The Story of Cadence and I

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She looked insulted. "So that's what you really think of our little troupe? You think that little of us that we don't even deserve the services of someone famous? I am sorry you feel that way, Roger, because I am doing it."

"Fine, if that's how you feel, but I warn you I will not tolerate it, I would rather leave than put up with the village laughing at my expense. It seems a shame to destroy a twenty-five year marriage because of this stupidity, but if that's how you feel then I guess that's it."

She flopped back against the counter. "You don't mean that, surely? Roger, my love, that is just a silly jealous overreaction. I don't understand why we are fighting over something as trivial as this."

"We are fighting because you are ignoring my concerns. If you will not respect my wishes, then I am afraid I think our marriage is quite possibly over. Bloody hell, even Felicity thinks it is trash."

I walked out, slamming the door behind me. I walked down to our local and ordered a pint. Alfred, the barman, gave me a sly look. "You in trouble at home, lad? We don't usually see you here during the week."

"It is nothing, Alf, just me and Cadence had a row and I needed to get some air."

He laughed. "You two fighting... Cor, that's a turn up for the books, folk around here think you are the perfect couple."

I laughed along with him. "Yes, well you would not say that at the moment." I had a couple of pints and we had a brief chat before I wandered back home to find the place in darkness, apart from our bedroom. Cadence and I had never really fought before, and we had never stayed mad at each other long enough to go to bed angry. Still, that's how it was tonight. As I walked in she was reading her lines again. In a repeat of the other night, I rolled away from her and again feigned sleep. This time however there was no snuggling and no good nights.

I got up early for work and as I was packing the van, I had an evil thought. I stopped off at the theatre, went up to the lighting control panel and sabotaged them. There would be no lights that night. Yes, it was petty and vindictive, but I couldn't help laughing as I walked out and climbed back into the van.

I had to work late finishing a couple of jobs on farms from the surrounding district. As I was driving back to the village, my phone went. Noticing it was Cadence, I left it unanswered, letting call after call go to answerphone.

I went home directly, and as I drove by the theatre I noticed it was clothed in darkness. I had a little chuckle before driving home.

Diana was waiting. Usually when it was rehearsal night, I took care of dinner, but that night I was late and she had made her own. "So what's going on, Dad? Why are you and Mum fighting; it scares me."

There was no sense sugar coating it or lying; we had always been honest with the kids, and there was no reason to change that now, so I explained all about what was behind our fighting and I added that perhaps Cadence and I might separate. She choked on her chicken nuggets. "What? You are joking... Dad, it is only a play, a stupid play."

"That's right, sweetheart, a stupid play and if your mother would just see that then we would be okay, but she thinks she is on the West End or something."

She cringed. "Dad, that Nigel is a knob, you don't have to worry about him."

Amazed at her insightfulness, I smiled. "Honey, it is just the principle of it."

She finished her food and I could see how upset she was. We hugged tightly and she hung on like she was afraid to let me go. As she got up to go to bed, there were tears forming in her eyes. I wondered where Cadence was, but in the end went to bed and turned off all the lights.

Cadence stumbled in about ten, and had obviously been drinking. As she burst into the bedroom, she flicked on the light switch, bathing the room in bright light. "Why didn't you answer your bloody phone?" she slurred.

I pulled the blankets over my head snarling. "Because I didn't bloody want to."

"The blasted lights wouldn't work; you know you are the only one who can get the flaming things to work."

"Tough, so if the lights weren't working where have you been?"

"We all went down to the pub for a drink, and it was bloody good fun." She jumped on the bed and tried to cuddle me. "Honey, you should have been there; it was a great night, everybody had a blast, Nigel is a real laugh. You should have heard the stories he told. Everybody was in fits. If you had answered your phone you could have come down with us, it was blimmin good fun."

I didn't respond and she hissed. "Damnation, why are you being so damn pig-headed about this?"

When I did not even raise my head, she sighed contritely. "Could you please fix the lights in the morning? Otherwise, we are all going to have to drive out to Nigel's place; he has offered us his study to rehearse in as a back up."

"Fine." I rolled away from her, keeping the blankets over my head until she turned out the lights. She did try to snuggle behind me but I pushed her arms off me.

"Oh, blimmin heck, hon, how long is this rubbish going to go on for?" she whined.

"Until you give up that bloody play."

She didn't respond, but snuggled up behind me.

I left for work early in the morning before she had risen. I decided to fix the damn lights because I didn't want her going out there to his place.

About nine, I got a call from her screaming wildly down the phone at me as angry as I had ever heard her. "What the hell did you say to Di? She is a wreck this morning. She has been crying that much she has had to stay home from school. You really scared her with all that separation talk."

"Well, she asked what was going on between us and I wanted to be honest with her."

"I don't believe you said that to her. It just beggars belief that you could be so cruel, the poor girl is devastated."

"Well, if you are so worried about her state of mind, give up the play."

"I will not. I can't understand why you are being so obstinate."

I hung up angry and frustrated. I made the decision to see a solicitor to get some advice. As I contemplated my options, blimey, there were not that many. I managed to get one in the next village, so it turned out to be another long day.

As I drove past the theatre, I noticed all the cars and Cadences bike. She didn't use a newfangled bike; it was like some old wreck from the middle ages but she loved it. For her birthday last year, I had it completely refurbished so it was like brand new.

When I got home, Diana was curled up under a blanket on the sofa watching a movie and she had been crying.

I made us some dinner and as I was cooking, Di came in. "Are you making enough for mum?"

I shook my head. "No, she is at rehearsal so she will probably be late."

"But you always make enough for her, and leave it in the microwave."

"Not tonight, dear." She ran out, bawling her eyes out. I had to carry her dinner up to her room.

I went to bed early so the house was again in darkness when Cadence got home. I heard her open the microwave... The TV went on, I was almost asleep when she came in; nothing was said until she climbed into bed and cuddled up behind me, her head on my shoulder. "Would you like to hear about the rehearsal?"

"No thanks."

"Thanks for fixing the lights. Roger, can we talk please? this whole thing has got way out of control."

"You are right it has, and quite frankly I just wish it was over and done with."

"Honey, if you just came down like you always do it would be so much easier you would see it is nothing; you are all wound up over nothing."

"No thanks. I do not want to watch some dirty old lecher snogging and fondling my wife, and what is more, the thought of every man in the village watching at the same time does not excite me."

"Roger I have kissed other men in front of you before and there was never this reaction."

"Don't be naive, Cadence. A kiss under the mistletoe is a lot different to this.

"It is just a kiss."

"Just a kiss, aye, so would his tongue be in your mouth? Would yours be in his? Would his body be crushed against you and his hands caressing you as he simulates having sex with you?"

She turned away, guilty, unable to hold my gaze.

"Well, would it be like that?"

"Honey, it is a love scene, so of course it has to appear real but it is just acting... There is nothing in it."

"Bollocks to that, I am not watching another man snogging my wife."

"How was Di when you got home?" she asked, trying to diffuse the growing swell of anger.

"She wasn't happy; she had been crying by the look of it."

"Roger, can't you just talk to her and explain that you don't mean it, that you are just angry and striking out."

"No, I cannot, because that's not the truth. The truth is, I will not be made a fool of. If you think I am hanging around to become a laughing stock while my wife carries on with another man, you are delusional. You have been adamant you are doing it; well, I am telling you if you do I am leaving, and yes, I am not sure if I will come back."

The colour faded quickly from her face and she staggered back against the door frame. "You are joking, please tell me you are just being cruel."

"No, Cay, I am deadly serious I told you what would happen.... How was your kiss anyway? Is he a good kisser, did the rest of the cast enjoy it?"

"Roger, you are being juvenile. We are miles away from that scene."

"But it is going to happen."

"Honestly, Roger, you are overreacting."

"Really, overreacting, aye, so what happens when Diana comes down and watches the play? How do you think she is going to feel watching her mother snogging another bloke?"

"We are not snogging, it's just acting," she snarled angrily.

"Yeah that's what they say about porn, that's how prostitutes justify their actions as well."

"Jesus bloody Christ, are you comparing me to a prostitute?"

I smiled. "Yes I suppose I am... That's what it is, using sex to sell."

"Oh, for heaven's sake, you are being ridiculous." she hissed.

The next few days rolled by much the same: the house was like a war zone. Their rehearsals were two nights a week normally, but Nigel was pushing them to be more professional. He had brought in a friend of his to direct and he was trying to treat it like a professional theatre group, which did not sit well with some. Cadence, on the other hand, seemed enthusiastic. It was not getting easier and I wondered how it had escalated so quickly. How, why? It was so explosive we couldn't even talk to each other about it, and I wondered even if she said she was to pull out would we be able to get back to our normal life, or would this haunt us forever?

The reality is I hoped that there was still a chance that I could get her to change her mind. I was hoping once she realised I was serious, she would change her mind.

That night when I got home, Di and Cadence were sitting in the kitchen talking and they both looked cheerful, so I hoped it was good news.

Di ran up and gave me a hug and kiss, Cadence came over and we shared a hug as well as she said. "Dinner is almost ready, love."

Dinner was nice and Di chatted away. Cadence asked about work and I asked how she got on at the vet's: she worked there a couple of days a week. All was like old times it was so pleasant.

After Di went off to bed and we had adjourned to the living room, Cadence sprung it on me. "Roger, would you come to rehearsal, even if it is just once because I am convinced once you see that this is just like every other play and there is nothing to be upset about. Please, just once?"

"Why? I have already told you that I do not want to watch that."

"Love, there are hundreds of successful marriages in the film industry, and husbands and wives see their partner kissing other actors all the time. I just think that if you see it happen then you will realise it is nothing to get upset over."

I tried to come up with a reasonable argument, but the tank was empty. "Very well, when is the dreaded scene happening?"

"Tomorrow night will be the first time."

"I suppose so, but don't complain if I get up on stage and punch him."

She laughed nervously. "Roger, don't you think that's is a bit over the top?"

"No, I don't. Tomorrow night, you will share another man's kiss, his tongue in your mouth like the lovers you are supposed to be, his hands will caress you and his body will be against you and I am not sure I can stand to watch that happen."

"But it is not real, it's just acting."

"Bollocks."

It was another long sleepless night.

As I left for work in the morning, she asked. "Will you come to rehearsal tonight?"

"Yes, I will pick up Diana and we will go together."

"Diana..." she spluttered. "Why bring her, she hates the theatre?"

"She might like it this time, seeing as how she will get to see her mother snogging another bloke."

She turned away, muttering something.

That night I left Di at home after dinner and drove down to the theatre. There was all the usual crowd all milled around talking as they worked through various scenes. I sneaked in, staying in the shadows, making sure I was completely unseen. I was astounded that I did not recognise many of the actors; the female actresses were all unknown to me. Clive and Henry, a couple of part-time members were standing not five feet in front of me as we watched. Finally, about nine-thirty, they got to the first kissing scene and Nigel swooped Cadence helplessly into a passionate kiss, his arm around her waist and one behind her head as he held the kiss and he was forceful and insistent, holding the kiss much longer than necessary. I watched on as their tongues flittered around. Cadence's arms circled his neck and the kiss became fiery, his groin pressed hard up against her.

I heard Henry mutter. "Bloody hell, will you look at that... The lucky bastard."

As they separated, I watched as Cadence glared around the hushed group of watching cast members. She was ashen-faced, looking guilty and embarrassed. I watched as she looked around the room to see if I was present, but I remained hidden from her view.

"Excellent," the director barked. "Now let's try it again, but this time can we have the fucking words," he snarled.

Nigel laughed apologetically. "Yes, sorry Harry, I guess we got carried away."

Cadence rearranged her skirt as she added, "Sorry."

"I'm bleedin not," Henry whispered in front of me. "It's better than bloody telly."

Nigel and Cadence worked through the lines before he whisked her into his arms for a replay of the kiss, this time it was even more impassioned and fierce, and Cadence responded to his passion, her arms locked around his neck as their tongues battled.

Henry tittered. "Blimey." Clive nodded, sighing. "Blimey is right, cor what a lucky bastard...look at his hands, all over her bleedin tits."

I walked out silently. As I burst out into the cool night air. It hit me. I staggered around like a drunken firefly. I bent over, trying to suck in some air. God damn it. That kiss. The way she responded. That wasn't acting. She was into it.

I kicked a stone angrily at the parked cars setting off an alarm. I drove down to the pub, my trembling hands clasping weakly on the steering wheel.

I was at the bar when Clive and Henry walked in. The moment they saw me they stopped dead in their tracks and their laughter died away. It took several minutes before they acknowledged me. "Hello, Roger, haven't seen you at rehearsals this time."

"No, it does not interest me." I mumbled, embarrassed, a deep feeling of humiliation engulfing me.

"Probably a good thing," I heard Henry mutter under his breath.

Cadence was already home when I got there and she was in the living room watching television. She looked up coldly when she saw me. "I thought you were going to come to rehearsal?" It was an accusation, rather than a question.

"I changed my mind. I went to the pub instead."

Disappointed, she sighed. "Oh.... are you hungry? I could get you something."

"I had fish and chips at the pub."

She tried to lift her voice, brighten the tone. "Can we talk, love, we need to clear the air don't we."

"Yes... Well how was your kiss?"

"Roger it was just acting, there was nothing in it, I didn't get any pleasure from it."

"Really... That's not what Clive and Henry said."

She instantly went as red as a beetroot and turned away quickly, hiding her embarrassment. As I sat down beside her she muttered, "Roger, this is ridiculous."

"Cadence, if Clive and Henry are to be believed you just lied to me. Apparently, you really enjoyed the kissing scene."

"Those two old fools were just taking the chance to wind you up. It was just a kiss."

I pulled her in close and I kissed her as passionately as I could, our tongues slithered sexily around, dancing and frolicking. She surrendered immediately to the kiss and her arms wound around my neck holding on for dear life.

As we separated, I stared into her hazel eyes. "Was it something like that?"

Her gaze fell away instantly and tears formed in the corner of her eyes. "Well, was it?" I growled.

She shook her head. "No, it wasn't anything like that."

"Really, so when do you think you will be going over that scene again? I will come down and watch for myself."

"Well, I suppose we will go over it again at the next rehearsal on Thursday."

"And if I come down will I see a kiss like the one we just shared?"

"Honey, we are portraying lovers, it's a passionate scene, so the kiss has to reflect that."

"Cadence, please, I am begging you give up this stupidity. There will be lots of other plays, and if as Nigel has said he is keen to be involved in future projects, then you will get another chance in a more suitable role."

"Roger, this isn't just about the play, this is bigger than that. I am annoyed that you think you own me. It's like you don't trust me. For heaven's sake, you actually used the words 'forbid me.' I am not your chattel, I have a mind of my own."

"I don't want to take away your right to make a choice, I just do not understand why you cannot see what everybody else sees. This is just a load of cheap tawdry garbage, none of the other women from the group are prepared to be involved in it."

"Couldn't you just let it run and then see, perhaps you will be able to get past your jealousy."

"You think this is because I am jealous?"

"Of course it is, love, you see Nigel as a threat because he is rich and famous. Of course you are jealous. It is okay, I understand. That's why I think if you can give it time you will get over it."

I stood up quickly. "If that's what you think of me then I think I will sleep in Michael's room until I can find somewhere else."

Her face was pallid as I walked away. "What are you talking about find somewhere else."

"I told you I am not going to be the laughing stock of the village. If you could of heard all the gossip at the pub you would understand; they are already pointing the finger at the poor unsuspecting husband. I overheard a lot of the comments. I am sorry, Cadence, but if you insist on carrying on with this then you leave me no choice."

When I got up in the morning, I left for work without waiting for her.

During the day I caught up with Felicity at lunch. "Felicity could you please talk to Cadence, see if you can talk sense into her?"

She scowled. "I have already tried I am afraid, Roger, but we are not talking at the moment; she is as angry with me as she is with you."

As we chatted, it became apparent that the theatrical society was the talk of the village. There was plenty of gossip around.

I asked who the female actresses were and she admitted that none of the female members wanted to be involved and had all turned down roles.

She leaned in close. "Roger, I am calling a meeting of the theatrical society tonight; you are welcome to come. I would welcome your support. I want to put a stop to this thing once and for all."

123456...8