The Unicorn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You think I care about any of that? I made enough off modeling that I'd never have to worry about what Steve has. I quit modeling with one goal: to find a good man and have a family. I'm trying to get Steve to start a family, and for three years in a row he's said maybe next year. My clock is ticking honey. I'm not getting any younger."

"Really? Are you even thirty yet? Relax, Jen. You have all the time in the world."

*****

Believe it or not, that was the first conversation I remembered when I found out he had died. No one notified me; I heard it on the nightly news like everyone else. I drove straight over, only to find the place full of people I didn't know. The asshole who answered the door didn't want to let me in so I straight armed him into the wall, walking by as he sank to the floor. I found Jen in the living room, surrounded by three of her college friends. Probably the only real friends she had in the whole house. She was sitting there, staring blankly, numb from grief, no doubt.

When she looked at me she wailed, and held out her arms. I soon had her on my lap while she cried like a baby, her friends petting her. The wails subsided to sobs, then sniffles, and then she was out. Her friends gave me a look of gratitude. I knew one; I'd met her at their house and we'd gotten along to the point she asked me to escort her to an awards dinner. Jen fussed over me like a mother over a thirteen-year-old. She bought me a new suit, shirt, tie, shoes and sent me to her stylist.

I probably looked the best I was ever going to in my life when I met her at their house. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to drive the Mercedes and be a perfect gentleman. Sandy grinned as Jen gave me my instructions. "Not too perfect, Jen. I've never encountered a real live redneck, I've heard they can be lots of fun."

I flamed red and Jen had an expression I couldn't read on her face. We had a really good time. Sandy was a lawyer, a very, very good lawyer, as it turned out. The award was for a pro bono case she had won, getting a man who had served seven years out of jail by proving his innocence. She was now representing the guy in a civil suit against the police department and the DA who had convicted him, proving evidence tampering and outright lies on the witness stand. They were trying to settle for half a million; Sandy told them they would accept no less than three. They later settled for 2.2 million. She was smart enough to get it put into payments, two hundred-twenty-thousand a year for ten years. It was enough to set him up in life if he was careful, but it wouldn't bring back the seven years he lost, or his family. His wife had divorced him, taken their daughter and moved across the state, saying she didn't feel safe exposing their daughter to his lifestyle. She'd remarried, and was on the verge of divorce. Sandy got him scheduled visitation, and one weekend a month for then. She talked him into scheduling counseling sessions for him and his daughter at first, to get them used to each other. It would be rough, but she hoped they'd reconnect.

They did, to the point that she petitioned to live with him when her mother's second marriage cratered. In a surprising move, he brought her mother back to town, got her a nice apartment, and supported her until she could provide for herself. He said it was to make up for the child support he should have paid. She hinted, but he turned her down. She'd been pretty abusive in the papers and had refused to let his daughter visit him in prison. Too much water under the bridge. Instead of going to work, he enrolled in community college, then transferred to state, getting a degree in engineering. He and his daughter shared an apartment the last year; she was a freshman at the same school.

I had a really good time at the awards dinner, and enjoyed the dancing afterwards. Jen had to teach me to dance in the style expected, and I'm sure she nursed a few bruised toes the first few lessons. I was dressed well enough to fit in, and when asked I told them I was in construction management, not elaborating. I was actually a crew foreman, and made decent money for what I did. I even had a degree in Construction Management, courtesy of the GI bill. My bosses were impressed enough to promise the next management position that came available.

I was talking to one lawyer I had hit it off with, and Sandy was mingling, networking I guess is the correct term. I heard her say "NO!" really loudly, and looked over in time to see her jerk her hand away from a guy. I casually walked over, surprising her by kissing her on the cheek. "Hi, hon. Enjoying the evening?"

"I was," she said darkly, eyeing the guy in front of her. He looked at me and grinned. He had to be six-five or better and weigh over two-fifty. He had muscles, but I was pretty sure they were gym muscles. I was five-ten, weighed one-seventy, and my muscles were earned through hard work. I could see the dismissal in his eyes. I'd seen guys like him a lot, and one thing the military taught me was how to compensate for size. I grinned back.

"You wanna trade insults, beat on your chest a bit, maybe howl? I think in the interest of time conservation we should skip the preliminaries and go straight to your ass-kicking. I've faced pretty boys like you before, and one thing I've always done, win or lose, is make sure they'll never be as pretty as they were before we started. Then again, you look like you can afford a good cosmetic surgeon. So, you wanna tangle, or just tuck your tail and walk away?"

He started to bluster and I held up a hand. "Yes or no, walk or fight? Say anything else and I will perceive it as a signal to start."

He stuttered a few seconds. looked around wildly, but no one seemed interested in backing him and many seemed to enjoy the thought of watching him get his ass kicked. He deflated like a balloon and walked away. Sandy looked at me like I had grown two heads before grinning. "You've destroyed him, you understand that? He'll never be perceived as an alpha male by anyone who witnessed what just happened, and they'll be more than eager to spread the story. His power base is gone, and he'll never get it back. At least not here. I'll bet you anything he'll leave the firm in less than three months. "

I shrugged. "If it wasn't me, sooner or later it would have been someone else. Wanna dance?"

She did.

*****

It turns out lawyers make pretty good lovers. She was on me like a cat in heat the moment we pulled away from the curb. Three blocks later, she shrugged out of the top of her dress. Her breasts were small but perfectly shaped, high and firm, her nipples huge, and very sensitive. She tried to blow me as I drove, but I pulled her head up.

"Let me drive. I'll wreck us if you keep that up."

She grinned but kept a hand on my erection, slowly sliding it up and down. We managed to make it to her garage, where I dragged her out, bent her over the hood, yanked her dress up and her thong down, and slammed into her as hard as I could. She screamed and climaxed instantly. I probably didn't last five minutes, but it was a very intense five minutes. Mary came twice more before I finally unloaded.

When I pulled back she started sliding off the hood, so I grabbed her, carrying her into her house. I was going to put her on the couch but she revived enough to tell me where the bedroom was. I stood her up and she shrugged, the dress falling bunched to the floor. I didn't know it at the time, but we'd destroyed a three-thousand dollar designer dress.

"Get naked," she ordered, "I still owe you a blowjob."

Like there was going to be an argument. I woke a few hours later with her on top, riding me. I went with the flow until I got close and rolled her over, slamming into her as hard as before. We both collapsed back into sleep.

We showered together the next morning, got into a 69 on the bed before ending up with me doing her doggy-style. After she recovered she took another shower, came out dressed, and led me to the kitchen. Over coffee we talked.

"I really, really like you honey. I'd love to see you again, but I want you to know that right now my career comes first. I won't be looking for anyone to share my life until I make partner and that's a few years down the line. Think you can live with that?"

I think I surprised her. "I can understand that. You're attractive, great in the sack, and have a nice personality, but I have to be honest. I'm not looking for the house with the picket fence and 1.8 kids right now. We can still be friends if you like."

She grinned. "Make that friends with benefits and you have a deal. Jen was right about you."

I asked and she just grinned, telling me to get it from Jen.

*****

Jen was a little off for a while but after a long talk with her friend she was back to her sunny self. "Sandy gave a glowing report of the date. I'm glad you're smart enough to keep from getting serious. Sandy's not the one for you."

I was sort of depressed. "I don't think there's a one out there for me, Jen. Every time I meet someone I use you as a measuring stick and they all fall short."

She went red and then seemed to glow while Steve laughed. "You're ruined then. My wife is one of a kind, the gold standard of women in this world."

Jen really glowed then and I left, knowing they would be making love before my truck left the driveway. I wasn't jealous but I did reflect that if he felt that way he shouldn't neglect her as much.

*****

Sandy stood with her friends, and motioned for me to follow. I carried her to her bedroom, and they turned down the sheets. I laid her down gently, touching her cheek before I left the room. At least one of her friends stayed with her all night.

I went back into the living room, aghast at the sight before me. Somewhere along the line it started turning into a party. They'd found the liquor cabinet and were going at it pretty hard. I held it together until they turned music on, increasing the volume until it was almost blasting. Sandy came back in and looked at me, knowing what I was thinking.

"Who are these assholes?"

"A lot are Steve's business associates, here to stake a claim and begin picking the bones. Some are from her modeling days, and a few of them are going to try to lure her back. The rest are just along for the ride. They'll use her until she comes to her senses then, drift away to another victim."

"You're her lawyer of record, right?"

"I am."

"And Janice, she's a doctor, if I remember correctly?"

"That's true," she said as she started smiling, realizing where I was going.

"Then go ask her, in her professional opinion, if this is a good environment for Jen right now."

"We've already talked about it. It's not. But while we're all intelligent professional women, there's little we can do with this pack of assholes. We're thinking of hiring security."

I stood. "Well, I'm not a woman and have never been known for my smarts. Maybe I can save you a few bucks."

I got their attention when I turned off the music. "On behalf of Jen and Steve, I'd like to thank you all for coming. Jen's doctor has prescribed bed rest and quiet, so if you wouldn't mind, honor her wishes and leave. You can all come back later after she's had time to process. I'm sure she would appreciate it."

"Who the fuck are you, asshole?"

Before I could speak Sandy was in his face. "He's probably the only male in here who actually cares about Jenny. Leave her in peace. If not, well, I'll just have to turn my security consultant loose on you. He holds two black belts and has been charged with murder twice, but I got it changed to justifiable homicide because he was protecting a client both times. Wanna test his limits?"

None of what she said was true but they didn't know that. They left, grumbling among themselves until it was just me, Janice, Sandy, Melody, and Jen.

Janice told us she had given Jen a slight sedative and she'd probably sleep the night through. She turned to me. "Jaime, can you stay? Melody will be here but we'd feel a lot better if you stayed with her. Jen's going to be shaky for quite a while and she'll need friends around her."

I ended up staying for four days, moving into the two bedroom guest cottage they had while the women stayed in the house. There was a huge turnout for his funeral and she held my arm in a death grip, only letting go when I did my pall-bearer duties. I sat beside her while the preacher did the graveside service. She'd cried herself out by then, and sat numbly as he droned on.

The vultures had decided that with me around they'd never be able to advance their agendas, so they left us in peace and we returned to a pretty quiet house. Maybe 20 people, but they were all fond of Jen. I left the next day after Melody and Sandy assured me they would not leave her alone for a while. I didn't see her again until I was summoned to her house for the reading of the will. It seems Steve had left me a little something.

*****

She was ten pounds lighter and still a little pale, but she smiled when she hugged me. Jen, naturally, got everything except for a few personal items he wanted me to have. All his fishing equipment, his boat and his truck. He also left me a letter that I read when I got home.

"Man, if you're reading this then I'm dead. That sucks. I'm hoping you're in your sixties when you get this but I got a feeling that if you're getting what I wanted you to have, it's a lot earlier. I can't tell you what you meant to me. For the first time in my life I had a friend. A friend that didn't give a damn about how much I had or what I could do for him, but a guy who just wanted to hang out, maybe fish and have a few beers.

Think of me when you're kicked back on the boat, reeling in a monster I could only dream about, and raise a beer in my memory now and then.

One more thing. I want you to keep an eye on Jen. I should have been a better husband, but she was still the love of my life. Don't let her do anything foolish while she gets herself back together. I liked to think if anything ever happened to me she'd turn to you. If she does and gets serious, name the first son Steve. Just kidding, dude, but stranger things have happened and I know you'd be good for her. Think about it.

Ever your friend,

Steve."

I was a little surprised when a delivery van pulled into my driveway a week later. The guy had a full load and a note.

"Jaime,

I know you're not expecting this and probably wouldn't take it if you had a choice, but I want you to have them and I'm taking the coward's way out. I'm leaving for a while. I just can't take another night of rambling around in that big empty house. I'll return, but I can't tell you when. These are Steve's clothes. They'll fit you like a glove, and they're too good to waste. I doubt seriously you'll wear more than two of the suits for the rest of your life, but it will be nice to have that option. The jeans and the rest of the casual clothes will come in handy, as well as the boots. Please don't be offended. I know he would have wanted you to have them if he'd have thought that far ahead. Wear them in good faith, remembering the man who was your friend.

Remember, too, that I was also your friend and hope you let me continue to be.

Love you, Jen."

I let the stuff sit in my spare bedroom for a few weeks before I could work up the energy to start going through them. Who the hell needs twenty-eight suits? In the end, I kept eight, highly expensive and damn good looking. The rest I donated, sure some bargain hunter would freak when they saw them. I kept most of the jeans and casual clothes, and all thirty-six pair of the shoes and boots. Each pair probably cost more than I could make in a month. I'd never have to buy shoes again.

Life went on. I'd fish once in a while, always feeling guilty when I used the boat and truck. I hardly ever drove the truck because it was just too nice to have around construction sites. I'd go out on the boat, look through the expensive gear, but most often I used the old Zebco rig I had given him. I still remembered the night I met him.

I didn't have a boat, so I fished from the bank. I was at a hot-spot, right below the discharge chute of a power plant. A lot of stuff got caught up in the turbulence and came out the other end ground up. It was catfish heaven.

I'd already decided to call it a night at eleven. I'd caught four pretty decent fish and a twenty pound monster, enough to keep me in catfish for months. Steve came slowly down the path, stumbling in the dark.

"You okay, man?"

I could tell he was a little buzzed. "Yeah. Maybe. My car quit on me a little ways back and I guess I took a wrong turn somewhere. To top that off, my phone is dead. Can you call an Uber and tell them where to pick me up?"

"I'll do it, but we have to get up a little higher for good reception. Why don't you sit here while I square away my gear and I'll make the call when we get up top. Shouldn't take me long."

He sat watching as I reeled in my lines. It seemed that one catfish was determined to commit suicide, and hit just as I was reeling in the last line. Before I knew it Steve was right beside me, watching in awe.

"Here," I said, grinning. "Reel him up for me."

He snatched the rod, but admitted he had no idea what to do. "Keep the line tight so he can't spit the hook out. Just keep reelin', and when his head comes out of the water I'll scoop him up with the net."

It was a pretty nice cat, ten pounds, at least. I'll never forget the look on his face. "Wow, I've always wanted to catch a fish."

He'd never fished before? What planet did this guy live on?

He helped me carry my stuff back to the truck, and then we went to look at his car. It was a BMW, all chrome and gleaming paint. "I'll call AAA tomorrow and get it towed."

"No, you'll need to call them right now and get them over here. Look around you. We're in the middle of nowhere. If a couple of good ol' boys were to see this sitting here, the only thing left tomorrow would be the frame, maybe. Call them now."

"I'll have to look someone up. Can I use your phone?"

I hit speed dial. "Wilbur? Yeah, I know it's late but I got a hot one. A BMW, dead, at the end of Lookout Point. Can you come and get it? We'll wait."

I had it on speaker. "How the hell did a Beemer get way out there?"

"I think the guy got lost."

"Give me twenty minutes."

We waited, talking while he got there. It was dark, there were no lights anywhere, and ten minutes later a truck pulled up and three guys got out. They looked around and saw my truck but couldn't see us, thinking it was some guy fishing. They were tugging on the door handles when I turned my lights on.

"Move on, boys. Grab your rods and go fishin'. They're biting pretty good."

It was obvious they'd been drinking pretty hard, and one guy told me to mind my own business or they'd mind it for me. I got out, holding the Taurus .357 down by my side. "Move on."

"Or what?"

"Or I blow what you use for brains out."

"You ain't got no gun!"

I raised it and popped a round off. .357's are kind of loud, and it echoed off the lake pretty good. They almost drove off before one could get in. He ended up jumping on the bed as they went by. Steve was looking at me like I was an alien.

"Would you have shot them?"

"I wouldn't have had to. Once they knew I had a weapon all the fight went out of them. If they had been armed or forced the issue, I would have reacted accordingly. Here comes Wilbur."

Wilbur got out, looked over the car, and grinned. "I ain't even askin', but you need to get the undercarriage looked at before you drive it. This is a pretty rough road." He gave Steve a card with the address of his garage.

I asked him where he lived as Wilbur's tail lights faded. It was less than twenty miles away. He was going to call his wife because he didn't think he could get an Uber in that area. He was probably right.

123456...9