The Tides Of War Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He began to suspect that he was under observation so fast had been their appearance. After they left, the servant appeared carrying a tray with a cut glass decanter and a glass.

"His highness thought you may appreciate this Sahib," he murmured, bowing as he left.

David smelt the decanter after removing the stopper. It was whiskey and the taste confirmed it as a malt whiskey of a superior brand. After a small drink he reluctantly put it on the table and blew out the candles before climbing into bed. He was a sleep in seconds.

He awoke the next morning feeling refreshed. Looking at his watch, he saw it was almost seven as he automatically wound it up.

He sat up in bed as the door opened and the servant appeared. He gave David the traditional greeting, placing his hands together as if in prayer, "Good morning Sahib I trust you slept well, he murmured.

"Yes thank you, very well," he replied returning the greeting.

"I have taken the liberty of having hot water provided for you in the bathroom. His Majesty wonders if you would have breakfast with him when you are ready."

As he spoke, two girls came in carrying his clothes which they laid on the bed. Another came in carrying his shoes and the riding boots. All had been washed and ironed and the shoes and boots gleamed.

When they had left, he hopped out of bed, wound the Mundu around him and then collected his cutthroat razor and shaving brush from the Gladstone bag on his way into the bathroom.

Chapter 4

The servant, who he finally discovered was called Peshawar, collected him at his room and conducted him along the corridors, coming to a halt by a wide terrace where a table and chairs, had been placed by the ornate railings.

A tall man dressed in a linen suit not unlike his own, had his back to him as he stood at the railing looking out over the city.

"Mr. Ramage, your Majesty," announced Peshawar.

The man spun around, a wide smile on his face. David stopped and bowed his head, "Your Majesty," he murmured.

The Prince extended his hand and David shook it surprised at the firmness of his grip, "Mr. Ramage it's so good of you to undertake the journey to be here. Peshawar you may now serve breakfast," he said, indicating that David should take a seat.

"I hope you like scrambled eggs Mr. Ramage," the Prince said as he seated himself.

David studied him as he sat down. He judged the Prince to be in his early forties, roughly six feet tall, with a lean body clad in a linen suit beautifully tailored to fit his body. He noticed the Prince, like himself, wore a soft turned down collar rather than the more formal, stiff bat-winged collar favoured by most of the senior politicians and men of means he had met in India.

He smiled to himself seeing his Oxford tie. But the most striking feature of the man was his face and eyes.

He wore a short pointed beard and a thin moustache with a lean hawkish nose his eyes were almost black below thick eyebrows. It was, David concluded, a face of intelligence and power.

A trained and experienced observer, David, took this all in in a glance.

"So Mr. Ramage I see you batted for the other team," he chuckled, indicating David's Cambridge tie.

"I'm afraid so, sir," he replied adjusting his serviette.

They talked about their respective universities during breakfast. Afterwards, the Prince led him into a small room that held two large cane chairs with a low coffee table between them. The Prince offered David a cheroot from a case he had in his inside pocket.

After lighting it he sat back, "You must be wondering why you are here David. I hope you don't mind me addressing you as David?" he asked.

David shook his head, "Of course not, sir.'

The Prince smiled, "I know quite a lot about you and what I have learnt makes me think you are the ideal man for the task I have in mind."

David frowned still mystified as to why he was here.

"I know why you resigned your commission and the circumstances that led up to that. You deliberately ignored an order to retreat - a retreat which would have meant the certain death of the men trapped in that ambush - In order to redeem the withdrawal of your commanding officer, who panicked. I understand from my sources that the officer concerned has a history of such..." he hesitated, "...nervousness."

"Instead, you led your platoon in a flanking attack that took the enemy by surprise allowing the trapped men to escape, bringing their dead and wounded out with them. I also know that the charge brought against you was structured to prevent the full facts from being brought out into the open at trial.

"Further, I know that you were a career soldier who has not had any outside advantage to help further your career. Your promotions have all come about from your personal ability to lead men in battle. The men in your command idolised you, and would have followed you into hell if you led them."

The Prince looked at David and shook his head, "How the British Raj has managed to be so successful when such incompetents such as General Fitzroy lead its army, is a constant mystery to me."

"If I may ask Sir, how is it your are so well informed about me? It's only just over a week ago I resigned."

The Prince chuckled, "I knew within three days of your resignation David. I make it a point to know what is going on in the corridors of power and the British army. It was a foregone conclusion that you would be treated as you were, my agents informed me. They also informed me of your unique ability to inspire loyalty in the troops in your command. I have need of a man of your ability."

"I don't follow you, sir," he replied.

The Prince's face became serious, "This room is one of only a few in my palace in which I can be sure of that I cannot be observed or overheard. There are those in my Kingdom who would be well rewarded by John Company or the Afghans for any information they can pass to them, leading up to an overthrow of myself, if they have their way.

"You have been invited here in the pretext of reviewing my army. The real reason I invited you here was to train a force to guard the Khana Pass, a force that could hold the Pass against the incursions of the Afghans.

"I'm afraid my present army is composed of no more than toy soldiers. They look picturesque in their flamboyant uniforms but they are not fighting men. My brother-in-law, who is the General of the Army, parades them now and again, but most have never left the city in their service career, content to stay in their comfortable barracks.

"The only troops I have of any worth are the Gurkhas, who man the border crossings. They have their own barracks 40 miles outside of the city. It's more of a fort than a barracks, due to its isolation.

"Officially there are 57 on their muster rolls, but I have a further 36 who are under training there. My agents recruit more, particularly any who have seen service with the British Army.

Unfortunately my brother-in-law's loyalty to me is questionable, but better to know your enemy than not.

"So, David, look over my troops as if you are evaluating their worth. You will have free access to go were you wish, then report back to me in four days' time."

David sat stunned, but his professionalism won through and he asked, "Why don't your own troops guard the Pass?"

The prince smiled but not with his eyes, "My brother-in-law claims his duty and that of my army is to protect the city and me and he has managed to convince a number of my senior adviser with this approach. His argument is that it's better to employ Gurkhas to carry out the menial task of guarding the Passes into my country. Fortunately he has very little to do with them. The ride out to their barracks is too far for him. He likes his comfort you see."

"But surely, sir, you require a more senior officer than I was to train your troops?"

"Did a senior officer train your men David or did you?" the Prince asked.

David acknowledged the point with a nod the Prince continued, "Captain Hazzor has been detailed to show you around. He'll meet you tomorrow at eight. Needless to say, what we have talked about must remain secret between the two of us."

Chapter 4

Over the next four days David inspected the troops of the Prince. On the pretext of wishing to see Khana Pass, he spent a night at the barracks of the Gurkhas. On the fifth day he returned to provide his initial report to the Prince. His briefing was conducted in the room they had used for their previous confidential meeting.

"So David, what do you think of my Army and please be frank"

David took a deep breath, "Sir, I do not think the troops I saw in the city could even be classed as toy soldiers. True, they look dashing in their outlandish uniforms, but the condition of their rifles was appalling. Some I inspected had rust in the barrels and locks. When I asked when they had last conducted musket practice, they looked at me as if I was mad. I met General Tarbah, your brother-in-law, who seemed to believe everything was all right even when I pointed out that some of the cannons had rusted flintlocks. He merely passed it off as a minor detail that would be corrected in due course.

"Only when I visited the Ghurkha barracks did I find evidence of professional soldiers. Their weapons were in first class condition, albeit old, and the ammunition they have been issued was, I'm afraid in a poor condition. I would consider only one in four rounds as serviceable for use. Hardly something to inspire confidence in Kanda's ability successfully to defend the major invasion route into the kingdom."

"What you have said only confirms my own suspicions David," the Prince said.

They sat back as the Prince considered his report, finally he asked, "What would you do, given the funds, to improve the situation of the Gurkhas out at the Fort?"

David considered the question before replying, "I'd give them modern weapons that could offset their numbers. I've read that the next generation of rifles will be magazine fed. There has been talk in England of a perfected breech mechanism that could hold up to several rounds, and experiments have been conducted using cordite instead of black powder for ammunition. It is said that it increases range and doesn't have the resultant smoke that you have with black powder when the weapon is discharged."

The prince nodded, "I too have heard talk about such rifles I believe Mauser in Germany have been following this line of development too."

They sat in silence for a few minutes before the Prince spoke again, "David, would you undertake to go to England to procure these weapons and ammunition as well as any other weapons and equipment you think would be useful in defending the Pass?"

"It would require a great deal of money to do as you request sir. Something in the order of a twenty thousand pounds."

The Prince smiled, "Money is the least of our worries. I would furnish you with a document; to draw whatever funds you need from my bank. The main problem is speed and secrecy in this venture.

"Should you accept this challenge, a boat can take you down to Deri Ismal Kahn to connect with the train from there to Karachi. A fast mail steamer departs from there every Monday and follows a route through the Suez Canal. It would get you to England in a little over three weeks. Today is Wednesday. If you left at first light tomorrow you would arrive in time to make the connections for the next steamer."

He looked at David waiting for his answer.

David swallowed, "Very well, sir. I'll go and do my best to carry out your wishes."

The Prince relaxed, smiling. "I'll have my agents look out for you. They will be there to assist in your journey."

Noting David's frown, the Prince recognized the unasked question and chuckled before saying, "Pigeons have their uses I've discovered."

It was still dark when he was led to a side entrance of the Palace. An old cart was waiting for him, He was bundled up in the back and covered up from view as the guards on the gate waved it through.

A sleek boat manned by four oarsmen waited at the riverside for him. No words were said as he was shown to the stern of the boat and within minutes it was speeding down the swift flowing Kana River.

David began to relax. Wrapped in a blanket, he closed his eyes and slept.

Nine hours later the boat pulled into a dilapidated dock were he alighted from the boat. A man was waiting for him and gave the usual Indian greeting, which David returned.

"Sahib, a room has been booked for you at the Railway Hotel and a ticket for the train has been purchased for you," he said, handing David the ticket and starting to walk along the dockyard to the road. "The train leaves at seven pm so you have six hours to wait, sufficient time to have a meal and refresh yourself. It would be most advantageous if you did not leave your room until it is time to board your train."

The man stopped by a waiting rickshaw. "It only remains for me to wish you a jolly good trip Sahib," giving David the prayer greeting once more.

He purchased a newspaper in the reception lounge of the hotel then followed the Indian porter up to his room. The room was small but comfortable, he asked the porter to prepare a bath for him as he tipped him.

After his bath and shave he sat in his shirtsleeves thinking of what he must do when he reached Karachi, realising he would need more clothes and a suitcase for the ship.

He settled down to read the newspaper. Apparently there had been several clashes with the army involving civil unrest amongst the Indian population, and major skirmishes had taken place in the Khyber Pass. Some reports speculated on Russian involvement.

David put the paper down. The British would not stand for a Russian presence on the borders of India. It was far too valuable to the British Empire and to the continuing interests of the old John Company, in particular.

He went down to the dining room and had an early dinner of lamb chops washed down with a beer before returning to gather up his things from his room.

He was relieved to find he had a first class compartment to himself as the train pulled out for its long journey to Karachi.

******

It was late Saturday afternoon when the train came to a halt at McLeod Station in Karachi.

As David stepped from the train, a Mr. Smithers introduced himself as the Prince's representative in Karachi.

In the carriage taking him to his hotel, Mr. Smithers informed him of the arrangements he had made for him. He was booked into a suite at the Royal Hotel, Karachi's premiere hotel. A stateroom on the steamer Eastern Comet had also been booked for him. The ship, Mr. Smithers explained was a fast mail ship that only catered to thirty passengers.

When David brought up the subject of clothes and a suitable suitcase, Mr. Smithers assured him that he would provide a tailor who could make whatever he required in the time available to him.

Arriving at the hotel, Mr. Smithers took his leave telling David he would return in an hour with the tailor.

The suite David was shown into was opulent, all the more so because it contained a private bathroom with an enamel bathtub served by hot and cold taps, as was the washbasin. The flushing toilet was a final touch of luxury.

After tipping the porter he wasted no time in taking a bath, his first since boarding the train.

He was wearing his long johns with a bathrobe over him when Mr. Smithers returned with three other Indian gentlemen wearing European clothing, but with Nebbi caps.

The elder, obviously the employer of the other two, was introduced as a Mr. Pattal. Mr. Smithers took charge, informing him that David required a full wardrobe that must be ready by Monday at ten am due to his sailing at two pm.

Whilst one of Mr. Pattal's assistants began to measure him, Mr. Pattal took out a notebook and began writing.

"Am I to assume the Sahib requires everything from top to toe?" a beaming Mr. Pattal asked.

Mr. Smithers replied, "Yes at least three suits of your best material, a dinner suit, overcoat and shoes to match. He'll require a dozen shirts of your best Egyptian cotton along with dress shirts, stud's, cufflinks, cravats, ties and any other necessary accessories."

Mr. Pattal was furiously jotting down the provided information. "Shall I include underclothes and socks Sahib?"

Mr. Smithers seemed agitated, "Yes, of course. Everything a gentleman of means requires for London society Mr. Pattal, if you please. He will also require a cabin trunk to put it all in."

"Would the Sahib like to have a suit and shirts for tomorrow morning?" Mr. Pattal inquired.

"If that is possible, please," David replied looking at his crumpled linen suit.

Mr. Pattal beamed, "That is no problem Sahib. What colours would you like for your suits."

After a further ten minutes, Mr. Pattal and his two assistants left him with the promise that he would return in the morning at nine.

After they had left, Mr. Smithers handed him a slim briefcase extracting from it a thick leather wallet, "There are £500 in this for your out of pocket expenses, Mr. Ramage," he said before replacing the wallet back in the briefcase.

"Thank you Mr. Smithers you have been a great help. I'm afraid I'm a little out of my depth in these matters," he said accepting the briefcase.

"Not at all my boy," Mr. Smithers smiled, replying, "the Prince's instructions were quite explicit concerning your welfare."

"But you haven't had much time in which to organize all of this surly," David replied.

Mr. Smithers frowned "I've known since Thursday of your arrival. One of his agents brought me word of what was required."

After Mr. Smithers' departure, David sat considering the implications of the Prince's disclosure of his pigeon communications system. A message capable of being carried securely by a pigeon would require some sort of abbreviated code he decided. He was developing a newfound respect for the Prince and wondered how many agents he had working on his behalf scattered around India with pigeons in their lofts.

He placed the letters of introduction the Prince had given him to his bank in London and to the hotel he was to use, in the briefcase.

He had room service that night and was in bed by ten.

True to his word, Mr. Pattal arrived promptly at nine accompanied by two assistants bearing boxes. He waited whilst David dressed in his new clothes then fussed around for several minutes to ensure the fit was satisfactory before leaving David to his affairs.

Although it was a Sunday, he still found most of the shops were open due to the difference in religion. He made a point of visiting a large book and magazine shop and purchased a number of hunting magazines and books on modern firearms and ammunition along with a notebook pencils and pen. These he intended to study on the voyage, making notes as he went.

Back in his suite, he sat down with a drink and continued his thinking about about what lay ahead of him as he strove to accomplish the mission the Prince had given him.

He knew you couldn't just go into a shop as if buying a pair of shoes and ask if they would be so kind as to provide him with several hundred rifles and hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition.

There was also the question of whether the Government would allow him to make such a purchase. He couldn't believe they would wholly favour an enterprise that provided the means for Kanda to maintain its independence from a complete colonial takeover.

He would have to be very careful in his dealings.

With those thoughts, he had an early dinner before retiring for the night.

Mr. Pattal arrived at nine again the next morning carrying a suitcase, whilst his assistants struggled with large leather cabin trunk, brass bands reinforcing the trunk at the corners and base.