in accounting and had been with the dairy all his life.

She was cute with chestnut hair that was always tucked into the sanitary paper hat and hairnet that we were all required to wear when in the dairy. Paula was petite, from what I could gather through the white lab coat that came to her waist. Her soft light brown eyes which were partially obscured through her safety glasses looked like two brown Tiger-eye gemstones. Beyond that, there were no hints of any substantial curves.

Every time our paths would cross, like when she was out in the dairy to gather her lab samples, we each traded smiles. A couple of times I even managed to get out a, "Hi Paula." That brought an even brighter smile.

I was not an outgoing type of guy. Yeah, I had my share of high school girlfriends and college hookups but, it always took a push from one of my buddies to get me to make the first move. Given that she was so cute, quiet, and a bit shy herself, my mind told me that there had to be a boyfriend in her life.

My social life still sucked the bit one. Bars were not my thing and like I said earlier the apartment I lived at was just that... a place to live. So, unless some random run-in at the grocery store with some damsel in distress, crossed my path I was SOL and doomed to be single.

There were however a number of nights after leaving the dairy Brad, Dale, and I would hit our favorite local watering hole. They were roommates and shared a townhouse the next town over. Their future plan was to save enough to buy a house, fix it up, sell it, and then do it all over again. They figured that with the two of them doing the fixing-up they could turn a house around relatively quickly and with their combined budgets, enough cash for whatever needed to be done shouldn't be a problem. After each sale, they would have more cash for a down payment, and repairs, and be able to get a bigger house that, in the end, would bring in even more profit.

Most of the time we 'talked shop' until one night, after a few beers, the subject turned to our dismal social lives. Neither of them had a girlfriend and were pretty much in the same boat as I was... how and where do you meet women?

Then Brad looked over and asked, "Kevin, why don't you ask Paula out?"

I think I looked back with a bit of a surprised look, "You mean Paula at work?"

"Yeah. We both tried a while back, went out once and that was that. It seemed like there just wasn't a spark there and we each knew it so, it was no big deal. We're all still friends and everything. But Dale and I each see how you guys look at each other when you're out in the plant. I think that she'd be open to you asking her out. We're pretty sure that she doesn't have a boyfriend or anything. She shares an apartment with another girl the next town over. It's a friend that she went to high school and college with. She's really a nice gal, pretty smart, and once she gets out of that lab coat, a cute little figure. I just think you should give it a shot."

"She just seems so quiet and shy."

"Well, you're not exactly what we would call an outgoing bundle of energy," Dale grinned as he took a swig of his beer.

"I guess you got me on that one," I grinned back.

"Do it. Go for it. What have you got to lose?" Brad chimed in.

"And if it goes, then you owe each of us dinner... and not here... I mean a real dinner," Dale beamed back at me.

I thought, 'Why not?' What have I got to lose?'.

"OK. Deal. If it works out to more than just three dates I owe each of you a real dinner. And I might even bring Paula, especially when I explain the reason for the dinner."

That got a couple of 'high fives' and another round of beers.

The company picnic was coming up in a couple of weeks. I had heard that it was a pretty well-attended event and was held at a regional park. I had never attended. My previous summers were spent back at the dairy filling in for some of those that went to the picnic.

It was pot-luck but the company furnished burgers, brats, beer, and of course milk and ice cream for the kids. Along with the food, there were games of bingo, relay races for the kids, and many door prizes. Usually, along the way, a softball game was organized. Most of the time it was office against the rest of the plant. It seemed perfect for a casual 'first date'.

I was beginning to know Paula's daily routine as to when and where she would be out in the plant gathering her samples and started to 'accidentally' bump into her. I think that she was catching on to what I was doing, as it seemed like if I wasn't right there she would linger and just look busy.

So, I went for it... like they say, 'No guts... No glory'.

"Hey, Paula."

I was met with a warm smile.

"Hey there Kevin."

Hesitating a bit, I wasn't very good at this.

"Paula, are you planning on going to the picnic?"

I could tell that she was anticipating what my next question would be as the smile remained.

"Yeah. I mean I've gone since I was a kid because my dad has worked here all that time. Why do you ask?"

"Ummmm.... Would....Would you like to go with me?"

With a genuine smile. That melted my heart, "I'd love to."

"I don't mean just meet me here. I mean come to your house, pick you up, and drive us both there."

"I was hoping that's what you meant."

So that's what found me staring at Paula as she opened the door to her apartment. She was gorgeous. I mean, I had seen her in the plant doing her thing... but here. Like I said earlier... petite and now sexy. Her chestnut hair had been pulled back into a casual ponytail. But what really took my breath away was the pastel yellow sundress that was decorated with little light blue and green butterflies. It was the first time that I had a chance to really see her figure and those tone legs and calves, instead of being hidden behind a lab coat and a pair of white coveralls that were furnished by the dairy.

The front of the dress had a nice 'V' that passed between her half-apple-sized breasts. It was held in place with two long straps tied behind her neck, leaving her smooth back exposed down to the belt line and her shoulders bare. A light green belt hugged her trim waist. The bottom hem of the dress came down to mid-thigh. The white sandals and light yellow nail polish set off the whole outfit.

I had seen Paula around the dairy on a daily basis with a bit of makeup. Not much, but then she didn't need much, and besides... it was a factory workplace. Standing in front of me I couldn't tear my eyes off hers. The dark mascara that outlined her eyes enhanced the soft brown gemstones. Each eyebrow was thin and a delicate chestnut brown. Paula's eyelashes were dark and separated. Then there were those lips. Soft and pink with a bit of gloss.

I was brought out of my trance with, "Kevin, are you OK?"

"Sorry. Paula... I've never seen you look like this, so beautiful. So... can I say it?... sexy."

She looked down with a blush and an embarrassed smile followed by a soft, "Thank you, and you can tell me that I'm sexy any time that you want".

I inwardly smiled... we were going to hit off great.

The picnic was fun. She hadn't told her parents that I would be the one taking her to the picnic. I could tell that they were pleasantly surprised... especially her dad.

We were always together. I even played a couple of games of Bingo with her where she won a ten-dollar prize. The food was delicious and varied, as only potlucks are. Being a warm and sunny day, the beer went down smoothly. I knew that we were drawing pleasant and approving looks from the rest of the workers, especially Brad and Dale.

When the softball game was beginning to get organized, and from the way she was dressed, I knew that Paula wouldn't be playing any softball. So we went for a walk. It was time to get to know each other better. I liked where this was going and had a hopeful feeling that I would be owing Brad and Dale each a real dinner.

Paula grew up in the next town over, about 15 miles away. Our high schools were football rivals. We poked fun at each other's school sports teams and mascots. She lived in an apartment with one of her old high school girlfriends at the edge of town. She and her roommate, Renee, had gone to college together and had looked out for each other in the whole college dating scene. Renee worked at a dentist's office as a dental hygienist the next town over.

Paula was a year younger than I was and had graduated from Northern Illinois University majoring in Biological Chemistry. She took summer classes every year, which allowed her to finish in three and a half years instead of four, or more. Her Biological Chemistry major made her more than qualified to work in the dairy's testing lab. She confided in me that she felt like this was just a stepping stone to what she really wanted to do, but didn't know where that would take her. What really had her interest in school was microbiology and genetics. Paula felt that the lab work here would give some nice 'hands-on' experience. Then added, with a sly grin, that you never know where the paths of life will take you.

As we walked I filled her in on my school experiences. A couple of times Paula grinned at me as I recounted a few instances, like the time a bunch of us guys got busted for having alcohol in the dorm room. Or my dorm mates sneaking a girl up to their room for a couple of hours of fun and hanging a sock on the outside of the door as a signal that there were 'activities' happening inside.

Then with a smile, she said, "I had always heard that Southern was a party school."

"A lot of people have told me that when I decided to go there. I don't know where that came from, but I'm pretty sure that it's no different from all of the other state colleges. All I can say is that I had fun... Oh yeah, and I got an education."

"You're probably right on that. And I had fun too," and she let it go at that.

I wondered what she meant. My first impression was that she was a rather quiet and reserved girl. Maybe looks can be deceiving.

Paula was fascinated at how I wound up at the dairy through my summer jobs. I told her that my dad had worked there at the time and got me in for the summers.

"So, it sounds like you had a job offer from Harold on your last day last summer. That is way too cool."

"Yeah, pretty much. And I was fine with that. I mean a first job that I really didn't have any idea of where or how to find one."

"I have to admit that my dad kind of greased the skid for me here when he heard that there was going to be an opening in the lab. I'm kind of glad it worked out that way. I don't know where, or how, I would find a place to work. Certainly not around here but probably in by the City. I like it here, still close to my family but like I said earlier, I have no idea of what I'm going to do after a few years here. I'm definitely not going to work here until they give me a gold watch for my years."

"Me neither. I guess we both just have to see. Who knows?"

"Yeah, you're right, who knows? Sometimes unexpected things happen in your life that change the direction that you thought you would go."

Paula had turned to me with a gentle smile as she finished that last sentence. Yeah... Who knows?

We walked in silence for a bit, just enjoying our developing friendship. I was tempted to reach out and hold her hand but thought that might be a bit much for our first time out together. Hopefully, there will be more opportunities.

The afternoon went by quickly. Paula was fortunate to win a door prize... an Igloo Cooler. Soon we were standing at her door with my hands on her waist and her arms draped over my shoulders.

"Kevin, thank you for asking me to go to the picnic with you. I was kind of hoping that somehow we could start to see each other. I just didn't know how to get started, or even if you were interested in me. But, you always smiled at me whenever our paths crossed in the plant. The picnic idea was a nice start."

"I enjoyed it too. I'm not a real social butterfly. I wasn't sure if you would be interested in going out with me. I guess I assumed that you already had a boyfriend or something."

Then with a soft and somewhat sullen tone, "No... no boyfriend."

32aa
32aa
448 Followers