The Tattooed Woman Pt. 19

Story Info
A dinner with friends.
3.7k words
4.88
7.5k
9

Part 19 of the 43 part series

Updated 04/07/2024
Created 11/03/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gortmundy
Gortmundy
765 Followers

I hope folks are enjoying the story so far. Please leave comments, as criticism both positive and constructive is inherently useful. Plus, I like reading comments, so that's cool.

The Tattooed Woman Volume 2 - Chapter 5:

The manse of House Varro was home to one of the oldest of the Great Houses in the Dark Elven city of Emain. It had been built during an earlier age and over countless centuries had withstood fire, flood, war, magical assault and even, if the ancient tales were to be believed, the burning venom of a mighty dragon. It was an elegant structure with outer walls of spell-crafted obsidian, dark marble and granite, that housed many galleries, observatories, halls and libraries among the countless other chambers, illuminated by tall stained-glass windows and witchfire lanterns. There were many whispered stories of ghosts haunting lost corridors and secret subterranean chambers, with purposes ranging from armouries, storerooms, bathhouses and alchemical laboratories where arcane mysteries were plumbed and even demons summoned.

Off one of the upper galleries, was a quiet nook, and a door that led to a comfortable chamber that oft served as an intimate dining room for family, and close friends. It had a tall window that overlooked the gardens and offered a fine view of the night sky. Tonight, the chamber rang with the noise of cheerful merriment, the muted clatter of plates and cutlery, the chinking of crystal glasses and the happy sounds of carefree conversation.

Ashunara found herself laughing as Tallis told her tale of how she found Lily and Muriah passed out together after their drinking contest. Her description of the dishevelled state of the two inebriated women was both lurid and inventive and even Aventine giggled at the Sunkissed girl's blushes and half-hearted protests.

Her embarrassment only grew worse as Tallis went on to describe the girl's subsequent drunken ineptitude when she was carried back to her chamber and made attempts at amorous embraces and slobbering kisses, only to fall into a drunken slumber almost immediately.

Lily protested, "At least I don't snore, like you."

"I do not!"

Ashunara laughed, "If it's snoring, you're after try sleeping in the same tent as Muriah. She sounds like a pregnant cow passing a particularly obstinate bowel movement. I swear I nearly smothered her in her sleep more than once just to shut her up. Is it any wonder I eventually made her sleep outside?"

There were five of them around the table having a quiet supper together and at Hildegard's suggestion, all the servants and guards had been dismissed from the chamber after laying the tables and placing platters and bowls of deliciously smelling food upon their boards. Leaving them to relax and simply enjoy each other's company outwith the prying eyes, needs and expectations of others.

By the time Hildegard had given her version of Muriah's "fight" with Ashunara and how the poor woman had all but tripped over her own feet and flattened the tent as she careened through it spluttering like an enraged drunkard Aventine could barely hold her fork for laughing.

Lily then told her story of how she had all but made good her escape only to find herself instead worrying so much about Tallis that she instead ran through a dank forest in the middle of the night to hide outside a cave in the pissing rain like a love-struck poltroon hoping to catch a glimpse of the girl while Azure casually walked up behind her and all but tapped her on the shoulder.

Waving a chicken leg at the girl Ashunara grinned, "Ha! Don't feel bad about that, the spooky bitch has been sneaking up on me for years. T'is a certainty she thinks it amusing, and her night is surely not complete until she's scared the Hell out of me at least once," she peered about the room comically, "best check under the table Aventine, the sneaky bugger could be in here with us and we'd not know it until she stole your dinner."

The room sounded with laughter and Aventine surreptitiously eyed the human woman seated at her sister's side. It had been Hildegard's idea to have the meal together, and she'd clearly made good on her promise to speak to Ashunara, for there was none of the cold anger that she saw so often in the woman's eyes. Indeed, her sister looked relaxed, and happy, though given how her spies among the household servants had whispered of the impassioned cries and sounds of delight that had been heard emanating from her bedchamber until long into the wee hours that was perhaps hardly surprising, and she found herself chuckling wryly in good-natured envy.

"Hildegard, my sister tells me you consider life as either nun or courtesan. For what it may be worth you need not feel constrained to these choices. You would be welcome here as my guest for as long as you wished," she chuckled, "it's not as if we are short of room after all."

The woman smiled, "That's very kind, Mistress Aventine, and the manse is more than lovely, but in truth, I would need something to occupy my time. It would sit ill with me to simply indulge upon your hospitality," she gestured around her, "as marvellous as that may be."

Aventine gave the woman a sly smile, "Oh, I'm sure we could find something useful to occupy your time if such was your desire."

"Such as?"

The Matriarch shrugged, "There are many positions within the household itself that require a skilled hand and a quick mind, but we are also a Great House. In addition to sponsoring a Free Company we have many financial interests and properties, we trade with other Houses, and other tribes, be they Orc, Dwarf, Gnome or Human. With suitable training and tuition, you could find value and purpose in any one of a number of niches, or in none if truth be told. If you desired it you could pursue some art, as opposed to industry or commerce," she smiled, "I make the offer because Ashunara is leaving to go north soon and as her guest, it would be ill of me to leave you in loneliness after she departs. Anyway, think on it, you would be welcome here for as long as you wished to remain."

"As a slave though?"

Aventine shrugged, "That is more to fulfil our cultural imperatives than any desire to keep you in bondage," she cast a shrewd eye at her sister and continued, "I suspect that if you wished it Ashunara would free you from that role whenever you asked it of her and only keeps a collar on you so that others know you are under her protection."

Ashunara grinned, "T'is true Hildegard," she chuckled, "though I admit to delighting in having you at my beck and call, for who wouldn't, the collar is more to keep the wolves at bay than anything else. They will see it and know what they risk should they offer you insult or abuse. Once you are settled and secure here it can be removed or exchanged for something more to your liking if that is what you wished."

"And should I wish to continue to wear it?"

Ashunara smiled, "That would please me greatly, I admit. But you do not have to Hildegard, when you offered yourself to us in exchange for the lives of those children I was well impressed by your bravery and selflessness. It is not something my kind are well known for. I said then that I would see you to some kindly station and not enslaved to some cruel Mistress, and I will be true to that bargain. It is not my desire to keep you in bondage, nor was it ever."

Blushing the Human woman reached to take hold of the Dark Elf's hand, "Oh, I have no desire to remain in chains all my days, but I admit you're not that bad. No whips or cruelty yet, but mayhap you seek to lure me with a false sense of security?"

Ashunara spluttered, "Whips? Chains? When have I ever even suggested such?"

"Oh, so you didn't threaten me with a thrashing for suggesting I would have an Orc pin you to my table so I could examine your leg?"

"I was jesting, wench!"

Hildegard gave the woman an evil smile, "I wasn't."

Aventine laughed, "See! I knew I liked her. Mayhap there's some Dark Elf in you after all, Hildegard."

Tallis muttered to Lily, "From all the screams from their bedchamber there certainly was last night."

Their laughter was interrupted when a servant opened the door. Looking up they saw Lashelle being admitted and Ashunara felt her surprised smile congeal as she took in the ashen look on the woman's face, and the tears in her eyes.

"What's happened?"

...

Adair was once again naked, and this time looking at an impressive array of swords and other blades. Nyx had taken her shopping for some decent travelling clothes to replace the worn garb that had once been salvaged from corpses lying dead upon the battlefield. The veteran had complained in her typically acerbic but good-natured fashion, "Dammit lass! I'm a swordswoman, not some bloody soft-skinned debutante to go searching endlessly among frocks and shit, I fucking hate shoppi... ooh, I like those boots."

Paying a lad to convey their many purchases back to the Raven's Nest they had retired to a good inn for a few drinks and a fine lunch before moving on to a workshop used by their company and where the Dwarven craftsmen were well known for producing weapons and armour of quality. The place was filled with the sounds of ringing hammers and smelled of hot metal and burning coals. The light from the glowing forges cast a lurid glow about the place and sweaty workmen and women, many stripped to the waist save for a thick apron to stave off sparks and fire toiled while apprentices learned their craft under the critical eyes of master artisans.

It had taken time for Adair to be fitted for armour to suit her tall form and she had spent a goodly amount of the afternoon being poked, prodded and measured by a grimacing Dwarf, who muttered invectives from under his scorched beard regarding tall women playing at soldier until she shut him up with a few Dwarven words of her own regarding the possible likelihood of some short stumpy bastard who annoyed her overmuch being stuffed headfirst into his own forge.

The creature stared at her from under his thunderous brows for a moment before bursting out laughing and moving off to begin the work on her mail.

Nyx came back with the weaponsmith soon afterwards and paused, "Gods woman, do you ever wear clothes for more than a minute at a time?"

The tattooed woman shrugged, "Yon armoursmith said he required to measure me again to properly fit a gambeson. I did not see the point of dressing, simply to take it all off again in only a few moments, and the workshop is warm enough."

"I'm sure his apprentices appreciate the display, but perhaps you might wear a shirt at least."

Adair turned to the woman as she hefted a pair of long blades, "Am I being immodest, is it unbecoming?"

She shook her head, "These swords are too light for me, I require a more vorpal blade I think."

The old Dark Elf gazed at the woman. She was striking, as opposed to beautiful, her wounds had long since healed, her long copper hair spilt down her back in a cascade and the serpentine tattoos that wrapped her form seemed to almost glitter as if they revelled in the light and heat from the forges. She was tall and well-proportioned, and Nyx could see the movement of the muscles under her skin. The Dark Elf had never really looked at the figure since those days when she was covered in scars and burns, but she could see the woman sported the athletic physique of a fighter, with long limbs and broad shoulders, and when she hefted and tried the swords she held, she did so with obvious ability.

Nyx grinned as she watched the woman twirl a broadsword about expertly, "I thought you said you had forgotten your skills with a blade?"

The sword hissed through the air as the woman practised a few cuts, "Hmm, oh, it has been a very long time since I needed a langseax, but I do recall the basics it seems. It was my mother who first taught me some martial skills, and afterwards, my husband refined the art."

Nyx watched as she picked up the second blade she had been considering and effortlessly spun them both about her like some lethal whirlwind, "The basics huh? Riiight."

Adair stopped and frowned at the swords, "They're not that bad, but too light, and I doubt they have the edge to cut certain of our foes. Do you think we have time for me to forge a blade of my own?"

The weaponsmith with Nyx spluttered, "What? Those are fine swords lass! Made from best steel they are, and sharp enough for any field. What do you intend to fight wench, a bloody dragon?"

Adair paused to regard the Dwarf as she spoke matter-of-factly, "They have not the edge to pierce a dragon's hide."

He scoffed, "Ha! As if you would know."

The woman chuckled, "As if."

The workshop was a noisy place, echoing as it did with the sounds of hammering, though more than a couple of the nearest apprentices had paused to watch the naked woman and Nyx laughed, "Will you put a shirt on at least you brazen strumpet, otherwise one of these poor bastards is going to lose a finger for staring at you."

"As you wish."

She pulled the garment over her head but paused suddenly. The workshop was filled with noise but despite the din, she appeared to be listening to something, her body had instinctively dropped into a partial crouch, and she was as still as stone, gripping the sword in her hand with a murderous intent that made Nyx shiver, "What is it?"

Adair looked at her, "We must go. Now!"

...

Gorsini deliberately took his plate and sat next to Dana at the long table as they had their supper. The Half-Elf did not acknowledge the man but instead stared into her uneaten bowl of stew, "I need to speak to you lass."

She ignored him, but at least she did not simply get up and leave so he continued, "I did not betray you out of spite Dana but did what I thought was best so you and Magda would receive fair treatment from our captors. I reasoned they would be curious enough to talk if you two were bound but would otherwise simply attack us thinking we were some advance party of a raiding company otherwise."

The woman toyed with her food and said nothing.

The man sighed, "It was a hard decision Dana. I do not regret what I did, for you and Magda are worth far more to me than a few bruises, but I do regret that it has cost me your friendship," he sighed heavily, "I don't expect you to forgive me, but it's important to me that you know I did not simply turn on you for mere coin, or some other pettiness."

She sniffed, "If I could, then when you're healed up, I would break your fat ugly nose, again."

He laughed, "You and Magda both it seems. I have much to look forward to methinks."

She turned to him, and he saw tears in her eyes, "Not so much as all that I fear, for I will not have the opportunity it seems."

The man frowned at the look of misery and fear on the girl's face, "What has happened?"

She sniffed sadly, "The guards told me before supper, I will be gone from this place before morning. I've been bought. This is goodbye."

...

"Narissa!"

Cassie woke with the scream on her lips, shuddering in terror and dismay, tears streaming down her cheeks as she remembered the dreadful events she had witnessed.

She had stared in disbelief as Narissa dumbly reached for the heavy bag of coins so casually tossed onto the bar in front of her by the strange woman. The Dark Elf's eyes, always so vibrant and mischievous had seemed dull, her mouth hung slack and her expression was one of befuddled confusion. She nodded along to the strange woman's words, and muttered in agreement, though her voice seemed distant, flat and toneless, "Aye, t'is for the best... The best... Surely, she needs... you."

The young serving girl looked between the sparkling blue eyes of the golden-haired woman to Narissa's strangely vacant expression and cried out, "Please! Mistress! Please don't sell me. I'll be good!" Struggling desperately Cassie tried to pull her hand free of the woman's grasp, but her grip was like iron and her inhuman strength rendered the girl's efforts utterly useless.

In fear and desperation, the terrified young woman lashed out with the old broom she still held in her other hand.

The resounding "Crack!" as the gnarled wood struck the strange woman's arm sounded like a deafening peal of thunder and Shalidar's howling shriek of agony shattered windows across a quarter of the city.

The blue-eyed woman crumpled sobbing to the floor, clutching her smashed arm, and Narissa's head whipped up as she blinked away the strange fog that had mired her thoughts and clouded her mind, "What the fuck!"

From the floor, Shalidar whimpered in pain as she moved but even so she pushed herself to her knees and snarled at her companion, "Take the girl!"

The dark figure acknowledged the command with a silent nod and turned to Cassie, but with a snarl, Narissa drew the cudgel from under the bar and vaulted the counter to stand between them, "You leave her be, you red-eyed bastard!"

The creature tilted its head and stared at the woman for a moment and the metallic slither of sound as its sword was drawn grated like nails down a chalkboard.

The creature slid forward, as graceful as a snake, and just as deadly, and Narissa licked her lips as she hefted the cudgel.

Like an adder, the thing darted forward with bewildering speed as it lunged at her. Narissa batted the creature's blade aside and spinning like a dancer she landed a hard blow against its side, but the mail it wore robbed the stroke of its sting and she hissed in pain as the monster's backhanded slash sliced a shallow cut across her thigh.

The creature grinned as it saw the blood trickling down her leg and spotting the floor. Realising the advantage the armour gave him the thing pressed her, slashing at her with a series of attacks, only to reel backwards as the woman kicked him savagely in the knee, but not before he landed another cut, this time to her shoulder.

Cassie slipped her hand through the slit cut in her skirt for the knife strapped to her thigh, but before she could move forward a strong hand grabbed her arm and held her fast. The blue-eyed woman stared down at her and shook her head, "Stay here girl, there's nothing you can do, she's made her choice."

The creature attacked again and Narissa narrowly dodged the stroke and swung for its head, it ducked and accepting the blow on the mail protecting its shoulder charged in, slamming its armoured body against the woman, spilling her backwards. Swift as she was it still took her an instant to recover her balance and in that moment the thing slashed her deeply across the body. Narissa gasped in pain and as her blood flowed from the wound she swung desperately.

The Drow caught the enfeebled blow of the cudgel in a gauntleted hand and stabbed the woman in the body. Narissa fell to her knees, and it moved forward, twisting the blade cruelly causing her to give a cry of pain. The creature smirked, "Weakling."

Shalidar called, "Enough, she cannot stop you now, leave her and we shall take our prize and go."

The monster glanced at its Mistress and in that moment Narissa lifted her head and blood flowed from her lips as she grinned, "As my ma would say, "Fuck you!"

She whipped the concealed blade she had palmed around in a wicked slash, aiming for its throat, but the creature was swift and dodged backwards with desperate speed. Even so, the dagger sliced through his cheek and opened its face to the bone.

With a cry of rage and pain, the monster slammed its blade into Narissa's chest and ran her through.

The woman slumped forward and lay still.

Cassie screamed, "No! No, no, no, no," she began struggling wildly as she cried, "let me go to her, please!"

Surprisingly the woman released her grip, and the distraught girl ran to the Dark Elf's side, turning her over and cradling her head in her lap. Blood stained the floor in a spreading pool beneath her, but Narissa's eyes flickered open, and she smiled weakly as she lifted a hand to stroke Cassie's face, leaving a crimson smear on her cheek. Her voice was a weak whisper, "I'm sorry Cassie, for... everything," she chuckled, and blood seeped from her lips, "your sister will... be... pissed."

Gortmundy
Gortmundy
765 Followers
12