The Spirit of the Cat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alanna goggled at the amount of food, but accepted the plate meekly. Instead of heading towards the dining table, she found a place to sit at the small bar where she could watch Old Woman work. "Seriously, though. If there has only been one other female Guardian in all of history, how is it you knew exactly what I needed to do to placate my cat?"

Old Woman's dark eyes took on a distant, far-away cast. It was as if she peered into an invisible crystal ball and was able to see another time and place than the one in which she now stood. "Ahh, child. Have you not yet guessed? Did not Old Man tell you? The Tjurunga is not constrained by time. Or by space for that matter." She sighed deeply, her proud shoulders stooped as though she carried the weight of the world on her shoulders. "I am that other Guardian."

Alanna gasped, "But that makes you more than..."

Old Woman chuckled. "Older than I care to admit, yes child." She leaned over and rapped Alanna's knuckles. "But just because this woman is old, do not think for one moment she has lost her faculties."

Old Woman stared down into her tea, watching as the blackened leaves swirled gently in the cup. "I have seen what the Gods intend for you, child." She shook her head. This morning she wore her hair in a plait down her back and the movement caused the thick braid to sway. "Your path will not be an easy one."

Alanna's breakfast took on the flavor of sawdust. She set her fork down carefully on the edge of her plate. "I know there's more to this than my acclimatizing to the cat and accepting Thomas as my mate. And I still find a little weird by the way."

"Yes, child." Old Woman sighed. "I know. Even though the world was different and women were expected to accept a mate not of their own choosing, it was still much the same for me. When the Gods dropped Old Man into my lap, I was still very young. I had worked long with the wise man of my tribe and had hopes of being chosen as his apprentice." She shook her head. "The Gods had other plans, though."

Old Woman turned her gaze to the kitchen window, pausing a long moment to watch a stray crow swoop and dive before continuing. "The Gods tell us that every man of this earth is brought into being with two souls. When man is born, his second soul is sent into the Dreamtime. When the woman who will be his mate becomes, the Gods give the second soul to her." She turned her eyes to Alanna. "You, child, are fortunate that you have found your mate. Some people wander this earth the full span of their lives without ever finding their second soul."

"The old man... Do you two have names, by the way? I feel a little silly referring to you as 'the old woman' and him as 'the old man.'" Alanna shifted uncomfortably on her stool, hoping the old woman had not been offended by her question.

Names were unimportant in the grand scheme of things and Old Woman had given hers up long ago. "Old Man and Old Woman will do, child." She shrugged.

Alanna sighed. "Whatever floats your boat. Well, Old Man said that my mating had been foretold in a prophecy. Can you tell me about it? The prophecy? Why was it important for me to find my other soul? To find Thomas? I mean, besides the fact that being near him, being with him obviously helps with controlling the cat."

"Eh, the prophecy." Old Woman set her cup on the counter in front of her. "Prophecies are a bit like the leaves here. Swirl the cup one direction and the leaves say one thing. Swirl it the other and they say something else." Old Woman stuck a finger in the cup, obviously lost in her own train of thought. "The leaves, like the Gods, are quiet today."

Huh? Were none of her would-be mentors capable of a straight answer?!? Frustration etched Alanna's brow and her eyes sparked green fire. "But, Old Woman, what did the prophecy say?!?"

Old Woman drew breath as if to answer, but something or someone beyond Alanna's shoulder distracted her. She raised her head and smiled, "Ahhh. Good morning Thomas. You are looking quite rested."

Oh, Gods. Not now! Alanna's head snapped. It was ridiculous to be nervous of Thomas after what they had shared the night before, but she could not seem to help herself. She gulped, "Thomas."

Thomas ignored the old woman. He had eyes only for Alanna. He marveled at the blessing the Gods had bestowed upon him. He had wandered the world alone for so long. He never truly thought he would find his true mate.

Thomas placed his hands lightly on Alanna's shoulders, leaning in to kiss her cheek. Ahh, so smooth, so soft, so different than his own. "Good morning, my dearest Alanna." He nuzzled her neck, nipping gently at her skin. His cat caught her scent, recognizing its mate. The beast purred its pleasure, happy to be close to her once more.

Alanna's body went pliant and her face filled with heat. She sniffed, scenting the air. Her eyes widened with pleasure as Thomas' natural musky smell invaded her senses. How odd. He must excrete some sort of cat-based, uber-pheromones or something. It had to be a chemical response, there was no other reasonable explanation for her immediate needing. With just a touch, this man—a man she knew so very little about—made her body ache with need. She pushed back against him, wanting, needing. "Thomas, please..." she whispered.

Thomas' beryl-colored eyes glowed softly. His hands kneaded her shoulders, much as a cat would nudge another cat with its paws. "I know, my heart. I know." It would be impossible to achieve anything of any consequence this morning if he remained too near his mate. He let go, stepping back and taking a deep breath to clear the foggy cloud of need from his head. "I, too, wish we could lie abed this morning and explore each other at our leisure, Alanna. But we have much to do today." He stretched out a calloused hand, cradling her cheek for just a moment. "Too much, I am afraid, dear one, to allow the needing to sweep us away just now."

Alanna closed her eyes, hoping to regain her equilibrium. Damn! What was it with this 'needing'? She never reacted to men like this, never wanted to keep them around the next day and simply hold them. She was more of a 'love 'em and toss 'em out before breakfast' kind of girl. Alanna's hands shook as she reached for her tea. The mug clinked softly against the saucer.

Old Woman reached a wrinkled hand across the counter to take Alanna's mug, saving it from possible damage. "The needing will grow easier with time, child. Thomas is right. You have much to do today."

Much to do? Obviously someone had forgotten to give her a copy of today's agenda. Ugh! Alanna closed her eyes and swallowed. "Like what?" she managed.

Old Man strode through the door, confidence emanating from every pore of his wizened body. "Today, young one, you will learn to call your cat."

"Call my cat?" Alanna exclaimed from her perch on the bar stool. "But, Old Man, you said shifting so soon would damage me! I don't want to be furry forever!"

Old man shook his grizzled head, his eyes twinkled with mirth. The young one was such a worrier! "Yesterday the change could have done you damage, Guardian. Today, child, it will not. Hopefully."

Hopefully? "Well. That's great. Really, that's just great." Alanna murmured. She had just managed to put the damn thing in its crate for a while and now they were going to make her call it out. On purpose. "Shit."

Thomas pulled his mate her from her seat, murmuring soft words of comfort.

"Have faith, Alanna. Old Man and Old Woman have mentored all of the Guardians throughout time. You must believe in yourself and trust that the Tjurunga will protect you now."

Trust the beast not to consume her? Oh, Gods!

Old Man turned and stalked towards the door. "Come, young one. We have no time to waste."

****

This was awful! Alanna was nervous and jittery. She tried focusing, but this annoying little voice in her head kept reminding her about the 'damage' she could do if she accidentally let the cat take over. "You know, we could do this tomorrow."

Oh, for Gods' sake! Surely the girl could do better than this? "You are not trying, Guardian." Old Man admonished.

Alanna tossed the Old Man a sour look. Who died and mad him judge and jury? "I am trying!" Alanna groused.

Old Woman knew they pushed the Guardian too hard, but they had no choice. The vernal equinox drew ever nearer. "Well try harder, child." Old Woman admonished. "You must be able to call the cat. If you make the change consciously, you retain control. You know what happens when the cat emerges without invitation—the cat dominates and you lose your sense of self, your sense of time, your memories." Old Woman clicked her tongue. "Tsk. Turning the great cat loose on its own in a city this size would be a very dangerous thing."

"Right. Big cat, big city. Bad idea." 'Oh Gods,' Alanna thought. 'I could eat some poor, innocent person.'

Thomas rolled his eyes. Had circumstances been different, he might have enjoyed teasing her about this. As things stood, Thomas felt teasing probably would not produce the results they needed. Still, he could not resist ribbing her just a little. "Nonsense, dearest one. Your cat is the protector of the People. It might eat a thief or murderer, if it were hungry enough, but it would never eat an innocent."

"Oh! Oh, that's awful!" She exclaimed. Confusion swiftly drew Alanna's brows together. "Wait, how did you…?" Her eyes widened with sudden awareness. She stomped her foot angrily. "Thomas, how could you?!? Can't I have any privacy? Won't you please stay out of my head?" She scratched behind her ear.

Her cat was there, very close to the surface. Thomas could sense it. He knew Alanna could do easily call it out on her own if she tried hard enough, but he could see she was growing weary of trying. It would do none of them any good if she simply gave up.

Thomas took her in his arms. "Shhh, mine own. I've no need to step into your head. You project your thoughts loudly enough anyone with half a mind can read them." He laid his head on her shoulder, his rough cheek touching her soft one. "Relax, sweeting. We'll do this together."

Thomas' touch brought warmth, comfort and security. Alanna felt as if everything was simply... better when he held her. She nodded her head jerkily. "Fine. Okay. Whatever."

Thomas turned Alanna to face him and took her hands in his. "Here, dearest. Sit with me. Now, close your eyes, Alanna. Match your breathing to mine."

Breathing. She could manage breathing. Alanna breathed in and out, deeply, slowly.

"Good, dear heart. Now picture the cat in your mind's eye. She's waiting for you, quietly, in her cave."

Alanna concentrated. Finally, a picture of the great cat, tawny gold, strong, sharp teeth and claws, appeared behind her eyes.

Thomas watched Alanna carefully, searching for the tell-tale signs of the change. Ah, there it was! He could see a faint shimmer in the air outlining her body. "That's it. Alanna." Thomas released her hands and moved away slightly, giving her the room she would need to shift. "Call to her, Alanna. Invite your cat to share your space, your body."

"Here kitty-kitty." Alanna called, "come out and play with the nice people."

Thomas rolled his eyes. His mate's first response to stress was always sarcasm. She needed to concentrate. He rapped her jean-covered knee lightly. "Focus, Alanna."

Alanna tried. She put everything she had into it. Suddenly, she felt a shifting in her mind. The itching increased. Pain filled her jaw. Heat crept through her from top to bottom. Then... nothing. Absolutely nothing!

'Damn it, Thomas! It didn't work.'

'Didn't it?' Thomas' words stole silently through her mind at the same time a low, rumbling purr sounded from in front of her.

Alanna opened here eyes. The colors were gone and everything seemed a lot bigger than it had moments ago. 'What?' She shook her head, swiping at her itching nose with a paw. 'Paw? Paw?!? Oh, my Gods! I have paws?!?' She stood, turning excitedly. 'And a tail! Thomas, I have a tail!'

Thomas' golden eyes followed her as she gamboled about the garden. Had things been different, he might have pursued her and used the chase to relieve some of the sexual frustration that had been building within him all day. 'Yes, my dear, and quite a lovely tail you have at that.'

Alanna stopped and stared at the large male cat. 'Huh? Oh, hell no.' Thomas was a gorgeous specimen of a cat—heavily muscled, sleek, tawny-gold and proud. But still... 'I don't do furry.'

Thomas snuffled, as much a laugh as his feline vocal chords would permit.

Old Man wrapped his arm tightly around Old Woman's shoulders. The Guardian had succeeded! How wondrous! Together they joined in the raucous celebration, laughter and light filling the garden.

"Well done, child." Chortled Old Woman. "Well done!"

****

Alanna's control over the great cat grew day by day. She could shift at will now, something which made everyone quite happy. But she worried. Still she worried. The vernal equinox was growing ever closer and she had no clearer an understanding of the upcoming battle than she had to start with.

At night, when she lay in Thomas' arms with the troubles of the world beyond her door muted, she wondered at the purpose of it all. "Thomas?" she queried.

He sighed. His mate's mind never seemed to shut down, not even at night when she should be resting and allowing her body to re-energize itself. Thomas' hands stroked her hair red-gold hair gently, "What is it, pet? Can you not find your sleep?"

"My mind is still running. I can't seem to shut it down." Alanna pulled his hand from her hair and brought it to her lips, laying a soft kiss in his palm. "Why did the Tjurunga choose me, Thomas? I'm not strong. I know nothing of fighting and haven't a clue how to battle evil and save the world. What is it I can do that someone else couldn't?"

Thomas sighed. She could not leave the prophecy alone. "Ahh, Alanna." He loosed his hands, rolling away from her to rise and stalk in all his naked splendor to the French windows.

"Please, Thomas." Alanna implored. "I've asked Old Man and Old Woman again and again, but they tell me nothing." She wrapped a sheet around her tightly and traipsed after him.

Thomas lowered his head to touch the cool glass, frustration evident in the taut lines of his body. His mate was like a dog with a bone, she worried and worried until problems simply crumbled around her. "Alanna, the Gods' messages are never clear, never precise. I have come to accept that I will never know all I think I should know. Can you not accept this also?"

Alanna had never been good at taking the low road. She laid her hand on his arm. "You know more than I do, though. Won't you tell me, Thomas?"

He drew her with him to a nearby chair, pulling her down to sit beside him. "I do not know why the Tjurunga chose you, dear heart. Perhaps it sees in you something you cannot see in yourself."

His lips traced a line across her brow, smoothing the troubled furrows that seemed to be ever-present lately. "I know that you will play a significant part in the coming conflict with the Dark One, Alanna. I know too that you carry my second soul. You were predestined by the Gods to be my mate. And, it is foretold that our union will provide you with the strength and power you need to defeat the Dark One." He tightened his hold on her. "But beyond that..." his voice trailed away.

Alanna stared into the night, her green eyes narrowed in thought. "What or who is the Dark One, Thomas? Do you mean evil incarnate, sort of an aboriginal version of the Christian Satan come to earth?"

Thomas sighed. "Truthfully, Alanna, I do not know who or what the Dark One is. I do know there is nothing in this world or elsewhere that is either all good or all evil, Alanna. Nothing is ever quite so black and white. All of life is composed in shades of gray, some beings appear rather neutral, some light and still others very dark."

Alanna was disappointed. Not in Thomas, but in his answer, or rather his non-answer. Her head dropped back against his shoulder dejectedly. "Thank you, Thomas. Thank you for sharing at least this much with me."

He pressed his lips to her brow. "You are my mate, Alanna. I would do anything and everything within my power to save you this uncertainty."

She snuggled deeper into his embrace. "I know, Thomas. I know." She looked up at him, her eyes glowing green in the dark. "Make love with me, Thomas. Help me forget. For just a little while." She pleaded.

Thomas pulled her over him, sliding warm hands up to cup her breasts. His fingers stroked over her softly, gently.

She leaned down, pressing her mouth to his in a deep, soul searching kiss. Her hands played lightly across his shoulders and down his chest. It was funny. She had never thought of men with hairy chests as being sexy. But she loved the thick pelt covering Thomas' chest. "You're so hard where I'm so soft," she murmured.

"Mmm..." Thomas had a hard time being still. He wanted nothing more than to toss her to the floor and ride her hard. But tonight, tonight he knew she needed gentleness. However, it took everything he had to let her touch and explore freely.

Alanna's soft hands curved downwards, tracing lines along his rock hard abdomen. He was startled when she slid backwards off his lap. "Alanna?"

Alanna's eyes reflected her every emotion. Thomas could see how much she wanted him and it made his heart sing.

She licked her lips. "I want to taste you, Thomas." Her hand wrapped around him gently. Her thumb stroked upwards along the underside of his erection.

Thomas shifted restlessly. "Alanna, please. I cannot..." He set his hands on the armrests of the chair, curling his fingers into the leather.

Alanna ignored him, leaning forward slowly. She wanted to taste him, lick him, consume him! Her tongue flicked out, lapping softly at the head of his cock.

Thomas groaned. "Sweeting. Ah."

Alanna's mouth enveloped him, surrounding him with liquid warmth.

Thomas relinquished himself to the pleasure. All thought left him. He moved his hands to the back of her head, pushing her gently downwards. "Please, Alanna!"

She took him deeper. The head of his cock hit the back of her throat and she swallowed.

"Gods damn!" Thomas groaned. It had been a long time since he had been with a woman who cared enough to see to his needs like this. And none, "Ah, yes!" None had taken him as Alanna did.

Thomas' pleasure fueled her own, fanning the flames of the needing higher and higher. Alanna gave into his unspoken request willingly, letting him fuck her mouth as deep and as hard as he needed to.

Thomas' groans grew in strength and volume. Alanna sucked harder, faster. "Alanna! Sweeting, please... No! You must let go, I cannot... Oh Gods!"

Alanna's eyes gleamed with an inner fire. She swallowed Thomas down whole, milking him of every last wondrous drop of life giving essence. She sat back slowly, licking her lips, smiling her satisfaction.

In a voice raspy with emotion Thomas told her how beautiful she was, how amazing. "Alanna. My mate."

Alanna stroked him, her green-gold eyes wide with wonder. "You're still hard."

Thomas pulled her to him, lifting her onto his lap and sliding her down onto his throbbing cock. "Only for you, Alanna." He started rocking her, pressing his hands against her bottom to teach her the rhythm he wanted, needed so desperately.

Alanna caught the rhythm quickly. Leaning forward, she grasped his wrists, pulling his hands upwards to cup her breasts, refusing to let him have full control of their lovemaking. She shifted her knees outward, pleased to find the new position allowed for deeper penetration.

123456...8