This Strange World Needs a Kicking! Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let's just see how this thing tastes," he said abruptly and grabbed his fork.

He had to work his way through the slice with the knife, and Tani followed his example. They were both leaning over the plate, and they exchanged a look before gathering the courage to push the bite-size morsels they had cut into their mouths.

For a moment, they kept staring at each other without daring to chew. Then, at the same time, they began.

"It's, um," Sebastian started once he managed to push the piece of meat down his throat, "dry."

"--not so bad," Tani said right away.

"Not so bad?" he exclaimed, surprised by Tani's judgment of the drab affair on their plate.

"Hey, it's our first," Tani pointed out. "Who's perfect from the first try?"

I am. I must be. I am Prince Sebastian of Ifigia, and people expect nothing less of me.

"It's edible," Tani continued. "And at least, I think we got the spices right."

Sebastian cut another piece and tasted it. Actually, Tani wasn't entirely off the mark. The taste wasn't all that bad. And even if it was dry, the meat could be eaten.

"We'll just remove the burnt edges from the crust," Tani suggested. She jumped off her stool and headed over to the pot in which their dish lay.

Sebastian walked over to lend her a hand, making sure to avoid an egg dropped in the middle of the kitchen. "I see. It looks like a plucked chicken now, but I suppose it's better than having to taste all those burned pieces."

"What happened here?"

They both turned with guilt written all over their faces to witness Mrs. Martin standing in the door, with her hands on her hips. She looked surprised but not mad, which Sebastian couldn't figure why. The state of the kitchen was deplorable, and she would probably have to clean for a long time to return it to some kind of normality.

"We cooked for you," Tani said enthusiastically.

"You did?"

Sebastian couldn't tell what it was about Mrs. Martin that he liked so much, but when she smiled the way she did right now, she was just so beautiful. It wasn't an aesthete's reaction she rose in him, and not one to have anything in common with lust since he never looked at women that way, but it was like her smile reached his heart directly, all barricades useless.

"Yeah. Kai made some cash, and we thought to surprise you with this. Ta-da!" Tani gestured toward the table with both hands.

Mrs. Martin walked over, took them by the shoulders, and then looked at the strange dish with unhidden amusement. "Let's see what you two did."

"You shouldn't eat it," Sebastian said sternly. "The meat is dry, and we burned the crust."

"What a doomer," Tani said with a sigh. "Just try it, mom. It's not as bad as Kai makes it to be."

To his astonishment, Mrs. Martin let go of their shoulders and cut herself a piece. She tasted it, chewed for a while, and then appeared to have swallowed. "It's the first time you two are cooking," she said.

She wasn't smiling anymore, and Sebastian tensed. Of course, now came the reprimand for their terrible lack of skill. He yelped when Mrs. Martin grabbed him and kissed his head and then did the same with Tani. "You're good kids, you two."

"We totally are," Tani said, full of herself. She wasn't in the least impressed by being hugged by Mrs. Martin, unlike him.

"And because you two are such good kids, you'll now clean the kitchen."

That seemed to deflate Tani in an instant. "Do we have to?" she whined.

Mrs. Martin ruffled her hair. "Yes, you do." Her voice was still affectionate as she told them that. "Well, Kai will have to trade in another chore."

"Why?" Tani was not getting ready for battle.

Mrs. Martin threw Sebastian a soft, knowing look. "Milo's in front of the building and doesn't want to come up. He's waiting for Kai."

"Just tell him you're busy." Tani pushed his phone into his hand. "No way you're leaving me behind. I'm your fallen comrade. Don't do it, Kai."

Mrs. Martin laughed. "I'll help you this time, Tani. And don't worry, Kai won't be off the hook. I'll make sure he pays his debts in full. Now, off you go, Kai."

Didn't he have a choice? He would rather stay and clean. A look at his surroundings convinced him that it would be a rushed decision. He stuffed his phone into his pocket and walked out, a lingering pleasant sensation still with him after being hugged like that by Mrs. Martin.

TBC

12