The Tattooed Woman Pt. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Dragon laughed, "Now you hang on for dear life!"

Cassie had never ridden a horse, she had been on a wagon once as the innkeeper took her on a rare errand to market, but it didn't matter either way as she gave a high-pitched scream of sheer terror when the Dragon's muscles bunched beneath her as it surged forward, and with wings beating like a hurricane it leapt from the cliff-face.

The scream petered out as instead of plummeting to the gravity-inspired death she anticipated the Dragon rose through the swirling snow and up into the twilight sky.

After a long moment, the Dragon spoke, "Open your eyes, Cassie."

She swallowed and by sheer force of will opened her eyes a crack, "How did you know they were shu-"

She felt the mighty form beneath her shudder as the Dragon laughed, "Oh, call it an educated guess."

Cassie looked out from the back of the Dragon and gasped in child-like wonder at the sight, "I can see the whole world!"

Ellén chuckled with glee, "Welcome to my realm, though in truth it has been such a long time that I had almost forgotten what it was like to fly!"

With a contented sigh the Dragon stretched its wings wide as it rode on gentle thermals, rising ever higher and Cassie felt herself feeling glad of the heavy coat when the icy breeze tugged at her as they glided past the sparkling snow-capped peaks and icy crags of towering mountains that no mortal had ever climbed. She giggled madly as the creature slid past a pair of eagles causing the startled avians to veer aside wildly as they discovered that despite their vanity, they were not the true rulers of the sky after all.

Banking, the Dragon and rider sailed past the sides of mountain valleys, over hidden corries and remote glens and the girl looked down at the storm giants with their hoary beards who bellowed and cheered as they clashed sword and shield in salute when the mighty winged serpent unleashed its terrible roar as it arced above them.

Cassie shook her head in wonder, "Even giants bow before you?"

Lost in the delight of flight Ellén exulted, "We are the mightiest of creatures Cassie, and like their ancestors, they rightfully make obeisance to our strength!"

"Why then does Shalidar fear my sister?"

Ellén gave a low growl, "Dragons are great and terrible things Cassie, and the years of our lives are without number, but we are mortal creatures for all that. We can be killed. But the Danu?" she shuddered, "They are spirits who have taken physical form, immortal, ageless and undying. Their cunning and wickedness are eternal, their sorcery and shapeshifting unmatched. Some say they are Gods, or perhaps the children of Gods. Against such power, even a Dragon would be wise to tread warily."

"Your mother said they created you, and you are bound to serve them."

"They created my kind perhaps, and brought the first Dragons into this world, but since then we have multiplied like any other mortal race, though slowly, for we are long-lived and," she laughed, "not typically possessed of a maternal instinct."

A thought struck the girl, "Did you say the Danu were shapeshifters?"

"Aye."

"Like you?"

The Dragon thought for a while before answering, "We can take human form at will, and that is a gift of the Danu, but we are not true shapeshifters."

"But the Danu are?"

"Oh yes, they are possessed of many wyrd powers."

"Sooo... Could a Danu turn into a Dragon then?"

"That would be a truly terrifying thing, Cassie."

"You did not answer my question."

Ellén made a disgruntled noise but would say no more.

She was about to ask again but before she had formed the words the Dragon spoke again, "Lean close to my neck and hold on!"

"What? Why... Ohhh fuuuuck!!!"

The head and neck of the great beast tilted downwards, its mighty wings folded and like a rock, it began to fall.

Cassie's scream of mind-numbing fear was long, loud and shrill as the Dragon plummeted towards the earth like a falling meteor, gaining speed until the air whipped past them, as it hurtled towards the ground far below.

The girl stared in goggle-eyed terror as the hills and trees rushed upward towards her. She would have squeezed her eyes shut if she were not all but frozen in panic.

At the last moment, the great wings of the Dragon unfurled and the sound they made as they caught the air was like a deafening clap of thunder. Cassie felt her stomach roiling as they pulled out from the tremendous dive to hurtle along the valley floor, shrieking past startled cows and sheep, trees blurring past on either side as they followed the river. Ellén banked slightly and laughed as her wingtip scythed through the frigid water like the fin of a shark, "Still with me Cassie?"

"You're evil!"

"I'm a Dragon!"

"I think I wet myself...."

Ellén only laughed in reply but after a few minutes more she slowed and with a beating of wings that scattered a flock of sheep in all directions she landed gently upon the soft grass of a tall hill. With a sigh, she lowered her wing, "Here we are, off you get."

"What?"

"Stretch your legs girl, it's... a long way back after all."

Cassie wasn't sure if she were glad or no to be back on Terra firma. The flight had been terrifying, but also exhilarating beyond words. After taking a moment to gather her thoughts she peered about. They appeared to be high up in a wooded valley overlooking...

"Here, there are lights down there."

"Aye, I know."

"Where are we?"

"The Hill of Uisneach. It is an ancient place, a site of great power, where long ago my kind would sometimes speak with the druids. The village below is Cill Anna and the people there still follow the old ways. They are good folk, who look after the barrows that lie about these hills. You might do well there."

Cassie looked up at the Dragon, "Why are you telling me this?"

Ellén looked away, "There are coins and such treasures as I could snatch up in haste from my jewellery box in the pockets of yon coat Cassie. Wealth enough I think for you to live long and well if that is what you desire."

"What? Why?"

"Because friends do not keep each other prisoner... and I have no desire to be your jailor."

"But... What of your mother, my sister..."

Ellén gave a wry chuckle, "I know of nothing in this world or the next that could stop Adair from finding you, or insane enough to make the effort to bar her way if she sets her will to the task. As for my mother? She too has sorcery enough to seek you out eventually, but that would take some time, and I think I can dissuade her. This place is far from the war that is coming. You will be safe here."

Pulling a handful of gold coins and sparkling gems from her pocket the girl shook her head and murmured, "A Dragon's hoard..."

Ellén made a dismissive sound, "Such as it is I suppose."

"What will you do?"

The Dragon looked down at the girl, "I will fly over yon hill and hunt me a sheep. After a while, I will return and if I find you gone, I will fly home to face the music."

"Shalidar will be vexed."

"Oh, you have no idea. But what can she do? The deed will be done, and as the Dark Elves say, "It is easier to beg forgiveness afterwards than seek permission beforehand", but they have always been a duplicitous bunch."

Cassie startled herself by giggling. After a moment she shook her head almost in disbelief as she heard herself say, "Best take me back with you then."

The blue eyes seemed to glow brightly, "But, why?"

"Because you gave me the only thing I ever wanted and never had; a choice."

"That's it?"

"That's it," she grinned impishly, "though you did mention you would make me a dress."

The Dragon snorted and Cassie almost giggled as she saw its tail flicking from side to side like that of some gigantic cat, "I am absolutely telling my mother that this was all your fault."

"Well in that case I'm keeping the hoard."

...

Shalidar was waiting for them upon their return and Cassie swallowed nervously as she regarded the tall silent figure standing in the mouth of the tunnel, ominously framed by the eerie light of the witchlamps that burned behind her.

Her golden fair hair flicked about her as though possessed of its own life and her brilliant blue eyes did not glow, they burned. Long black talons had emerged from her fingertips and the air about her shimmered as if her rage was a palpable thing.

The woman looked incensed.

Ellén tried to speak but the older woman cut her off with a curt command, "Return to your Human form and dress yourself, then go to your chambers and await my pleasure. I shall be along presently, and we shall discuss your errant behaviour. After I have dealt with... this."

Cassie tried not to watch as Ellén's body shifted and blurred as she turned back into the blushing young blonde woman she was familiar with. Shamefaced Ellén grabbed at the dress she had left behind and pulled it up and over her shoulders.

All the while Shalidar's eyes bored into hers and her razor-sharp talons drummed lightly against her thigh as she waited. Cassie licked her lips and tried to speak, "Look, it isn't Ellén's fault. I was... angry with you and took to sulking in my room. She was only trying to cheer me up."

"Be quiet."

Ellén attempted to intercede, "This is my doing, it's not her faul-"

Shalidar's voice was cold, "Hold your tongue and do as I say, or it will go worse for both of you, I promise."

"But..."

The older woman spun and all but snarled, "Another word and I shall toss this little imp from the cliff without a second thought and be done with her! Now go!"

Cassie stood quietly as she fearfully watched Ellén slink away like a chastened urchin.

After she was out of sight Shalidar turned back to her and the young woman made to stammer her excuses, "It's really all my..."

Shalidar chuckled, "Oh be still girl, I'm not that angry. My reptilian blood runs cold after all, and I am not given to tantrums."

"But why did..."

"My daughter is wilful, and your little excursion was not without risk. She deserves a little fear in payment for what she inflicted upon me when I found you both gone."

The older Dragon looked out from the ledge and breathed deeply of the cold night air, "It really is a lovely view is it not?"

"If you can fly it is, for me it's a bit terrifying, to be honest."

The Dragon chuckled, "I'm sure my daughter took you away filled with noble intent of offering you your freedom, and I can smell the gold in your pockets," she sighed, "such a sentimental child, I should be ashamed of her. Tell me, why did you come back?"

Cassie looked at her feet and muttered, "She's lonely, and I... I felt sorry for her."

Shalidar's laughter was a rich, earthy sound and she shook her head incredulously, "A mortal child feels sorry for a Dragon. Truly the world is spinning on its axis, and we enter strange times."

The Dragon turned her gaze back to the girl, her eyes gleamed in the darkness and Cassie felt like squirming under the intensity of the woman's stare.

After an eternity Shalidar nodded, as if she had found what she was looking for, "You'll do."

"What?"

"I have need of you Cassie, I have a task in mind for you. Swear to me, upon your honour and your immortal spirit that you will do this thing for me and in return, I swear that I will do all that I can to see you safely home and returned to your sister's side by week's end."

Cassie's eyes narrowed, "What is it you want of me?"

"T'is simple enough. I intend to speak with your sister and state my terms for your release. If reason prevails then well and good, however, if it goes ill, she may attack me and should that happen well..." she shrugged, "that would be most unfortunate... for me."

Shalidar took Cassie's hands in her own and looked back out over the precipice, "If Adair kills me then it is a certainty that Ellén will seek vengeance. I am a Dragon, but I am also a mother, and I would see the world burn before I saw her hurt."

Cassie looked up into those strange blue eyes, "You think I can protect her somehow?"

"You must swear to me that should it come to pass that Ellén and Adair are going to come to blows you will prevent them."

"What?"

"Yes. Even if it requires you placing yourself bodily between them to prevent a conflict then that is what you must do. Swear to do this and I will see you home."

Cassie stood flabbergasted for a moment before she could answer, "Have you taken leave of your senses?! A Dragon and a God are to set upon each other, and I am to stop them? I'm just a girl! What happens when they laugh at me and commence to bloody violence anyway? Do I scold them? Or perhaps I should spank them and send them to bed without supper?"

"I don't care what you do. You must swear to make the attempt, or you will spend the rest of your days locked in my keep."

"What makes you think I won't just lie."

"Because I am a Dragon. I could teach a Dark Elf the art of deception. I will know if you are lying, and besides," she smiled gently, "you have an honest heart Cassie, and as much as a creature like me is capable of such, I trust you, or at least your given word. Now, do you swear?"

"I still think you're insane."

"I'm beginning to suspect you may be right, but nonetheless, do you swear?"

Shaking her head incredulously Cassie replied, "Fine! I swear it."

"Then, so be it."

The young human found that she was trembling, whether from cold or fear she was not sure, "I really thought you were going to throw me off the cliff..."

Shalidar turned back to her and smiled brilliantly, "Oh, trust me, if I thought my problems could be so easily dismissed, I would have murdered you and quietly disposed of the body long since."

"Lucky me I guess."

"Indeed," the woman chuckled as she brushed her long taloned fingers gently through the girl's hair, "now off with you, go have your supper, I'm certain Ellén will be climbing the walls with worry."

...

When Cassie woke up this time it was not with a scream or a start, but with one eye blearily opening and then the other. Her head felt more than a little woolly and it took a couple of efforts to blow the loose strands of her wild, unkempt hair away from her face. The soft bed was incredibly cosy and she felt herself unconsciously snuggling back against the warm body laying alongside her. At her movement, Ellén yawned, and her arm carelessly draped over the younger woman's shoulder.

Cassie's eyes snapped open as awareness finally crashed down upon her.

Realising she was naked she gave a muffled scream and clutched at the sheets as she rolled over to stare at the blonde lying next to her. Ellén opened her blue eyes and smiled lazily, looking for all the world like a fox that had finally gotten loose in the henhouse, or a cat that had stolen a whole jug of cream. She sighed happily and the sparkle in her eyes was more than just a little mischievous, "Morning sleepyhead."

Cassie swallowed nervously, "I'm naked."

Blue eyes sparkled as she traced a finger down along the young woman's neck and Cassie shivered at her light tough. Her voice was low and filled with mirth, "So I noticed."

"But I mean... Did I, er... did we?"

Ellén chuckled lasciviously, "Oh yes, you were very enthusiastic. It was wonderful!"

Cassie blushed beetroot red and with an embarrassed groan she buried her face in her pillow, "Oh dear Gods..."

The sound of Ellén's giggling made her look up into the woman's face as she burst out laughing, "I'm jesting Cassie! Nothing happened. Despite the significant temptation, I took no advantage, I promise."

"Wha..."

Ellén grinned, "You were drunk. You imbibed far too much of that Dwarven mead at supper last night and got completely "hammered", as the Dwarves say. After you passed out, I carried you back here and put you to bed."

"But why am I naked?"

"Because you spilt most of your tankard of mead, and mine I might add, all over yourself while you were atop a table teaching me to dance a jig. Your clothes were soaked," the woman laughed at the memory, "I must say you make a very cute drunkard Cassie, and I never knew you could sing so well."

"Sing?"

"Oh yes."

Cassie groaned again.

Ellén gestured towards herself with an impish flourish, "I take it you will note that while you may be all brazen and bare, I, being a well-brought-up young maiden, am still properly attired in my nightgown."

"But um, why are you in bed with me?"

"Oh, clearly my intentions were thoroughly dishonourable, and I hoped to have my wicked way with you while you were inebriated."

"What?!"

Ellén propped herself up on her elbow and shrugged happily, "Actually, I spent most of the night in yon armchair by the fire, but you were having a bad dream I think and cried out, so I lay alongside you. I must have fallen asleep myself after you settled. Though I admit I did cast a spell on you."

"A spell? What spell?"

"Oh, just a small one, a healing cantrip of sorts, to remove the worst effects of the hangover I suspected you would awaken to. That's all, I promise, did it work?"

Cassie considered, "My head feels... strange, but I don't feel ill or anything."

Ellén gave the girl a mischievous grin as she threw back the blankets with a flourish, "Good, now quickly, you must bathe and dress for we are to be off after we have breakfasted."

Cassie shrieked as she grabbed in vain at the sheets, "Wait, wha... Off where?"

"We go to Emain, and for once my mother has decreed that I am to leave the halls of Carrowkeel and accompany you as part of your escort."

"Escort? What escort?"

The blonde woman frowned, and her mood visibly darkened, "Yes, you are to be guarded by a company of..."

"Drow!"

"Yes, they insisted you be shackled but my mother says that as long as you give your parole and promise no mischief, she will forgo such restraints. Please say you'll behave."

"I'm promising nothing to those bastards!"

Ellén sighed.

...

It had been a strange few days thought Ashunara as she cast her gaze surreptitiously about the common room of the Raven's Nest. Her Company had gathered, and preparations were well in hand for the coming campaign. Now she sat in the inn, with a heavy cloak wrapped about her, nursing a tankard of ale, as she watched the tattooed woman. Outside a heavy rain fell, and the wind whistled as the storm rattled at the windows and doors. It was a miserable night, but even so, she thought the atmosphere out there could hardly be any colder than the one to be found inside.

Adair had sat in a chair in a darkened corner of the chamber for days, unmoving, she barely spoke, nor did she seem to sleep, eat or even drink, and her eyes gleamed in the darkness as they reflected the light of the witchlamps. She just sat there, staring at the door.

One might have mistaken her inactivity for the dream-like fugue she had retreated into when Ashunara had first come upon her, but the Captain saw that this was different. This was no unfocused daze, oh no, not in the least. The woman was ... waiting, waiting with the limitless inhuman patience of some predatory creature, and the aura of barely contained violence and hunger that she gave off was almost palpable.

Narissa had tried to comfort her with gentle words, but while she had spared the girl a small smile of acknowledgement, the food placed before her had remained ignored as she returned to her ... vigil.

Nyx slid into the chair next to the Captain and sipped from the flask she was holding. Her lips pursed as her eyes followed Ashunara's gaze and lingered on the dark presence lurking in the corner of the room, "If those silly bastards have hurt the girl I don't fancy their chances. She's going to go fucking baresark."

Ashunara nodded slowly, "Maybe I should try and talk to h-"

Without warning, Adair stood and her burning gaze flicked over the Captain, "They're here."