The Tattooed Woman Pt. 07

Story Info
Aftermath of battle, and more questions.
7.6k words
4.88
9.5k
10

Part 7 of the 43 part series

Updated 04/07/2024
Created 11/03/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gortmundy
Gortmundy
774 Followers

I hope folks are enjoying the story so far. Please leave comments, as criticism both positive and constructive is inherently useful. Plus, I like reading comments, so that's cool.

Chapter 7: That's Evil!

Azure stood listening to the Captain's tirade and did her best to keep her confusion from showing on her face, while at the same time she desperately tried not to laugh. The desire to at least giggle had gotten so bad that she was now holding her breath while driving her fingernails into the palms of her tightly clenched fists. At least she hadn't had to stop her commander from physically stabbing the Sergeant, though she expected it had come perilously close at least a couple of times.

The Captain looked like she'd been kicked in the face by a mule, again. Her already badly bruised face now sported a spectacular black eye and bruised jaw, and for the last few minutes, the incensed woman had furiously stormed back and forth the length of the tent as she cursed and swore at Nyx, in at least four different languages and Azure was genuinely impressed. For as far as she could tell the enraged woman hadn't repeated herself even once, but at last, she seemed to be running out of steam.

Finally pausing for breath Captain Ashunara turned to the scout, "So, Azure, you have been promoted to Sergeant, congratulations! It's well deserved, and not before time."

She turned a glowering eye at Nyx as she continued, "Meanwhile, this insubordinate swine has been demoted to private soldier and honorary camp idiot! Who has kindly volunteered to clean out the Orc latrines with her dinner spoon until the end of fucking time! Which was nice of her wouldn't you say?"

"Er, yes Captain..."

"I'm glad you agree. Now go put this idiot to work, oh, and Azure."

"Yes, Captain?"

"If I find her slacking, then tomorrow night Sergeant Lashelle will be standing watch as you both clean the latrines, with your hands. I take it I make my meaning clear?"

"Oh, crystal."

"Jolly good. Now get her out of my sight before I fucking strangle her! When you're done, fetch in Varoona and that tattooed madwoman. I need to know what happened in that human encampment.

The scout walked the disgraced ex-Sergeant to the Orcish latrines and she tried, she really tried, but she only managed to get about three-quarters of the way there before she started sniggering. Within a few more steps she was actually staggering and almost unable to walk for laughing.

It took more than a minute before she could compose herself enough to wipe the tears from her eyes and speak. "Oh dear Gods! That's the funniest thing I've seen in years! D-did you see her fac-"

Nyx sniggered, and that set her off again.

Eventually, the scout returned with Varoona and the tattooed woman in tow. Many of the wounds on the young Dark Elf had been bandaged and stitched by the novice nuns though she still looked battered and covered in bruises, but what immediately caught the eye was the slave collar the woman now wore around her neck.

The tattooed figure standing alongside had a few fresh scorch marks decorating her torso and limbs, but she had washed away the blood that had earlier festooned her body and cleaned away the gore from her hair and under her fingernails, and she appeared typically unfazed.

Azure looked at the pair of them and shook her head with a sigh of resignation, "Oh, this could go so very badly."

Drawing a breath, she steeled herself and entered the Captain's tent. Ashunara was at her small folding desk, and she looked up from the map she was peering at as the woman entered. Azure nodded respectfully, "Captain, I've got those two outside, er... look, respectfully... about Nyx, you know she..."

The Captain held up her hand to stop her and the scout was surprised by the broad smile on the woman's face, "You can stop right there Sergeant, for I'm not truly that vexed at Nyx, my outburst was just temper and theatre, nothing more, and you don't need to defend her."

"Wait, what?"

Ashunara grinned, "I've served with the woman for centuries Azure, do you really think this is the first time we've had a wee falling out? She's saved my life more times than I can count, and I know what she was trying to do, so no. I'm not that angry with her, so you can save your breath. Still, the bitch did punch me in the jaw, and it bloody hurt! I swear, I think she must have been using brass knuckles, and she's going to pay for it."

"But, Captain..."

The Captain grinned, "Relax, making her spend a few days up to her tits in Orc shit is more for my amusement than anything else, she did worse to me when I was a recruit I can assure you and she knows the score, but even so, I am going to fix that old sod once and for all!"

"Please, Captain, don't do anything rash, she's a good soldie-"

"I'm going to promote her."

The scout frowned, "Er, what?"

Ashunara gave Azure such a wolfish smile that the woman had to stifle a shudder, "I'm going to promote her to be my Leftenant. I've let her waste her talents for far too long. That gets her back to running the day-to-day operations of our little company, and lets you get out of here and back to scouting, which is what you clearly want, no?"

"But Nyx hates officers."

"Yes."

"Oh, that's evil!"

The Captain favoured Azure with a shark-like smile, "Mmm yes, it is, isn't it."

Sighing happily as she imagined the spectacular reaction she expected when she broke the news to the old soldier Ashunara turned back to Azure, "Look, regardless of what happened between me and Nyx, you deserve the promotion. You're probably the canniest scout I've ever met, and if it wasn't for your warning, I would have walked us right into that trap and we would have been annihilated."

Azure shook her head sadly, "I was almost too late though, we still got hurt, we lost people and that's on me."

"They were behind a magical glamour, there was no way to see them and yet you still sensed it. Your warning saved us, and Azure, respectfully, I command here, so everything ultimately is on me, yes?"

The scout gave her Captain a resigned nod, "But still..."

Ashunara chuckled darkly, "I know how you feel, but trust me on this, you did well enough, truly. Now go fetch me those two you have waiting outside, we needs must talk of what happened, and Azure?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"You're my Sergeant, if I get infuriated, which seems likely, please try to stop me from doing anything too stupid, if you can."

The scout gave her Captain such a look that Ashunara chuckled again, "I know, no easy task. Just do your best."

Azure sighed, "Fuck me..."

"Well, I would, but what would Lashelle say?"

Azure just shook her head, "I'm going to hate this job."

Moments later Varoona and the tattooed woman stood before the Captain. The young Dark Elf hung her head and trembled as she stared at the ground while the taller woman simply watched with what appeared to be little more than mild curiosity.

Ashunara stared pointedly at the slave collar adorning the neck of the trembling girl, and her voice was hard, "Is that really necessary?"

Tears fell from Varoona's eyes as she whispered, "I swore to serve if she got me out of that place, and she did Captain..."

A shudder seemed to run through the young Dark Elf, and she crumpled to her knees as she began to sob almost uncontrollably, "Captain, I-I'm so sorry! I was so afraid, and when s-she offered me a way out of there, I just took it! I swore to serve, a-and now I've broken my vow to you.... P-please forgive me."

She slumped, weeping in abject misery and only looked up when she felt a hand on her shoulder as Ashunara crouched beside her, "Oh Veroona, there is nothing to weep over here. This is a happy day for me for I thought I'd lost you, girl. And there is nothing to forgive, for you've done nothing wrong. I would surely have done the same thing in your place. I may want words with your... friend here but I promise girl, I'll always be glad and grateful she brought you home to us."

Varoona looked up at her, "Truly?"

"I swear it, and if it comes to pass you do leave my service for that of another then you do so with honour, as a trusted companion, and also as a friend. But let us first see what can be done to avert this from happening yes?"

Rising, she tried not to glower at the tattooed woman, who simply regarded her calmly, "I hope you heard that. Varoona is precious to me, and I am truly grateful to you for bringing her back. What ransom will you accept to free her?"

"None."

Ashunara gritted her teeth, "I'll free you and Cassie both, and pay a ransom. Will you not let me buy her freedom?"

"No."

"What will it take then?"

The woman sighed in apparent disinterest, "Nothing."

Crushing the rising anger she felt, Ashunara stepped forward, "Me for her then! I'm worth more, my ransom greater, take me in her place."

Azure stirred warily, "Captain?"

Ashunara silenced her with a furious look and turned back to the tall woman in front of her, "Well?"

The tattooed woman tilted her head as she stared into the Captain's eyes, and a small smile spread across her lips as she spoke, "That is an interesting offer, and had circumstances been different I might gladly accept. But I must refuse."

The Captain snarled as her growing anger slipped free. She stepped forward glaring up into those strange unblinking eyes and snarled, "Damn you! Damn you to the outer Hells! I don't know what it is you fucking want!"

"I told you; I want nothing."

Ashurana angrily drew her sword with a keen ring of steel, Azure took a step forward but hesitated. The blade quivered in her hand as the Captain desperately tried to master her rage, "You bitch! I swear, if you harm her, I will fucking end you!"

The woman simply smiled, but her voice was barbed, "What is it you fear Captain? I would not separate a woman from her boon companions and sisters in arms. Keeping you together makes you both happier, and given you share each other's fate it surely makes you easier to control, no? If you wish to look after your friend, then I have no quarrel with it. I'm sure if you are wise everything will be well. Or so you said when you placed Cassie in my care as a means of restraint! After all, I would not wish for things to become less "tolerable" now, would I?

The Captain blinked, "I..."

"Besides, the poor girl was frightened, she needs a good Captain, and do you know what? I think you will do admirably. However, I did not accept your offer because..."

The woman ran her fingers down through Varoona's long silver hair until they reached the collar around her neck. She deftly unlatched the cunning device and gently removed it.

"Because, Varoona was never my slave, and even if she were she would have already paid for her freedom days ago."

"How...?"

"With four squares of chocolate Captain."

The woman pressed the collar gently into the hands of the kneeling Dark Elf who looked up at her bewildered, "This is not a gift Varoona, you earned this."

Turning to leave the tattooed woman paused and gave Ashunara a fox-like smile, "I never intended to enslave anyone Captain, I just wanted to see if I could make you angry," her smile broadened, "and it worked."

Before the woman could leave the tent Ashunara found her voice, "Wait!"

The woman turned.

"Wait... I meant what I said about being grateful to you for rescuing Varoona. If you want, I'll still free you for it."

"And what of Cassie?"

"Yes! Her too. The girl deserves something at least."

The woman turned back to stare at the Captain, and her smile broadened, "You know, you are becoming more interesting with the passing of each and every day Ashunara. It is a kind offer, and I truly thank you for it, but I must decline."

"B-but why?"

"Because Cassie is a penniless orphan, with no family and few of the skills needed to thrive in a world as harsh as this. She would not survive her freedom."

"But surely you could..."

"No. I might protect her for a little while perhaps, but I would eventually bring the poor girl nothing but harm and misery. She would be better off without me."

"Then why stay?"

The woman shrugged, "I have nowhere else to go."

The Captain and Azure stared after the woman long after she had left the tent. Varoona was still on her knees, looking at the collar in her hand with an almost dazed expression when Ashunara helped her gently to her feet.

The scout was still looking out the tent, "What the fuck just happened?"

The Captain shook her head, "Not a clue, I can't tell if she just gave a compliment, or told me to stop taking the piss, or both," she turned to Varoona, "exactly what happened back at that human encampment lass?"

"I don't really know Captain. I remember telling the human Lord to go fuck himself or somesuch bravado, and things went a bit downhill from there. I remember her eyes though, and her asking if I wanted to come with her or stay among the humans, and I remember agreeing to serve."

The young Dark Elf looked troubled and shook her head as if trying to clear her thoughts.

"I recall her asking, no telling, the human to let me go, and him refusing, but after that, all I can remember is some great din and a clamour, the screaming of birds maybe? Or was it the screaming of men, I cannot be sure, I was addled from having taken many blows, and weak from blood loss and wounds. I... think she carried me a while. Then I was walking back into our camp, and I fell."

"Will the humans pursue do you think?"

"Captain, I cannot be sure, but... in truth, I don't think she left anyone alive in that camp, for it was as still as the grave when we left."

Azure shook her head, "That sounds insane... no, not you Varoona. But one woman could not overcome such odds be she the greatest warrior who ever lived! It's impossible."

Ashurana wasn't so sure and pursed her lips as she wondered, "You didn't see what she did to that warlock. That... thing hit her with a bolt of magic that would have killed ten men, and instead of falling she spitted the bastard, armour and all, in the blink of an eye."

"Is she some kind of wizard get then, or mayhap a changeling of some kind?"

The Captain shrugged, then drew herself up, and her voice was firm, "A mystery to be solved another day, for we have more pressing matters that require attention. Varoona, get yourself back to those nuns and rest, don't argue. This isn't a rebuke soldier, we're going to need your sword soon enough, I think. Azure..." Ashunara grinned, "sorry, Sergeant Azure, please scout about and see if you can find any sign of Tallis, she and that Sunkissed girl are still missing, and I'd wager a gold dragon they're together."

"What of you Captain?"

"I'm going to see how our wizard is getting on with Elsadore, and mayhap see what preparations can be made towards getting us moving come morning for I think staying hereabouts overlong would be most... unwise."

Ashunara sighed, "Then I must see to the Orcish dead, and those slaves that were killed of course."

Varoona was curious, "Do Orcs have funerary rites Captain?"

"Not as such lass, though the life of a great hero, or wise elder is recognised in story and song among them. Generally, the bodies of the fallen are burned upon the battlefield without a marker, sometimes a Captain, a friend or mayhap kin will take some of the ash, as a memento, or to take back to the lodge of the fallen warrior. But they build no tombs and say no prayers for the dead, saving their strength and efforts for the living."

She turned to the younger woman, "I shall go to the pyre to pay respects, would you care to stand at my side Varoona?

"Would it be permitted Captain?"

Ashunara smiled, "Of course. You fought bravely at their side and took wounds in the battle where they died. I should think you would be most welcome, and I would enjoy the company."

The scout nodded, "I'll ask Lashelle if she would see to the bodies of the dead slaves before I head out Captain."

"Thank you, Sergeant."

When the Captain finally managed to limp over to where the nuns and Quintus were ministering to the injured she found the man slumped over a cot clutching the hand of Esladore. The wizard looked nigh skeletal, and his near-death countenance was as bad as she had ever seen in a living thing. By contrast, Elsadore had regained some colour and appeared to be sleeping comfortably. She knelt at the side of the human, taking in his pallor with dismay, "Dear Gods man what have you done to yourself?"

Hildegard looked up from a wounded Orc, "He won't fucking rest Captain! If he keeps this up, he'll like as not die himself. Well, actually he wont! Because in a minute I'm going to bash the silly bastard senseless and tie him to a cot."

The wizard was so weak he could barely turn his head, "It... it looks worse t-than it is..." he gave the woman a rictus grin, "or so I h-hope. As I f-feared I did not have the art to s-save her."

Ashunara glanced at the sleeping woman and was perplexed, "She looks well enough?"

"I h-had to do s-something, so I... t-transferred a portion of my life energy to... her. It's not an art I have much s-skill with," he gave her a coughing laugh and his voice was a whisper, "I should have s-studied harder, b-but ever did I crave more v-virulent spells, and healing was so dreadfully... dull... mayhap, I t-transferred a little m-more that I intended. What a s-stupid way to... go."

The man crumpled and the Captain eased him down onto a bedroll. Roseanne came to help her, and the Dark Elf looked at her with concern, "Has this idiot gone and killed himself?"

"Near as dammit Captain, fuck! Fuckfuckfuck!" The novice hurriedly began stripping off her robes and undershirt as Ashunara looked on, utterly confused.

"What in Hell are you doing woman?"

Blushing furiously Roseanne pulled off the last of her undergarments and crawled alongside the emaciated wizard, "I'm going to lie with him, please... cover us with a blanket if you would, this is shameful enough."

"What the fuck? You can't sleep with the man! He's near death, what are you trying to do, finish the poor bastard off?"

"I'm NOT going to sleep with him you feckless idio... sorry... er... 'Mistress'. But it may be that the sharing of bodily warmth and other humors will aid his recovery, or so Sister Agathea mentioned, though she was talking of mother and child, I think."

Ashunara shook her head as she fetched a blanket to spread over the two. Looking down at Roseanne's ample bosom she couldn't help muttering, "If it doesn't work then at least the bastard will die happy I suppose."

After tucking blankets around the man and woman the bewildered Captain looked up at Hildegard as she finished stitching a wound on an Orc's scalp. The creature rose and grunted thanks before hefting its axe and moving off.

The Captain looked about, the ground was stained red with spilt blood and Hildegard looked exhausted, "How do we fare Sister?"

The woman wiped her forehead and sniffed, "Well enough Captain. I know nothing of Orcs save what I've learned these last few days, but they are hardy folk. Many have wounds that would fell a strong man, but they shake it off and go about as if inured to pain.

"They're tough, that's for sure. What of Elsadore?"

Hildegard grinned, "Well for all he's a blasted fool, the wizard has worked a miracle it seems. She was all but dead I swear it, but now I would not be surprised if she was well enough to walk, for a spell at least, on the morrow. I've not ever seen the like."

"Truly?"

"Aye Captain, unless some strange malady comes upon us unannounced I would have her up and about after a night's rest. Now come here please."

Gortmundy
Gortmundy
774 Followers