The Tattooed Woman Pt. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hildegard placed the thick jacket upon the table and turned back to the Dark Elf. Ashunara wore a silk shift beneath the padded garment and the human swallowed as she saw how the sheer fabric outlined the woman's lithe figure.

Sitting on the cot the captain began struggling with her boots, and Hildegard reached to help, "Here Captain, let me, otherwise we'll be all night."

"I can think of worse ways to spend a night," muttered Ashunara.

"Pardon?"

"Hmm? Oh, nothing, but my boots are dirty, don't soil your hands, I'll manage."

Hildegard pushed the dark Elf back on the cot with a smile, "Hands wash, let me help."

After tugging away the boots the human woman couldn't help but giggle when she pulled off the woman's socks to reveal her feet.

Ashunara shook her head in resignation, "Why the Hell does everyone laugh at my feet?"

"I cannot help it, forgive me, but they're so cute."

The Captain wriggled her toes with a wry smile, "Indeed."

Hildegard pulled the Dark Elf to her feet and reached for the belt around her waist, "Stand for me a moment if you please Captain, so I can get these leggings off."

Ashunara stepped close and rested her hands gently on the woman's waist as she whispered, "Now there's a direction I'm happy to obey."

Hildegard felt her face warming as she slipped her hands inside the waistband of the leather troos and pushed them over Ashunara's hips. She licked her lips nervously, "So, Captain, this bordello. Is it just for... um, sex?"

Lifting her feet to allow the leggings to be removed the Captain laughed lightly, "Indeed no, well, not always.... Well, sometimes not at least. I go there to be pampered, to bathe, for conversation, song and music, and yes, often for intimacy. Once one of the ladies asked to draw me, for she enjoyed art, and I actually ended up paying coin to spend an evening posing for her while she chatted about her previous life."

The human's eyes narrowed shrewdly, "Oh, and what are the details of this picture good Captain, if I may ask?"

"It was after my bath, and I was wearing... little."

"Little?"

"I recall I still had a clasp in my hair, for she had braided it for me after I bathed."

Ashunara sat back on the cot and reclined as Hildegard pushed the knee length shift up to mid-thigh and ran her fingers gently over the smooth skin, "Wonderful."

"Your pardon?"

"Oh... ah, it heals well Captain, the wound is all but gone."

Standing, Hildegard studied the Dark Elf on the cot before her, shift pulled to mid-thigh and hair splayed about her shoulders, a wicked smile on her face and dark, dark eyes that gazed up into her own, "Gods she's beautiful."

"Might I ask a question Captain?"

"Please do."

The woman reached up to her shoulder and unclasped the tattered dress she wore before allowing it to slip down her naked body and pool at her feet, "Would I be worth a coin or two do you think?"

Ashunara grinned, "Maybe a couple."

"Oh! You cheeky bit..."

The Dark Elf uncoiled from the cot with surprising speed and wrapping her arms around the woman's waist she pulled her into a kiss that left Hildegard breathless.

Stroking the woman's hair and trailing her lips down the woman's neck Ashunara whispered, "Well, perhaps more than a couple."

...

The thing sat still as stone upon a mount as black as night and observed as the horde it had fashioned into a weapon poured like an ocean through mountain passes and along the old coastal roads. In the distance lay the witchlights of old Miosgan Meadhba.

The cold, dark winter months slowed the advance and favoured defender, though it also slowed their response and reinforcement. Even so, it would take some days to reach this first objective and deploy for assault. The Drow made excellent scouts, infiltrators, and swift raiders, but despite their individual skill they were undisciplined and lacked the heavy armour necessary for a siege. However, there were many other assets at his disposal that more than made up for such deficiencies.

The walled town had been built back in the days when sea reavers raided at will, bringing fire and blood to these lands and so it was a fortress, though much of its defences lay derelict or had long fallen to ruin and disrepair. Still, it was a place of strength, as it commanded the bridge across the Graven River, a wide but sinewy waterway that stretched between the sea and the black depths of Loch Gile, where in ancient times Romra's daughter had swum.

Beyond the bastions of this town lay the ancient barrows of the Carrowmore, a place of great power, where the thing might drink deep of the puissance that lurked in those ancient tombs and thus strengthen and refresh itself. Still, to reach that place the walls of this citadel must be breached, and the populace reduced. The creature breathed deeply as it pondered, this stronghold was truly not what it once was, but a fortress it remained, nonetheless. There would be a garrison, possibly a magus, and they would not be taken unawares.

Still, it was perhaps long past time to properly blood his army and cull the weak.

Demeritus watched his lord and master and quivered in fear, for the news he bore was not favourable. Pain and suffering would undoubtedly be his payment for carrying this tale, but to do otherwise would invite far greater punishment. Terror gnawed at its heart and his hands shook, for he well remembered his 'rewards' for earlier failings, "I needs must mitigate this failure or by some design either turn it to success or place the blame upon another, if I do not, he will sup on the very marrow from my bones."

Turning to the Drow Captains who attended him he all but snarled, "Were you not given strict command to avoid the Dwarves if possible and yet now you bring me tales of some worthless mine being sacked, and all so that looters could fill their pouches with a few trinkets? Are you fools that would antagonise a militant species and have us fight a war on two fronts when it is not yet necessary?"

The nearest and boldest of the dark spawn genuflected and spoke with unctuous voice, "Highness, forgive, you know how we are, how we crave mithril and the like, it was but a few of my kin who saw advantage and seized upon it. There is nought to fear from a few Dwarves, I beg your indulgence."

Demeritus stepped closer and his hand lashed out, punching through the creature's black armour and penetrating its chest with a sickening wet crunch of shattering bone and tearing flesh. The Drow coughed in shock but was not allowed to fall, instead, its eyes rolled back, and its limbs twitched spasmodically before they hung limp. The skeletal figure tore its hand free, now slick and red with blood from fingers to elbow and showed the stunned thing its own still-beating heart.

"My Lord does not fear Dwarves, and I do not indulge failure."

The dead Drow stood transfixed, now nothing but an animated husk as Demeritus casually tossed aside the gory token he held. He turned his eye upon the other Captains.

"Return to your troops, bring me the heads of those who disobeyed My Lord's commands. See it done by dawn's first light or suffer the fate of this fool."

The Drow retreated leaving the creature to its anger. The thing spat upon the ground and casually wiped its blood-smeared appendage upon the newly created Draugr before gesturing. A servitor slunk forth to receive command, "Take this husk and place it with the others so the incompetent fool might finally be of some use!"

After they had gone Demeritus turned his gaze upon his entourage and called one forth, "Shalidar, my cousin, something is amiss, and you must go abroad to discern its nature. I will remain and ensure that all preparations for the attack are in place according to our Lord's design. Do you understand?"

Shalidar bowed, she had doffed her helm in his presence and the scales of her armoured coat glittered in the torchlight like burnished bronze, but her brow was furrowed with irritation and her voice contained a full measure of spite, "Yes, cousin, as you say, I will make ready at once. If not too troublesome, might I know where I am to go perchance, or how you will answer our Lord should he become jealous of my absence and make enquiry?"

"Worry nought, this should be a simple task for one with your keen faculties and provided you do not tarry or fail you shall surely return soon enough. There is a place that is shrouded from sight, and this vexes our master," explained Demeritus with a sneer of distaste, "to soothe his concerns, I dispatched an Abhartach to make enquiry, but instead of returning with required intelligence it chose to meet the Sun."

Shalidar's face bore a perplexed look and her voice was heavy with disbelief, "A vampyr chose to meet the sun, this does not sound a credible thing."

The gnarled figure of Demeritus creaked as he stretched to ease the pain in his twisted limbs, "I would agree cousin, therefore there must be an extraneous element we have not yet recognised. It is troubling, but its nature must be discerned and revealed, and this now falls to you."

"Most worthy cousin, I shall not fail you," Shalidar's voice was heavy with false concern, but her visage barely concealed the glee she most obviously felt at the predicament that looked to be falling upon her superior, "however, there might be something fell lingering about this place you speak of, do you think it not likely that I may require escort?"

"You may cease your false posturing Shalidar, surely your potency is more than sufficient for such a simple task. See to my commands at once."

Shalidar retreated with a bow, "Of course, all shall be as you direct, Highness."

As it reached that part of the host where her own banners marched, she chuckled, "No escort indeed! Cousin, your clumsy schemes are transparent to me," stretching forth her mind to a subordinate she issued her commands, "Summon me a Fomorian, prepare my personal guard and assemble my armourers for I shall don my full panoply this day."

...

The morning was bright and still, but bitterly cold as Captain Ashunara led her company along the floor of the glen towards the great writhing wall of mist that formed the boundary between the Human and fae realms. The mist swirled and shifted like waves lapping at the shore while wisp-like tendrils coiled and uncoiled as if stretching to grasp or engulf any living thing that came within reach. Each of the Dark Elves had broken out torches, and with a few arcane words they ignited eldritch witchlights that would cause the mist to recoil away from them.

The frost beneath her feet crunched and the company almost seemed to contract upon itself as sellsword and slave alike nervously huddled closer to their fellows, and she recalled the words she had spoken to all as they began their approach.

"Mind yourselves and mind those nearby. Stay close to the torches, they will protect and guide you. If you become separated stay still, for I will not abandon you and you will be found. You may see lights, or hear sounds as we pass through The Veil, some may sound familiar, but do not be misled by them for they are glamours aimed at drawing you astray, and if you wander you will likely be lost to us."

After delivering this dire warning she had led Hildegard across to where the Sunkissed Elf was walking, "Lilion, the Sunkissed have ever had a way with these mists they say, if it please you I would be personally obliged if you would watch over the young ones as we make passage, and do what you can to curtail their wanderings," the Elf nodded and moving closer Ashunara whispered, "I have no right to ask this of you Lily, but I would also take it as a kindness if you would keep an eye on Hildegard for me."

The Bright Elf gazed at the Captain a moment, "I hear you loaned Tallis the coin for my purchase, is this so?"

Ashunara blushed and for just a moment she grinned sheepishly before reasserting her stern demeanour once more, "She is kin, and you a worthy investment after all."

The Sunkissed smiled, "Indeed, what else could it be, not sentiment surely? As for Hildegard, she will be safe walking by my side Captain, my word on it."

She nodded her thanks before moving back to the front of the column and taking her place alongside Azure and Nyx, "Ready?"

The scout nodded silently while Nyx grinned, "See you on the other side, Captain, drinks are on you right?"

Cassie shivered in fear as she stared at the great roiling wave only to jump as Muriah moved silently alongside her. The Dark Elf held a short brand retrieved from the campfire and she winked at the young woman, "Watch."

She blew gently upon the charred wood and the end ignited into a witchlight. Turning to Cassie she grinned, "See, stay by me and we'll be safe enough Cassie."

Behind them, Adair shook her head with a quiet chuckle before glancing back up at the wall of mist.

The captain looked back at her little columns to ensure all was as it should be and that there were witchlights evenly spaced along its length before nodding to herself and with a wave of her hand she led the way towards The Veil.

As she drew closer the strange vapour roiled and churned for a moment before rolling back to part before her like a receding tide, forming a long high trench at least a hundred paces wide and easily ten times as high, with a seemingly impenetrable wall of mist on either side. Ashunara stopped dead to stare in bewilderment at the phenomenon, "What in Hell? Azure, what do you make of this?"

There was no reply and looking back she saw that Azure was standing looking up at the walls of the trench in open-mouthed amazement, "Azure!"

The call restored the scout's focus with an almost audible snap, "Apologies Captain! I've never seen the like."

Nyx peered about, "This is fucking weird."

She turned back to the Captain, "It's like a bloody road," she peered forward and after a moment pointed, "fuck me sideways with a battleaxe! I think I see the other side from here."

Ashunara moved alongside to look along the woman's arm while shaking her head, "That's fucking impossible! It takes a week at least to make the passage."

"Look for yourself."

Sure enough, in the far distance, the Captain's keen eyes could just make out the great walls of the Wyrdstone Gate spanning the vale, with the mighty battlements of the Castle of Finvarra just behind.

Nyx looked to her, "Do we risk this road, Captain? It may be a glamour, but if this is a true path it could see us safely to the other side in less than a day."

Pursing her lips Captain Ashunara drew a breath through her teeth and stilled herself a moment before nodding, "We'll chance it! Let's move quickly," she turned to the scout, "Azure, go on and see what's up ahead. I think haste might be in order, but not so much that I wish to be taken unawares."

"Aye, Captain," the woman nodded to her and readied her bow before moving off swiftly.

The company made its way along the canyon of mist in silence, save for the occasional clumsy footfall or drawn breath. The fog banks to each side were as dense as thick smoke but occasionally some shape or other could almost be discerned as it shambled or floated by, but despite the fears of many nothing broached the swirling barriers to assail them.

In time Azure returned and Ashunara saw that for once this huntress, who had ever seemed to have nought but ice in her veins, was visibly shaken, "I scouted some distance ahead Captain, I've never seen such a path, nor of any place in The Veil where mist does not obscure sight and sound, yet this is like walking in a summer meadow, I am amazed, and I confess dumbfounded. The mist has been parted as if by someone carving a cake. I have seen empty crofts and even a barrow that may have lain covered, hidden and unseen by mortal eyes for years innumerable. It's.... I have not the words."

Ashunara smiled gently, "This place seems still and quiet, but the air is fresh at least, Azure I know of your long-held fascination for such places. If you have scouted our path and found no danger and now wish to explore a little, I will not obstruct you, such an opportunity may never come this way again, but for the love of all the Gods lass, please, I beg you, have a care. The very thought of the mists closing in around you fills me with dread."

The woman bit her lip and the Captain could see in her expression the war inside her between temptation and prudence being fought, It was clearly a one-sided battle, "I should not, it is... unwise."

"Gods lass you are almost bouncing up and down with eagerness. I have never seen you this way, it's... cute, and there's a term I never thought to associate with you, 'beautiful', certainly, 'terrifying' maybe, 'cute', not so much. Remain within sight of us if you can but explore if you will. But for the love of night stay away from those barrows you spoke of."

The woman beamed a brilliant smile that made her look almost as young as Cassie, "I will Captain, and thank you."

Nyx sidled close as the woman loped off, "Might not be the wisest decision, but I can't say I blame you."

Ashunara nodded, "It's an utterly daft choice to be honest, and filled with potential perils and unknowables, but did you see her face? How could I do otherwise?"

The older Dark Elf sniffed, "Meh, anyone or anything trying to ambush her is like as not going to get swiftly eviscerated. As a certain human wizard, we both know once said, "Fuck it then, what's life without risk and reward?"

Looking about the Captain pursed her lips, "There are further facets of this to be considered, and they do not fill me with happy thoughts."

"How so?"

Ashunara looked at her, "We fear the mist might close about us, and this is a reasonable concern, but think on this, what if this path remains? What if it is now a permanent feature? Instead of a murky and hazardous week-long journey through an imponderable mist, might there now be an open road directly to our door? Even from a purely military perspective, this might be the stuff of nightmare. In time competing armies would march back and forth along this 'avenue' and turn it into a quagmire of corpses and spilled blood."

Nyx shook her head and blew out her breath, "You do not paint this in a friendly light Captain."

"You need not fear, it will close behind us Captain."

Looking around at the voice the Dark Elves saw the tattooed woman standing nearby. She favoured them with a strange smile as she picked up a pebble and idly tossed it into the mist. The projectile flew through the air to vanish into the fog, leaving only a faint ripple to mark its passage.

"Did you do this?"

Adair looked at them both, "Me? This is not my mist Captain, I did not weave it or place it here, but I think perhaps I see in its shifting tides the mood of the one who did. It is as much a gate as it is a barrier, and if one could but fathom its currents it could carry a traveller to many a strange shore. This way to the Fae, yonder to the Land of Giants, another path to the green hills of Tara, or perchance to Annwn, or Albios, the Otherworld or Tir Na NÓg. There are endless places a traveller might visit if they could but find the right path."

Ashunara looked about, and then back to the woman, "And, you can... see these paths?"

She shook her head, "One can only truly see the path that lies before it, but I could find them if I wished to walk those roads I think," she grinned, "but today it appears our path leads to The Fae."

Looking at the woman Ashunara was taken by the changes she saw. At first, she had been much like some strange and dangerous automaton, like a golem or somesuch, and then stilted and peculiar, but now, with her wounds healed, red hair spilling down over her shoulders and bright smile she seemed more... alive."