The Wood Knot Warrior

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dell raised his eyebrows as he looked at the two wizards in surprise. Then he looked at the guards who were eyeing him with unease and disgust. "Tell them to back off first."

Lerrisen nodded in annoyance. "He could have cut us all down several times over while we stood here and talked. He hasn't. Stand down!"

When they all stepped back, Dell gripped the hilt and tried to draw the sword. It didn't budge.

Dell looked to the wizards who were watching with fascination.

He grit his teeth and tried to force the blade from the scabbard with his strength, but it only began to move when he focused his will upon it. Then it finally slid free. He held it out sideways so they could inspect the flat of the blade.

"There are runes etched on the surface," Morgan observed aloud.

"The craftsmanship is exceptional! Who do you think could have forged such a weapon?" Lerrisen asked Morgan.

"This is obviously the work of a Dwarf master weaponsmith--" Lights went on behind Morgan's eyes.

"A third suitor, perhaps?" Lerrisen nodded.

"But you said the beauty died!" Dell said.

"A spurned suitor?" Morgan suggested, and Lerrisen nodded vigorously.

"Yes! That fits! The sword contains the essence of the warrior, and the staff holds the Druid, but both are cursed by the weaponsmith, who must have somehow been killed as well. This would explain the intense hatred and the death curse. The sorcerous magic we've been seeing must have come from the Dwarf!"

Dell watched the two wizards becoming excited and glanced at the uneasy guards. "How come no one ever figured this out before?"

Morgan and Lerrisen shared pensive expressions then the Wood Elf wizard offered his thoughts. "From what I've read, no one has ever been able to resist the control of the curse. You described the presence behind the dark magic, which doesn't match the known elements in the recorded story. Prior attempts to destroy the weapons have all failed. Separating and hiding them has been the answer, but they always return. Now we have a chance to deal with the curse directly."

Dell saw the hope on the wizard's faces and nodded slowly. "Okay, but what does this mean?"

Morgan smiled at him. "It means, for the first time since the weapons were first determined to be cursed, we may have the means to break it! We just need to exercise the essence of the Dwarven weaponsmith from them!" Lerrisen nodded vigorously.

Dell stared at them as he held the weapon out. "Well, go ahead!"

"No, we need both weapons together. The curse is spread across the two, so his essence must also be in both. They must be together to be exorcised."

Dell looked at him cautiously. "But you just said when they are brought together, the wielders fight."

"But you can control yours!" Morgan asserted.

"What about this female carrying the Druid staff. Can she control hers? Or is she going to zap me with it? I don't know anything about Druid magic!" Dell complained.

"The female in question is Eryllis Harrowane, who has rage control issues, like you. I won't lie to you. Confronting her could be very dangerous," Lerrisen admitted.

Dell sighed. "Great. Where is she?"

"We assumed she went to Grennesh. Didn't you come from there?" Lerrisen said.

Dell shook his head. "I was just at the Wood Knot Inn."

"As she passed by, you might have felt a compulsion to attack," Morgan suggested, and Dell's expression froze.

"That was her?" he asked.

"You felt it? What did you do?" Morgan asked excitedly.

Dell gaped at the wizard. "What do you think? I resisted the sword's commands and came here!" he exclaimed.

Morgan nodded with an embarrassed smile. "Yes, of course! Apologies. This means she isn't far ahead of us. We might still be able to avoid bloodshed in Grennesh."

Dell sighed, sheathed his sword, and nodded. "Okay, let's go. Can you two walk?"

Morgan smiled. "I feel energized by new hope. I can walk." He looked at Lerrisen.

"I will do my best to not slow you down."

Dell nodded and turned to head back to the Inn. He needed to let his dad know he was okay.

There was hope for being rid of this sword once and for all.

-=-

Eryllis was floating in comforting warmth. Her stomach was pleasantly full after a delicious meal, perhaps the best she'd ever had. Her whole body was wrapped in soft blankets, and there was a scent, hot and masculine. It triggered something in her, and her body tingled with a promise of greater pleasure to come. She had something to look forward to for the first time in her life, and she liked that anticipation. It was hopeful!

Intruding on these wonderful sensations was a restlessness, a pressure, a need to get moving, a threat of impending danger, and a reminder of a task left undone. A leering face appeared in her mind. Above her, looking down at her like she was some inanimate thing to be used and discarded. Her anger flared, and she remembered.

He was just ahead, not far away now. She could have her revenge. She just needed to go get it.

Eryllis' eyes fluttered open, and she found herself in an unfamiliar room. She was warm and comfortable and wanted to remain like that, but a spike of pain went through her temples, and she winced as her temper flared.

Throwing off the blanket, she saw she was still dressed. It must have been the Orc, Kharza, who put her to bed. She'd never met an Orc before, but she liked this one very much.

She slipped her shoes on, picked up her Druid staff, and noticed her pack was undisturbed on the floor next to the door. So Kharza was trustworthy too. Good to know.

The pain in her head increased, and her temper with it. She wasn't sure where the impatience was coming from, but she didn't appreciate it.

She left the room with a final glance back, then walked to the stairs and down to the main floor. She exited a door and saw a sign on it indicating private. The room she was in belonged to one of the staff? Maybe it was the cook, the one who made that incredible meal she ate. The one Kharza said was good in bed! A thrill rushed through her.

She smiled to herself as she felt so free at the moment.

A leering face flashed in her mind, destroying the peace she'd felt.

She turned and walked out the front door, down the steps, and continued her journey toward Grennesh. She'd have her revenge against that monster and anyone who got in her way of getting to him. She'd heard one of the men holding her down mention his name, Perris. Recalling the two guardsmen who were with him, she decided they needed to be punished as well. She'd get Perris to tell her their names before she destroyed him. The thought put a smile on her face.

She needed this.

As she walked up the hill, she noticed a glow ahead. Passing through an arch of trees, she saw the city walls, the huge gate now closed at this hour, but it had an open wicket. Two city guardsmen stood, one to a side of this smaller door.

Eryllis marched directly forward and stopped before them. They made no effort to not stare at her chest and leer. These would be her first targets.

"I've come to speak with Perris," she said firmly as she gripped the staff tightly.

One of the guards smirked. "You're in luck sweetness, I'm Perris!"

"You are not him. I know what he looks like," she insisted.

"Maybe I'm his brother, then," the guardsman said slyly.

She ignored him and looked to the other. "Where is Perris?"

"Which one?" the guard asked.

"The one who rapes," she spat.

"Oh! That one. Perris la Blayne. You almost missed him as tomorrow he'll be executed. Or did you come to see the show?" the guardsman asked, his gaze remaining in her cleavage.

Eryllis paused. This was unexpected. She was sure he would be living it up, not in prison, sentenced to death. It had been years since that night. Could it really have taken them that long to serve him justice?

"Are you coming in?" the helpful guardsman asked.

"Maybe she'd like to show us her tits first?" the first man suggested to his buddy, who nodded in delight.

So, he wasn't so helpful. Her disgust and loathing soared, and she spoke silently.

Stepping through the wicket, she faced two more guardsmen inside. "Where are they holding Perris la Blayne?" she asked before they saw what was happening outside the gate.

"In the courthouse lockup," one responded, then spotted the man on the ground outside the gate.

Then he and his partner were busy retching and filling their pants.

She quickly walked away to avoid being connected to the current activities of the guardsmen.

Also, to get clear of the smell.

-=-

Dell, the wizards, and the Elf guards reached the Wood Knot Inn, and Dell immediately went inside. He knew his father would be in the bar this time of night speaking with some of the regulars and their bartender.

He smiled as he saw Kharza sitting by the side of the room, her eyes tracking everyone.

His father looked up, then quickly stood and walked over to see him as he glanced at Morgan in surprise. His eyes flicked to the Wood Elf wizard, and his entourage of guards then went back to Dell, who sighed and nodded.

"Are you okay?" Karter asked him as Kharza joined him.

"Yes, but I met some friends at the bottom of the road," Dell said.

"You found Grennesh's most experienced magic user!" Kharza said in delight.

Dell smiled. "Yes. This is Morgan Ducane, the Master Wizard of Grennesh and Lerrisen Kerowick, Master Wizard of Ghelli'Talesh in the Mistveil Woods."

"You need to tell him how to free himself of that meddlesome sword!" she said to them, and the wizards smiled.

Dell explained. "They think they know how to do that, but we need to find a Wood Elf female by the name of Eryllis Harrowane, as she may be carrying a cursed... Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I served her one of your pies, then she passed out from exhaustion. I put her to sleep in your bed upstairs. She has a Druid staff that follows her around like your sword follows you," Kharza explained.

The wizards shared a look then turned to Dell, who was looking toward the door leading upstairs.

"Do you feel the sword pulling you to her?" Morgan asked.

Dell looked at him. "No. Nothing."

"Kharza, go upstairs and see if she's still asleep. If she's awake, ask her to come downstairs and out onto the front porch," Karter said.

With a nod, the Orc rushed away.

"We should wait outside. It will give us more space to work," Morgan suggested.

Dell nodded as he followed and tried to pick up that sensation he'd felt before of an impending battle. Still nothing. He was starting to believe she wasn't there.

As they waited on the roadway in front of the inn, Kharza rushed outside to shake her head. "She's gone."

"Damn!" Morgan cursed. He looked up the hill. "We must hurry before she causes too much damage!"

Kharza stared at him. "She didn't seem like the violent type," she said. "We had a good talk. She seemed happy."

Lerrisen smiled and relaxed a little. "This is good as Eryllis has anger issues and is carrying a cursed Druid staff with tremendous power in it. Her aptitude for magic is very strong but combined with her rage, that could be devastating! If she was calm and happy, then she might have control again."

Dell looked at his father, who looked like he was preparing to follow. "No, please stay here. I need to know you're safe."

Karter was suddenly angry. "My son is locked into a curse with a magic sword, and some wizards are going to try to break this bond. That sounds dangerous! I need to protect you!"

"I can't do this if I'm worried about you! Please!" Dell pleaded.

Karter looked conflicted, then he turned to Kharza. "Protect him."

"With my life," she said, clasping his forearm.

Then Dell rushed up the road with Kharza at his side as the wizards and their guards tried to keep up.

"Two cursed magic weapons?" Kharza asked.

Dell gave her a nod. "It gets worse. The curse makes the wielders battle to the death. Anyone in the vicinity may take sides and start slaughtering each other, Human and Wood Elves," he explained.

Kharza looked at him in shock. "Why are we running toward this?"

Dell smiled grimly. "I can overpower the will embedded in the sword, or at least I can when not faced with an opponent carrying the staff. I hope I'll be able to stay in control. The question is, will she be able to maintain her control? We need to speak with her."

They were approaching the gate, and they saw two guardsmen lying on the ground by the small door.

As they got closer, the smell reached them first. Looking inside, they saw two more. They stood back until the wizards arrived. They took one look at the men and went to work. They stepped through the small door and helped the unconscious men inside.

"They'll live," Morgan said. "She's disabling them, not killing. That's a promising sign."

"But where did she go."

Commander Falco raced by on his horse, spotted them at the gate, and quickly changed his course to join them. "Wizard Ducane! Thank the gods you're here! I was just notified the courthouse is under some kind of magic attack!" He pointed the group toward a wagon tied up at the gatehouse a short distance away.

"Who's there?" Morgan asked as he ran toward the wagon. It was hitched to some beasts of labor.

Falco kept pace on his horse. "Just a small garrison of guardsmen and the prisoners. We currently just have a few drunks and Perris la Blayne, who's scheduled for execution tomorrow."

Dell and Kharza helped the wizards onto the wagon. Three of the Wood Elf guards climbed up on the driver's bench and got the wagon moving. The remaining three were forced to run behind the wagon to keep up.

"Do you have any idea of the size of the attacking force?" the commander asked as he rode alongside them.

"One Wood Elf female with a cursed Druid staff," Morgan told him.

"One female? She's the one taking all of my guardsmen apart?" Falco asked incredulously.

"So far, we've only seen her making them sick. We can cure that," Lerrisen offered.

Morgan locked eyes with the commander. "The real danger begins when the bearer of the cursed staff meets with the wielder of the cursed sword. We'll need to pull everyone back. Dell will be on his own, and we're betting on him controlling the sword. Hopefully, she can do the same with the staff."

The commander looked at Dell then back to the wizard. "That's a lot of faith you are placing on a Half--on him." Dell scowled but kept his mouth shut.

"We've had a demonstration of his control. We're all still alive after our group attacked him," Lerrisen admitted. The commander stared at the wizard then nodded.

They arrived at the huge courtyard before the courthouse. Except the building couldn't be seen as it was hidden behind a massive wall of greenery and vines.

Now, Dell felt the sword take notice. The staff was nearby. "She's here," he said, fighting back the urge to charge into those vines with his sword swinging.

"That greenery is likely poisonous," Lerrisen said. "It's a Druid defense spell."

"Stop here," Dell said. He was vibrating with the sword's urge to kill, and he needed to approach at a more gradual rate.

"I-I think you should stay back for now. I'm going to need every bit of my concentration to control the sword. It's a treacherous bastard," Dell said as he hopped down from the back of the wagon.

Kharza followed him down, and he looked at her. "I promised your father. I will guard your back," she insisted.

Dell wanted to argue, but the curse drew him so strongly that his anger was fraying his control. He gave the Orc a terse nod then turned to the wall of vines. "Stay a few paces behind me to avoid the sword," he growled out between his teeth.

Then the sword was in his hand, and he was running toward the wall. The closest vines swept toward him, but he slashed them with the blade that was now bathed in black flames. Everything it touched withered and died immediately.

Dell moved forward steadily, the sword sweeping left, right, up, and down, carving a tunnel through the greenery as the surrounding plant life turned black and crumbled to dust.

Bursting out the other side, Dell was almost yanked off his feet and thrown into the air by a mighty cyclone trapped between the courthouse and the wall of vines.

Images of previous battles against the staff bearer flashed through Dell's mind, and he saw the counter for the cyclone spell was to wait it out as the power required to sustain it made the caster weaken quickly. He drove the sword point into the stone tile and anchored himself in place.

Kharza leaped from the opening in the vine wall, and Dell caught her around the waist as she flew by, pulling her to his side.

"What are you doing?" he yelled over the wind.

She shook her head with a wide smile. "The vines were trying to grow back and sting me. Orc skin isn't so easily pierced." She showed him some scratches, and his rage was pushed back a little by his concern for her. She smiled at his expression. "We aren't that easy to poison either."

Dell felt the waves of anger at the center of the storm as the winds began to weaken. It was time.

He could finally see the condition of the courthouse and the courtyard. Vines had ripped the building open, and the bodies of several guards were pressed up against the walls. They were retching pitifully, so they were alive at least. There was an area in the center of the court where the large pavers had been disturbed and were stacked oddly. Then his eyes saw the shrinking whirlwind with someone hiding within the blurring winds.

Images of his next moves played in his head, showing him how to end this. His rage suddenly exploded as the sword drew on the power of the staff, pushing aside his control.

Dell shoved Kharza from him, yanked the sword from the stone, and leaped forward. He knew the lightning would come from the left. It did, and he batted it away with the blade as he jumped through the air, eliminating his connection to the ground. As he landed, he rolled quickly to his feet and threw himself to the right to avoid the blast of hardened ice blades. He swung his sword through the shards, sending a spray of them back at the caster.

This, this was his moment to strike. As the Druid Staff wielder stumbled backward from the stinging ice crystals, he launched his thrust.

Time slowed as he aimed the deadly sword point toward his opponent's heart and the distance between them shrank.

Her arms were dropping, and he saw her lovely violet eyes widen as she suddenly became aware of her impending death.

Dell could see her face now, and recognition struck him like a torrent of ice water. He seized control of his body from the incandescent rage within and reversed the direction of his thrust, the point of the sword coming to a gentle stop as it barely pricked her skin. He pulled all that forward momentum from the weapon into his arm, then his body to channel it down to his legs for a mighty kick against the flagstones of the courtyard.

This wasn't the most graceful of moves, but he flew past her to hit the ground with his shoulder, then his head, and he rolled like a crazed tumbleweed. The sword fell from his grip as he bashed his head against the stones again.

The lights went out for Dell, and he slipped into the darkness.

-=-

Eryllis sucked in a breath, then a second as she recovered from her barely averted demise. At the sound of the steel clattering against the stonework, her mind filled once more with the fiery vengeance she desperately wanted, and the swordsman was delaying. She pointed the Druid staff at the sprawled out brutish body and summoned the lightning once more. He couldn't avert his doom now.

A green blur leaped between her and her target just as she released the bolt.

It struck the wide blades of a battle-ax and traveled through the body of a female Orc--KHARZA!