The Third of July

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a long walk back to the cabin, they made it there just before darkness settled in for the night. Thank goodness for the long days of summer. They had to walk fast to make it. They talked little as they moved silently down the path. William was sure the lady left the falls in a joyful mood and he made sure Carolina knew that.

Carolina was beginning to realize that she might soon be left alone if Sarah turned out to be his wife. She was thinking about that as they moved. Things had been OK before he arrived, and she would survive if she was left alone again. She understood how much a companion added to her life now.

Sarah returned to her friend's hotel for the evening. She was full of hope and the happiest she had been for a long time. She could read the moods of that man at the falls, he was the one that she had felt, for all those years.

"What could she say to her friend?" she wondered. Rick had comforted her the day Joel went missing, he seemed to be interested in her as more than a friend. Many times he had hinted broadly that he would like to move their relationship to a different level, to be more intimate.

Sarah had managed to keep that from happening, as long as she felt Joel's spirit communicating it could never happen. Yet she was beginning to wonder what it might be like to be with Rick. She would never betray her love for Joel as long as she still felt him nearby. The one thing she could not understand was how could that man be the same person who went over the falls. The changes were too great to justify that thought.

William was concerned as they went to bed that evening; He could feel the confusion in her thinking and it made him worry. Sarah was asleep by then, she woke with a start, worrying about the shy stranger and wondering what his and Carolina's relationship really was. William and Sarah fell asleep at around midnight as they both worried and wondered about the other.

Morning came early for William and Carolina They had to catch up on their chores before company came. It had been years since there were any visitors at the cabin, it had to be just right.

Sarah arrived at the bridge about noon as they had agreed. There was no one to be seen. She walked out onto the bridge and looked at the fast flowing water, she shuddered thinking about floating down from the falls. Why; it had to be fifteen miles to the falls from here. She turned toward her car and was startled to see Carolina stand at the side of the creek.

"That is a a bit higher than normal today, you should see what the rains can do to it" They hugged then grabbed a few things from the car and began the short hike to the cabin.

The scenery was lush and laden with wild flowers as they moved. One patch of orange day lilies seemed to go on forever. The color variations were exquisite; from the very darkest, almost brown in color, to almost white. There were striped and variegated flowers. Sarah stopped in awe.

It had been daylight for hours. But when the sun began to show over the mountain to the east the temperature began to climb rapidly.

When they arrived at the cabin, Sarah was beginning to perspire heavily. After sitting on the porch with a glass of spring water she began to cool. It was then that she began to see all of the flowering bushes and plantings of wild flowers floating on the sea of bright green moss that made the yard. She stared in amazement at it all.

There was a nearly inaudible call from house and lunch was served. William had prepared soup, sandwich makings and an assortment of fruit. It was arranged on the table so everyone could reach what they wanted. Of course there was more of that cold, delicious, sweet mountain spring water.

Sarah was asked to tell the story of Joel and their life together. William was most interested in the story. There were no interruptions and the story was soon finished, Sarah had a difficult time when it came to the part about Joel drowning and never finding the body.

William commented that he thought he might have read a story in a book that sounded a bit like that. He could not remember the title or many of the details. The story was very familiar though.

Carolina thought it might be nice to dip in the swimming hole since the temperature was close to a hundred degrees. Sarah didn't have a swimsuit, it was suggested that she go in wearing her shorts and tea shirt.

At the hole Carolina just jumped in feet first, soon to be followed by William. He took off his shirt and just jumped in in his pants.

Sarah was in the midst of untying her shoes when she gasped, then she was heard to say "Oh! ...Oh my!" Soon she was bent double sobbing in hysterical, wracking cries.

Carolina was the first to make it to her side. William was a few seconds behind. She sobbed inconsolably for a long time, then she pulled her shirt up a few inches to show a tiny tattoo. There was a tiny heart on her side just above the waistline.

"She has a birthmark just like mine!" William called out. Carolina had seen his many times before since the day she found him. All she could say was "OH! Oh my!" Knowing nothing about tattoos she wondered "How could this be?"

Sarah had almost caught her breath when she gasped, "That's Joel!" The words were barely a whisper.

After returning to the cabin Carolina told her tale of William. She told of the strange noises she heard, how he had stopped breathing, the trip back to the cabin and William's rehabilitation over the years. "We are like brother and sister" she explained at the end.

It was soon dark as the discussions subsided. Everyone was hungry. We added some more vegetables to the soup and put it on to boil. While it cooked they cut more bread, meat and cheese. They added many types of fresh fruit to make it a meal.

Carolina was quiet through out the meal, the others said little. Occasionally there was a short question and a shorter answer. William made up bedrolls as the ladies cleaned up from the evening meal. Softly Carolina began to explain the relationship between her and William. At one point she felt she knew what Sarah's biggest worry was, "Sarah, You need to understand something about me. I have never experienced a man, I'm a virgin. We truly lived as brother and sister. We slept in the same bed each night, only because none of the others could hold us. It started the second night, I needed to listen for problems...it just continued from there."

Sarah replied and hugged her, "I can read that every word you just told me is true."

When chores were through they met at the table again. "Sarah, it is too late to let you leave" We can all sleep on the porch tonight and in the morning we will decide what happens next."

William woke first the next morning to find himself in a tight embrace between two women. He smiled.

All three did chores the next morning. They worked as a team to prepare breakfast. After clean up they sat down to talk.

"I'm a bit overwhelmed by all that has happened. I've felt something for years" he admitted. I don't remember much about my previous life: mostly that I always felt so loved and that I hated the work I did. I know that is not much to go on from here. We need to take the time to learn about each other again." he addressed this to Sarah. "I am grateful to you and can never do enough for all the things you you have done for me." he addressed Carolina. "I would love it if we could all be together here as one big family. Those are the first and most important things on my mind. Oh! Since I , maybe, died and was brought back to life I would like to keep the name we used for the last 5 years. I want to be William. I am comfortable with that."

Sarah then began; "I never did believe you were gone, on that first day I was afraid... I, I,... I was afraid because I could not feel your presence. Late in the afternoon the next day I began to feel something again. The feeling was very faint, I never doubted your love again. Having said that, we need to contact others to let them know what has occurred. "

Sarah continued "Carolina, I can never tell you how much I love you for saving his life. I pray it won't be necessary but, if I have to I would continue to live. To live without the man I love has who has survived all of this.

Carolina spoke last. "I knew from the beginning that you loved someone else. In your sleep you would whisper of your unending love. As it looks, I will be the last of my kin to live on this land. I do not like the thought of dying alone, of not being comforted as I slip away, or having no one to continue in this wonderful setting. We need to find a way to keep all of you close, as family.

We need to go into town and find someone to tell this news to."

Sarah smiled. "We don't need to run into town, I have a phone in the car that we can use to bring them here. They will want to see the places we are talking about. AND, I'm beginning to like it here."

"Do you mean like one of those bag phones Mom and Dad had on their boat" he questioned.

Sarah looked at me with questioning eyes, "Yes, but a lot smaller now. How and when did you remember that?"

William just shrugged.

Carolina had no idea what they were talking about.

At the car Sarah pulled out the cell phone. The others just gawked.

Dialing 911 she asked to speak to the State Patrol, gave them directions to the cabin and asked if they could call the park rangers too.

The first to arrive was an ambulance from town, they had a doctor from the local hospital with them. A short while later three police arrived, then two forest rangers. All totaled nine people showed up.

The police wanted to arrest Carolina for kidnapping until William stepped out onto the porch and aimed the hunting rifle at them and ordered them to "throw down their guns"

"It was all so dramatic" Sarah would later tell the family as she giggled.

Sarah also called his parents to tell them the news. "I don't want you to hear this on the news she started out saying. I have found Joel!" She said to his mother.

She heard a scream on the other end and an angry voice came on the phone. "Who is this and what did you say to frighten her like this?"

Patiently she began again. " This is Sarah... Yes that Sarah! Sit down... Did you sit?... Good... I've found Joel!

He has that tattoo you raved so much about...Yes the one you hate so much! You need to get Mom looked at by a doctor after she fainted and all of you need to get a good nights sleep. Pack the children. I will call you in the morning to give you directions. OK? ...Yes, you can bring her too." She put the phone down and smiled. "Mom and Dad are still the same."

William smiled. More memories were returning.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the villain was tying up Sweet Sue... excuse me, I always wanted to use that line...

Meanwhile back at the cabin:

The questions began: Sarah pulled out her copy of the report to give the police some background on the case, then Carolina began to tell her story. Things were falling into place to explain the disappearance and the finding of one Mr. Joel Fisher. The park ranger was following his reports and everything fit like a glove. "We sent searchers all the way down the creek to the river. There was a note about the swimming hole having some disturbed ground in the stream bed. We never found a trail leading away so we figured it was some local kids playing and having fun on a hot day. The only disturbed ground lead to the road and back."

Someone questioned the truth about her carrying him at about 400 pounds. She got fire in her eyes and asked the guy "How much you way?"

"Bout three fifty"

Carolina picked him up so fast that she was halfway across the yard before he was aware of it. She ran him to the hog pen and asked if he wanted to go visiting. He shook his head to indicate he didn't wish that , so she ran him back and dropped him very unceremoniously on the bottom step to the porch. She stood back and was not even winded. "Come back for a year and I can get you in the same shape he's in" She motioned toward William. Then she giggled.

When all the dust settled the doctor asked if he could examine William. William shrugged and said "Sure." He did an entire physical and drew some blood for tests. William remembered some of the things he did, from doctors before him.

"CBC and A1c test?" he asked. He was remembering more still. The doctor nodded and mumbled..."and a lot more."

After getting his mouth swabbed he asked "DNA test?" The doctor nodded again to that.

The excitement slowly died down and everyone went back to their everyday lives. Everyone except one forest ranger. William slowly headed in the direction of David Fisher, the ranger, and Carolina. She motioned for him to continue. "William this is David. David meet William." Carolina giggled every so often, so did David.

William made his excuses and walked away. When he got to Sarah they both spoke at the same time, "They are sweet on each other." The laughter drifted all the way over to the pair, who soon returned to the porch.

David asked William, "You are the closest family she has. May I come visit from time to time? "

"If she wishes to see you, I think it would be fine."

Everyone smiled, especially Carolina.

It was nearing dark and David needed to get back. She, and a dozen dogs, walked him to his truck. She reached for his hand as they neared the edge of the yard. They walked like that until they were out of sight, and presumably all the way to the truck.

The next morning Sarah drove to the hotel where she had stayed outside the park. Rich was furious about her disappearing. He began to berate her over it. He did not notice as Carolina and William closed in behind him. Carolina spoke in a firm, low soft voice, "You never speak to a lady like that, and you have no claim on her."

He turned toward Carolina to correct her about his claim; when a hand reached over his shoulder and lifted him off the ground. He was spun quickly around to face a mountain of a man standing beside an equally large woman. After the vision sunk in he pissed himself and his knees buckled. He was still upright because of the hand holding him that way. The huge man was staring into his eyes trying to figure where he had seen the little mouse of a man before. Williams eyes began to turn red, his face soon had a look that would have sent the devil away in fear. Carolina had never heard the noise that soon erupted from William's mouth. The words would have made a drunken sailor blush in shame.

William picked the man up and threw him on top of a row of roses. The roar began to slow down to a crawl. The last words he shouted were "YOU'RE THE SON OF A BITCH THAT PUSHED ME INTO THE FALLS THAT DAY!' He turned around to walk away, Carolina was dazed by the words and actions she had just witnessed. She did, however, have the presence of mind to make sure Rick went nowhere.

Sarah was on the phone to the police who arrived very quickly and took him into custody.

Swearing he had just seen the devil in person, Rick confessed and pleaded to be placed somewhere safe. After he was taken away everyone searched for hours and didn't find William anywhere. Finally in tears Sarah returned to her car; where she found him sleeping like a little baby in the back seat. Her sobbing woke him. He sat up with a confused, dazed look on his face. He softly stroked her arm and whispered "What happened?" He never did recall his actions and lived the rest of his life as a very gentle man who was especially loved by children and animals. They never had any reason to fear him.

When the doctor checked him, his blood pressure was barely readable because it was still off the top of the instruments, but it was coming back down slowly.

Later Rick was found guilty because of his own admission and sentenced to ten to fifteen in the state prison. He died five years later, a lonely and broken man. The other residents in his new home, the state prison, didn't take kindly to his actions and made his life so tough that he hung himself late one evening. Some said the devil got his due.

A few years later the hotel began to look rundown, the taxes were not paid for a while and it went up for auction. The state Parks bought the land for a song, tore the hotel down and added the three hundred and forty six acres to their holdings. They eventually allowed a big chain to build a hotel on it. The land rent on the five acres they used more than covered the taxes on the commercially zoned property.

It was a few days later that the long, gray limo pulled slowly down the road and stopped behind Sarah's car. A path had been worn into the trail, they followed it. As they approached the cabin the children were giddy about finally meeting Daddy again. They were disappointed to just see their Mother and another woman sitting with a huge man, he had to be the other woman's husband.

Lily pulled the leash right out of Emanual's hand and ran like a shot right to the man. She leaped right into his lap from about six feet away. There was no mistaking her long lost friend. The little white dog was still sniffing him and crying on his lap as she danced for joy.

"Hi Lily!" was the response. The dog danced all over his lap, jumped up and down and bathed his face in kisses. Both children had stopped to stare.

Mary was the first to take off at a full run, soon followed by Emanuel. Each stopped a few feet back, "Daddy? Is that really you?" and another hundred other questions flew at him like machine gun fire.

His lopsided smile was about the only thing that still looked the same, as soon as he smiled they rushed forward to surround him. How he fit the two children and the little, white dancing dog on his lap was anyone's guess. It took a while before things calmed down. Soon he was answering everyone's questions with a little help from the ladies.

The processions of the vehicles going up the road, coming back down and heading out of town was soon noticed by the townsfolk. Rumors began to spread through the town; there was a murder on the mountain, the Mafia had hidden up there, Bigfoot had been sighted and then caught, someone had re-opened the coal mine and found silver or gold (depending on the teller) The rumors soon reached the weekly newspaper and a reporter was sent to get the story. Well, it was actually the owner of the paper, there were no other reporters. He came back a few days later, with the story. The story was copied and sent out over the news-wires. There was a national award for small town reporting the next year.

Soon all the folks in town were waving and smiling at each of the cars. When William and Sarah decided to accept Carolina's offer to settle down in the hills; Mom and Dad found a house for sale and moved to town. They were warmly welcomed, even if they were Yankees.

The doctor ran DNA tests on Mom, Dad and both children just to be sure. The decision was there was a ninety nine point eight percent chance they all were related.

Carolina had no idea just how much land she owned. All she knew was she could walk for a long time before she needed to turn around.

As the deeds were investigated it was soon discovered the she only owned five thousand acres of the original fifty five thousand that were in the first deed. Over the years the family had sold parts off as they needed money. Other parts disappeared by adverse possession. She was going to look into reversing the legal decisions that took her land from her. She and her family had been paying all assessed taxes over the years, so the requirement that the persons claiming the land must pay the taxes was not met. Even if they did pay them. Years later the courts decided that the owners must pay a fair price for the land, at the time they came into possession, plus interest. If they refused the land returned to Carolina for her disposal. Only one person thought they could win on that. His possessions were hauled away and he was forcibly evicted. No one missed him. Carolina donated the funds collected to charities. Almost everyone won on that deal.