The Three R's Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jinx seemed to have finished his work on Daisy's shoulder. She was now sporting three intertwined letter R's in green, red, and purple. Jinx covered up the results with cling film to stop any risk of infection.

"Thanks," the girl said. "I'll let you get back to your meeting." She took herself off to a couch and sat down, curling her legs up under her, and started rummaging in her bag.

"Are you sure you'll find a home for all these?" Norm looked at the pile of cards.

"Oh, yes. You can tell Danny they'll be put to good use. Here, let me show you." Gerry reached for his own case and took out a thick file of documents. "These guys need to know what's going on now, as well."

Jack sat watching as Gerry laid out the documents on the table. Daisy was sitting on the far side of the room, listening to something on her iPhone. She didn't seem to be taking any interest in proceedings, her earphones blotting out what was going on around her.

"Now this," Gerry began, "is something that will hit them where it hurts. This," he pulled out a large sheet of paper and unfolded it, "is the ExCel Centre. It used to be an exhibition and conference venue. It's been re-purposed by these guys." He handed over a promotional leaflet, headed 'Your Career in the Detention Service'. "They are holding around 4000 detainees, mainly disorder offenders, sponsorship absconders, repeat curfew breakers, fairly low grade stuff like that."

Norm sat quietly. As a sponsorship absconder, he didn't like being thought of as "low grade" although maybe if you include porn smuggling and ident card forgery, perhaps he counted for a bit more these days.

"It's not a high security set up. You can't just walk in and out but there's not much more than a chain link fence between the inmates and the outside world. There's rumoured to be thirty of these around the country which would mean there's a hundred and twenty thousand 'low grade' inmates and nobody knows about them. They're run by the MCF but there's no real accountability. We got this video." Gerry started a film on the TV screen at the front of the room. "See, you'll know the green epaulettes of District Patrol officers, the red epaulettes of the Public Order group, the yellow of Identity Inspection. These delightful ladies wear black epaulettes for Detention and Rehabilitation officers."

Jack watched the video unfold. It looked like it had been shot on a mobile phone that had been propped up in one corner of a canteen.

"They're better at the detention bit than the rehabilitation. I reckon rehabilitation means kicking the shit out of you until you agree with them, but I'm no expert on offender management so what do I know?"

There were about a dozen detainees in the shot, two MCF officers in uniform white shirts with black ties and epaulettes and black skirts were standing either side of the door. Another was walking around between the tables swinging a riding crop at anyone that seemed to be showing an interest in anything other than the table in front of them. She looked like she was enjoying herself. The detainees didn't.

"Anyway, the idea is to break out as many as we can. A couple of hundred would be good. Enough so there will be so much fuss about recapturing them that they won't be able to hush it up. Get it all over the press and TV and the government is going to have to start explaining why they are keeping so many people locked up. We'll leave 'ECR' stuff at the scene just to keep the red flaps on their toes."

"What makes you think the press will be interested?"

Gerry pulled out another sheet and tossed it onto the table. "Because they'll be covering this at the same time Docklands will be chock-full of blue lights and sirens hunting our runaways."

The sheet was headed up "Press Release, Government Announces Major Investment In Financial Services Sector." It went on to explain how New Order was establishing a 'Centre for Banking Excellence' on Canary Wharf, with the remit of providing training for the women that would make up the ever growing proportion of decision-making staff within the financial sector. It looked like it was going to be a big deal, with representatives from the Treasury, Department of Education & Skills, and Department for Work & Enterprise as well as the Cabinet Office. Jack could see how Gerry might think there would be plenty of media on hand to cover it.

"So, there will be a group of four that will cut the perimeter wire and break open the doors to the back of the canteen while they're at lunch. There's usually only a couple of guards on during meal times. It's all run a bit casually if you ask me. We'll get word inside so they're ready when the doors are sprung. I reckon half the canteen will be out before the guards wake up to what's happening. The deal is we're going to give each of the guys that makes it out a new ID card. That's where our this bundle of cards comes in. What they do with them will be down to them." Norm smiled. He wasn't sure if Danny knew what was being planned for the forged ident cards but he guessed he didn't care.

"Now," Gerry said turning to Norm, "I'd like you to hang on to your bag until Thursday. Then you can bring it over to an address in Docklands that I'll let you have. I'd rather not have these hanging around for a couple of days and you're much less likely to attract attention at the moment. I assume you don't have to be back in Ireland right away."

Norm put his case up on the table. "Suppose I just left these here and pissed off?"

"Then I think you'd make me unhappy, and that will make Danny unhappy and shortly after that I think you'll be unhappy too. So be a good bloke and oblige me, will you." The menace in Gerry's voice was clear. Norm found it easy to back down.

"Fair enough. I wouldn't want you to be unhappy."

Chapter 19: Raid

Norm was optimistic that he'd be able to make the afternoon flight to Dublin. He aimed to drop off the ident cards at Docklands first thing, then head round to Victoria to pick up the train to Gatwick.

He'd be glad to get back to Ireland. He hadn't enjoyed returning to the world of New Order and he'd enjoyed the experience of operating under cover even less. The fact that Gerry's group didn't seem that well organised didn't give him a lot of confidence but at least it didn't look like they weren't planning anything violent.

The address Gerry had given him was close to the northern end of Mudchute Park. It was a part of London he knew. He'd grown up in Stratford. He felt uneasy about the cards he was carrying but at least he knew the ground, he told himself. He kept looking for any MCF presence but he guessed that most of them would be on security detail over at Canary Wharf. He managed to find the address without a problem.

Jack was already there with Gerry and three others.

"Can I give you these now?" Norm asked, handing over the ident cards.

Gerry took them and looked them over. "Why not. I'll let Danny know how helpful you've been. These look pretty good."

"I'll tell Danny. Hopefully the MCF will agree."

"Well, in twenty minutes or so there will be a couple of hundred blokes hoping the same thing." Jack stuffed the cards in his back pack. He and the others and headed out. Gerry stayed. He looked at his watch. "We'll see how young Jack gets on with this."

"Has he not done much of this sort of thing?"

"About as much as you, I would think. And you're as Irish as my ma's Yorkshire pudding."

"Does that worry you?"

"Nah. I'm guessing you've jumped from a sponsorship here and made the crossing. If you've got the nerve to come back, fair play to you. Jack's proving something to himself. He's just not sure what yet."

"Well, if you're happy, I'm going to head off. Irish or not, I'm on a flight to Dublin later and I'd hate to miss it."

"Well, I'm not sure I'd be trying that today. I'm going to hang on here for a while and see how the break works out." He looked at his watch again. "They'll have clipped the fence now and then broken through the back wall of the canteen. Our friends on the inside will be making their way out. There's a boat waiting in the Gallions Point Marina that will get them across to the south of the river and then they'll be on their own."

"Do you know what. I think I'm about changing my travel plans. Life's going to hectic everywhere for a bit with that lot running around."

"You could be wise."

There was a crash from the front door as Jack half fell through it. "Gerry," he called, "get the fuck out of here!"

He was obviously distressed. He dumped the back pack with its load of ident cards on the table. Gerry tried to calm him. "What happened?"

"I don't know. We got about twenty out, I reckon, but then a whole bunch of MCF turned up, body protectors, riot shields, helmets, dogs, the whole bit. Terry took a tasering and Greg got clubbed down. I didn't see what happened to Jim."

"Do you think you were followed back?"

Jack shook his head. "I don't know, I don't think so, but once those girls start in on Terry and Greg I wouldn't rate their ability to keep a secret. So we're not safe here."

"They know fuck all about the organisation apart from knowing about this place." Gerry looked around at the room, apparently thinking. He came to a conclusion quickly. "Someone's blown the whistle on this but I'm fucked if I know who. Inky Skin and Mudchute will stay off limits until we work out if they are secure or not. This place too, obviously. Our best bet now is to split up. Good luck you two." He grabbed the bag of cards and headed for the door without looking back to Jack and Norm.

"Thanks a bunch," said Norm as Gerry disappeared out into the back yard of the house. Norm looked at Jack. He was obviously scared and without the least idea where to go. At least Norm had the benefit of knowing the area. "Come on," he said, "I know where we can hide out for a while at least."

Jack looked relieved. He was only too happy to follow him.

They found their way to the back of an old factory building. It was disused now and there were store rooms set around a courtyard. Norm broke open a rotting wooden door and got them inside. The two men had found somewhere for a while at least They waited until dusk. The police activity seemed to have died down. They had seen the last lot of blue flashing lights and heard the last sirens over an hour ago.

"Right let's go," said Norm, setting off at a trot, Jack followed, through a gap between the two buildings. A dark brick lined passage led to a flight of steps. Both of them were sweating, half from the fright and half from the running. The passage gave out onto a track beside a canal.

"Come on," Norm said, "this will get us out of the area. I'm pretty sure those MCF red flaps won't know about this. It's been disused for years."

"You know London pretty well for an Irishman."

"We're a well travelled lot. I used to go to the school up there," he nodded towards a tall building just behind them. "Came down here when I wanted a smoke."

The two of them dropped their pace to a walk. The canal towpath was uneven, bricks had fallen down from the walls of buildings and dumped supermarket trolleys and old bicycles got in their way. As they got further from the scene the evening light began to fade and street lamps flickered on in the roads that crossed the canal. Between the bridges it was pretty dark and both Jack and Norm had to pick their way carefully. They walked for about two hours, going as briskly as the ground would let them. Norm reckoned they had gone about five miles from Mudchute.

"Where are we going?" Jack asked. He was feeling safer. The shock of the failure of the ExCel Centre raid was giving way to anger at Gerry abandoning them.

"Fucked if I know. Away from Mudchute is about all I have in mind at the moment. We can keep following this north as far as we like. It goes all the way to Hertford. I'm pretty sure we won't see any curfew patrols down here along the towpath but I'm not sure I've got much of an idea apart from that. The friends I've got are all to the south of London. How about you? Assuming you can trust anybody after that last fuck up."

"Apart from those back there," he nodded towards where they had come from, "they're all in the west country. No one near here. Except.... Daisy is living in Victoria, I think. Maybe she could come find us."

Norm thought about it for a minute. It was as good an idea as any he had. He thought about trying to get in touch with Danny, but he imagined his reaction would be something along the lines of 'You've dug the hole, you get yourself out, boyo'. At least he had his Irish passport and ID and his flight ticket. Victoria would be good -- he could get the train back down to Gatwick from there. "OK," he said, "Let's try calling your girlfriend."

Chapter 20: Victoria

It took Jack several attempts to raise Daisy from his mobile. When he did get through the conversation was stilted. He was conscious that his phone might be being monitored and he was sure that the authorities would be on high alert after the ExCel centre debacle.

"Hi," he said. "I wondered if you could do me a favour. I was hoping we could get together but I'm not sure about being out on the streets alone."

Jack's uncharacteristic coyness gave Daisy a clue that something was wrong. "Oh, poor baby," she responded, teasingly, "of course I'll come and get you."

"I'm with a friend. We're by the Costco in Chingford."

"I'll be there baby, be good."

It took her an hour. Jack and Norm found a place to hole up behind an advertising hoarding. They saw her climb out of a cab, hunched up in her puffer jacket against the cool morning and looking around to see if she could spot them. Jack and Norm stepped out from behind the hoarding and Jack called across to her.

"You two are looking pretty dishevelled," she said. "I guess you could use a coffee. There's a place over there. I brought some camouflage." She opened the bag she had slung over her shoulder and took out two collars and a pair of leashes. "Put these on and come along like good boys."

"You seem to be enjoying this more than seems proper for someone concerned with men's rights," Jack smiled as he fastened his collar on, relieved to be finding a way out of their predicament.

"Let's just say it's nice to be asked to help out, which is more than Gerry did when it came to the ExCel thing."

"You heard about that?"

"It's all over the news. If he wanted publicity, he got it. Probably not the coverage he'd have liked though." Daisy led the way across the car park towards a coffee stand. "Lots of headlines like 'Three Arrested in Failed Escape Bid at Detention Centre'. Plenty of comments along the lines of 'useless men can't even break IN to a prison'."

They got their coffees. Norm and Jack were both was grateful to get the hot drinks and for the feeling that with Daisy around they were far less likely to attract the attention of the MCF.

"Come on," Daisy said as they finished their drinks. "Let's get back to Victoria." She got out her phone and called a cab.

"Blimey," the cab driver said as she drew up at the coffee stand. "You haven't got two of them to worry about have you? One would be more effort than I could manage."

"Oh, you know how it is." She turned to Jack and Norm. "In you get boys, let's go home."

The two men sat quietly for the ride back across town. Norm couldn't help noticing that Daisy was groping Jack's thigh suggestively.

The taxi driver kept up a running commentary on the news from Docklands for most of the drive. "Can you believe it?... They tried to bust some of those deviants out of the ExCel.... Must have been blokes that organised it -- sounds like a right cock up.... One of them dissident groups... There was a vote and they lost, I don't understand why they can't just accept it. ... Word is the MCF were waiting for them....."

Daisy managed the occasional "Uhuh" in response but their driver didn't seem to need any further interaction. It wasn't long before they got to Victoria.

"There you are, love," their driver announced. "You keep those boys on the straight and narrow. You wouldn't want them to get caught up in anything like that."

"You're right there!" said Daisy as she paid the driver and showed Jack and Norm inside.

It was a comfortable flat in the basement of a terraced house. Jack was surprised Daisy could afford it as a student but maybe her family had money. As they got through the door, a shouted "Hi Daisy!" came from inside.

Jack recognised Spencer Hames' voice. He looked at the coat discarded on the chair in the hall and the pile of books on the table. He hadn't realised Daisy and Spencer were sharing the flat. It was a disappointing discovery.

Inside the flat, Norm couldn't wait to unfasten his collar. Jack seemed a little slower off the mark. It seemed to Norm that Jack's political enthusiasms were waning in the face of his attraction to Daisy. Luckily, Norm thought, that's not my problem.

Spencer appeared from the kitchen apparently unsurprised by Daisy arriving with the two others in tow. "Hi -- it's Jack isn't it? From Fitzroy Square?"

"Yeah. Good to see you again." Jack tried hard to sound sincere although Norm was pretty sure he'd been disappointed to see Spence at Daisy's place.

"Hi Spence," Daisy gave Spencer a kiss on the cheek which seemed more sisterly than passionate, Jack told himself. "This is Terry, he's a friend of Gerry's."

"Oh, right. I've been trying to find him. He seems to have gone to ground."

"Not seen him for a couple of days." Norm wasn't keen to get involved in what looked like a complicated domestic set up. He turned to Daisy, handing back his collar and leash. "Well, thanks for digging us out of that. I'm going to try to get my flight. I think I'm better off back in Ireland, if you don't mind me saying."

Jack smiled and offered Norm his hand. "Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I'd have got out of Mudchute otherwise."

"That's OK."

"Have a safe trip," Daisy added.

Norm grabbed his bag, said his farewells and headed out onto the street. He checked the road signs. He certainly didn't want to attract the attention of a passing MCF officer by ignoring one of the street regulations. With careful navigation he reached Victoria Station without any trouble.

There were a few police around on the station concourse but no more than Norm would have expected. One of the railway staff was checking tickets at the gate to the platform for the Gatwick Express but she seemed uninterested in him, once he showed her his flight ticket. Norm sat down on the train with a sense of relief. He was glad to be heading back to Sligo.

Chapter 21: Tracking

The trouble with this release of the data visualisation software, thought Catherine Chee, is sometimes the results make no sense.

She was working on the dataset for a "person of interest" following the break out at ExCel. Luckily the POI had got one of the new ident cards that could be detected at about a fifty metre range from a detection point. The trouble was there weren't that many detectors around yet, and they got fewer the further out of the centre of town you went.

There were a couple of pings close to Mudchute itself, another up towards Stratford -- she wondered if they were heading to the rail station trying to get across onto the high speed line down to the Channel Tunnel -- then another near Clapton. There didn't seem to be a road linking the pings. Checking the timings, they would work for someone travelling on foot.

It was only when Catherine added a satellite view to the road map that she realised the pings were following the line of the River Lea.

The problem, then, for Catherine was what should she do with the data. It was always the challenge when you had a new source of intelligence. You had to be careful how you used to the results of it. There was always the fear of revealing what you could detect. That could lessen the future value of your resource. In this case it was hard to see how setting the MCF on this fugitive would have much benefit. The breakout had been foiled, the individual these blips represented didn't pose a current threat. It would be better just keeping an eye on where he went. She was pretty sure Aileen would agree.