The Stirrings of a Cold Heart Ch. 22

Story Info
A Shattered Day.
4.1k words
4.8
2.8k
3

Part 22 of the 24 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/06/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

That night in the warehouse, Erik had not taken her out of love, but out of need to reclaim her, hard, passionate and barely stopping short of hurting her in his urgency. He would later be far more gentle and tender in his touch when they returned to her home and coupled again. It felt so good to feel his body next to hers. Throughout the morning the lovers laid in their bed and Erik openly answered any questions she had about his past. He held nothing back from her even when she found it difficult to hear. She in turn told him about her adventures over the last five years, not that there was all that much to tell.

What they could not see, as they drifted off to sleep, were the forces conspiring against them. Ryuu had kept an eye on 'Le Coeur Noir' over the last five years and it wasn't hard to do. He paid attention to each and every place where wars or civil unrest developed and always managed to find Erik lurking in the shadows. 'The Dark Heart' was behind every illicit arms deal, sitting in dark corners whispering into men's ears and sowing seeds of discontent, sometimes both. He did exactly as Madirakshi had once suggested: he was making humanity hurt and bleed in repayment for his own wounds. Then one night, out of the blue, Erik collected his things and booked passage to New York. Ryuu and Emile followed and smiled at their good fortune as he led them straight to Aidan. Yes, the best laid schemes were the ones left to slowly boil so the victim never sees it coming. Now the water was reaching the ideal temperature and both men knew it was the time to act.

As the hour of noon passed a wagon with four men pulled up outside of Aidan's home. In the back was an open coffin and a stack of thick heavy blankets. The individuals got out and checked themselves to make sure that they had everything that they needed. One man pulled two pistols from his coat and began to load them while another went to the front door and opened it with a skeleton. Stealthily they moved up the stairs and began to look into the bedrooms. It took no time at all before one of the men signaled the others that he had found their quarry.

There in the master bedroom sleeping peacefully in a large four-poster bed were the still naked bodies of Aidan and Erik. The intruder carrying the pistols quietly cocked them with a soft click while two of the other men unfolded the blankets they had brought with them. Doing as instructed one of the men went over and lit one of the kerosene lamps on the dresser, illuminating the room in a soft warm light. He then went to the window and taking out a mirror began to reflect a beam of sunlight into the room. Moving the piece of glass carefully he positioned the light so that it fell on the sleeping lady's face.

For a moment nothing happened, then he started to notice smoke rising from her face. With a shriek Aidan jolted awake and looked for a moment into the sunbeam. Screaming even louder she attempted to cover her face and move into the safety of the darkness, but she was blind. She could only stumble onto the floor and grope about. Erik too was awakened not only by the screams of his lady but also by the echo of her suffering that visited his own eyes and face. The intruder with the mirror quickly pocketed it and closed the drapes as the men with the blankets surrounded Aidan and began wrapping her up. One looked over her naked form and eyed each curve hungrily.

"I wouldn't mind sampling a slice of her pie," the man commented, licking his lips at the sight of her pretty breasts and other intimate places.

"Let's just do our job," the other man warned. Despite the pain he was in, Erik could still see and with red eyes and extended fangs he attempted to attack the two men. A flash illuminated the room as the two pistols went off sending two silver bullets into the vampire piercing his side and leg and forcing from him an inhuman howl of pain.

The gunman immediately began reloading as the vampire turned his attention to him, growling lowly. Erik was down on one knee and holding his side with his other hand, but summoning all his strength lunged at the man knocking the guns from his hands and using his free hand he tore out his throat. The other three seized the opportunity and ran out of the bedroom carrying Aidan carefully concealed in the blankets, screaming and fighting all the way.

The vampire started to pursue but his wounds slowed him down and he quickly found himself trapped by the sunlight coming in through the windows. He could see them putting Aidan inside the casket and closing it, but he was powerless to stop it. He fought the urge to rush into the daylight to save her because he knew that ultimately it would do no good. He would have to bide his time. They then covered it with yet another blanket, before climbing in themselves and driving off. Erik sat there on one knee at the top of the stairs howling in anguish as they disappeared from view. The only clue left behind were the words painted on the side of the wagon: 'Valdis and Sons Undertaker'.

Alone, the vampire went back into the bedroom and drank in as much of the dead man's blood as he could in an effort to heal himself. There was not enough to fully heal him, but he could at least walk normally again. When the sun set he would be able to feed and get back his full vigor. This was imperative because he had to be strong so he could find Aidan. Thankfully they couldn't break their bond. Using that connection he told her over and over to stay quiet and be patient, all while promising that he would find her.

Stepping out to the landing he stared at the door and contemplated the attackers. Who were they and how could they have been so well prepared? Someone was behind this, someone who knew what kind of creature's they were, but who? He dressed himself in trousers, a linen shirt and shoes, then rummaging through his belongings he found the broken sword that Rabon had instructed Aidan to give him. The once broken blade had been resharpened into a dagger and Erik had used it to kill Rabon. Now it was cleaned and razor sharp. Holding the blade he sat down against the wall of the landing and waited for the sun to go down. Never had a day seemed so long. He swore that whatever God it was that Aidan prayed to was a cruel one and had to be either making the sun stand still or time itself.

After what seemed like the longest day on record, the sun disappeared behind the horizon and sliding the dagger into a sheath and fastening it onto his waistband, Erik took off into the night. He searched every street and face to find either the remaining men, the wagon or any trace of Aidan. He was able to find 'Valdis and Sons' and even the wagon sitting behind the building with one of the blankets still in the back. The only person on the premises was an old man who lived in the rooms upstairs.

The business had been his until his health began declining then he tried to pass it on to his four sons, but the eldest had become attracted to less honest work that gave him quick money. When asked about the other three, the elderly man sighed in disappointment and explained that they were really good boys at heart but they had a bad tendency to follow wherever their big brother led. Unfortunately he had not seen any of them since early that morning and didn't know when they would be back. The one piece of helpful information the old man could give him was that they liked to hang out at a local inn called The Blue Heron and drink whiskey.

Immediately, Erik flew over to the inn but none of the three men he sought were there. Instead he found Alex Mabon seated at a table drinking ale and feasting on a bowl of soup with some bread. Remembering their last meeting from years before, he could only assume that this was the man behind it all. He had come between him and Aidan before. It was not a stretch to believe he was doing so again. Although Erik had to admit that these were extreme measures even for him.

The vampire went straight to the hunter and placing his hands on either side of the table, glared down at him with glowing red eyes. Alex didn't bother to look up and simply wiped his mouth with his handkerchief then took a drink of his ale. When the hunter failed to acknowledge him, Erik overturned the table, spilling the food and drink all over the floor and rousing the attention of everyone in the establishment. Calmly the hunter stood and reaching into his pocket he handed the proprietor enough money to pay for his meal as well as the mess.

"I think you and I should speak outside where there are less ears to hear," Alex suggested. This much Erik was willing to agree to, but stayed closed in case he should try and escape.

Once they were out in the open air, the vampire grabbed hold of the hunter and yanked him into an alley. He slammed him up against the wall causing Alex to groan in pain as his back hit the solid bricks. His hand slipped into his pocket and he quickly brandished a silver cross forcing the vampire to release him. He had no idea what had provoked this attack, but he had no intention of letting himself become a victim.

"Are you still angry at me? It's been five years and I can't believe you're still holding a grudge and looking for Aidan."

"Wrong, I already found her. She chose me of her own free will and yet you still hired four men to break into her home during the day and steal her away from me."

"What?" Alex said, shocked at what he was hearing.

"Do not play games with me. Four criminals broke into Aidan's home blinding her and burning her face with sunlight. They tore her naked and screaming from our bed then three of them carried her off wrapped in blankets. The only reason I said three instead of four was because I managed to tear the throat out of one after he shot me with silver bullets. Who else would know to use silver ammunition, except a hunter? I would have killed them all, but for that damned daylight."

"I swear to you that those men were not in my employ. I didn't even know that you were in New York until you appeared at my table a few moments ago." He could see the doubt in the vampire's eyes and was determined to prove his innocence. "If I were determined to separate you two then the easiest course of action for me to take would be to kill you. Why would I bother with all of that unnecessary foolishness . . . or injure her?"

He was absolutely correct and Erik was forced to dismiss him as the one behind the plot. He would have to simply go back and question the owner of the inn and find out what he knew about the Valdis brothers and more importantly where he could find them. The vampire started back towards the inn, but Alex was not about to hear a revelation of that magnitude and then just let him walk away. Immediately he moved in front of him and stopped his forward progression.

"Out of my way!" Erik snarled, but Alex refused to budge. "If I have to, hunter, I will remove you one piece at a time."

"I do not wish to stop you, but I do want to help." At the suggestion, the vampire looked doubtful. Trust, especially when it came to hunters, was not a virtue he possessed. Nor was he willing to trust Aidan's life to anyone but himself. He started to push on by, but Alex would not be brushed aside. "Whoever is behind this obviously knows what you and Aidan are. The last thing they will expect is a hunter on your side and I have more than enough experience finding and destroying vermin such as this." This was logic that could not be denied. What was most important was getting Aidan back. For this the vampire would do anything, even reluctantly accept this man's assistance. Of course, he would keep one eye on Alex.

The two went back to the inn, but the proprietor had no more information to offer. The most he could tell them was that the Valdis brothers usually were here, but he had not seen them since the previous night. Looking cautiously around the inn for anyone who might be listening, he leaned in close and quietly explained what he had witnessed the evening before. The four brothers had sat at a table with two other gentlemen and although he couldn't hear the conversation, it looked as though some sort of business deal was being made. The only thing he managed to hear was the occasional outburst from the eldest brother calling for drinks and boasting that all their fortunes were made. When asked who the two men were that they were talking with, the proprietor didn't know. All he could say was that one was British, but the other he was uncertain about. He described him as the quieter two, but with the strongest presence and eyes the shape of almonds.

This description only brought one creature to Erik's mind and that was Ryuu. The other one was still a mystery. Without any other leads, the vampire and the hunter went back to Aidan's home to see if there was anything useful on the body of the one dead brother. They were just going up the stairs to the front door when a boy approached and timidly asked for Erik Ambrose. The vampire stepped forward and the child handed him a folded piece of paper then darted off as fast as his legs could carry him. Opening the paper he read: 'Persephone awaits the devil in Hell'. Alex immediately assumed the worst, that Aidan was dead, but Erik knew better. He could still feel her and hear her thoughts. No, to the vampire this note was metaphorical and not a difficult one for him to interpret. Aidan was obviously the Goddess of Spring obviously making him clearly devil. There was only one place he knew of that was dressed to appear as the very depths of Hell.

"She's at the theater," Erik said, before vanishing into smoke and disappearing into the night. Alex immediately cursed at the vampire's rash and foolish decision. Whoever had Aidan was no doubt waiting for him and would be ready. If it had been just Erik, then the hunter would have gladly left him to his fate, but it wasn't. He didn't want Aidan to die because of a foolish and stupid mistake made by that creature. For her sake he decided to follow the vampire to the theater, hoping he would not be too late.

Erik rematerialized in an alley across from the theater. The building was dark and locked up tight. No one had come near the place since the discovery of Linus' body. Most were too afraid of being the next victim. Standing there in the shadows, his senses told him he was right in his interpretation of the note. He could feel his lady inside, blind, uncertain of where she was or what was happening. Above all she was afraid and a captive of unknown entities who were waiting for him. From his vantage point he could see a figure pacing back and forth before the front door. As the person walked towards one side of the building his face became illuminated by a gas street lamp and Erik recognized him as one of the brothers who had taken Aidan. With preternatural speed he flew at the man catching him from behind and dragging him into the shadows.

"Where is Aidan?" Erik growled.

"W-who" The man asked, pulling at the vampire's arm as he tried to breathe.

"The woman you and your brothers stole from me. Mon coeur. Where is she?" He pulled tighter, forcing the man to gasp and beat against the vampire's arm in desperation. "I will have the information I seek one way or another." He reached down and picked up a rat scurrying through the darkness and held it up for the man to see. "During the Dutch Revolt I was tasked with coming up with a new way to torture victims. My method was simple. All I had to do was put this animal in a pottery bowl and lay it open side down against a man's belly. I added a few hot coals to the top and the rat would gnaw its way right through a victim's body to escape the heat. Now do we understand each other?" The man nodded and the vampire loosened his grip slightly so his prey could answer.

"W-we left her in the coffin on the stage, l-like we were told to," he quickly answered, shaking as he spoke.

"Who hired you?"

"I-I don't know," he stammered trying to breathe. "I-it was two men and they didn't give their names. One was English, over the top well dressed and the other ... I couldn't tell where he was from. He had dark hair and looked like no one from around here. T-they told us how to trap her and disable you then we were supposed to leave her on the stage in the coffin. They promised each of us a fortune."

"Have they paid you yet?"

"No," he answered, still struggling against the vampire's hold.

"Let me give you your reward." At this the vampire sunk his teeth into the man and quickly drained him of blood. The fluid flowing into his body, completed his healing and strengthened his body.

He dropped the body unceremoniously to the ground and looked up at the building before him. It was too easy to go through the front or back door and Aidan's captors would be expecting him to do that. Instead he crawled up the building like a spider until he reached the top floor then slipped through the window in the guise of smoke. His vampire eyes took in every detail of the dark room verifying that there was no one inside. It was an office and he could only assume it belonged to the owner or manager of the building. The entire top floor was made up of such spaces. Rematerializing, he removed his boots to ensure that he would not be heard as he descended to the next level.

He peered into the empty landing then quickly moved into the room closest to him. The room was bare except for a pianoforte positioned in the middle of the room. The space was probably used for rehearsals and auditions. Carefully he went over and opened the lid examining the wires inside. Going back upstairs he began to rummage through the offices searching for something flat and sharp that he could use as a tool. To his satisfaction he managed to find a letter opener in one of the desks along with a scarf hanging on a coat rack. He took both and immediately went back downstairs. Sliding the opener into the notch at the top of the tuner screws he loosened them then slid the wire out of the instrument. He then used the opener to tear through the scarf then wrap the fabric around his hands.

Slowly Erik moved through the rest of the floor, but all he found were costumes, props, and various musical instruments. Moving to the top of the landing he could see a figure holding a candle and standing at the bottom of the stairs. In the light of the flame the vampire could see that it was another one of the Valdis brothers. His eyes flashed red and in less than a second he was on him with the piano wire wrapped around his neck. Tightening it with his preternatural strength the thin strip of metal quickly sheared through the flesh until he had cut down to the bone. Erik gave the body a hard jerk, snapping the neck right through the cervical spine and allowing the wire to pass through removing the man's head all together. The man's face was frozen in shock and horror as it fell to the floor with a thud, landing at his own feet. That, combined with the sound of the body landing on the wooden floor seemed to echo in the empty building causing Erik to immediately change to smoke and hide in the shadows. After several tense minutes went by without anyone coming to investigate the sound he reappeared and slowly went down to the next floor.

Here he found the dressing rooms on one side, each one was empty and still as death. In Linus' former dressing room he found a long prop pitchfork made of wood and painted gold. A shabby looking prop to be sure and Erik had ignored it the night he joined Aidan on stage. It didn't look any better now as he turned and left the room. He slowly moved along the passageways until he came upon the catwalks hanging high over the stage. Hiding in the shadows he looked the area over. Down below him he could see the stage lit up from the gas lamps situated along the apron. He could also see the casket Aidan was being kept in and why she couldn't escape. Running the length of the coffin was an iron cross fastened to the lid and sealing her inside.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers
12