The Stranger and the Schoolmarm

Story Info
Can the schoolmarm make the stranger settle in Lost Hill?
11.5k words
4.47
6.6k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Stranger and the Schoolmarm

A Lost Hill Romance

Chapter 1

Mexico January 8, 1847

"On your left, Captain!," Smith called out.

I turned just in time to see a screaming Mexican rushing me and was able to get off a shot that put him down.

"Thanks, Smith!" I yelled out in thanks just as a bullet hit him in the chest. His attacker was quickly dispatched, but John Smith died on the field of battle that day. Like so many others. Who's to say if it was a senseless death. I just tried to follow orders and survive. I hoped that, one day, I could leave all my battles behind me.

Soon we had control of the area. The whole battle lasted less than two hours, but they were two of the darkest hours of my whole life. War was a bloody business and anyone who tells you otherwise is either a liar or a fool. Probably both.

I had been good and ready to fight the Californios at that point. General Kearny had marched us clear across the Sonoran Desert in November last. It was grueling; it sucked the morale out of the men, who previously had been proud to be a part of the American fighting force in what people called the Mexican-American War.

Over 20 of our approximately 115 person fighting force had been killed in December when we were ambushed in the Battle of San Pasqual. I, Captain George Turner, lost three men that day. Another bad day for me and my men.

At last, it seemed that we had the upper hand, having joined forces with General Stockton's troops. We were ready to claim a decisive victory in what has come to be known as the Battle of Río San Gabriel.

Even though we won that day along the San Gabriel River, I didn't feel like celebrating. We didn't have time for it neither as Kearny had us fighting the next day about 4 miles south of Los Angeles in the Battle of La Mesa. Thankfully, that battle was over almost as quickly as it started and the following day the U.S. Army entered Los Angeles to no resistance.

Soon a surrender was agreed upon and I started to make my plans to get out of the war business. I'm not sure what I expected when I signed up for the U.S. Army in Kansas about 10 years ago, but it wasn't this. I grew up on a farm and, being the second son of six children, it was expected, but not required that I help in taking over the family farm. I wanted to get out of Kansas and see the mountains. Experience life. The Army seemed like the best option. I sure did get to see the mountains, marching through some of them. But seeing death all around me was wearing me down and I just wanted a good, simple, non-violent life. I suppose I was actually pretty good at fighting, though whether one was alive or not at the end of a battle seemed as much chance as anything else.

For the next year and a half in the Army, I worked at keeping the peace in and around Los Angeles. This was better than war for certain, but I had had enough of the Army and I decided I needed a change in my scenery. I was finally able to get my discharge from the Army and, on July 22, 1848, I packed up my saddlebags and headed North to find a different life in this place called California. California was becoming a big thing now that gold had been discovered, but it wasn't even a State yet. Folks were calling it the Gold Rush and people were coming from far and wide to make their fortune. I wasn't interested in prospecting myself, but I nevertheless started heading North towards San Francisco.

Being on the trail gives one plenty of time to think. What was I looking for? Where should I settle? What should I do for work? I knew I didn't want to settle in a mining town as the lawlessness of a place like that might not be too different than war. I turned 30 this past year, so what I really wanted to do was find a good woman, settle down, have a family, and, heck, I don't know, raise beef or something.

After days of not seeing much except brush and dust, I came across the little town of Lost Hill. I was parched and tired of sleeping on hard ground, so I was ready for a big beer and maybe a bed. Being in the Army wouldn't make most people rich, but I had more money to my name than most my age. Riding into town, it looked like it didn't have much more than a few bars and a general store. Of course, there was a small church and schoolhouse, too. Lost Hill was a nice if average looking town.

I pulled up and hitched my horse in front of The Watering Hole and Rooms. The "and Rooms" looked like it was tacked on afterwards and I wondered at the state they might be, but a little watering was just what I needed.

Chapter 2

March 1848

"Lucinda," my mother said for probably the tenth time, "I really wish you would reconsider the offer from Mr. Culver and just stay here and marry."

"Mother, we've been over this time and again. I'm not ready to get married. I'm not sure I ever will be." I meant what I said. Most of my school age girlfriends were already married off to local ranchers or farmers, but their husbands were old and/or fat and it just wasn't for me.

When I heard that a town not too far from home was hiring a schoolmarm to teach their kids, I thought it sounded like the perfect way to get out on my own and prove I indeed could make it in the world. Lost Hill was growing quickly due to being on the Southern edge of the gold region. The job notice said the town was growing so fast that it had a newly built schoolhouse, but no suitable teacher for the children. Father was reticent at first, but since he knows that I get my stubborn streak from him, he capitulated quickly. Ma, on the other hand, was a different story.

I recall her initial reaction. "No way my little girl is going to go off to some far away place where she don't know nobody."

"Mom!" I implored at the time, "I'm 22 years old, so I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm a woman grown and if I'm not going to stay here and get married, then I need to find a trade and this seems like the perfect opportunity. Besides, Pa says its only a two day ride on horseback to Lost Hill, so I won't be too far away."

There was a lot of arguing about it the next few days, but she relented and within a few weeks I was accepted and started to plan for my trip.

As Father was hitching up the horses, she tried one last time, "But honey," she begged, "You're so young and California is a dangerous place right now with so many ruffians coming to 'strike it rich'. What about your poor Mother's nerves? You know I'll be worried sick about you."

"I know, Mother," I said as I kissed her on the cheek and turned to get on my horse. Tears in her eyes, she waved goodbye as my Father and I rode away.

After two days ride, Father and I arrived at Lost Hill. It was a small town that was clearly growing quickly and we found the schoolhouse and the one room apartment on the back. After getting me settled and staying one night, Pa headed back home.

"Make sure to write your Mother, so she doesn't worry," were his final words before mounting up to head home.

"Don't worry, I will," I said, ever dutiful daughter. It was good to be on my own and I settled into my little apartment built right onto the back of the schoolhouse. It was nice and cozy and, since the whole building had just been built, it was certainly nicer than what I had at home.

Soon, I settled into a nice routine with the children and the school. I even got some work as a nurse. Doc Evans found out soon after I arrived that I was a pretty good helper. Growing up on a ranch, I was pretty good at mending cuts and bruises, patching up Pa or my brothers more times than I can could recall.

Sure, the town was a little rough and tumble and there were plenty of vices that went on in our two bars: The Watering Hole and Blackie's. Why does a small town like Lost Hill need two bars? Both places served the devil's water and housed games of chance that men would lose their fortunes on. Plus, there were women of ill repute that made their livelihood on their backs. It was obscene and I endeavored to stay out of those two places entirely.

Still, there were plenty of good people here in Lost Hill and I was happy teaching the children. I was content in my life.

Chapter 3

August 1848

I pushed through the saloon doors of The Watering Hole and saw I place I could be comfortable in. There was a nice long bar, plenty of gaming tables, not to mention a few fine looking ladies wearing not much more than their undergarments.

I sidled up to the bar and took a seat.

"What'll it be?" the bushy faced bartender asked me.

"Beer, if you don't mind."

"Coming right up." Quickly, he sloshed a frothy if slightly warm beer in front of me. "You new around here?"

"Yup. Just got into town two minutes ago. Name's Turner. George Turner." I extended my hand.

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Harry."

"You run this establishment, Harry?"

Harry laughed, "What? Me? No. I just pour the drinks and help the boss with other things as needed."

Harry and I settled into an easy conversation and then I got to thinking about a bed as the sun was going down. The noise inside the saloon seemed to be in inverse step with the sun: as the sun went down, The Watering Hole came to life.

"Say, Harry, how much for a room and maybe a bath?"

"A dime for a bath and a dollar for a bed for the night. Five dollars for the week."

"I'll just take the one night. Just passing through."

"Sure thing, George," Harry said. "Let me get the boss."

Harry slipped into the back room and then came back with a beautiful, if older, woman on his arm. I figured he was trying to sell me a working gal for the night. While she might be a little on the older side, she looked like she knew her way around the male body. She was very shapely and not ashamed to show off her ample busom. She was probably just either side of 50, but my guess is she could still have any man in the place at the drop of a hat.

"George Turner?" she questioned as she approached me.

"Yes," I replied. "Harry had said he was going to get his boss, but you'll do nicely." I let my gaze fall to the copious amount of cleavage on display.

"I'm Madame Hutchinson. Owner and operator of this here establishment." I probably had gone slack jawed in my surprise. She continued, "You can wipe the surprise off your face. That's always the first reaction I get when people find out a woman owns the place."

"Well, don't that beat all," I laughed in response. I held out my hand, "A pleasure to meet you Mrs. Hutchinson."

"Oh no," she explained, "I ain't no Mrs. At least not anymore. Inherited this place when my husband passed a few years ago. I'm Madame or Madame Hutchinson, but my friends call me Hutch mostly."

"Well, it's a pleasure I'm sure. I was looking for a bed for the night. And maybe a hot bath."

"We can do all that and more. I'll get you set up in your room and I'll have the water going for your bath in a minute. I could also supply one of my ladies to warm your bed for you." She casually waved her arm around and you could see at least four women that worked at The Watering Hole as 'bed warmers'.

"Uh, so are you available as a bed warmer?" I coyly asked.

She rolled her eyes and laughed, "Me? No, those days are over for me." She looked me up and down. "Though, I say. You are mighty tempting."

Though I was mostly joking with her, there was a playful heat building between us. I hadn't been with a woman in a while, so I could already feel myself getting a little excited.

She continued, "Honey, I'm old enough to be your Mama. I got plenty of young girls for you to choose from."

"Well, let's start with the bath and bed and we'll see from there. The night's young yet."

"That it is, George. That it is. Follow me," she said as she twirled away and started to walk upstairs. I finished off the last of my beer and followed her up the stairs to my room.

"Bath will be another 30 minutes or so. Please go back downstairs and enjoy yourself. Fancy yourself a gambling man, Mr. Turner?"

"I've done a bit, but I usually end up on the losing end."

"All the better," she laughed. "For me." With that she left my room and attended to other patrons.

I settled my bags in the room. I sure do like this Hutch lady. Such spunk. And, boy, if she were a little younger or I was a little older, I'd love to take her into my bed. There it is again. I was hardening just at the thought. Man oh man, I need that hot bath.

I headed back down and had settled back in at the bar when a commotion broke out behind me. There was a large man, clearly drunk, standing menacingly over a petite little lady who clearly worked here. He grabbed her by the shoulders and started to shake her saying something like "Oh you will, you little whore!"

"Harry!" came the call from Madame Hutchinson and Harry jumped out from behind the bar. Placing his arm on the guys shoulder, Harry called out, "Alright, Daniel, that's quite enough." This Daniel shrugged off Harry's hand and turned and popped him right in the mouth. Harry dropped to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Two men who appeared to be with this drunken fool starting belly laughing as Daniel turned back to the woman he was accosting.

I had seen enough. "Get your hands off that lady," I yelled to the drunkard as I started towards him.

"Stay out of it, stranger. That ain't no lady. She's just a whore."

"I'm sorry but I can't do that," I say, getting nearer to him.

Within a few feet of him, he hauled back to hit me. It was telegraphed so slowly it was easy to side step his punch and shove him to the ground.

"Why you!" he exclaimed as he scrambled up and started to charge me. I punched him right in the face and he stumbled back.

"You bastard, don't you know who I am? You can't get away with hitting Daniel Sutton." He started to reach for his gun.

"Don't do it, friend," I warned him.

"I ain't your friend and no one tells me what to do," he yelled out as he drunkenly pulled out his gun.

I drew my pistol well before he could get off a shot and pistol whipped him in the forehead, sending him crashing to the ground, unconscious.

"Mister, you ought not have done that," one of Daniel's men said, inching his hand to his gun.

I twirled my gun in hand and had it aimed squarely at his chest before he could pull it. "Now, I think we've had quite enough excitement for one evening, don't you? Let's not make it any more exciting by having you shot in the chest. So why don't you collect your drunken friend and get out of here."

The two men with Daniel Sutton looked at each other and then back to the gun in my hand. Taking my advice, they gathered up their drunken friend and headed out of the saloon.

A chorus of cheers went through the room and I went to help Harry up.

"Damn, George, I ain't never seen nuthin' like what you just done."

"It was nothing," I modestly replied. "I can't abide a man hitting a lady."

Madame Hutchinson was attending to the accosted lady and, after making sure she was okay, approached the bar and rang the bell behind the bar, announcing, "A round of beer for everyone in the place in honor of George Turner and his heroics." An even bigger cheer erupted from the crowd. She sure knew how to run a business. She'd probably make that back in thirty minutes now that mood was merry again.

"Come with me," she said going into her office behind the bar. I followed her out of the din of the bar and into a modestly furnished but cozy little office.

"Thank you, Mr. Turner," she said earnestly.

"No thanks required. Just being a gentleman. And call me George."

"Ok, George. And you call me Hutch. You've earned it." She grabbed a decanter and two shot glasses. "Whiskey? And this ain't the cheap stuff I got out front either."

She poured two fingers of whiskey and then said, "Where're you headed, George?"

"Hell, Hutch, I don't know. Just finding a new path in life." I told her about my time in the Army and the need to get away from the violence I had seen as well as inflicted. Faster than should be possible, it seemed like we were old friends catching up after not seeing each other for a spell. Soon we had gone through over a quarter of her whiskey.

"Oh my, George, I better stop with the whiskey. I've got to get back out there in a minute. Never a dull moment here at The Watering Hole. George, would you consider coming to work for me? You can tell, try as he might, Harry ain't much of a fighter. It's been getting rougher in here lately with all of the increased traffic due to the Gold Rush. Plus, the Suttons are always trouble."

"Oh, Hutch, I don't know. I'm trying to get away from that sort of thing. I'll stay for a few days just to be sure there's no repercussions from tonight and then I think I'll be on my way."

"After what you've been through, I understand. But the offer still stands. Oh and here," she reached into a drawer and handed me a dollar five.

"Hutch, you don't need to do that. It's no trouble dispatching fools like Daniel Sutton."

However, she insisted that I take my money back. I wasn't sure it was pure gratitude or a shrewd business move to get me to stay longer or not, but I took the money and put it in my pocket.

"Better watch yourself the next few days. The Suttons own a large ranch out of town and there's stories about that bunch. Cattle rustling and so forth. They won't take kindly to what you done. And Daniel might be an idiot, but his older brother Joshua ain't and if he comes looking for you, I'd suggest you get of town and quick."

"Thanks, Hutch, but I can take care of myself."

"Oh, I know that by now," she remarked as she held the door open for me to exit her office. "I'll make sure your bath hasn't gotten cold. You go up and enjoy that and get a good night's sleep, George."

It felt good getting the dust off of me as I settled into the hot bath. Did I want to take Hutch up on her offer? I really like her, but, no, I don't want any part of being an enforcer. Maybe I could look around here though and see if there's some good ranch land available. I should at least see if this place is where I should settle.

The door creaked open and I grabbed for my gun I had placed near my bath. I put it back in the holster when I saw it was one of Hutch's girls.

She closed the door behind her and said, "Hutch said to come up and help you with your bath. Or with your bed if you prefer. Free of charge." She was a curly haired blonde, who couldn't be more than 20 years old. She certainly was nice to look at.

"Well, never let it be said that George Turner turned down a nice offer from a lady. I suppose I've got room for you in my bath."

She giggled and started taking off the little bit of clothing she had on before climbing into the bath with me.

Chapter 4

I was at the market early in the morning and couldn't help but overhear the chatter from all the ladies there.

"Did you hear about the tall, dark stranger that come to town?" said one.

"Oh yeah, I did. I heard he gave Dan Sutton what for and sent his crew scurrying out of The Watering Hole like rats."

"About time someone stood up to that crew of hooligans," another one opined.

"Oh, and I heard he is so, so handsome. I swear if I wasn't committed to my Tom I would let him have his way with me." They all giggled at that comment.

"Silly ladies," thought Lucinda. "Getting worked up over some man. Well, gossip and idle chatter is what passes for good conversation these days, I suppose. I hope that the children I am instructing will show more class than these women when they grow up."

I paid for my groceries and was heading out the front door with my basket when I heard, "Miss Spellman, look out!" One of my rowdiest boys, Nathan, was zooming down the porch, chasing his dog. He knocked into my shoulder and spun me around. I was heading straight for the mud hole right off of the porch in front of Chandler Grocery when, as if by magic, I felt as though I was suspended in mid air.