The Way of War Pt. 16

Story Info
Sequel to The Tides of War.
5.8k words
4.78
9.2k
3

Part 16 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/02/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 44

It had taken three days to eventually reach the King David Hotel where he now sat waiting on the terrace for Ari Silverman, Sharron's father.

When he arrived they hugged and Shaun told him how his daughter and grandson were doing. After getting that away he began to explain about Bobby and what he was prepared to do. Silverman's eyes gleamed at what Shaun said.

"You will have to speak to the council about this Shaun, we do have two ships that are registered as Greek ownership but in actual fact are owned by us. Both are old tramp steamers that potter about the Med but we use them to bring in refugees from Europe"

He made arrangements with Shaun were to meet the committee and at what time.

The meeting took place in the cellar of a house belonging to an old woman who ran a coffee house. The room was lit with a single electric light bulb that shed its light over a table around which six men sat.

Shaun was sat at the end of the table, some of the men he recognised from his previous meeting. Ari made the introductions and outlined what Shaun had arranged regarding weapons.

"But how can we land that amount of weapons without the British discovering the landing place?" One of the men asked knowing of the naval patrols along the coastline.

"If I am right, my plan is to land the weapons somewhere along the Suez Canal, they would then need to be transported overland to you. Now I realise that will take a convoy of trucks to do so. But I have a comrade who is versed in desert navigation who would plan the route to avoid detection. A route that would take over two hundred miles and almost a week to achieve." Shaun paused to look at the men, "The main problem would be the trucks you have at your disposal and the fuel to get them there and back. That will mean creating catches of water and fuel along the route to the canal. It may well be that dependant on how many trucks are available that more than one journey is required."

The table became a buzz as others joined in the debate.

Finally Ari brought the meeting to order. "Shaun, what you propose to do could be the difference between life and death for the new state of Israel. The ship is no problem, all we need to know is the port for embarkation and the dates. We will start to locate the trucks that will be used and gather the fuel supplies needed. But will your comrade be available to guide the trucks?"

Shaun smiled, "He will be there along with the drivers who we will train, and the main thing from your point of view is that the trucks will be up to mark regarding the journey. I will need to know how many trucks you have at your disposal."

They discussed other points before the meeting broke up.

Outside the café Ari said "Shaun I'll give you an address to send your mail too. Unfortunately some of the hot heads within our ranks are creating waves with the British here and their security has been beefed up, so be careful."

Shaun shook hands with his father-in-law, then left to return home.

*********

Back at the Crater he found that the vehicles had arrived and were already at the training area along with ten trainees from Palestine Sharron informed him. Proff and Cookie along with Ken had begun their training. He brought her up to date with his news regarding Bobby and her father.

"I need to set up a meeting with the three of them as soon as possible here at home, can you send a Ghurkha to the camp to inform them, I need to get some shut eye it's been a hectic nine days," he murmured tiredly.

Sharron noticed the dark rings around his eyes, realising he had been very busy whilst he had been away. "You rest darling I'll see to getting them back here."

Prof, Cookie and Ken arrived in a Jeep the following day.

Whilst Sharron mix drinks for them all, Shaun brought them up to date with what had been happening.

"So Proff could you pick out a route from the Canal to get it undetected back to Palestine?"

Prof pursed his lips, "I could easily plan out a route but without going over it to see the road conditions I can't guarantee it."

Shaun nodded "So we need to get you into Palestine. But what about a cover story?"

Prof laughed "Well I still have my Doctorate in Archaeology, I could claim I'm searching for evidence of Moses's route from Egypt."

The others chuckled, "Well you will be helping another exodus." Ken joked.

"Start looking for routes Prof, I'll contact Silverman to let him know you are coming and to get transport ready," Shaun replied.

"Have you thought about radios Shaun?" Ken asked.

"No, but you are right Ken we need to get some anyone have any ideas?"

"I saw in the equipment list from Simons Town that they had radios, but I'm not too ofay on radios." Ken murmured.

"We switched to Wireless Set 68's for the Jeeps and 12's for the truck," Cookie broke in.

"I'll check when I get back home, how many would you need Shaun?"

"Enough for the vehicles, also we will need some for the Kibbutz's. In fact thinking of it get all you can, communication will be vital. We can fit out the vehicles with them and the rest left over can be shipped to Ari Silverman. But don't forget the spares for them."

Shaun changed the subject. "So how are the trainees getting on?" He asked.

"There as keen as mustard," Cookie commented.

"I brought Ted, he's my top mechanic. Ex-REME, he's been showing them how to maintain and fix breakdowns on the vehicles," Ken interjected.

Shaun nodded, "Good, we will be using them to get the arms into Palestine at the appropriate time. Well if there is nothing else I'll let you all get back to work, thanks chaps."

After they had all gone Shaun sat quietly reviewing what had transpired in his head. Sharron came in and sat upon his knees. She was wearing the shorts she had worn in Egypt with a man's shirt tied under her breasts. She stroked his head with her fingers.

"Poor darling it's taking a lot of organizing isn't it?"

"More than I thought I must admit," he murmured.

She bent her head and kissed him softly at first then harder, her tongue pressing against his lips until he opened his mouth to receive it. She could feel his response growing, as his hand slipped into the open neck of her shirt.

Sharron whispered in his ear, "Darling aren't you too tired for this?"

He chuckled, "I'll be too tired when I'm dead," lifting her up in his arms he carried her into the bedroom.

Three days later Proff left for Palestine. Over the following week the ten trainees left to return home.

He received a letter from Bobby written in the code they had used as Z patrol. He had accumulated 2000 SMLE's, 100 Bren guns, 70 Vickers machine guns, 200 MP40 and 42 sub machine guns with 14000 rounds of 9mm bullets, 80 Bazookas and 30 3" Mortars along with 1000000 rounds of .303 ammunition and 10000 grenades for the Jews.

In cases marked CP, were 25 .50 M2HB machine guns, with 150000 rounds of .5 Armour Piercing Incendiary bullets and 30 replacement barrels. 20 Pairs of Vickers K machine guns with mounts, 25 Bren guns, 50 SMLE's MK 3, 60 MP42 9mm machine pistols, 10 Super Bazookas, and 10 3" mortars with ammunition for all. Bobby had stated that another similar load would be available three weeks after this had been picked up.

Shaun sent off a letter to Ari in the same code that Ari had invented for Z patrol, out lining the weapons they would be receiving. And the likelihood a second consignment may be in the offering.

A week later he received a letter from Ari Silverman, Proff had arrived and departed with three of the trainees in a three ton Bedford. Ari had informed Bobby that the tramp steamer Iona Star would dock at Toulon ten days' time. The committee had 'acquired' ten three tonners to set off for the Canal has soon as Proff returned with the route mapped out.

Later that night Shaun brought every one up to date with developments.

"I intend to fly to France and board the ship when it returns through the Canal to see to the unloading. Proff's got a radio, albeit only short range, but I should be able to receive the pickup point. Ken you will need to make arrangements to collect our arms when it docks at Mombasa and get them to the training camp. Cookie you will need to start fixing them to the Jeeps and Trucks." He looked them, "Any questions?"

They all gave a barely noticeable shake of their heads.

Later Sharron asked where the pickup point would be.

"Only the Proff knows that at the moment, but it's got to be somewhere along the Great Bitter Lake where we can unload without too much difficulty. I'll get a latitude and longitude map reference from your mother by telephone that will be disguised to throw off any snoopers."

Sharron stared at Shaun, "It's getting dangerous darling, please be careful."

He chuckled "Darling, this is the most fun I've had since the war ended." Then he kissed her.

Later on his own in the study, he reflected that events were now coming together fast. So much, perhaps too much depended on each facet of the plan working, or everything could fall apart.

Chapter 45

The dock at Toulon gave the impression of organised chaos, dock officials rushed here and there trying to sort out cargos for either unloading or loading the ships that arrived or departed.

Shaun had taken a room at a seedy hotel near the docks and had been there for two days waiting for the Iona Star. A harassed dock official had informed him it was anchored in the roads awaiting its turn to enter the port, which was a day ago.

It had taken him four days to reach Toulon. On booking into the hotel he had managed to contact Sharron after going through the chaotic French telephone system. She had passed the details of the pickup point and had said that Proff had left with the trucks for the Canal.

He had made contact with Bobby, who had told him to make himself known to a Captain Mason who would be expecting him. The weapons for the Crater would be in packing cases with CP burnt into them, there were 26 cases in all, and these would be in a separate box car.

He had watched the goods train pull up alongside the dock and five British soldiers and a Sargent and Captain climb off. After introducing himself to the Captain he had requested that the CP crates be loaded first.

At three in the afternoon the Iona Star docked. A Custom official hurried on board, thirty minutes later the cargo hold was opened and loading commenced. As the pallets were being lifted into the hold Shaun went aboard.

Captain Stavros Papulose was a large heavenly bearded man in his sixties with a ready smile on his face as he met Shaun.

"I understand Major Ramage that we both have Jewish wives," was his opening remark.

Shaun took an immediate likening to him. Over a glass of Ouzo he gave him the coordinate's for the pickup point.

"It will take five days to join the queue to pass through the canal. I intend to wait for the night trip down. As we near the Great Bitter Lake I shall radio that we are experiencing generator problems. This will be excepted as we will have to wait for the ships coming up the Canal into the Lake to arrive before passing down it. We should have twelve hours in which to unload."

Stavros pulled out a chart, and after checking coordinates indicated a point on the east side of the Lake.

"Your colleague as picked a good point, close to an embankment, we should have enough water under our keel to carry out the unloading. Most of the ships waiting to go down the Canal anchor up on the west side of it. He moved away from the chart table and looked at Shaun, "Come I will have you shown to your cabin, we will be getting underway shortly."

Nine hours later the Iona Star moved away from its berth and began its journey to Suez.

Shaun spent long hours in the hold of the ship organizing the pallets, he had quickly realised that the trucks coming for the weapons would not be able to carry it all away in one trip. Some of the cargo would have to be hidden for a second trip. With this in mind he had sorted out which should go first.

Suez resembled Toulon in organized chaos. The Iona Star had to anchor out in the roads and await its turn to enter. As ships left Suez those waiting to enter were informed to proceed. Captain Stavros was aware of the system in place and bided his time until the late afternoon before joining the queue. After an official had checked his documents they waited until the Canal pilot boat started on down the Canal and fell into line with the other ships keeping to the strict speed limit.

As is usual night came suddenly and the ships switched on their running lights. After an hour Stavros began switching off his running lights on and off. They were just entering the Great Bitter Lake when he radioed the Pilot Boat to say he was experiencing generator problems and he intended to anchor on the east side of the Lake to carry out repairs knowing the other ships would anchor on the west side. Receiving an affirmative from the Pilot Boat he proceeded further into the Lake.

Shaun had in the meantime been in the radio room and switched the frequency to Proff's radio. On the third attempt he contacted him. By now the ship was in darkness. Proff said they would flash a torch to let him know where to stop.

An hour later they were tied to the embankment and the unloading began. The pallets were swung over and deposited into the trucks, as each truck was loaded it pulled away and another took its place.

Proff came on board and Shaun informed him about the surplus cargo. Finding out there was no place to hide it near by a hurried discussion was made with Stavros. It was resolved when Stavros said they would unload on their return through the canal. It would take twelve days to reach Mombasa, and a further twelve days to return. This would give the truck drivers time to unload the cargo and return for the second load.

They said their goodbyes to the drivers and wished them luck as the ship pulled away from the embankment.

Proff moved into the cabin with Shaun, his first action was to take a shower. Afterwards dressed in some off Shaun's cloths, his own thrown away he relaxed with a drink poured out for him.

"So Proff did you find a safe route for them?" Shaun asked.

Proff nodded, "It keeps well to the south, mostly wadi and ravines and comes in through the Negev Desert. It's a little over 200 miles, they travel about forty or fifty miles a day and then hold up. I managed to find a good place to store the weapons about fifty miles from Tele Vive. It will take then around a week to get home, maybe more due to the load on the trucks."

"Did you have any problems with the authorities?"

"Not really, they thought I was mad but as I intended to search towards Egypt they gave me a pass, they even supplied more petrol. The three lads who came with me were dressed as Arabs and spoke the language. It took nearly two weeks to find a route the trucks could cover but we found it. Stanley, one of the three lads is in charge of all of them. A good man."

Shaun could see that Proff was worn out from the strain and exposure to the desert. "Okay Proff, get some sleep I'll wake you for breakfast."

The journey around the horn of Africa went without incident and the Iona Star docked thirteen days later at Mombasa. Ken was on hand to supervise the loading off the crates into a freight car. After saying goodbye to Stavros and the crew Shaun and Proff joined Ken on the quay. Three hours later they took their palace in the train compartment to return to Nairobi.

Cookie had trucks waiting for them. The crates were quickly transferred to them. Then they all set off back to the Crater. When they arrived there they found a party had been organized by Sharron and Barbara. Fourteen new trainees had arrived since Shaun had left who also were included in the party.

The following morning Shaun was late vacating the bed, he watched has Sharron tidied up the bedroom before going to get little David ready for school. He noticed that her face glowed from someone who had been emotionally satisfied by the previous night's exertions. A smile crossed his lips remembering.

Proff was late joining them around the trucks, when he emerged he too had a glow on his face.

The cases were opened at the bottom of the Crater where an armoury had been dug out during the First World War and was used now for storage.

When Shaun arrived Cookie and Proff had already opened some of them.

"Bobby really did us proud" Cookie murmured, "These .50's have never been fired. There still in there protective grease.

Shaun nodded, "get the trainees to start cleaning them up, there will be more off the weapons to clean up, but only clean up those we need for the vehicles. Leave the rest in there protective coverings for the time being."

Chapter 46

By July1947 the Crater had received a further shipment from Bobby prior to him joining them there, mainly ammunition. But the Iona Star had unloaded two more Jeeps at the Great Bitter Lake along with more weapons. Seventy-eight trainees had passed through their training and twelve were currently finishing off. Bobby had been a great help in showing them how to use the M20 Bazooka and passing on the knowledge he'd acquired from the desert and Europe.

Reports from Ari indicated that things were warming up in Palestine with attacks on Jewish homes and settlements. The British involvement with Palestine came into effect in May 1948, and the British were starting to leave Palestine, leaving areas unprotected from Arab attacks. The Kibbutz's out in Sini were being attacked by ever larger bands of Arabs. Only the use of the weapons that had arrived on Iona Star had saved them from annihilation.

Shaun told the news from Ari who was known to the others, one evening at the Crater. "They need a fast reaction team in place to come to the aid of the Kibbutz's. I'm thinking off sending four jeeps and the two trucks there to achieve that."

"How will you get them there?" Ken asked.

"The only way I can think off is from Mogadishu in Somalia. We can get an export licence from Mombasa to Mogadishu with no problem from the authorities. Then have them loaded onto the Iona Star in Mogadishu, they are more willing to except a bribe there than here."

"How about the weapons and radios?" Bobby murmured.

"They will have to be stripped from the vehicles and crated up as pumping equipment. They can be held in storage until the vehicles arrive. Then they and the vehicles can be reunited once on board the Iona Star.

"If I can make a suggestion Shaun you should also include the water and petrol bowsers. Sini is a long way from the nearest filling station," Ken added.

Shaun smiled, "Point taken. But we will need to fill them up in Mogadishu. Any other points?"

"Just one," Cookie said quietly, "Who will be going?"

"Me," Shaun replied "me and five trainees."

There was a sudden silence, everyone looked a Shaun with incredulity. "I can't speak for the others but I've trained these men and I'm going with them, like it or not Shaun," Cookie said violently.

"You can count me in on that Shaun," Proff added. "Ditto," Bobby murmured.

Shaun looked at them seeing the determination in their eyes. He quickly revised his plans.

"Before you put in your five eggs Ken," Shaun said, "someone needs to be here to organize the other vehicles for transport for when they are needed, and that means you too Proff."

Proff began to argue about the decision, until Shaun calmed him down.

"Ken can't do it all, the weapons and radios have to be stowed and packed along with the ammunition."

Shaun turned to Bobby and Cookie, "One of you will have to go to Mogadishu to see to the unloading and storing until the vehicles arrive. Then see to them being loaded on the Iona Star. Once on board the weapons and radios will need to be fitted to the vehicles ready for unloading once it gets to the Great Bitter Lake."

12