The Way of War Pt. 12

Story Info
Sequel to The Tides of War Chapters 34-36.
3.5k words
4.8
12.3k
7

Part 12 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/02/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

Chapter 34

With nothing much to do, the group checked the weapons and equipment. The news from command said the Allies had established a beach head in Italy, but German resistance was strengthening.

For three days the mountains resounded to the crack of thunder and lightning as a storm lashed the mountain with sheets of heavy rain. The temperature dropped and the men sat shivering in the cave, despite having a roaring fire. Andrias and Dave brought their food from the women's cave rather than risk them due to the rock falls that were frequently falling.

Shaun sat huddled in his sheepskin RAF flaying jacket, listening to the storm that raged outside the cave. The rest of the men except John, who was fiddling with the radio, were lying in their beds covered with their blankets.

"It's no good Skip, this storm is stopping any reception," John admitted.

Shaun nodded, "Okay John, get some rest, I'll make us all a coffee."

The storm blew out during the night of the third day. Outside the cave the bright sunlight warmed the rocks and ground creating spirals of steam.

Shaun scanned the area through his binoculars, the path had almost disappeared through landslides and rock falls. He moved to one side as Maria along with around twenty of the other women went passed armed with picks and shovels.

Andrias had a word with her before she passed. He shrugged his shoulders turning to Shaun. "I asked if she needed our help, she said no, they are used to doing this."

They moved back into the cave, as yet another group of women passed.

It was almost one in the afternoon when Alexis staggered into the cave, his face was red through exertion and he was sweating profusely. "The Germans are coming up the path, there about two hours behind me," he managed to say before collapsing on to a bed.

John gave him a drink of water before he continued. "They spotted the women clearing the path, now they're coming to find them."

"How many are there, Alexis?" Shaun asked.

"I think about eighteen, it's all the black shirts that were left, twelve were recalled to Tyropolis Just before the storm started," he managed to say.

"Are the radio operators with them?" Shaun asked. Unable to speak, Alexis just shook his head.

Shaun thought fast, "Dave, get back to the village and try to take the radio operators prisoner, we need them alive.. But be careful. Cookie and John grab the Bren's, we'll need some grenades. Alexis is there any part of the path which will cause them to bunch up?"

Alexis nodded, "About half a kilometre back down the trail there is only room for one man at a time to pass."

The men were gathering up their weapons, Dave had already left. Shaun handed a MP40 and six clips to Alexis, "You will have to guard the women in case they get past us," he said grimly.

They found the choke-point in the path and cautiously went through it. At the other side of it, the pathway widened out. Cookie and John took up positions a hundred yards apart, whilst Shaun, Prof and Andrias hid behind boulders higher up above the choke-point, giving them a perfect field of fire while still able to see their men.

Shaun could hear the Germans as they came up the pathway, laughing and joking. He prayed Dave had managed to avoid them.

Suddenly he saw them. They were strung out, most breathing heavily, sweat running down their faces. The leaders stopped when they reached the narrow passage, allowing the rest to catch up with them. They appeared to be in their thirty's, big rough looking brutes, typical of the Waffen-SS.

They were arguing who would be first through the narrow passage. Shaun pulled out the pin from a grenade and lobbed it into their midst. With the explosion, Cookie and John opened up with the Bren's in a sustained burst of fire. Screams and groans erupted from the Germans as they were cut down. It was all over within twenty seconds, the SS laying in heaps, one or two were still screaming, as Shaun climbed to his feet and down to the path.

He saw Alexis emerge from narrow passage followed quickly by Maria and six of the other women carrying pickaxes. He reasoned Alexis must have been waiting at the other end to stop any Germans passing him. He heard a scream and spun around to see Maria smashing the pickaxe into the face of one of the moaning Germans, then watched as the women finished off the other wounded.

Shaun knew from Alexis that Maria's younger sister was confined in the brothel in Tyropolis.

He called out to the others, "Grab your weapons, we must get to the village." He left Alexis and the women to gather up the German's weapons, as they set off.

***

They were all panting as they arrived at the village square. People were milling about trying to understand what was going on. Shaun spotted Spiro pushing through the crowd.

"Your man has the German radio operators held prisoner, he's holding them in the radio room. Come I will show you."

Shaun found Dave sat at a table nursing a P38, whilst the two young radio operators looked on worriedly. Dave looked up as he entered the room.

"The SS?" he asked.

"All dead," Shaun replied. Dave said something to the operators, and was surprised to see them smile.

Dave took Shaun to one side. "I've had a chance to talk to them. They are all draftees from the same town near the border with Switzerland. They don't agree with Hitler and hate the SS, they call them pigs. High command as issued a recall of 50% of all troops stationed in the Adriatic islands. 120 have been recalled from Tyros, one of them was recalled but there wasn't enough room in the truck for him. Getting captured is a lucky break for them, they think."

Shaun nodded, "Tell them if they cooperate with us, we'll send them back to Alexandrea where they will be prisoners of war. They will be well treated there amongst the German Afrika Korps prisoners. If not they will be turned over to the people of Tyros."

Shaun watched as Dave translated. They in turn spoke rapidly to Dave. He smiled and turned back to Shaun.

"They just want to be out of this stupid war, they'll do anything you ask, Sir."

"Find out how well they know the radio operators in the two fishing villages and Tyropolis?"

Dave spoke to them again, and listened to their reply. "There is only one radio operator in each of the fishing villages, and two at Tyropolis. They know all of them, they went through radio school together. They don't like this war any more than they do, it seems."

Shaun nodded, "If they get any messages from Tyropolis, tell them to say all the Waffen SS are up in the mountains entertaining the women they have discovered there. Get them to say they think there are forty of them. If they get the opportunity to talk to the radio operators on the quite, ask them to warn these two, if any troops from Tyropolis will be coming to Scalos." He handed them a packet of Gold Leaf cigarettes, watching their smiles of pleasure at this act of friendship. He nodded to the men and went outside, leaving Dave to watch over them.

John rushed over to him. "Alexis is going to bring the women down. I asked him if he and the ladies could help Andrias, Prof and Cookie bring our stuff down. He didn't think it would be a problem. Also, I've found their armoury," he grinned, I've got Spiro guarding it as we speak."

"Okay John, good job! Can you see if you can find us all a billet? I'm going to see the Mayor when Andrias comes back."

"Sure thing Boss."

Chapter 35

Over the next three days, the village settled down to a new routine. With Alexis and Spiro's help, twenty able men of the village were instructed in the use of the captured weapons by John and the Prof.

Andrias and Cookie scouted the road into the village for ambush sites. Dave and Shaun stayed near the radio room with the German operators.

From them they learned that only twenty men guarded each of the fishing villages, whilst eighty were stationed at Tyropolis. The expected transit from Tyropolis came on the evening of the third day.

Hans, one of the radio men, explained about the lack of any officers to take the call, due to all the men being with the women they had discovered. There followed a long discussion, with Dave smiling broadly in the back ground.

After Hans signed off, Dave explained to Shaun. "It seems the Major is not pleased. The discovery of the women should have been reported to him immediately. When Hans told him all the men were on the mountain with the women, he nearly had a seizure."

An hour later, Hans contacted the Tyropolis radio operator again. After he signed off, Dave told Shaun it seemed there were only nine girls left in the brothel and four of those were pregnant. The Major is rounding up some men and trucks to bring the women back to the town. The radio man will inform Hans of when they leave.

Alexis and Spiro came to see Shaun that evening. "Major, when they come from Tyropolis to remove the women, you will attack them, yes!?"

Shaun nodded, wondering where this was going.

Alexis continued, "After we have killed them all, we will gather up their weapons and distribute them amongst the men of the fishing villages, then we will kill them all. With their weapons and the ones we have taken from the pigs up the mountain, we will attack the ones in Tyropolis and kill them all too. We do not wish for you and your men to be involved with these attacks." There was a fierce rage burning in his eyes, as he said, "We, the men of Tyros will kill the rest of the scum ourselves. We have had to silently suffer the indignity as they brutalized our women, because we could not fight back. Now we can. We do not wish for your help in this matter, it is something we have to do to prove that we are still men."

Shaun listened with growing admiration to what Alexis said. "I understand your need to be involved in this matter, and if you do not need our help, then so be it. All I ask is that you listen to any advice, I or my men may offer you."

Alexis and Spiro nodded, and then left.

"Wow, I'd hate to be the SS when they do get them." Dave said.

The others nodded in agreement.

Andrias stood up, "I will be with them. It is expected of me, they know I was born here."

Shaun smiled, "I understand, Andrias, and at least there will be one professional amongst them."

Dave delivered the message early next morning. "Their coming with five trucks, so Hans says. The Major has been scouring the town to gather the trucks. Hans reports that there are thirty to forty of them coming."

Shaun wasted no time in organizing the twenty men that Dave and John had been training in the use of the MP40's

Cookie and the Prof took a Bren each, whilst Andrias and John each had an MG34. They set up positions where the road narrowed to cross the bridge. The machine guns were spaced along the killing ground ten feet above the road. Ten of the villages, armed with MP40's, were detailed to hide below the embankment on the far side of the road. They were told not to lift their heads above it or they would be hit in the crossfire. He warned them that some of the SS would try to take shelter down there, then they could kill them. He and Dave would take out the drivers with their rifles. All had been warned not to damage the trucks too much, they would be needed later.

A mule cart was turned over, effectively blocking the bridge. The men took up their positions and settled down to wait.

They heard the trucks before they saw them, groaning as they climbed the steep roadway up to the bridge.

They came into view, the first three truck were German Army, but the two behind were commandeered trucks from the town.

Shaun had taken up a position near the bridge, whilst Dave was fifty yards further along. He would take out the driver of the last truck while Shaun took care of the driver of the first truck. Their shots would be the signal to open fire to the rest of the men.

The convoy ground to a halt by the upturned cart blocking the bridge. A burly NCO climbed down from the lead truck and bawled out orders to the men on the back of it. About twenty men jumped down and approached the cart. Further along the line of trucks other men jumped down to stretch their legs.

Shaun sighted on the driver of the lead truck, the range was around sixty yards as he squeezed the trigger. The driver slumped in his seat with the bullet in his head as Shaun heard Dave's rifle crack, and then the sound of the Bren's and MG34's snarl as the men in the road way were knocked down like nine pins.

It was all over in less than four minutes, bodies were strewn all along the road. The men of the village moved amongst them finishing off any that remained alive.

Later in the village bar, with Alexis and Spiro in attendance, Shaun had a council of war.

"We have one possibility, in two days they will start to ask questions in Tyropolis. We will need to move fast now if we are to maintain the surprise element."

Alexis spoke up, "We can take the two commandeered trucks and attack the two fishing villages tonight with ten men in each truck. If we get there by two or three in the morning the pigs will still be asleep."

"Wont they have guards on duty?" Dave asked.

Spiro shook his head, "Not now, they think we are too scared of them. That changes tonight," he said grimly.

The two villages stood up. "Thank you Major, for all your help, but the men of Tyros will complete this," Alexis said.

"Do you mind if we go along, just to keep an eye on things?" Shaun asked.

"Of course not, we would welcome any suggestions you have to make," Spiro replied.

***

The trucks stopped on the outskirts of the village. The men climbed silently down from it, Alexis and Spiro moved quietly into it leaving them behind.

An hour passed before they reappeared with five other men. They gathered around Alexis as he spoke to them. "There are no guards, they are all sleeping. Johannes will guide us to their headquarters. We must be silent and use knives."

The men smiled with a wolfish grin on their faces. Alexis turned to Shaun, "You may want to stay with the trucks, we won't be long." They moved off silently with Andrias alongside Alexis.

Thirty minutes later Andrias appeared, his face was white. "There all dead, they cut their throats whilst they slept," he said quietly. When Alexis arrived back, he had a further eighteen men with him, all armed with German weapons. They started to climb onto the trucks. Shaun spoke to him, "We need to get back to Scalos to find out if the alarm has been sounded in Tyropolis."

Alexis nodded, "There is a small, German, scout-car outside their barracks, take that. We are going on to the other fishing village to take care of it."

Shaun glanced at his watch, it was a little after two, "After we have found out if everything is quite, we will drive to Tyropolis and meet you outside the town."

Alexis smiled, "Don't be too long, Major, tonight we finish this thing."

He waved to Andrias, whom was sat alongside Alexis in the truck as it pulled away.

Dave arrived with the German scout car and they all piled in as it set off back to Scalos.

"We need to find out what's happening in Tyropolis?" Shaun murmured, "They could be walking into a full scale battle."

"Skip, their blood is up. They've had to put up with a lot from those thugs over the years. Now it's payback time," Dave replied.

Even at the reckless speed that Dave drove, it still took over thirty minutes to get back to the village.

When they drew up by the radio room. Shaun and Dave dashed inside, waking up Hans and Gustav. He quickly gave them instructions regarding Tyropolis, then watched as they connected on the radio.

He saw Hans' face turn pale as he spoke to his opposite number in the town. He signed off and turned to Dave, speaking rapidly.

Dave in turn informed Shaun, "The Jerry's know they are coming, they heard the gun fire from the fishing village. They are preparing for them."

Shaun's heart sank, but he pulled himself together and issued instructions for Dave to pass on to Hans. Then watched as Hans spoke to the radio operator in Tyropolis.

Dave interoperated for him, "He's going to shut down and he and the other one are going to hide until it is all over."

Shaun nodded, "Well that should prevent any news leaving the island. Now we need to get back to the town."

They rushed outside climbing into the scout car.

***

They saw the reddish glow in the sky when still a few miles from the town, then as they drew closer they heard the sound of gunfire.

Dave drew up on the edge of the town square, bodies were strewn all over it, Islanders bodies. They climbed out carrying their weapons and cautiously made their way into the square using the buildings on the side for cover.

The large hotel at the head of the square was were the German fire was coming from. On the second floor two MG34 were keeping the islanders from moving forward.

They were clustered in the buildings to each side of it, firing when opportunity allowed, but as Shaun knew, the MP40 was useless at this range. Every now and then a German would hurl a potato masher grenade at one of the building hiding the islanders. Screams would ring out from them as the grenades exploded.

"Dave, John, see if you can knock out the machine guns with your rifles." He watched as they prepared to fire.

They fired, and the machine guns fell silent, but only for a moment and then they resumed firing.

"I think most of them must be on the second floor, Skip." Dave said as they fired again. Once more the machine guns fell silent. Before beginning again after a few moments.

"We need to coordinate an attack on the door when you knock off the gunners," Shaun said.

As Dave and John changed their positions, the machine gunners had realising where the deadly fire was coming from.

Shaun sprinted forward to a house containing some of the Islanders. Andrias was with them.

He quickly outlined the plan of attack to Andrias. When the guns fell silent, the men must charge the door and gain entrance. He warned them that they would have only seconds in which to do this.

Andrias nodded, then shouted across the square to the men hiding there in Greek.

Shaun looked back toward were Dave and John were concealed. "Dave now!" he shouted above the sound of guns.

He heard the distinctive crack of the 303's above the racket. "Go Andrias, go!" he yelled.

Men on both sides of the square erupted from their hiding places, heading for the doors of the hotel. Some fell as they rushed forward, but the men hit the doors as one body and they flew open. Gunfire erupted inside and Shaun heard the sounds of screaming and groans emanating from inside.

After about ten minutes, an ominous silence descended throughout the building. Shaun rose and started to walk towards it.

He had only taken a few steps when he heard Dave scream, "Skip, look out!" He looked upwards seeing a German stick grenade spinning towards him. He instinctively dived for cover, but the grenade exploded in the air. He felt the shrapnel hitting his body, and in a detached way, time seemed to slow down for him. Then he could heard screaming and realised it was himself doing it. Then the pain hit him, and he sank into oblivion.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers