The Women in My Life Ch. 10 Pt. 04

Story Info
The Red Headed Woman and Me.
4.1k words
4.57
1.4k
1
0

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 08/07/2023
Created 02/02/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Our relationship was in the open and going well. As it neared Christmas, we began to wonder where we would end up. Together.

The Red Headed Woman and Me

The week after the December Ops meeting, Emma had booked the Friday off for Christmas shopping. She realised, early evening Thursday, that she'd left her list in work! Rather than risk getting distracted by work if she went in on the Friday, she decided to go back to the office, late. She knew George, the night watchman, would let her in, but rang ahead anyway. It was about 8pm and George told her that Paul was still there anyway! Emma didn't think anything about it until she got there, signed in and found Paul's wife was signed in too! In the Office, Laura [Paul's wife] was sitting at one terminal but had a second one running too.

Emma said hello to Laura, who seemed suddenly shocked and jumped up to get Paul from the Computer Room. As she hurried, she knocked a piece of paper off the desk. Emma picked it up and put it back on the desk. By the time Paul came out, Emma was on her way back out having collected her shopping list. He seemed flustered in some way, mumbling something about Laura 'helping him with some stuff'. Emma explained she'd merely come to collect her list as she was off on Friday.

As George let Emma out, he said that Paul's wife often came in to help him on those late night jobs. 'What late night jobs?' Emma wondered. As she got back home she tried to remember what she'd seen. She felt suspicious but couldn't think why. Other than not liking Paul anyway!!

It ruminated in her head all day Friday, until I arrived about 7:30. She talked and wondered and worried about it all evening. Even through our food! By about 10 o'clock, I shushed her and said,

"Em, let me summarise what I think you've said and ask some questions. You said the both of them are regularly working evenings, but no one seems to know about it. Can you get a record of all the dates and times they've done that in the last... say 3 months?"

"Yes, from George." she replied.

"You saw what you think was an invoice. What can you remember it said?"

"It was the layout that seemed to be like a service invoice. I don't remember any of the detail. Though I thought it was headed Power Systems & Programming." she answered.

"OK. Check if they're a supplier to us. Try anyone you know in external companies if they've heard of them. Or any other way to find them."

"OK, I can do that."

"And this may be the hardest thing," I said, " Can you remember what either of the screens were showing? Program name, status indicators, anything."

"Can't be sure, but I thought one said something like XFAV. The other looked just like lines of gobbledygook Sums maybe?" Emma said.

"If you can remember any of that gobbledygook that might help. But don't force it." I said.

"You believe me though?" she questioned almost pleaded.

"I believe you're suspicious. Their behaviour certainly warrants investigation. But don't rush into accusations without harder evidence. Let's gather what we can and then speak to Rob. In confidence."

She fairly leapt onto me, so happy I believed her and put a plan together to investigate and or corroborate her suspicions. Love making was quite ardent that night.

By close of play on the Monday, and the last few days before the Christmas break, we had gathered the following information:

• Paul and Laura worked most Thursday or Friday nights till about 11pm, with Laura arriving about 8pm.

• Paul always took one of the disks from and back to the remote safe every time, because George had to open the room.

• Power Systems & Programming was not on our supplier list but was apparently a real business.

• XFAV was a FORTRAN language compiler, which tied in with Emma's 'sums' image. C was our primary coding language and I didn't think we used FORTRAN or had a licence for it. Emma said Warrington did get a licence some 6 months ago!

I told Emma how to interrogate the System Operations log, to find out what was running between the 8pm and 11pm timeslots on those days. Also to look for the XFAV compiler logs.

When we spoke Tuesday evening, she said that the System was shutdown each time just before 8 and restarted about 11. Also XFAV was not on the System at all!

"Em, you're right." I said, seriously, "There's something really fishy going on here. I wonder if they're running a separate System between 8 and 11, on another System disc and one that has that XFAV compiler on it. If so, why? And why don't we know about it?"

"What do we do?" asked Emma.

"Let me think about that. The Christmas break is up soon and we can spend some time together figuring it out. Be patient. Maybe hint to Rob that I'd like to speak to him confidentially sometime soon."

A few days later we broke for Christmas, which I spent with Emma. Christmas Day with Emma's family and Boxing day with mine. It was the first time we slept together in my parents house. And as with so many things, not the last time.

Emma and I had spent time mulling over what to say to Rob about the 'extra curricula' activities going on at work. But we also were starting to think about our 'at a distance' relationship and the probability that I would move job nearer to Warrington.

As Emma had Rob's home number, we decided to chance it and call him for a confidential chat. He agreed to meet us at his home in Frodsham, for an hour's break from the kids!

Carefully we laid out our concerns, the facts we knew and what we suspected. Rob listened patiently saying, "Emma, if you really feel there is something... clandestine to investigate, I trust you. And you, Joe. How do we prove it?"

Rob and I engaged in a long and complex discussion, involving sending Paul off on some week long errand/course; how to collect data; a week long system audit, but not during the daytime etc..

Then Emma said, "Why don't we just catch them in the act?"

Rob and I looked at one another, "I told you," Rob said, "she's the brains of this outfit and worth more to them than you and me put together!"

We all smiled. A simple plan. But one we needed to be very clear about how to go about it.

As we were about to leave, Rob said, "You realise that if he is doing something inappropriate, I'm going to be needing a new Ops Manager. In which case I may need a short term stand in. Someone who knows the business. And someone I can trust."

Quickly Emma said, smiling, "Leave it to me. I think I know someone who might just fit in!"

We left, happy and relieved. To continue the Christmas and New Year break together.

Once work resumed in the January, Emma made sure that George secretly contact her when Paul was 'working late' again and had collected the disc from the remote safe. She made sure he understood it was confidential and he shouldn't let Paul or Laura know.

It was the second week of January, on the Friday evening that George called Emma to say they were in. She rang Rob immediately. In a stroke of good fortune, I had arrived at Emma's half an hour earlier! Within 45 minutes we met up outside the works and George let us in.

Rob led the way. As he entered the office he told Laura to step away from the terminals and had Emma stand by her. Rob and I went into the Computer Room, where Paul was behind the console. He jumped up, looking shocked. And guilty, I thought. Rob ordered him away and out of the room into the office. When Rob asked them what they were doing, Paul attempted some waffle about system improvements and updates. Looking at me, Rob told me to check what was running.

Then looking to Paul, he said, "I am unhappy with this situation, Paul. Until such time as I can verify what your activities here have been, you are suspended. With immediate effect. Collect any personal belonging, but leave all paperwork and other computer related stuff. George will escort you off the premises."

Paul and Laura left rather sheepishly, with George behind them. It took me only a few minutes to confirm that the System disc in use contained a variety of non-business related programs. Actually for customers of POWER Systems & Programming, which was Paul and Laura's business! They were using our System as their personal development system. Without permission.

Rob was furious, to say the least. He wanted a full audit of the main System, in case there was anything suspicious there. "I want you here next week to sort this," he said, "I'll clear it with Wednesbury, if you can sort out cover for you while you're here. I'll speak to Steve [Paul's assistant]. Emma, help in any way that's needed."

He looked about, a mix of anger and disappointment on his face. "OK, save what you need and shut it down. Let's go home. I feel a stiff drink coming on! Oh! Emma, thanks for... discovering this."

We gathered up paperwork, printer output, saved the rogue System disc and shut it down, before restoring normal System running. It took us half an hour, then we were leaving. As we did, Rob generously thanked George too. His face lit up!

Emma and I were extremely buoyant over that weekend. There was the opportunity for me to move to Warrington in Paul's place and we could be together all the time. It was another physically romantic and active weekend.

I returned to Wednesbury and on Monday morning sorted out cover for me, asking Lynn to support Gary. Rob had already spoken to Jim and OK'd it. I was back in Warrington by midday, where Rob had told Steve about Paul's suspension and my interim role. I reassured Steve about his position and told him his role would likely increase in the immediate future.

Tuesday morning, Rob received a letter, hand delivered to reception, from Paul giving in his resignation. Whilst it was not exactly apologetic, he cited 'career changes' and cheekily asked for any 'documentation' he had left behind. That afternoon, Rob formally offered me the Warrington Ops Manager's job. Of course I accepted. As I came out of his office, I saw Emma's face with a huge smile on it!

The rest of January and February was hectic, involving still managing Wednesbury; organising interviews for my old job; selling my old house; moving my stuff into Emma's; as well as fully auditing the Warrington System for anything 'odd'.

Living much nearer to Blackburn, I got to visit my parents more often too, which delighted mum and I got to go to watch Rovers with my dad!

Our life together was just... great. Living together felt so easy and natural. Love making was every day, morning and evening. Outings spent with friends became a regular event. Working together wasn't any kind of problem either.

March rolled on and in early April,my old house sold. We started thinking of getting a new house together, somewhere out Daresbury way. In mid April, Emma had her annual appointment with Dr Helen. It was Thursday afternoon at 2pm.

It was almost 2:45pm when I got a telephone call from Dr Helen's secretary, saying that Emma wanted me to come to the hospital straight away, as Dr Helen wanted to see us both! I can't tell you the panic that raged through my head. What had they found?

I went to Rob straight away, told him, "Go!" he ordered. As I got to the door, he added, "Let me know..."

I drove to the hospital but don't remember the drive, and I dread to think how many times I broke the speed limit. The corridors seemed endless until I got to the Gynae department. The receptionist showed me to Dr Helen's office. I went in, Emma was sat there. At first she seemed... lost, then as soon as she saw me she broke into tears. I raced to her, knelt before her and hugged her. After a moment, she stopped and I pulled away from the hug to look at her reddened eyes.

"Em, what is it? Tell me." I pleaded.

With a deep breath in, she said, "I'm pregnant!"

It took a second or two to sink in, and stupidly I said, "What?... How?..."

The raised eyebrows and the look on Emma's face said 'think about it!'.

"No. I mean... You clever, clever girl!" I said, tears welling in my eyes. Tears reappeared in hers and we hugged and lightly sobbed together.

A few moments later, as I'd sat next to Emma, Dr Helen came in, "Hello again Emma. You must be Joe. Pleased to meet you."

She pulled her chair around to sit before us, "Well this is a really pleasant surprise. I can't be any happier for you, both of you, but particularly you Emma."

She went on tell us that some patients stick in Doctors minds. Emma somehow made her think of her own daughter and what that must feel like for family. Hence her particular attention to Emma. She then went on to revisit the history of the accident and surgery, mainly for my sake I think. One thing that I wasn't aware of was that Emma's remaining ovary was seen to be somewhat smaller than expected and possibly less productive, hence Emma's erratic period cycles. It was also the reason Dr Helen was concerned about her ability to conceive. The other concern was the scarring on Emma's womb and whether it could cope with pregnancy and not rupture, hence her worry about Emma's ability to carry to term.

"I know it's not fashionable or the received wisdom," she said, "but I strongly believe in the chemistry between two people. I've seen many couples unable to conceive, both healthy and fertile but it just doesn't happen. It breaks them apart and then they meet new partners and bang... pregnant! I think that you [Emma] with your one ovary and you [Joe] with your one testicle MUST have that chemistry. To pop an egg out and your little swimmers to find it!" she smiled.

She continued, telling us Emma was 14-16 weeks pregnant and that she was going to class Emma's pregnancy as 'at risk' and so would want to monitor her every two weeks. At the first sign of any distress or concern, she would admit Emma. For the duration! It would almost certainly be a caesarean section.

Finally, she said, "So before you ask, yes you can carry on with whatever baby making activities you've been engaging in, just be less... vigourous and no swinging from chandeliers! As we go further along, that advice may change. Otherwise, no heavy lifting, minimise stress, take it easy. And not too much alcohol either!"

We were both still a little shell shocked and said we'd ask next time. Walking out hand in hand, smiles over both our faces, we drove home in Emma's car. I collected mine later. On the way home, we agreed we had to tell family first.

A sit down and cup of tea at home was first, however. In a varied conversation, we talked about stressors in our life and life in general. Pregnancy, house moves, money matters, bereavements, we mentioned them all. We thought that maybe our house moving idea might have to go on hold. Otherwise we thought we were OK.

I rang Rob in work, saying that we were taking the rest of the day off, and Friday, to discuss what we were told with family, first. I expected us to be back in Monday. He accepted that.

It was about 6:30pm that we arrived at Emma's parents. Emma could barely contain her tears as she told her mum and dad. There were tears of joy there too. It would be around the family in no time!

Back home, that night in bed, we snuggled and gently made love.

We'd decided we should travel to my parents the next day, Friday. I called ahead, saying we'd be making a surprise visit. So it was about 5:30pm when we rolled up. Both mum and dad were in.

"This is a nice surprise," said mum as we sat down.

"Well, that's the thing with surprises mum, they're unexpected. Unless of course you're expecting!" I replied.

It took a few seconds for them to realise what I'd said. Dad was first, he stood up, came over, shook my hand. I stood up and hugged him, "Congratulations, son." Then turning to Emma, who'd also stood, he kissed her cheek, hugged her and said, "Congratulations to you too. I'm so pleased for you both."

Mum was looking upset as she came over to Emma and hugged her. With her arms still holding Emma, she eased back and said, "It's a gift. A wonderful gift given to you by the Grace of God." Mum was well aware of Emma's story. "I've hoped and prayed for you both," she added, holding her hand out to me, "I just know it'll all be OK."

Mum had made shepherd's pie, a favourite of mine and we ate and celebrated with a glass of wine. Just the one for us both.

As we drove home, Emma said that now family had been told, it would be friends next. We were due out Saturday night with them anyway.

As usual on evenings out with the gang of friends, we had our meal first. While sat there, we both kept looking at one another with a slight smirk. When finished and about to order the next drink, that was when Emma told them she was pregnant. The squeals of excitement nearly burst my eardrum! Cath, Libby and Sara were jabbering away all at once. Handshakes and hugs and congratulations followed.

It was Sara, who was already pregnant herself, that asked, "So when are you due?"

"Not absolutely sure, yet but probably September," Emma answered.

"Oh! not like me then. Nine months after my birthday!" she said, looking ominously at her partner. Then, realising, almost shrieked, "We'll be mums together!"

It was a good evening and one we all remembered because by the end of that year, Cath and Libby were pregnant too. They blamed the wine!

Sunday, we were invited to Emma's parents, where there were all sorts of family members I'd never met. Emma's mum had put on a large buffet. It was obvious everyone was especially pleased at the news.

We drove into work together on Monday, something we usually did separately. Rob was overjoyed for us, hugging and handshaking us both. He admitted that Emma's absence would be sorely felt; that he relied on her for so many small things. She'd be a hard act to follow. I think he was gently pleading that Emma returned to work as soon as she was comfortable! The news seemed to travel around the factory at the speed of light, I guess because everyone seemed to know Emma. Internal mail was loaded with cards for her!

Once the news was out there, life sort of returned to normal, except for the hospital visits every two weeks. When Dr Helen said Emma was 24 weeks along, she advised us that Emma should refrain from having any orgasms. Sex was still OK but she wanted to minimise any potential issues that may arise. Emma was OK with that, probably more so than me, as I felt her orgasm was as important as mine. We still made love though.

Two months later, at 32 weeks, Emma was admitted to hospital for 'monitoring', as a precaution. It felt so strange her not being in bed with me, not having her sat with me on the sofa, not seeing her in work even. But it was for the best. I visited every day, twice if allowed. Coincidentally, Sara arrived in the delivery suite while Emma was in hospital. She had a boy and called him Michael.

For us, however, in the months we'd known about the pregnancy, we had struggled to choose a name, either boy or girl. We had sort of felt that once we saw the baby, the name would somehow shout at us!

And then it was decided that at 35 weeks, in the first week of August, Emma would have a planned C Section. Dr Helen would be in charge and I was to be there with Emma.

Most of that morning and the preparation for it was a bit of a haze. The main thing I remember was when Dr Helen delivered the baby, handed it to Emma and said, "Here is your miracle baby... a lovely little girl."

We were both enveloped in joy, looking at this little angel we had somehow magically created. It was Emma, looking at me, that finally spoke, "Your mum said it, 'a Grace from God'!"

I smiled at Emma, "Hello Grace," I repeated, looking across at our baby girl snuggled on her mum's breast.

After only a few minutes, Dr Helen took Grace away to put her, temporarily, in a heated incubator, while they did various checks. Although she was only four weeks early, they wanted to be sure everything was normal.

12